Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I always found it odd how whatever mentat school/s there are don't seem to be relevant political entities compared to the various other transhuman training facilities.

They sort of are, at least in the short term. They're the elite intellectual class that perpetuates the status quo by advising and guiding the ruling class: They provide a base-level of competency to each House, and thus (by continuous competition) damp out wild swings in House power.

Mentats are somewhat rare - presumably the schools don't produce many, to keep prices high. It's a successful tactic (mentats are expensive, prominent, and respected), but a poor long term strategy. Because they will all serve separate masters, mentats aren't taught to cooperate. Because they all have the same goal of increasing the power of their patron House, the vast majority of their collective intellect and analytical potential is cancelled out, one scheme / counter-scheme at a time. They can't plan more than a generation or two ahead, because they aren't the ultimate decision makers. They end up being (subtle, ingenious) crabs in a bucket. And so ultimately, not that important.

Re: BG and the Guild being the only truly important institutions, I guess Mohaim is thinking in terms of deep time and the future of humanity. She knows BG is on a mission to produce a god. The Guild could be as well, given their prescience and mastery of fundamental mathematics/physics. Mentats simply elevate the machinations of the various Houses - they aren't doing anything truly constructive with their skill. Same with Ix, the Sardaukar, etc. They're domain experts, but they're deploying those skills for the limited goal of economic gain, taking the system as it exists for granted and competing for its spoils. BG are using the system for their own ends, reshaping it as they see fit.

As it turns out (at least in the first novel), the Guild wasn't living up to its potential. Their limited prescience and focus on their monopoly led them to always choose the safest route, and they stagnated as an organization a long time ago. But they're so secretive that even BG doesn't know it.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

basic hitler posted:

the bg/hm fight is a commentary on first and second wave feminism, and furthermore :words:

:aaaaa:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prolonged Priapism posted:

They sort of are, at least in the short term. They're the elite intellectual class that perpetuates the status quo by advising and guiding the ruling class: They provide a base-level of competency to each House, and thus (by continuous competition) damp out wild swings in House power.

Mentats are somewhat rare - presumably the schools don't produce many, to keep prices high. It's a successful tactic (mentats are expensive, prominent, and respected), but a poor long term strategy. Because they will all serve separate masters, mentats aren't taught to cooperate. Because they all have the same goal of increasing the power of their patron House, the vast majority of their collective intellect and analytical potential is cancelled out, one scheme / counter-scheme at a time. They can't plan more than a generation or two ahead, because they aren't the ultimate decision makers. They end up being (subtle, ingenious) crabs in a bucket. And so ultimately, not that important.

Re: BG and the Guild being the only truly important institutions, I guess Mohaim is thinking in terms of deep time and the future of humanity. She knows BG is on a mission to produce a god. The Guild could be as well, given their prescience and mastery of fundamental mathematics/physics. Mentats simply elevate the machinations of the various Houses - they aren't doing anything truly constructive with their skill. Same with Ix, the Sardaukar, etc. They're domain experts, but they're deploying those skills for the limited goal of economic gain, taking the system as it exists for granted and competing for its spoils. BG are using the system for their own ends, reshaping it as they see fit.

As it turns out (at least in the first novel), the Guild wasn't living up to its potential. Their limited prescience and focus on their monopoly led them to always choose the safest route, and they stagnated as an organization a long time ago. But they're so secretive that even BG doesn't know it.

Coming from someone who's read all the books this is still a :yeah: post

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
comin' out of my sietch and I've been wieldin' crysknife

gotta gotta jihad because I worship paul

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

itsameta4 posted:

comin' out of my sietch and I've been wieldin' crysknife

gotta gotta jihad because I worship paul

paul: It started out with a sietch
How did it end up like this
It was only a sietch, it was only a sietch

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
also it was two months and ten pages ago, but someone said Billy Bob Thornton for Kynes and hooooolyyyy

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I'd love for the movie to still do the whispering voiceover for everyone's internal monologue like from the Lynch movie, only for Billy Bob Thornton he just speaks at normal-to-loud volume.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I'd love for the movie to still do the whispering voiceover for everyone's internal monologue like from the Lynch movie, only for Billy Bob Thornton he just speaks at normal-to-loud volume.

With plenty of "Goddamnits" because I love the way he says that word.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
"I hate to admit it but goddammit, I like this loving Duke"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
"Some folks calls it Arrakis, I call it Dune. Mm-hm."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Mentats, as a whole, are ultimately neutral. The way they're portrayed is that somebody who even has the potential to become one is pretty rare. That's why it's an absurdly huge deal when it turns out that Paul can be a Mentat. Leto basically goes "think about it, my dude! A DUKE that's also a MENTAT! HOLY gently caress BALLS!!!!" It's never stated that it hasn't happened but if it had then it's not something that happens often. The training to be a Mentat is very long and needs to be started very young without the trainee even knowing. Then they have to decide for themselves that they want to do it while they're still teenagers. If you pick "no" then you never can go back.

It's implied that it's ultimately training to make the brain develop in a very specific way that lets your brain hardware behave in ways that human brains normally don't. The details aren't ever specified but a lot of things have to come together just right for a person to even have the potential to be a Mentat in the first place. There also isn't really a central school that all the Mentats come from; any Mentat that finds a kid with the potential can train another Mentat. Thufir had been teaching Paul up to the events of the first book. While the Guild and the Bene Gesserit are orders with ranks and expectations placed on their members the Mentats are far less organized; each Mentat can basically choose his own path in life and do what they want. They don't as an organization have any overall goals like the other organizations in the universe do. They don't deliberately keep their numbers small they're just really, really rare. It's suggested that each House usually hires at least one Mentat because, gently caress, why wouldn't you? The suggestion is that one is ultimately enough and affording two might be cost-prohibitive.

It's suggested that the capabilities are at least partially physical in that the Tleilaxu can grow them.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The details aren't ever specified

lol of course there's one of these

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Anne Frank Funk posted:

lol of course there's one of these

*distant wailing*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

@duneauthor strikes again

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It''s suggested that each House usually hires at least one Mentat because, gently caress, why wouldn't you? The suggestion is that one is ultimately enough and affording two might be cost-prohibitive.

I like the idea that if you have two they'll spend all their mental effort scheming against each other or having obscure arguments instead of being the human QuickBooks that you hired them as.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Mentats, as a whole, are ultimately neutral. The way they're portrayed is that somebody who even has the potential to become one is pretty rare. That's why it's an absurdly huge deal when it turns out that Paul can be a Mentat. Leto basically goes "think about it, my dude! A DUKE that's also a MENTAT! HOLY gently caress BALLS!!!!" It's never stated that it hasn't happened but if it had then it's not something that happens often. The training to be a Mentat is very long and needs to be started very young without the trainee even knowing. Then they have to decide for themselves that they want to do it while they're still teenagers. If you pick "no" then you never can go back.

It's implied that it's ultimately training to make the brain develop in a very specific way that lets your brain hardware behave in ways that human brains normally don't. The details aren't ever specified but a lot of things have to come together just right for a person to even have the potential to be a Mentat in the first place. There also isn't really a central school that all the Mentats come from; any Mentat that finds a kid with the potential can train another Mentat. Thufir had been teaching Paul up to the events of the first book. While the Guild and the Bene Gesserit are orders with ranks and expectations placed on their members the Mentats are far less organized; each Mentat can basically choose his own path in life and do what they want. They don't as an organization have any overall goals like the other organizations in the universe do. They don't deliberately keep their numbers small they're just really, really rare. It's suggested that each House usually hires at least one Mentat because, gently caress, why wouldn't you? The suggestion is that one is ultimately enough and affording two might be cost-prohibitive.

It's suggested that the capabilities are at least partially physical in that the Tleilaxu can grow them.

In one of the sequels by frank they mention a bg reverend mother who trained herself into mentat skills or something b/c she had nothing better to do

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm a big Dune fan and somehow I only just found out about this thread.

Nth-ing the viewpoint that the end of the third book is a good stopping point... that said I haven't read the fourth one, I just stopped after 3 and feel really satisfied with how things wrapped up there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

In one of the sequels by frank they mention a bg reverend mother who trained herself into mentat skills or something b/c she had nothing better to do

I read this as "big reverend mother" for whatever reason and imagined a gigantic Leto II-sized nun in the desert and the Duneverse is such a strange world that for just a moment I tried to remember when that actually happened

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

WhatEvil posted:

Nth-ing the viewpoint that the end of the third book is a good stopping point... that said I haven't read the fourth one, I just stopped after 3 and feel really satisfied with how things wrapped up there.

I don't get this attitude, drown yourself in the sands.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

[me, a mentat, already visibly drunk]

ima...ima just have some o' that there sappho juice real quick, think ya up a storm ya see...you'll see

:shehuck:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BONGHITZ posted:

I don't get this attitude, drown yourself in the sands.

Well I heard from multiple places "Don't bother past 3" and honestly the end of 3 felt like a good ending. I've continued watching TV shows and stuff before when people have said "stop at season [x] 'cause it's poo poo after that" and always regretted it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

WhatEvil posted:

Well I heard from multiple places "Don't bother past 3" and honestly the end of 3 felt like a good ending. I've continued watching TV shows and stuff before when people have said "stop at season [x] 'cause it's poo poo after that" and always regretted it.

Wait, didn't the third book have a cliffhanger ending?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

You either stop on 2, because that's Paul's story told, stop on 4, because that's Leto II's story told, or stop on 6 because that's Frank Herbert's story told. Stopping on 3 is barbarism.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

god-emperor is the best one though

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WhatEvil posted:

At least with those, you now know your own opinion and aren't just parroting the internet's conventional wisdom. And with Dune, opinions are split enough that you stand a good chance of liking it further on.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
3 is a good stopping place if you've had your fill by then. If one day you decide you'd like to see whatever went on in that Dune place afterwards, you can always pick up 4 then. It's a good book, but it was written much later and in some ways that shows. Just don't go in to it thinking it's anything but science fiction. The people who end up going "yuck" are usually trying to pin down Mr. Herbert's political leanings (which as we discussed earlier in the thread, is hard to do).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also, gently caress @duneauthor. He probably thinks of mentats as jedi cyborgs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'd say God Emperor is truly worth reading, 100%. It's a unique little book, and I think the story is quite good.

I would say the merit of Heretics and Chapterhouse is entirely suspect but I would urge anyone on the fence about reading past Children Of Dune, to go ahead and start God Emperor.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, GEOD is good but it starts a new storyline is what I'd say. Everything wrapped up in 3 more or less while leaving the soil fertile if he wanted to revisit the place, which he ended up doing. Labor of love, maybe. The next two didn't feel quite that way. Still, my favorite thing about them is how weird they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mycroft Holmes is the original Mentat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I would never recommend stopping at 3.

2 is a better stopping point in every way, and if you're going to suffer through the mediocrity that is Children of Dune you might as well treat yourself with God Emperor which is actually an interesting fantasy novel.

Arrhythmia posted:

You either stop on 2, because that's Paul's story told, stop on 4, because that's Leto II's story told, or stop on 6 because that's Frank Herbert's story told. Stopping on 3 is barbarism.

This forever. imho the trilogy framework was completely shoehorned onto the Dune story and is not a valid structure for those books.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Prav posted:

i kept waiting for some double or triple trickery there but apparently the tleilaxu are just disappointingly easy to dupe

Computer nerds are still gullible in the future

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The prescient trap in Messiah is one of the most interesting ways of dealing with the idea of foresight I've heard of. All in all I think it's my favorite in the series.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I like it when Leto II is bored so he just stares at the ground from the top of his tower and keeps visualizing the possible futures where he jumps off to his death, and seeing the infinite future of humanity wink out and in, since any timeline where he doesn’t die in or above a body of water means humanity is doomed to be snuffed out in a few millennia because Lord Cybertrex 9000, disguised as an old man peeping on Duncan and Murbella loving, is going to come back with his robot armies and make Paul fight his evil clone Pauul

Oh also, how they mention his main audience chamber in his palace has transparent floor tiles, and under it running water and master-carved gemstone fish. He says it’s to keep him on his toes because his worm body detects the water and is squirming in terror, but also ensures that if someone assassinated him there, all would not be lost.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Stopping at 3 seems crazy, it leads directly into 4 and 4 is a lot of fun and pretty unique, it's certainly much better than 3.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

Stopping at 3 seems crazy, it leads directly into 4 and 4 is a lot of fun and pretty unique, it's certainly much better than 3.

4 of the 6 books are better than 3.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's already been said, but I'll chip in as well. 3 is an odd stopping point.

It's really not a series of six books so much as it is three novels with sequels.

1 & 2 Paul's story
3 & 4 Leto's Story
5 & 6 Insane ramblings of an old man

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
3 isn't super weird as a stopping point, if you view it as the culmination of Paul's arc (the destruction of his own legend) and the final throes of the world that Paul upturned in the first book.

Admittedly, I tend to stop at the third book when I do a reread, if only because I don't have the second three books with the sweet Bruce Pennington covers.

Also, I'd argue that the books are really about Duncan Idaho as an Everyman escaping from the yoke of his loyalty to the Atriedes. Something something Foucault something Camus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Four is hands down the best one aside from 1. If you're stopping anywhere you should stop by Brian Herbert's house and murder his stupid body