Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unsafe at any version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

android 9 has a "gesture mode" you can enable instead of the traditional 3 soft buttons that usually sit on the black bar down there. it doesn't make the black bar area any smaller and the gestures are crap

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

sleepwalkers posted:

phones on the android 9.0 pie (thank you) are randomly having the battery saver mode turn on at 99%.

can android phones finally make it through a typical day on a single charge? maybe it's intentional.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

android 9 has a "gesture mode" you can enable instead of the traditional 3 soft buttons that usually sit on the black bar down there. it doesn't make the black bar area any smaller and the gestures are crap

its the worst and clearly just aping apple, it's supposed to be the default method of navigation on the new goog phones which is p lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i press the soft keys with my middle finger anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

In case anyone is interested in the Pocophone F1, or others running MIUI, hopefully you don't mind seeing ADs..........in your settings menu:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
is nothing sacred?? :argh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

software as a service

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

and that's why smart carriers wait a year or more before letting you upgrade. thanks, lab rats :smugndar:

the hell is that smiley spelling? should be android

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

akadajet posted:

I wondered this as well and it is apparently sundar except smugndar and now my question is who the gently caress was dumb enough to both come up with that and think it was worth thirty dollars or whatever

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

im 4.67kb/s

no wait im "analytics" (aka the phone sending google everything you do every 5 seconds)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

I wondered this as well and it is apparently sundar except smugndar and now my question is who the gently caress was dumb enough to both come up with that and think it was worth thirty dollars or whatever

with the forum's finances in the shitter a number of people have chosen to buy custom smilies, avatars, etc at a somewhat higher rate than previously.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Midjack posted:

with the forum's finances in the shitter a number of people have chosen to buy custom smilies, avatars, etc at a somewhat higher rate than previously.

yeah, i've bought more avatars than usual lately

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:yossame: is the only smiley I can remember buying

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

yeah, i've bought more avatars than usual lately

bless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
game boost engaged

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the red X graphic used to mean "on"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's actually a pair of crossed swords, which makes perfect sense, and furthermore

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wow, they built a temperature sensor right into the back

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

according to this, your battery is currently at rainbow road° C

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anthonypants posted:

wow, they built a temperature sensor right into the back

yeah, the rgb thing is really overdone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hey Android app goons, got a, *ahem* question about private / encrypted gallery apps.

Anyone know if there are any that support one of or both of nested galleries / albums and photo tagging?

Thanks!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:whitewater:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

akadajet posted:

oh lol I don't know. I meant to post the regular smug one but i picked that by mistake because I Ihave jiffs disabled unless I press them

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

there was a goon who made one of these picture viewers in androids early days but they werent a native english speaker and called the app "beaver browser" without knowing what beaver was slang for. it was up on the market for years before they were informed as to the double entendre and they renamed the app and now idk what its called

i alwqys found it appropriate that ofc the first goon app was a hidden picture vault

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pussy peeper

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
vulviewer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

there was a goon who made one of these picture viewers in androids early days but they werent a native english speaker and called the app "beaver browser" without knowing what beaver was slang for. it was up on the market for years before they were informed as to the double entendre and they renamed the app and now idk what its called

i alwqys found it appropriate that ofc the first goon app was a hidden picture vault

frost is the current name of that one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone keeps buying these

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i know one guy who does becuase he INSISTS he needs a physical keyboard for whatever it is he does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bet i can type faster with swype than he can with that thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

someone keeps buying these

i assume the canadian government buys them and destroys them as a make work program?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. they're made by TCL and BBY is just a licensed brand now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so long as there is an office in canada there is a reason to move money to it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a mid-sized office block in waterloo just stuffed to the rafters with cdn $100 bills

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its that or send it to bombardier

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

you’re just supposed to use it to create a private archive of photos of your balls , Incase you get balls cancer , so you can compare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

imagine buying this instead of an ipad

LastInLine posted:

Figured I'd give an update since I just got this in the beta channel on Tab 10 and this will be the launch software for the Pixelbook tablet when it comes out.

It does make some some substantial changes to the tablet UI. An autohiding shelf is now the default, the app close UI is different in that you can't pull down from the top to get close/minimize buttons (it instead triggers the app switcher), and the app drawer is now pretty much an iPad interface.

The problems though with ChromeOS as a tablet only OS remain. The stylus still can't do text selection. It still routinely loses both your rotation lock and brightness selectons (the Tab 10 can't do autobrightness which is really annoying).

But the worst thing, far and away, is the the virtual keyboard just doesn't work. The Android subsystem, at least in beta 70, is still 7.1.1 so you can't load gBoard (or any other keyboard). The only keyboard you do have is difficult to imagine if you've never used it. It won't capitalize the first word of any sentence or the letter "i". It inserts random spaces if you ever move the cursor (but doesn't unless you do this) so sometimes you'll get two spaces between words or spaces within words. Autocorrection is spotty at best and sometimes just absent. It also won't let you select a past word and get suggestions to change it so you have to manually backspace out a missed word and retype it. I tried typing this post on that keyboard but only got two sentences in before I had to give up and use a different device, it simply doesn't work at all.

Oh yeah, depending on the app the keyboard might just cover the text area you're entering into. Some apps, like the ChromeOS Hangouts app, will move entire window up so that half of it is out of frame to make room for the keyboard but it means the bottom is visible to see what you're entering. Some, like the Chrome Hangouts extension, won't move at all and keyboard will cover the bottom half of the app making text entry a blind process. Android apps behave like you'd expect where when the keyboard is invoked the app shrinks by half to accommodate it leaving both the top bar and bottom text entry field visible but the text size is scaled for a phone so everything is teeny-tiny. As with everything on ChromeOS as a tablet, everything is a compromise; nothing will ever "just work".

Lastly I should mention that ChromeOS 70 beta on my Tab 10 has been extremely unstable. It's crashed the whole OS twice in ten minutes doing nothing special. It has just gone blank and rebooted. That could just be the Tab 10 though.

All in all if this is the tablet experience you get with a ChromeOS tablet it's really hard to recommend anyone spend earth dollars for one. They're definitely working on it, changes have been coming often as new versions roll out, but there's so much lacking polish and experience breaking bugs that there's just no good reason to buy one unless you just want to torture yourself.