Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
An Englishman living in southeast Asia is presumptively a pedo. It's the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Dear Law Thread,

I apologize if I have hurt you at any point this year and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

L’Shalom

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

Sounds fishy, but what do I know. I know for a fact you're a good attorney, but are you sure that his exhaustive search for his replacement led him to conclude you're the right man for the job? How well do you guys know each other? There's no one else at his firm he would rather offer to? Didn't even ask you out for drinks or anything, just walked into Court, plopped the offer on the table and left?

We've been opposing counsel before (when I was on Plaintiff's side) and I've run into him in Court a bunch. We were in a small east Texas county for pre-trial hearings. Conversation was struck up, he asked me what I was doing these days and mentioned that he need to hire someone but his search wasn't going well. Told me that if I was interested to let him know. I said "lets grab lunch" sometime this week and he said "how about breakfast?"

We had breakfast, talked about his plans, and then made love under the sycamore tree.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

Dear Law Thread,

I apologize if I have hurt you at any point this year and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

L’Shalom

You have nothing to forgive, we all love you very much and wish you the best on your road to recovery.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

We've been opposing counsel before (when I was on Plaintiff's side) and I've run into him in Court a bunch. We were in a small east Texas county for pre-trial hearings. Conversation was struck up, he asked me what I was doing these days and mentioned that he need to hire someone but his search wasn't going well. Told me that if I was interested to let him know. I said "lets grab lunch" sometime this week and he said "how about breakfast?"

We had breakfast, talked about his plans, and then made love under the sycamore tree.

Ok, less weird.

I'm a bird in the hand kinda guy, but if it's a solid opportunity, and it means a better life for you, then I wouldn't worry about the quick turnover on your resume.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I wouldn’t worry too much about a six month hop. Depends a little how senior you are, but if you can stomach the new place for a few years it will never matter again. Just know that you’ll probably be burning some bridges at your current place.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Adar posted:

Is there a lot of caselaw on what qualifies someone as a public figure?

I would have assumed he isn’t and also have been smug for the completely opposite reason, but I really have no idea.

I do a decent amount of defamation defense so my idiotic assumptions are particularly inexcusable...or would be if this were legal practice instead of just vomiting words onto the forums.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

Dear Law Thread,

L’Shalom

We will only forgive you if you either:
1. Recruit new blood for the blood god. We need some stories!
2. Go to law school a second time, maybe cooley, and get divorced like 2 times that time, and post it all here.

Your choice.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

2. Go to law school a second time, maybe cooley, and get divorced like 2 times that time, and post it all here.

Cooley LLMs are valued in the job market, I hear.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You know I don't think the legal questions megathread is really the appropriate place for my comparative law theorycrafting. Fun though.

Anyway, home sick today with a fever, puke, very sore throat, so obviously I'm working remotely catching up on some paperwork. Probably caught something at a dance convention this weekend, it was a hell of a lot of fun but man when you hold hands with a 100 different people a day, you are in the danger zone.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nice piece of fish posted:

You know I don't think the legal questions megathread is really the appropriate place for my comparative law theorycrafting. Fun though.

Anyway, home sick today with a fever, puke, very sore throat, so obviously I'm working remotely catching up on some paperwork. Probably caught something at a dance convention this weekend, it was a hell of a lot of fun but man when you hold hands with a 100 different people a day, you are in the danger zone.

Given that this is Scandanavia, I'm assuming it was some horrible amalgamation of disco and house music.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Given that this is Scandanavia, I'm assuming it was some horrible amalgamation of disco and house music.

Nah, pop music. Here's a couple of the teachers from earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlBgNcRL9DA

And here's a couple of the best in the world to some blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzW0qCrj7xY

I basically dance like that. no I loving don't what are you loving kidding me?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Jason van Dyke got arrested for filing a false police report. He allegedly took a brick and smashed his truck on top of legitimately being out a camera. :lol:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Lote posted:

Jason van Dyke got arrested for filing a false police report. He allegedly took a brick and smashed his truck on top of legitimately being out a camera. :lol:
Chicago note - this does does not appear to be the Laquon Macdonald shooter Jason Van Dyke.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Guams on the beat.

https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2018/09/17/marshals-attempt-serve-legal-documents-lt-gov-ray-tenorio/912235002/

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

gvibes posted:

Chicago note - this does does not appear to be the Laquon Macdonald shooter Jason Van Dyke.

Nah this is crazy Texas lawyer and noted gun and knife enthusiast.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

guam would probably be real easy to coup

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The pair initially communicated over the site (SugarDaddyMeet.com), with Wilson using the pseudonym Sanjuro and suggesting he was a "big deal," before revealing his true identity.

Betcha can't 3d print your way out of this one!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

I wonder what you're expecting when using a reputable website like SugarDaddyMeet.com
That goes for both of them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope he sues that website for not doing age verification

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Looks like he joined the NRA National RunawaytoThailand Association

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Looks like he joined the NRA National RunawaytoThailand Association

Musk should cite this in his defense of every white man in Thailand being a pedo

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

I wonder what you're expecting when using a reputable website like SugarDaddyMeet.com
That goes for both of them

Realistically, this situation is probs exactly what all of their non-bot connections are.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Musk should cite this in his defense of every white man in Thailand being a pedo

MAYVB OL MUSKY KNOWS A THING OR 2

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Should call himself the musk ox

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

guam would probably be real easy to coup

well the lt gov is an ex cop so his excuse is just that he was trying to help.

of course the last cop there to get shot... was shot by another cop who was drinking so this might not actually fly.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 20, 2018

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Of the many things that vex me, this evening's complaint is when attorneys decide that the proper venue to argue the merits of their position is into my email. (Bonus points when it's outside of working hours.)

I can think of exactly one instance when I have sent out an email to the attorneys on a case saying "Judge wants to know your positions on this before the hearing this afternoon, please advise." This was not that. This was straight up whining that the other guy's motion got granted and it's not fair.

Seriously? In what court do you practice where your remedy is complaining by email to the research attorney? File a motion for reconsideration, because I stopped reading your five-paragraph sob story two sentences in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am struggling to conceive of the level of intellectual bankruptcy going on on the right at this point. What happened to all the competent legal monsters?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I am struggling to conceive of the level of intellectual bankruptcy going on on the right at this point. What happened to all the competent legal monsters?

All of the smart ones are smart enough not to go down with this ship

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this in reference to something specific, or?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, the Kavanaugh nomination is currently going down in the flames of "well actually" from all sorts of very fine Republican minds. Then you have all the President's lawyers showing their monsterly lawyerly acumen with every media interview. Etc. etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Munin posted:

Well, the Kavanaugh nomination is currently going down in the flames of "well actually" from all sorts of very fine Republican minds. Then you have all the President's lawyers showing their monsterly lawyerly acumen with every media interview. Etc. etc.

Oh yes. Yes, I see what you mean.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

Kavanaugh is probably going to get on the supreme court anyhow and if he doesn't he has a lifetime appointment to fall back one. Competency doesn't matter anymore.
There's part of me that wishes I'd gone whole hog on the trump train, I'd probably get a district court appointment out of it. Once I get it, full liberal activist judge mode.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't give a poo poo about someones moral character if I thought they'd be a good judge. But I also think kavanaugh is a dime a dozen judge with no original thoughts so let him fail the vote and confirm Kozinski or Kaczinskyi.

It's extra fun because lawyers and judges should be extra familiar with issues of witness reliability and statutes of limitation but until Trump is out of office all women must be believed. Which I'm fine with because I think he isn't going to be a good judge

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'd say Trump being in office doesn't have anything to do with the veracity of Dr. Ford's statement, and her treatment since this incident came to light has just gone to provide the clearest example of why sexual assaults oftentimes go unreported. The false victim crying rape is as rare as actual welfare abuse - IE it's a statistical outlier that can usually be disregarded.

In other news, I got all of the court documents for my pro-bono eviction case. The return service of process for the summons just says "posted on door after 2nd attempt" in the blank where it's supposed to say to whom he gave the papers. Even though he doesn't live there anymore, I've got a solid argument based on this and other deficiencies to throw out the eviction order or at least set it aside because it wasn't properly executed under FL statute so we can pursue the landlord for damages.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Whelan’s evil twin theory specifically, which was, incredibly, agreed upon internally as the counterpunch narrative that Kavanaugh and his people would push coordinated across multiple media.

There were so many ways to navigate this that didn’t involve trivially disprovable libel...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 21, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Discendo Vox posted:

Whelan’s evil twin theory specifically, which was, incredibly, agreed upon internally as the counterpunch narrative that Kavanaugh and his people would push coordinated across multiple media.

There were so many ways to navigate this that didn’t involve trivially disprovable libel...

They also lose nothing by waiting and getting Dr. Ford on the record, determining it's at best inconclusive, and confirming him anyway. The way they're doing it now just guarantees it will be the only thing anyone talks about his whole career.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Clarence Thomas has got to be thrilled. Gross sex jokes have nothing on attempted rape.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd say Trump being in office doesn't have anything to do with the veracity of Dr. Ford's statement, and her treatment since this incident came to light has just gone to provide the clearest example of why sexual assaults oftentimes go unreported. The false victim crying rape is as rare as actual welfare abuse - IE it's a statistical outlier that can usually be disregarded.

In other news, I got all of the court documents for my pro-bono eviction case. The return service of process for the summons just says "posted on door after 2nd attempt" in the blank where it's supposed to say to whom he gave the papers. Even though he doesn't live there anymore, I've got a solid argument based on this and other deficiencies to throw out the eviction order or at least set it aside because it wasn't properly executed under FL statute so we can pursue the landlord for damages.

#metoo wouldn't exist without Trump and will end the minute someone so obviously grotesque is out of office. Get a decorum guy like pence (who actually has more reprehensible beliefs ) and it's back to normal where politicians all cover for each others affairs and indiscretions

Double check that eviction issue, service by posting is absolutely allowed in Illinois and I presume it's common elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

mastershakeman posted:

#metoo wouldn't exist without Trump and will end the minute someone so obviously grotesque is out of office. Get a decorum guy like pence (who actually has more reprehensible beliefs ) and it's back to normal where politicians all cover for each others affairs and indiscretions

No, we just need to put a Clinton back in office, so we can laugh, and laugh, and laugh at the hilarity of #metoo in that context.

The fun part about #metoo is how awkward people get when it is applied to their own candidates. #KeithEllison #believethewoman

The good part about #metoo is that it has confirmed for me that everyone is scum.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 21, 2018