Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

Well this is clearly wrong.

He's king nerd.
I'm more of a nerd serf.

Here's a recent kickass-looking map to conveniently steer the thread back into readability: Demonastery. I've only given it a quick look so far, but the difficulty seems pretty well-balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Is that 100% beef?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

The Kins posted:

I'm more of a nerd serf.

Here's a recent kickass-looking map to conveniently steer the thread back into readability: Demonastery. I've only given it a quick look so far, but the difficulty seems pretty well-balanced.

drat, that looks fantastic. Thanks. I've finally hopped back into wads with Golden Souls 2 which is pretty fun so far, but not very Doomlike.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That Demonastery is demonstrably demonic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Years later and the fleshy hell textures still disturb me.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
way the gently caress into flesh cathedral aesthetic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Power Walrus posted:

I appreciate all the clarification provided over the last page. I honestly don’t know anything about the culture of popular Doom mod devs, and it’s nice to have to some context on how the bigger dogs affect the culture. Honestly, even though I like BD, I’d be happier supporting someone who isn’t an outright shithead, and if people vouch for Brutality’s dev, that’s good enough for me to switch over.

After all, it’s just about shooting pixel demons. There’s no reason to be a petty, racist vindictive piece of poo poo over this stuff.

Yeah but people who are petty and racist can't help but be petty and racist in everything they do :(

The Kins posted:

I'm more of a nerd serf.

That first screenshot looks extremely cool

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i feel like this needs to be emblazoned in 52 pt neon rosewood font but

IF YOU ENJOY THINGS MADE BY GARBAGE PEOPLE THAT'S OK IT DOSEN'T MAKE YOU A GARBAGE PERSON (UNLESS YOU DEFEND THE ACTIONS OF THE AUTHOR)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ETPC posted:

IF YOU ENJOY THINGS MADE BY GARBAGE PEOPLE THAT'S OK IT DOSEN'T MAKE YOU A GARBAGE PERSON (UNLESS YOU DEFEND THE ACTIONS OF THE AUTHOR)

No, we're going in circles, everybody already agrees.

You can separate art from artist and if you like a thing that doesn't mean you endorse everything that person ever did.

But also if some people choose not to buy a thing or watch or play a thing because the creator is awful as a person that's their own choice and perfectly fair too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the separating art from the artist approach is valid, but... sometimes the artist's shittiness encroaches upon the art. You can't really separate Cerebus the Aardvark from how awful Dave Sim is past a certain point. You can't really separate Jeepers Creepers from the fact that Victor Salva is a convicted kiddy diddler.

I kind of feel like BD falls in a similar zone, given stuff like the horrific comment about the plasma gun in the code and the real-life gore gibs. I think it's also way, way more arguable than the other examples I used because it's not really frontloaded and easily noticeable unless you're actively looking. :shrug:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I really like Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood and Doug TenNapel is a contemptible (and rather contemptuous) human being.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh my God there's video now:

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1042193337153806336

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Simulated D!Zone/D!Match screens.

I remember that poo poo well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ETPC posted:

Not my finest work, but fits the bill.

Shadow Hog posted:

I really like Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood and Doug TenNapel is a contemptible (and rather contemptuous) human being.

Same. :sigh:

Y'know, when it's described like that, it makes it sound a lot more appealing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I love it unironically now. I want to see if finished and playable just out of sheer curiosity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah its kinda growing on me as a certain aesthetic.

It really, really nails that back-of-the-box D!Zone art feeling

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I went looking for some of those D!Zone boxes because I remember seeing the cover of one a lot and always being overly interested in the faked screenshots - especially the weird cylindrical gun-wand-thing - and I found two things:

1) I'm not the only one, and it's awesome to finally get a really good look at those screenshots. They've got a more Marathon-y vibe than I remember, and I also didn't remember there being a whole three fake weapons!

2) Thanks for this, so much, the internet

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Max Wilco posted:

Not my finest work, but fits the bill.

holy poo poo

put this in the op

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jokes on u bitch, I like things made by and AM a garbage person! :cool:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ETPC posted:

holy poo poo

put this in the op

Please don't. I think that image came out terribly. I just made it because I thought it would be funny to do it is exactly as you described it. It's hard to read, and the neon effect looks poor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
(Credit to the guy who made one of these a few pages back for giving me the idea)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doom 3 is too dark.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

drat, I wish I had thought to use the generator, instead of making another dumb Photoshop edit. Would have saved a lot of time, and looked a lot more authentic.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 19, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's okay, I like yours better!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's okay, I like yours better!

Thank you.

Admittedly, I don't know if the demand for the Blood source code is a thing anymore now that we have BloodGDX. (I imagine the source code would help with the development of that, though.)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they should release it anyway even though WB owns it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:allears: just all of that was great

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like it when the thread comes together to make something beautiful.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ularg posted:

I like it when the thread comes together to make something beautiful.

Agreed.

Wait so why do people hate Brutal Doom?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Agreed.

Wait so why do people hate Brutal Doom?

It's not optimized very well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Dual wielding weapons is boring. There I said it. Most people don't know how to design a good dual wield weapon, and most of the time you get one and you lose out on other fun parts of the game, like losing the ability to melee and throw grenades in Halo 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Actually I've never been a big fan of dual-wield weapons either.

I suppose I enjoyed the double Enforcers in UT'99 (and I also messed around with the mutator that let you wield all weapons akimbo)...the dual pistols in ROTT weren't too bad (although they're rapidly outclassed by the MP40)...oh, and the dual Uzis in Shadow Warrior are pretty ridiculous and probably one of the best executions I can think of in classic FPS games. But in general, I've never found them satisfying to use. Which is weird, considering that you're literally doubling the firepower, so if one weapon is good, we'd assume that two weapons would be twice as good.

But no, in general, they usually feel sloppy and inaccurate, with longer reloads and dwindling ammunition. There's probably a case to be made that you should always dual-wield weapons in the most recent Wolfenstein installments, but I basically never did that--even on some of the hardest settings.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 19, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ularg posted:

Dual wielding weapons is boring. There I said it. Most people don't know how to design a good dual wield weapon, and most of the time you get one and you lose out on other fun parts of the game, like losing the ability to melee and throw grenades in Halo 2.

Max Payne emerges as the best video game series ever made once again

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Halo 1 Assault Rifle is oddly the most satisfying automatic weapon I've ever used. Something about its inaccuracies and it's incredible sound design makes it so satisfying to use.

(I need to buy/play max payne)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've been messing around with a mod that adds a poo poo ton more characters to samsara and boy is it nice to play with the redneck rampage weapons outside of the terrible redneck rampage levels.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw someone talking about the Marathon and Halo games, and they said something along the lines of, "Halo 2 might let you dual wield weapons, but it still pales to Marathon 2's dual wielding in which you could dual wield sawn-off shotguns."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

Dual wielding weapons is boring.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Actually I've never been a big fan of dual-wield weapons either.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Haven't played the new one, but in New Order it was way easier just to use one weapon and pop people in the head quickly instead of wasting the surprisingly lacking ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw someone talking about the Marathon and Halo games, and they said something along the lines of, "Halo 2 might let you dual wield weapons, but it still pales to Marathon 2's dual wielding in which you could dual wield sawn-off shotguns."

*sawn off shotguns that magically reload by revolver ocelot spinning