Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

As a math major, I feel compelled to point this out: You can draw a stretched-out letter Q through nearly any set of six points. it won't always be facing the right way but we know that wouldn't stop QAnon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alien Arcana posted:

it won't always be facing the right way but we know that wouldn't stop QAnon

Because you'd be through the looking glass, like Alice and Wonderland.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alien Arcana posted:

As a math major, I feel compelled to point this out: You can draw a stretched-out letter Q through nearly any set of six points. it won't always be facing the right way but we know that wouldn't stop QAnon

looks like your just found your thesis.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1042576352262512640

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm the guy who doesn't believe in aliens because it contradicts flat earth theory.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mantis42 posted:

I'm the guy who doesn't believe in aliens because it contradicts flat earth theory.

At least his conspiracy theories are consistent with each other.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why does it contradict flat earth. There's still celestial bodies up there right.

Or have I just not thought through the implications flat earth, like is the moon only an inch across or something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Why does it contradict flat earth. There's still celestial bodies up there right.

Or have I just not thought through the implications flat earth, like is the moon only an inch across or something

Dude, the "sky" is a hologram projector on a dome because the Sun is only 32 miles wide and 3000 miles away from the center of the flat earth, within the dome, and most things in the "sky" are just part of those projections. Only things like some of the planets, the sun and the moon are real objects that are much smaller than what lying atheist scientists tell you. Also god made the simulation and/or the real aliens did and/or it was made by the previous generation of creation because central american mythology about cylical creation is real - take your pick.

All of these are common beliefs among the "mainstream" of flat earthers, though most of them strongly imply that it's the Christian god involved with creating this stage set sort of thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember seeing a serious Flat Earth post that claimed that its just earth that's flat, everything else is round. Why? Because God created Earth unique in all the universe.

The thing about Flat Earth is it was never a main stream belief, anyone with any education in the past knew it was round, it was proved a number of times by people in the past. Most flat earth stuff can be traced back to Victorians trying to pretend everyone was dumb before them, though also Washington Irving has been credited with creating the idea of people believing the earth is flat when he was writing about the History of America.

Anyways, the Flat Earth has always been a fringe belief, and probably has more believers now than any other time. Hell, until recently The Flat Earth Society was run out of the shack of a dirt poor couple living in the middle of nowhere.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 20, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I remember seeing a serious Flat Earth post that claimed that its just earth that's flat, everything else is round. Why? Because God created Earth unique in all the universe.

The thing about Flat Earth is it was never a main stream belief, anyone with any education in the past knew it was round, it was proved a number of times by people in the past. Most flat earth stuff can be traced back to Victorians trying to pretend everyone was dumb before them, though also Washington Irving has been credited with creating the idea of people believing the earth is flat when he was writing about the History of America.

Anyways, the Flat Earth has always been a fringe belief, and probably has more believers now than any other time. Hell, until recently The Flat Earth Society was run out of the shack of a dirt poor couple living in the middle of nowhere.

Flat earth is interesting because it's honestly the opposite of most conspiracies.

Like the standard conspiracy is hidden knowledge. Everything is based on a bunch of complex secrets you need to learn.

Flat earth is a rejection, where if you walk outside and look the earth is clearly flat with a sky dome over it. You need to know things to know that isn't true. It's a nearly unique conspiracy in that at it's core it's "actually everything is way simpler than you thought" although in practice all the side explanations of stuff end up making it a messy theory. The core though is weirdly unique, "my senses got it right the first time" instead of "there is tons of extra special knowledge you need". It's cutting the complexity of the world in a theory instead of adding extra elements.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Eh it's still very much about denying the official story and all the details to explain the "truth" end up more convoluted than the truth.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And "my senses got it right the first time" applies pretty well to "its the Jews fault I got fired for incompetence, not mine!"

fishmech posted:

Dude, the "sky" is a hologram projector on a dome because the Sun is only 32 miles wide and 3000 miles away from the center of the flat earth, within the dome, and most things in the "sky" are just part of those projections. Only things like some of the planets, the sun and the moon are real objects that are much smaller than what lying atheist scientists tell you. Also god made the simulation and/or the real aliens did and/or it was made by the previous generation of creation because central american mythology about cylical creation is real - take your pick.

All of these are common beliefs among the "mainstream" of flat earthers, though most of them strongly imply that it's the Christian god involved with creating this stage set sort of thing.

The most shocking part of all of this is that it's the native American idea of cyclical creation they use, and not the Norse one.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

There is no curvature to the Earth... :psyboom:

Why the gently caress do you think a ship dissappears over the horizon you incredibly dumb loving luddite?

Why do you think a plane flies at an angle around the world instead of straight across like on a flat map?

Jesus christ these people are so goddamn dumb it is actually impressive. I await their discussion of how the Hollow Earth is totally real, and they can't wait to find daddy Hitler in the giant Kinderegg.

The real embrace of flat earth stuff broke me. Sweet loving christ, how stupid can you be?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fulchrum posted:

And "my senses got it right the first time" applies pretty well to "its the Jews fault I got fired for incompetence, not mine!"

The most shocking part of all of this is that it's the native American idea of cyclical creation they use, and not the Norse one.

Oh the explanation for that is simple - it's tying in the "Mayans predicted 2012 apocalypse with their calendar!!!" stuff. And of course the excuse for why the 2012 thing didn't really end the world? Spiritual renewal! Revealing the truth of the flat earth! Et cetera. And if you squint a bit you can take the story of how the Maya previous creations went as being a depiction of the gods creating the sun and moon inside the dome of the world to reward humanity.

The Norse myths don't dovetail as nicely into it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

Flat earth baffled me until this post and now I think I understand it completely.

This all sounds wacky at first glance because why would you believe the moon and sun are tiny and the stars and planets are projections, when none of that is necessary for earth to be flat. But the core belief is that everything we're taught is a lie and all the evidence is fake, so it follows from there that the real world is whatever needs to be true for all scientific evidence to be fake. NASA didn't go to Neptune, take a picture, and say "ok we took a picture of Neptune, so trust this picture of round earth", they made Neptune up completely. They didn't fake the moon landing because it was too hard to reach it, they faked it because it's too easy and anyone with a homebuilt rocket could go up there and see the moon is an itty bitty disk not very far away at all (so they have to convince us not to even bother trying), etc.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress do you think a ship dissappears over the horizon you incredibly dumb loving luddite?

Why do you think a plane flies at an angle around the world instead of straight across like on a flat map?

Jesus christ these people are so goddamn dumb it is actually impressive. I await their discussion of how the Hollow Earth is totally real, and they can't wait to find daddy Hitler in the giant Kinderegg.

The real embrace of flat earth stuff broke me. Sweet loving christ, how stupid can you be?

Wow, there is a whole other world of idiocy for you to explore out there. I recommend you start with the youtube proofs that the earth is flat and then check out the flat earth view of Antarctica. Which is that no one has actually been there except the secret government and that it isn't a pole but actually a ring of ice around the edge of the world.

If you want to see cognitive dissonance in it's purest essence, ask a flat earther why you can see the Southern Cross constellation in both Australia and Brazil at the same time when on their map you would both be looking in completely different directions.

I then suggest you check out the Mandela Effect. Which I suspect will be the next thing woven into Qanon. "I clearly remember Trump winning the popular vote, they must have changed the past!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

OK these ones I know because I looked up the explanations long ago:

TulliusCicero posted:

Trick of perspective, it's just getting smaller and the waves are blocking the bottom of the ship from view

TulliusCicero posted:

They don't, you don't believe the fake maps the FAA shows you on your seatback display do you?

Or:

They don't, the shapes and distances of landmasses on your globe are warped to make a straight line on our flat earth look like a great circle route on the globe

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 20, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Flat earth baffled me until this post and now I think I understand it completely.

This all sounds wacky at first glance because why would you believe the moon and sun are tiny and the stars and planets are projections, when none of that is necessary for earth to be flat. But the core belief is that everything we're taught is a lie and all the evidence is fake, so it follows from there that the real world is whatever needs to be true for all scientific evidence to be fake. NASA didn't go to Neptune, take a picture, and say "ok we took a picture of Neptune, so trust this picture of round earth", they made Neptune up completely. They didn't fake the moon landing because it was too hard to reach it, they faked it because it's too easy and anyone with a homebuilt rocket could go up there and see the moon is an itty bitty disk not very far away at all (so they have to convince us not to even bother trying), etc.

You've got it! Though they do usually believe Neptune is real, it's just like a couple of miles across (some will tell you only the planets discovered before telescopes are real though, ie Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Mercury. Telescopes are totally fake news illuminati stuff that use optical tricks to fake you out!! Except when they're not.).

Here's an interesting tidbit more of them seem to believe these days - there is an exit from this whole "stage" our world really is, probably beyond that big ol ice wall, and those who manage to get to it can leave for a greater cosmos beyond it. Some will say that's where God lives. Or that once enough of humanity bands together to do this humanity will become gods and repurpose the Earth-soundstage for a new race. And don't even get them started on what might be outside this giant thousands of miles in diameter stage, some of them even believe there's a real globe earth world outside this!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Nothing quite beats the fact that I believe a random Youtube video convinced a bunch of Flat Earthers that one specific Nikon camera can "see beyond the horizon" and prove that the Earth is flat.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
If the earth was flat none of the celestial navigation techniques I use to navigate ships would work since they're based on the principles of spherical trigonometry. But what do I know I'm just a simple sailor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Actually I just looked up some flat earth stuff and learned that the close tiny sun theory is a century old, invented to explain Erastothenes' measurement of earth's curvature (he's the guy who measured the shadow cast by a stick to calculate the circumference of the earth).

If you assume the sun is really far away such that its rays are nearly parallel and earth is a sphere you can calculate how large the earth has to be.

Or if you assume earth is flat and the shadow is caused by the sun being so close it's rays aren't parallel then you can calculate how far away the sun has to be. Turns out, really close, and therefore it looks small not because it's far away but because it's just that tiny.

So I guess it really is consistent to rule out aliens living on the close, tiny celestial bodies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Polikarpov posted:

If the earth was flat none of the celestial navigation techniques I use to navigate ships would work since they're based on the principles of spherical trigonometry. But what do I know I'm just a simple sailor.

Anyone who uses navigation techniques that require the earth to be round (airline pilots, sailors, etc.) are all in on it. Every last one of them. And despite the fact that if any of them came forward and told the truth they'd be heralded as a messiah and likely make millions writing a tell all book, none of them have done so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

Anyone who uses navigation techniques that require the earth to be round (airline pilots, sailors, etc.) are all in on it. Every last one of them. And despite the fact that if any of them came forward and told the truth they'd be heralded as a messiah and likely make millions writing a tell all book, none of them have done so.

But also the hyperadvanced hologram projection dome can adjust itself to trick you into thinking you're on a globe so the navigation techniques work because the illuminati told them to the first civilizations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Polikarpov posted:

That assumes the stars are at infinite distance from the earth right.

There would certainly exist a mathematical transformation you could do that would produce formulas that get you the same results with a flat earth and stars that are much much closer, those formulas would just be a gigantic mess and a huge bitch to actually use.

Funny, Winston brings up exactly this point in 1984 when O'Brien claims the stars are tiny specks quite close to the earth (because nothing in the Universe can be outside of the Party's control) and O'Brien just says yeah the navigational equations are insane, that's why they do a mathematical transform to a stars-are-far-away model but it's just a trick to make the math easy and doesn't represent anything about reality.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sure they have people claiming to be pilots and sailors etc.. who claim they were in on it and they grift money by writing books.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, what?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

While you're browsing flat earth material, be sure to swing by the "No Forests on Flat Earth" people, who think that our "trees" are pale imitations of the real thing, and that Devil's Tower is actually a tree stump.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Illuminti posted:

I then suggest you check out the Mandela Effect. Which I suspect will be the next thing woven into Qanon. "I clearly remember Trump winning the popular vote, they must have changed the past!"
Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't tied this in already, it fits too neatly on both the "bunch of loving morons" and "opposite of reality" axes.
Also, almost username/post combo.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Nothing quite beats the fact that I believe a random Youtube video convinced a bunch of Flat Earthers that one specific Nikon camera can "see beyond the horizon" and prove that the Earth is flat.
Now that's some impressive, yet very specific, marketing!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Naaaaah the most hilarious conspiracy theory I've heard recently has to be "THERE ARE NO TREES ANYMORE ON EARTH", 'cause get this:

MOUNTAINS ARE TREE TRUNKS

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Flat Earth stuff is wild and frustrating.

There's a whole series of episodes of Oh No Ross and Carrie - a skeptical investigation podcast - where they attend a Flat Earth convention, and then later on do some interviews with prominent flat earthers. It's fascinating but discussing it is kind of like banging your head into a wall, repeatedly.

It's kind of like the ultimate conspiracy theory, because to believe it you also basically have to believe everything else that science has ever discovered is a lie (...while you're typing on your futuristic-technology cell phone and using GPS and living 40 years longer than a century ago...)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VitalSigns posted:

That assumes the stars are at infinite distance from the earth right.

There would certainly exist a mathematical transformation you could do that would produce formulas that get you the same results with a flat earth and stars that are much much closer, those formulas would just be a gigantic mess and a huge bitch to actually use.

Funny, Winston brings up exactly this point in 1984 when O'Brien claims the stars are tiny specks quite close to the earth (because nothing in the Universe can be outside of the Party's control) and O'Brien just says yeah the navigational equations are insane, that's why they do a mathematical transform to a stars-are-far-away model but it's just a trick to make the math easy and doesn't represent anything about reality.

Ugh I could see how this would be disturbingly plausible to a person who tried to self-educate themselves about the trigonometric methods used for navigation and the physics behind gravitation and orbital mechanics. There's a ton of "the math works out easier if you shift to this point as a reference and/or use this coordinate system" in both of those and someone who doesn't understand exactly why it works in a particular situation could easily come to the conclusion that you can do that for anything

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

dwarf74 posted:

Flat Earth stuff is wild and frustrating.

It's kind of like the ultimate conspiracy theory, because to believe it you also basically have to believe everything else that science has ever discovered is a lie (...while you're typing on your futuristic-technology cell phone and using GPS and living 40 years longer than a century ago...)

I touched the poop one time on social media. This guy was hardcore flat earther but I wanted to do some direct observation and interaction in the wild. When I pressed him he constantly said how scientists don't know what they're talking about and it's all made up. He said gravity isn't real and that if the earth was spinning we would all fly off duh. I asked why he doesn't just jump in to space and snap a photo of the flat earth if gravity isn't real. His answer: "because you can't breath in space." Me: "That's what the scientists want you to think." He wouldn't respond to that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Sean posted:

I touched the poop one time on social media. This guy was hardcore flat earther but I wanted to do some direct observation and interaction in the wild. When I pressed him he constantly said how scientists don't know what they're talking about and it's all made up. He said gravity isn't real and that if the earth was spinning we would all fly off duh. I asked why he doesn't just jump in to space and snap a photo of the flat earth if gravity isn't real. His answer: "because you can't breath in space." Me: "That's what the scientists want you to think." He wouldn't respond to that.
You should have asked him to explain basketball.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Endorph posted:

You should have asked him to explain basketball.

Go with baseball these sorts of people would probably dismiss basketball and football as faked by the nefarious Jew and his black minions.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
What is the explanation for why people and organizations like NASA want to convince us the world is a sphere?
Like what do they get out of it if the world is actually flat for them to go to the effort to convince me it’s round?

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
I've been involved in assorted conspiracy communities since I was a teen, and I can tell you one thing - flat earthers basically didn't exist 10-15 years ago. There was always a very small minority of them, mostly used as the butt of jokes by other conspiracy theorists, but they never had the same prominent presence they do today. I have no idea what caused this surge. I suspect that, like Q, it was some kind of joke that got out of hand.
I don't even understand its appeal. Conspiracy theories are often not about what you can prove, but what you can't disprove. it's about clinging to bits of data and extrapolating entire alternate sets out of them. But there's no shred of data the flat earther cling to, and their entire theory can be disproven with a 15 minutes plane ride; it's just "nope, your science is wrong, bucko!" over and over again. Even religions have to make concessions and excuses when their data sets contrast with reality. Like, the idea that dinosaur bones were planted by the devil, or that they're of creatures exterminated by the Flood is at least admitting that dinosaur bones exist.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

MOUNTAINS ARE TREE TRUNKS
Tree stumps. The giants cut the real trees down.

Anyway everyone knows the Earth is round now, it's only elves who can see and sail the original flat seas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starving Wolf posted:

creatures exterminated by the Flood
Noah really hosed up the 'two of every animal' thing, huh.

Feinne posted:

Go with baseball these sorts of people would probably dismiss basketball and football as faked by the nefarious Jew and his black minions.

yeah but in baseball the ball is usually caught by somebody before it hits the ground on its own so if you just ignore every foul ball in history as the deep state then baseball can exist in that world

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I honestly always thought Flat Earth poo poo was an elaborate troll. People actually believe this nonsense?! :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TulliusCicero posted:

I honestly always thought Flat Earth poo poo was an elaborate troll. People actually believe this nonsense?! :stonklol:

I got one of the best pieces of advice in my life from a Rennie (basically a carnie but who works Renaissance Faires):

Rule 1: People are loving stupid.
Rule 2: People are loving stupid.