Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My S3 battery life was hot garbage today. I'm gonna chalk it up to Overcast sync being poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Walkie-Talkie still tells me my girlfriend doesn't have an Apple Watch, so I can't connect to her.

EDIT: We got it working. Yay?

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 19, 2018

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Matt Zerella posted:

My S3 battery life was hot garbage today. I'm gonna chalk it up to Overcast sync being poo poo.

Overcast disappeared from my Complications after the update?

edit. nvm, had to reinstall it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

Does watchOS 5 do anything worth mentioning for anything older than the brand new watches? This is the update that allows homemade/custom watch faces, right?
Notification grouping is probably the most noticeable basic thing.

I can’t tell if you’re joking about homemade faces, but it’s been possible to make your own watch faces as apps and sideload them. The problem is that you can’t do normal watch face stuff like complications, and no notification/control center cause it’s just an app. watchOS 5 does have one particular change that would make them more usable though, cause you can access notification/control center from any app if you pause for a bit at the edge of the screen before swiping.

Froist posted:

Yeah, the Nike version has all the standard watchfaces plus some exclusive to the Nike edition, that regular watches can never download. I wish the Apple Store employee that I asked this exact question to last year knew this, but by the time I’d opened my regular one it wasn’t worth returning it just for some watchfaces.

Edit: plus the band which you can now buy separately I think.
The Nike ones also have an extra color usable on the other regular Apple faces! I forget if there’s any more colors but the one I’m thinking of is their neon yellow "volt" color.

Small White Dragon posted:

Sending text messages with Siri on the watch is weird. After showing me the message it has transcribed, there's a "Don't Send" button but no "Send" button? :confused:
I think it basically works as a default action so you don’t have to do anything afterwards, just minimizing explicit steps. Like it’ll automatically send after however many seconds, with the "don’t send" button there if dictation hosed up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the Nike launches later than the normal watches, so just keep that in mind.

How long has Apple been doing seasonal colors for bands? Do they just rotate the same colors each season with a few new ones, or what?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Matt Zerella posted:

Arment will offer a subscription to fix that, no worries.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Updated last night and WOW the series 3 feels a whole lot faster. I like they added a hiking workout as it seems to track calories better. Also if you leave the summary open instead of dismissing it the watch isn't dog slow when you go back and try to start another workout later.

Overall a vast improvement.

Sup Hiking budy. I am super glad they added Hiking as well, it feels way better imho.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

It's this. Turn off auto sync with the watch in the "Nit picky" settings and then click on the icon of three lines and a plus associated with each episode to send to watch.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

spoon daddy posted:

It's this. Turn off auto sync with the watch in the "Nit picky" settings and then click on the icon of three lines and a plus associated with each episode to send to watch.

Even this method is janky. I had my watch in the charger for a few hours and it kept trying to upload episodes. Then would stop and restart before completing

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi posted:

Is there a stopwatch in the Workout app or can you access the standalone stopwatch whilst using the app? I find it easier to use a stopwatch between my sets instead of having to remember that I finished the last set at hour:23s etc.
Please help me, fellow posters, I'm desperate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

Please help me, fellow posters, I'm desperate.

Is it not possible to just make two watch faces, one with a gigantic fuckoff timer, and switch to it back and forth? I remember you used to be able to just swipe left/right to change watch faces but that might have been a long time ago.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I wish The new watch faces (smoke and metal) were customizable so they fill the whole screen and change to digital numerals. A round face and analogue time are stupid on a square watch like this. I guess they thought it gives you room for your complications.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it not possible to just make two watch faces, one with a gigantic fuckoff timer, and switch to it back and forth? I remember you used to be able to just swipe left/right to change watch faces but that might have been a long time ago.

Yeah you can still have multiple faces and switch by swipe

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I guess you could double-click the crown or other button (I dunno which) to switch between Activity and Stopwatch?

Also maybe look into how Activity handles intervals now, it was a double-tap on the display but it wouldn't show how long the interval went on in watchOS 4, I think. No idea how it is in 5.

edit: you should definitely be able to access the standalone stopwatch, yep. Pressing the crown in Activity should take you back to the watch face and from there you can start whatever.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Media Bloodbath posted:

I wish The new watch faces (smoke and metal) were customizable so they fill the whole screen and change to digital numerals. A round face and analogue time are stupid on a square watch like this. I guess they thought it gives you room for your complications.

I guess they’re trying to keep them away from the edge of the screen to avoid highlighting how big the bezels are on any of the 0-3 series watches? When they demoed the new faces on the 4 it definitely filled the whole screen, but on my 3 they’re constrained to the circle as you say. Looks stupid, but IMO those watchfaces wouldn’t be very attractive even on the 4 sooo..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

How long has Apple been doing seasonal colors for bands? Do they just rotate the same colors each season with a few new ones, or what?

Like, literally as long as they've been making Watches. There's definitely been repeats, but also new ones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone else have the issue where the install fails to verify?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I add a playlist to my watch then later add things to that playlist on my phone, will the changes automatically sync to my watch?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

If I add a playlist to my watch then later add things to that playlist on my phone, will the changes automatically sync to my watch?

I think the watch has to be on the charger before it syncs playlists.

Also, watchOS 5 seems to be handing out exercise minutes and calories like candy, even without doing a workout.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think the watch has to be on the charger before it syncs playlists.

Oh that’s fine, as long as it does it on its own. I change my workout playlist a lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I do the same with a smart playlist. If you go into the watch app > Music on your phone, you can see it start to sync shortly after you put your watch on the charger.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I think Spotify should make an app soon TBF.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, watchOS 5 seems to be handing out exercise minutes and calories like candy, even without doing a workout.

I'm getting this as well. I was sat playing League at I somehow filled like 1/3 of my move ring and completed it :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

I'm getting this as well. I was sat playing League at I somehow filled like 1/3 of my move ring and completed it :confused:

What was your APM or the gently caress ever? Maybe you were mainlining some monster or something?

Violator
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone else have the issue where the install fails to verify?

Reboot your watch and phone. I had the same issue and it failed three times to install. Rebooted and everything worked.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Managed to get my watch updated in time to go for a run.

I like the new rolling pace but with five bits of info on the screen they’re looking a bit small on the screen of my 42mm watch - especially when trying to read when running.

Would be nice if they got rid of the unnecessary time and workout icon and expanded everything to fit the space.

I think you can modify what data gets displayed, but I don’t remember how.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Violator posted:

Reboot your watch and phone. I had the same issue and it failed three times to install. Rebooted and everything worked.

Yeah looks like that’s what it was. Thanks!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Anyone interested in an SBSS S3LTE? If so I’ll throw it up on samart

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

What was your APM or the gently caress ever? Maybe you were mainlining some monster or something?

I was playing a right click champion so not even that high. Was pretty chill and not on any Gamer Fuel™, no

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've convinced myself that LTE is a waste of money for me. Now to waffle over which color I want.

Probably Space Gray again because I'm boring and all my other iStuff is space gray.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Violator posted:

I've rebooted both several times and it just won't finish, and my estimated times are all over the place. A few minutes ago it said 36 minutes (it said this without changing for ten minutes), right now it's stuck on "estimated time remaining..." for five minutes, and last night it would bounce between 28 minutes and 6 hours. It's 700mb, it's weird that this is so hard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pants Donkey posted:

It's weird to me that Apple didn't add native sleep-tracking to the Series 4. Seems like a bog standard feature on every smartwatch/fitness tracker and, while paying three bucks for an app to do that isn't a huge ask, it does stick out on a $500 device.

I have to assume it's because they didn't improve the battery life so they expect you to charge it overnight.

MarcusSA posted:

Or maybe they feel it doesn't really work that well?

If I tried to sleep with one I’d break it.

Also I can’t sleep with socks or even most clothes on unless it’s absolutely frigid so the idea of sleeping with a watch on feels like sleeping with glasses.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Does the raise for Siri thing work on series 1?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

I can’t tell if you’re joking about homemade faces, but it’s been possible to make your own watch faces as apps and sideload them. The problem is that you can’t do normal watch face stuff like complications, and no notification/control center cause it’s just an app. watchOS 5 does have one particular change that would make them more usable though, cause you can access notification/control center from any app if you pause for a bit at the edge of the screen before swiping.

The Nike ones also have an extra color usable on the other regular Apple faces! I forget if there’s any more colors but the one I’m thinking of is their neon yellow "volt" color.

There’s also the photos/live photos face that lets you upload your own images or gifs/live photos and use complications. There are lots of face repositories and tutorials for making them from stuff other than live photos available online.

Also- how different is Volt from the ”flash” color that’s available on the standard versions?

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it depends on the band and the stock they have on hand. Apple kind of hides their “last season’s bands” section on their online store but it’s there, and you can see what’s available in person at your local Fruit Stand.

And some colors stick around for a while in general stock even when they aren’t being seasonally featured (last fall’s orange and “flash” sport loops come to mind. I snapped them both up in November and they were still available in the spring after the line turned over and most of the fall colors were replaced and I picked up “flash light”- which is mostly the same neon green as “flash” but the dark accent is white, making it much brighter looking. IDK I have a thing for bright green). The black and seashell sport loops have been the same as far as I’m aware since last fall, and probably before that.

Popular colors from one season will also often get a slight tweak for the next, like spring’s “Tahoe blue” getting replaced with the new “Cape Cod blue.”

Third party sellers will often keep selling older stock until they run out, so if you know the specific name of a discontinued color you want, or search for something like “sport loop spring 2018 blue” there’s a good chance of still finding it.

But basically, if you see a color you like before March/September buy it because it may not be available afterward. But also be prepared for the chance that Apple make a version of that color that you like even more.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think it depends on the band and the stock they have on hand. Apple kind of hides their “last season’s bands” section on their online store but it’s there, and you can see what’s available in person at your local Fruit Stand.
Where is this? The only ones I can find look to be current (or is the new season not yet up?)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Vapour watchface aesthetics :2bong:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Where is this? The only ones I can find look to be current (or is the new season not yet up?)

New season went up after the keynote. In the iOS Apple Store app, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the “watchbands” page there’s an “Explore previous seasons’ bands” button that links to a page where the available old bands can be seen (right now it seems to be mostly white, black, etc). Also if you select any band and go to the ‘more images/choose your size and whether to buy’ page you can choose between all available color options.

No idea how it works on the website.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ManSedan posted:

Does the raise for Siri thing work on series 1?

S3+

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey all my watch faces added a Now Playing icon where the notification dot goes. That’s cool, frees up a complication spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My red dot 🔴 is cycling between “now playing” and “phone.” I can’t think of a time when I’d want to initiate a call that way, but I keep hitting it when I want “now playing.”

Any way to make the Phone icon go away?

edit: bug maybe? Watch didn’t seemed to get the message that I had ended a FaceTime call with my kid 3 hours ago. Maybe because I ended it via Bluetooth? Making another FaceTime call made the icon go away.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2018