Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

Pretty promising stuff though, if the roll-out to backers goes forward smoothly it should turn out to be a lot better result to the whole ordeal than I'd been expecting.

I reckon I'll stick with the 8k rather than switching to the 5K+. It'll probably have me shelling out for a next gen graphics card too at some point, sounds like my 1080 isn't going to cut it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNwAX-C7wU

Yeah ok scratch that. After watching this video I'm going the 5K+, when I get asked. The first 100 backers have apparently been asked for shipping details, I'm in the 600s so hopefully in the next month or two.

They've really been pushing the 5k+, it'll be interesting to see if this causes delays - it really seems to me like the 5k+ is objectively better and most people will choose it. Maybe the new panels are cheaper than the 4k ones in the 8k so they're saving themselves money by 'downgrading' people to the 5k+?

Either way there is way to many k's in this post.

Early 2019 for pimax/knuckles setup? Better late than never, for both. Hopefully there's some cool new software to take advantage of it by then as well, my vive is actually packed up in the closet now.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like they nailed the 5k but the 8k is totally pointless with the upscaling. If I were them I'd cut my losses, sell the 5k now, cancel both the 8k and 8kX and replace those two with a new 8k that uses the new VirtualPort cable in the RTX card to drive the native resolution instead of the dual DP cables or whatever it is they're doing. It doesn't sound like a 1080ti is going to drive much at that resolution anyway unless you're only playing stuff with very simple graphics.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight I got Fallout 4 VR working with the Regrowth mod, which makes the ugly brown wasteland very green and pretty - by buying the Fallout 4 non-VR Season Pass so I could download 86 gigs of game in order to copy a bunch of DLC files from the data folder of Fallout 4 over to Fallout 4 VR. Very stupid, but the end effect is very lovely, especially in VR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knifegrab posted:

:siren: :siren: AIRHORN :siren: :siren:

KNUCKLES INFO BOYS

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508356684

edit: So its not a ton of new info, they are producing EV3, and it sounds like it might be the final dev kit before release since all of the changes are fairly minor. However battery life is a whopping 7-8 hours which seems pretty awesome.

This is pretty much what I expected might happen. The hardware fixes are mostly the kinds of things that can only crop up with a couple of thousand users stress-testing the hell out of them with constant use, while the rest is just general user feedback. Given they're increasing the quantity produced, it's fair to say the EV3 might well be the retail version too.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah I think give it another 3 months of wider testing to see if any other minor issues crop up that need fixing, and if its all good start building up stock and probably looking at beginning of 2019 launch.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

It seems like they nailed the 5k but the 8k is totally pointless with the upscaling. If I were them I'd cut my losses, sell the 5k now, cancel both the 8k and 8kX and replace those two with a new 8k that uses the new VirtualPort cable in the RTX card to drive the native resolution instead of the dual DP cables or whatever it is they're doing. It doesn't sound like a 1080ti is going to drive much at that resolution anyway unless you're only playing stuff with very simple graphics.

8k possibly the better choice if you get a 2080ti?? Um..

Maybe if it turns out they sell 8ks to commercial you could too and get a starvr at xmas with the profits!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I think give it another 3 months of wider testing to see if any other minor issues crop up that need fixing, and if its all good start building up stock and probably looking at beginning of 2019 launch.

I'd be optimistic and say there's an outside chance of a limited Christmas release, just because it's the final-ish revision and feature-complete with only minor changes. But yeah, early 2019 would be my guess as well.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be optimistic and say there's an outside chance of a limited Christmas release, just because it's the final-ish revision and feature-complete with only minor changes. But yeah, early 2019 would be my guess as well.

If theres one thing i've learned in 4 years of this wacky VR world, its never be optimistic of release dates :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I like how 7-8 hours battery life for knuckles is "whopping" when the Touch controllers go for 7-8 weeks on a AA somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I like how 7-8 hours battery life for knuckles is "whopping" when the Touch controllers go for 7-8 weeks on a AA somehow.

Apples and oranges. Oculus Touch controllers last ages because they just have to emit infrared light and send out a gyroscope value while the cameras do the heavy lifting. Vive Wands, and Knuckles, have to read incoming light and process their own relative position. The short answer is they're working a lot harder.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apples and oranges. Oculus Touch controllers last ages because they just have to emit infrared light and send out a gyroscope value while the cameras do the heavy lifting. Vive Wands, and Knuckles, have to read incoming light and process their own relative position. The short answer is they're working a lot harder.

I don't get why receiving light should take more energy than emitting it... and wouldn't the processing of position be a simple calculation? Doesn't sound like it would be CPU intensive for whatever SoC the wands have.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought the controllers just sent the raw data, and as noted receiving should be a passive process. I'm as mystified as to why the Rift controllers are apparently more battery efficient as Zero is, other than perhaps a more powerful transmitter and/or haptics.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Every single sensor for the lighthouse system has its own ASIC behind it, as it has to read that its detected the light, then relay that information and its timing, along with the usual haptics and wireless controller functions. The touch controllers just have to have send a dumb pulse to series of LED's with no computations needing to be done.

The real one that puzzles me is the WMR controllers needing 2 batteries each and only lasting like 5 hours apparently.

EDIT:

Heres the entirety of the tracking LED array on the Rift:

Heres the vive wand, with every sensor needing a dedicated circuit board and components:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 19, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
No wonder they're so expensive. Wait that's mostly down to HTC

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can buy the tracker bits for a few bux each yourself, but vive wand still has like 25? so it's not going to be cheap even if you DIY.

e: i'm counting 22 sensors, at $6 each that's $132 just for the sensors if you DIY lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 19, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Obviously the manufacturers are going to be paying a lot less, but just as a point of illustration to Truga's talk about the price, you can get the detector chips with the photodiode, asic, and the rest of it, in lots of 1000+ for $6 each. Start trying to build your own controller and thats going to add up fast, never mind the IMU, and ARM chip to take the IMU and sensor data, sort it and send it all back to the computer.

EDIT: Buying the parts to make a vive tracker yourself (no buttons, sticks, batteries or any of that even), would cost you about $200 dollars between this and this.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 19, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Starting to see the downside of I-O tracking

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Starting to see the downside of I-O tracking

Well, I mean depends on how its done really, inside out encompasses anything that tracks from the device. I mean stick a couple webcams (or 4 in the case of SC), and that will do your tracking just fine now. Heck your phone can do decent positional tracking with its one camera and ARCore.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Every single sensor for the lighthouse system has its own ASIC behind it, as it has to read that its detected the light, then relay that information and its timing, along with the usual haptics and wireless controller functions. The touch controllers just have to have send a dumb pulse to series of LED's with no computations needing to be done.

The real one that puzzles me is the WMR controllers needing 2 batteries each and only lasting like 5 hours apparently.

They last a bit longer than that. But AAs have a lot less energy density than lithium batteries, so I would guess it's that combined with running a high-rate bluetooth transmitter, imu, and the fairly bright LEDs. A good comparison would be the DS4 controller which also gets not great battery life compared to an Xbox or Wii u pro controller

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

They last a bit longer than that. But AAs have a lot less energy density than lithium batteries, so I would guess it's that combined with running a high-rate bluetooth transmitter, imu, and the fairly bright LEDs. A good comparison would be the DS4 controller which also gets not great battery life compared to an Xbox or Wii u pro controller

I think the question is how they need 2 batteries and last 5 hours while doing effectively the same things (send Gyro data, and light up LEDs in a pattern) as the Touch that uses 1 battery and lasts weeks if not months.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I think the question is how they need 2 batteries and last 5 hours while doing effectively the same things (send Gyro data, and light up LEDs in a pattern) as the Touch that uses 1 battery and lasts weeks if not months.

I didn't realize the touch also used AA batteries. Good on oculus

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Question for Oculus bros: how is your space set up? Specifically, how do you set up your sensors, and do you have to set it up every time? Do you have a dedicated room? Wall mounts?

If I want to do a VR session I have basically 15 minutes of setup minimum - slide the couch and chair, plug in my devices, go get my tripods and set them up, and then do a full tracking setup (not to mention deal with any inevitable USB weirdness). I end up with a decent space but it hijacks my whole living room. Cords strewn about. I’m wondering if most people have everything mounted and ready to go so they don’t have to do all this poo poo if they want to play some VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Question for Oculus bros: how is your space set up? Specifically, how do you set up your sensors, and do you have to set it up every time? Do you have a dedicated room? Wall mounts?

If I want to do a VR session I have basically 15 minutes of setup minimum - slide the couch and chair, plug in my devices, go get my tripods and set them up, and then do a full tracking setup (not to mention deal with any inevitable USB weirdness). I end up with a decent space but it hijacks my whole living room. Cords strewn about. I’m wondering if most people have everything mounted and ready to go so they don’t have to do all this poo poo if they want to play some VR.

I have a foam mattress I cut in half with a box cutter so I'd have room for a permanent setup in my bedroom. I have four cameras I mounted to my walls, and I taped a 4'x4' foam mat to the floor for my playspace

Yes, this is insane

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Yeah my setup is in my office, so front cameras are sitting on top of my desk hutch and 3rd camera is on top of a bookshelf behind me. I leave everything plugged in, so all I have to do is move my office chair out of the way and put on the headset.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I too am confused why my led keychain flashlight has better battery life than my laptop :downs:

People really and truly seem to misunderstand how much more power is necessary even for relatively simple microprocessors as it compares to emitting light through an LED.

Oculus didn't magically create more energy efficiency, its just what they need for their tracking demands less energy. By several orders of magnitude.

You also have to consider weight. the knuckles controllers have a pretty slim profile, so they probably don't want to add much bulk with a huge battery. And why would they? Who is playing games for longer than 7+ hrs in a row so no idea why its even an issue.

Plus built-in recharable Li-ion better than replaceable AA's any day, change my mind.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 19, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's annoying to be caught in a situation where you have to stop playing because you forgot to charge as opposed to being able to swap the batteries when you need to

I guess you could put a portable usb charger in your pocket and wire up, but if you have rechargeable AA's it's way better on balance

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm just glad to have two fewer things that I need to bother plugging in to charge. Between cell phones and other gadgets my desk is already a rat's nest of cables.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

AndrewP posted:

I have my Rift set up in my office/maker room with 3 cameras in the corners attached to the wall with 3M command strips and some 3D printed Rift camera mounts. I bought an active usb extension cable and my 3rd camera came with an additional extension cable to reach the far corners. I had to reset up my room a few weeks back but before that it had been about 6 months since I messed with setup.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Guess I'm lucky cause I've never had my wands run out of battery cause I am capable of plugging two things in :shrug:

Its especially odd to hear "I don't like plugging two things in" when you all are talking about your setup to get a bit of extra room space. Ya'll have weird priorities.

Lemming posted:

I have a foam mattress I cut in half with a box cutter so I'd have room for a permanent setup in my bedroom. I have four cameras I mounted to my walls, and I taped a 4'x4' foam mat to the floor for my playspace

Yes, this is insane

lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tom Guycot posted:

I just bought a 48-pack of AA's from Best Buy for like 9 bucks because of the WMR controllers.

I should really just get rechargeables, I'm not an environmentalist by any means but this is just incredibly wasteful.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

I just bought a 48-pack of AA's from Best Buy for like 9 bucks because of the WMR controllers.

I should really just get rechargeables, I'm not an environmentalist by any means but this is just incredibly wasteful.

Honestly do it, rechargeables are good and disposable batteries are apparently really lovely for the enviornment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

D:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJBDVIM/

All the AA's you could ever need, you can even get the 4 pack and save eight bucks if that's all you'll use

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

Amazon branded ones are pretty decent. I also bought those ones with USB ports mentioned earlier and have been using them with my Oculus Go controller. Seemed like a good idea since I could carry an extra one with the headset and I would always have a USB charger with it anymore.

This nutty thing would be interesting https://amzn.to/2pn6pZp
You just dump the batteries in the top and then the charged ones end up in a bin at the bottom. Extreme laziness activated.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AndrewP posted:

I have it set up in a dedicated office. So I just put on the headset and step back from my desk, or have to fiddle with a bunch of stuff if using my Vive setup. Even then it's sometimes hard getting over that hurdle so it's been weeks since I've done any non-Oculus Go development VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

I've had everything in the same place for over a year now, 3 sensors up in the corners near the ceiling. I just put on my headset, I haven't thought about sensors and tracking setups in ages. The cords run along the baseboard and everything is out of the way and unnoticeable (except the cable going down the wall obviously.).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Mine's in my bedroom/study. Two cameras sat on the windowsills behind my desk, facing out into the middle of the room, one mounted on the ceiling in the middle of the room pointing back towards the other two.

I would never use the thing if I had to reposition and set up the whole thing fresh every time.

Knifegrab posted:

Plus built-in recharable Li-ion better than replaceable AA's any day, change my mind.
I'd definitely prefer this, because unless you check your battery levels and swap out where necessary at the beginning of each session, then at some point your Touch controllers will run out of battery in the middle of a multiplayer match, and that's really drat annoying.
Best thing would be to have some kind of charging dock you could leave the things in between play sessions.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 19, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, Microsoft.com and Amazon have the HTC official Wireless Adapter for Vive/VivePro up for sale.

It ships on the 24th, and according to Microsoft.com it will be $300. Amazon doesn't list the price.

Amazon does however list a *seperate* accessory pack for another loving $60 which seems like a couple of dongles and foam that should very clearly have been included with the main wireless unit in the first place, you gotta give it to HTC they sure know how to nickel and dime people: https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Wireless-Adapter-PC/dp/B07GY7JZP4 [edit: the $60 add-on is only required if you have a Vive Pro, I guess it you own a Pro then HTC already knows you're not good at holding on to your money]

Here's hoping it's less involved than the insane amount of jank that the TPCast has (need to use the additional included router, needs firmware to use microphone/USB accessories, etc)

AndrewP posted:

I have it dedicated in my bedroom. Cameras are using $6 camera mounts from Amazon, up on the crown molding of the doors to have the highest vantage point. My bed folds up to be a desk, which has the PC on it, so that frees up a ton of space in my room when I'm playing, and hides it all when I have the bed down so that my dates don't realize what a nerd I am.

https://www.costco.com/Bed-%2526-Room-Porter-Queen-Portrait-Wall-Bed-with-Desk-in-Walnut.product.100299752.html

$2000 is a pretty good price considering it serves as both a nice bed and a nice desk, and Costco technically has lifetime returns on furniture. I recommend it if you have the dough.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 19, 2018

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Batteries are the first thing to fail in any electronic device, and making them built-in becomes a pain to replace them. AAs you can just swap in and out no problem.

Protocol7 posted:

Lemming posted:

D:

All the AA's you could ever need, you can even get the 4 pack and save eight bucks if that's all you'll use

This Panasonic Charger is better as it doesn't required paired charging like the Amazon one. AAs are pretty much equal across brands though, so buy whatever is cheapest at the time which seems to be these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NEKAEA/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Knifegrab posted:

“I want to play VR games right now but my controller is out of batteries so instead of putting a couple freshly charged double A’s and playing I have to plug my controllers in to charge them and since they take 45 minutes to charge I guess I can’t play right now”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Batteries are the first thing to fail in any electronic device, and making them built-in becomes a pain to replace them. AAs you can just swap in and out no problem.

This Panasonic Charger is better as it doesn't required paired charging like the Amazon one. AAs are pretty much equal across brands though, so buy whatever is cheapest at the time which seems to be these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NEKAEA/

Oooh yeah, I can definitely vouch for the paired charging issue being annoying, I'd go for that one