Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress I wish I could remember what thread this was in but the brutality of the replies to this recipe were legend.

Edit: I refuse to add a picture for sniping :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Throw full ears of corn into a pot with various chili peppers and other seasonings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I make my chili entirely out of avocados

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I make my chili entirely out of avocados

I know this is a joke but I have actually had this. There's an avocado restaurant fairly close to me. They also do an avocado curry

They're ok but not amazing

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is there something particularly amazing for red meat free chili (aside from ground turkey which would be the default)? I kinda want chili now and I haven't had any in quite some time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tashilicious posted:

gently caress I wish I could remember what thread this was in but the brutality of the replies to this recipe were legend.

The quoted post in the post you quoted links to the thread

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Is there something particularly amazing for red meat free chili (aside from ground turkey which would be the default)? I kinda want chili now and I haven't had any in quite some time.

Literally just leave out the red meat and you've still got yourself a great chilli

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:allears:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Possibly the best:

porizj posted:

I'm so sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities. All I have to go on is about 10 years of people lining up to fellate me after trying my chili.

Scientastic posted:

Anything to get the taste out of their mouth, I suppose.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Tashilicious posted:

Click the "[name] posted" at the top of the quote and it will take you to that post.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boy i hope more people tell me to click the quoted name

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tashilicious posted:

boy i hope more people tell me to click the quoted name

Click the "[name] posted" at the top of the quote and it will take you to that post.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Summa Cum Pi

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Just make chili beans! One pound of mixed black, kidney and pinto beans, cleaned and soaked overnight, plus a diced medium onion and three-four diced peppers, half a head of garlic minced, a good vegetable broth to bring some flavor, a small can of chipotles in adobo, chili powder and extra cumin to taste. Hominy is a very legit addition.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bike tory posted:

Ok so I have a question. For years saturated fat got a bad rap for various reasons and recent research showed that this was somewhat flawed and that it wasnt bad as part of a balanced diet at all, but I feel like almost overnight we went from "saturated fat = heart attack" to people cooking with/baking with/adding to everything/straight up shotgunning coconut oil or coconut products, which are mostly saturated fat. So I guess my question is how did coconut suddenly become health food of the month when probably it's not actually that great for you in significant quantities?

Like other health foods are generally still pretty nutritious and good for you even once you strip away all the snake oil claims, but coconut?

I know someone already answered this, but the way I figure it went something like: people got all afraid of butter being unhealthy, but then someone found this other thing that's basically like butter, for better and for worse, but it sounds fancier and people aren't afraid of it, plus it has this "one weird trick" where you can also use it on your skin, how quirky!

I admit I bought into the hype for a while and was using it in everything (except where it didn't taste right). I still use it in a lot of things because it tastes good sometimes, but I'm no longer under the illusion that it's healthier than butter. Or that butter is inherently unhealthy.

Edit: also it's good that we were on that hype train for a while, because it prepared us to be able to cook without dairy for our baby who's allergic to it. (Hopefully not for long.)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Sep 18, 2018

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Chili is just kinda like an American curry.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Applesnots posted:

This is not wrong.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applesnots posted:

What kind of beans go into curry?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Iron Crowned posted:

All of them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Iron Crowned posted:

https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/5-bean-curry-recipe/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

even the bad ones?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Iron Crowned posted:

Curry is just a dish made with local (to India) spices and whatever the hell you want. Same with chili.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

That looks drat tasty.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Iron Crowned posted:

even the bad ones?

As long as they're not rotting, bean away.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah gently caress don't post that right now I'm soooo hungry

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Sometimes I make chili with guajillos, arboles, lard, sweet potatoes, black beans, lamb or goat, beef, and a poo poo-ton of onions. Just before serving it I throw on a salad’s worth of cilantro, lime juice, queso fresco, and sliced red jalapeños, then drizzle it with crema and serve with fried tortillas.

Sometimes I open a can of Hormels, microwave the contents, pour it over a bag of fritos, and top with an avalanche of cheddar and chopped white onions.

Sometimes I make straight up chili rojo and stew things in it, or thin it with beer and make enchiladas desayunos. Sometimes I make the chili sauce very heavy with cocoa, dark chocolate, chipotles, and even cone sugar, omit much of the fat, then serve it with ripe avocados and radishes.

Sometimes I mix a can of baked beans with a can of diced tomatoes and a pound of ground beef, and serve that over rice, the “chili con carney” of my childhood.

Sometimes I even combine chorizo and roasted chicken with poblanos and/or hatch, crushed tortilla chips, jalapeños, blackened tomatillos, and fresh lime juice for a green chili that must be served with heaps of sour cream and fresh thick tortillas.

Chili in all its ridiculous forms, from authentic to unrecognizable, lies close to my heart. And other organs.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

What about that placenta?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I;m thinking about that placenta

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

Chickpeas would be a natural fit.

Iron Crowned posted:

even the bad ones?

Especially the bad ones!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Applesnots posted:

Do people normally eat curry with rice? I just thought that was just something weird I do (because I guess I was subconsciously curryizing it).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A date once served me curried chicken hearts and kidney beans.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

Do people normally eat curry with rice? I just thought that was just something weird I do (because I guess I was subconsciously curryizing it).
I do, but that's mostly because my dad was big on rice for dinner, with some kind of sauce to make it more palatable to bored kids.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What the hell else would you serve with curry other than rice? Pasta? Potatoes?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah it's pretty much all I've ever had it with, besides naan.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

What the hell else would you serve with curry other than rice? Pasta? Potatoes?

Rice is common, but so is naan, roti, chapati, even papadum. Potatoes also work.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

God, am I want right now is the red curry from the local Vietnamese restaurant.

(It comes with rice.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in india we had some on some grains occasionally, and a few times on potatoes, naan was almost always available. its extremely regional depending on where you are, the availability of ingredients and the local tastes. you can have 5 completely different dishes depending on region all called the same thing but completely different.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Picnic Princess posted:

As long as they're not rotting, bean away.

What do you have against natto curry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

There are no curry rules.