Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never seen the show and I don't plan on watching it but I'm guessing from y'alls posts, the twist is that they are in hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've never seen the show and I don't plan on watching it but I'm guessing from y'alls posts, the twist is that they are in hell?

More specifically Michael was trying to come up with a fresh idea for the part of hell he was designing and came up with one where the inhabitants thought they were in heaven but then torture each other for eternity by being terrible people to each other.

In other news, Netflix is making a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender show with the original creators of the cartoon.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/421777-avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-series-coming-to-netflix

And in case you missed it, The Raid's Gareth Evans' religious cult horror movie Apostle has a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JdWOqc9Q8

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, called " The Bad Place" in their universe. Ted Danson is a demon that's bored with traditional torture. So he wants to gently caress with them psychologically.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

martinlutherbling posted:

I wish people would stop mentioning the "twist" in the Good Place. Given what the show is about, there is really only one thing the twist *could* be. It's so obvious that saying there is a twist is basically a spoiler in itself. So starting from episode 1 I knew what the reveal would be, and when it happened it was an "ok, moving on" moment. Maybe if I didn't know there was a twist coming it would have been more powerful or at least somewhat surprising. Other than that it is a pretty enjoyable show, if vanilla. Kristen Bell is a gem.

I think something that people don't give the show enough credit for is how quickly and decisively the creators lean into the twist. The basic premise, in terms of where the show starts, could have easily stretched for two or three seasons alone. But they go right for it. Similarly, season two burns through what could essentially be an entire season or two of stuff in like, the premiere episode. Even if you think you know what the twist is going to be, the execution and commitment to it is still commendable.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah the real 'twist' of the Good Place is that there's no point at which it settles into a comfortable status quo. Like after episode 1 you might think "OK that's the setup, now every other episode is some wacky thing happening and she has to cover up that she's not a good person" but nope the plot keeps chugging along to new places.

Like, S2E2 in the hands of greedier creators could've been three seasons of increasingly stale material. Instead they just did one episode that was like a 'best of the best'.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The MSJ posted:

More specifically Michael was trying to come up with a fresh idea for the part of hell he was designing and came up with one where the inhabitants thought they were in heaven but then torture each other for eternity by being terrible people to each other.

In other news, Netflix is making a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender show with the original creators of the cartoon.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/421777-avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-series-coming-to-netflix

And in case you missed it, The Raid's Gareth Evans' religious cult horror movie Apostle has a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JdWOqc9Q8

hell yeah i loved his v/h/s vignette

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm a few episodes into "The First" (Hulu) and really enjoying it. Admittedly I'm a sucker for space dramas and Sean Penn though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Finished Castle Rock. I was really into it, but the last episode felt like a wet fart. I *like* weird shows too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alterian posted:

Finished Castle Rock. I was really into it, but the last episode felt like a wet fart. I *like* weird shows too.

Wow it truly sounds like the ultimate homage to Stephen King.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Yeah the real 'twist' of the Good Place is that there's no point at which it settles into a comfortable status quo. Like after episode 1 you might think "OK that's the setup, now every other episode is some wacky thing happening and she has to cover up that she's not a good person" but nope the plot keeps chugging along to new places.

Like, S2E2 in the hands of greedier creators could've been three seasons of increasingly stale material. Instead they just did one episode that was like a 'best of the best'.

Yeah, this is what's surprising to me, just the number of episodes that I think could have been stretched into more filler. But nope, they keep it tight and it's really so much better for it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've never read Stephen King, but I have enjoyed some of the movies based on his stuff such as Misery.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

I've never read Stephen King, but I have enjoyed some of the movies based on his stuff such as Misery.

Well the majority of his books--even the classics--have terrible endings.

:thejoke:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I love Stephen King, warts and all, but I’m not unconvinced that he doesn’t have a coin that reads “it was aliens” on one side and “psychic child” on the other that he busts out when he gets writer’s block on crafting an ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's how you get a good ending, Steve: chop off about 100 pages off that poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Here's how you get a good ending, Steve: chop off about 100 pages off that poo poo.

But the story doesn’t work without a five page interlude about how the town mailman suffers from terrible farts???

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fart City posted:

I love Stephen King, warts and all, but I’m not unconvinced that he doesn’t have a coin that reads “it was aliens” on one side and “psychic child” on the other that he busts out when he gets writer’s block on crafting an ending.

It has to be a genetic thing since his son is the same exact way.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fart City posted:

But the story doesn’t work without a five page interlude about how the town mailman suffers from terrible farts???

Hahaha; what’s his deal with those tangents anyway? I remember reading Cujo (IIRC) as a kid and it went on this tangent about one guy’s habits, down to describing how stiff his bedsheets were due to all the dried semen on them due to his constant masturbating. Back then I was like ‘Yo what the Hell is this all about?!’

E: to contribute, I found Four Lions and Dave Made A Maze are currently on Hulu

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hahaha; what’s his deal with those tangents anyway? I remember reading Cujo (IIRC) as a kid and it went on this tangent about one guy’s habits, down to describing how stiff his bedsheets were due to all the dried semen on them due to his constant masturbating. Back then I was like ‘Yo what the Hell is this all about?!’

King is a pervert. I find it endearing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

I remember that passage because he spelled cum "come."

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dave Made a Maze is pretty dang good.

Is Vampire's Kiss streaming anywhere? Haven't watched that since the early 90s and after Mandy I'm feeling the urge to revisit it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He has the mc talk about that in Roadwork too. Something about all the bedsheets at the hotel being able to be stacked upright after a Shriner’s convention.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

A good author will write tangeants that echo themes, symbolism and ideas to the major work. It is one of the unique features of literature.

King writes them because he loves to write and so it gives him more fun things to write about. Sometimes they do serve a purpose--like the dead soldier story in Pet Semetary or the chapter in The Stand where a bunch of survivors die or the Misery Chastain chapters in Misery--but many times his editors need to cut them.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Is Vampire's Kiss streaming anywhere? Haven't watched that since the early 90s and after Mandy I'm feeling the urge to revisit it.

My favorite Cage film ever!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm watching The Wire for the first time ever on Prime. If you haven't seen it, watch it!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

His too based on this interview! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WDLsLnOSM

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but it looks like The Endless just dropped on Netflix. I watched it on VOD last month & really enjoyed it.

It's even better if you've seen Resolution before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Aside from one scene towards the end, it really is Cage’s best freakout movie. What’s even better is that the best scene in the movie still hasn’t been turned into a meme and run into the ground like the “I’m a vampire, I’m a vampire!” scene or his insane faces. It was a nice little surprise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fart City posted:

Did it land on its edge for Dreamcatcher?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

10 Beers posted:

I'm watching The Wire for the first time ever on Prime. If you haven't seen it, watch it!

You lucky bastard. If season 2 seems a slog just power through it. It's a much better season on rewatches but most first-timers struggle with it. Season 3 is worth the effort to get through 2 and season 4 is quite simply the best season of tv ever made.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Did it land on its edge for Dreamcatcher?

Under The Dome, too.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pretty much. Just totally blew the ending, perfect Stephen King.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but it looks like The Endless just dropped on Netflix. I watched it on VOD last month & really enjoyed it.

gently caress yeah. Basically the best Cthulhu mythos movie since From Beyond. Though one thing that pissed me off was how unconcerned the main characters were with the fact that they were about to endure a fate worse than death if they didn't escape. Like, do you really need to sit down and work out your family issues when you've seen how hosed up things are?. Also IMO The Endless is Yog Sothoth. It can't be anything else.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 20, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

You lucky bastard. If season 2 seems a slog just power through it. It's a much better season on rewatches but most first-timers struggle with it. Season 3 is worth the effort to get through 2 and season 4 is quite simply the best season of tv ever made.

Really?! I thought season 2 was great the first time I watched it. Didn't know that was a thing.

In other new The Endless is on Netflix now and it's a solid watch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay I hated the crap out of most of season 1 of The Good Place but season 2 has won me over.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's even better if you've seen Resolution before.

I’ve been waiting on this since it is from the guys that did Spring. Still I didn’t know about Resolution. It is streaming on Shutter, so I will watch it first.

Hell House LLC 2 just went up on Shudder. I thought the first was pretty good in comparison to other independent found footage movies. It is also up on Shudder.

Speaking of Nic Cage everyone should watch the trailer of his new movie Mandy. It is by the guy who did Beyond the Black Rainbow, and it looks amazingly insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk[/url]

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Speaking of Nic Cage everyone should watch the trailer of his new movie Mandy. It is by the guy who did Beyond the Black Rainbow, and it looks amazingly insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk[/url]

Yeah, it's the best movie of the year so far, and streaming now on Amazon VOD for like $5 if you aren't cool enough to live near a theater showing it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hold the Dark looks like it's gonna be some good gritty stuff. It comes out on Netflix on the 28th and it's directed by Jeremy Saulnier, who made Blue Ruin and Green Room. Macon Blair, who worked with Saulnier on blue and green and also directed I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, adapted the screenplay from the book

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m so glad I watched Resolution before Endless. They worked perfect back to back.

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, it's the best movie of the year so far, and streaming now on Amazon VOD for like $5 if you aren't cool enough to live near a theater showing it.

I’m going to have to watch it this weekend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Hold the Dark looks like it's gonna be some good gritty stuff. It comes out on Netflix on the 28th and it's directed by Jeremy Saulnier, who made Blue Ruin and Green Room. Macon Blair, who worked with Saulnier on blue and green and also directed I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, adapted the screenplay from the book

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I’m so glad I watched Resolution before Endless. They worked perfect back to back.

I’m going to have to watch it this weekend.

I watched it at the Alamo last weekend, pre-ordered the bluray on the drive home, and will probably rent it again this weekend. I just want to bathe my eyeballs in that again.