Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
It ain't 700# but I just got a PR 360# DL :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-key-for-progress-recognizing-and-overcoming-laziness/

Pretty good read.

quote:

Get a training partner or find a crew to train with
This is also a huge help. In my opinion, it’s not going to make as big of a difference as in-person coaching, but it’s going to make a bigger difference than online coaching.

Training with a partner or a crew accomplishes two important things:

It gives you accountability. If other people are expecting you to show up, it makes you feel more obligated to make it to every training session (half the battle is just showing up). If they’re depending on you for something (like if you have a single training partner and you know they need you to spot them because no one else at your gym can be trusted), this increases the accountability further.

They’ll push you. Good training partners know how to use the stick and the carrot. They give you kudos when you bust your rear end, and they’ll push you when you’re slacking. You’re constantly trying to catch them on lifts where they beat you, and you’re constantly trying to keep your edge on the lifts you’re better at. If there’s a gap in skill, you can still compete on the basis of how hard you work.

Training with partners or a crew of dedicated lifters makes a bigger difference in my own training than any other individual factor. I’m naturally hyper-competitive, and sometimes (often) I find myself slacking when I train alone. However, if I have at least one other person to train with, the quality of my training improves dramatically. I mercilessly talk trash constantly (in a good-natured way. But, in case, you were wondering, I’m not quite the mild-mannered nerd I may come across as online, as all of my previous training partners can attest to), so I know I have to back it up under the bar, against training partners who want to knock me down a peg. My goal is always to do one more rep or one more set than everyone else, and to generally make sure they throw in the towel before I do. I do a pretty good job of creating a competitive yet supportive environment, and we all elevate our training because of it.

You may be wired a little differently, but training with other people can still make a huge difference.

One study showed that married people who got a gym membership and started working out together were almost all still training a year later – dropout rate was only 6.3% – whereas married people who started working out without their partner had a dropout rate of 43%. Attendance was significantly higher for the people who worked out with their spouse as well.

Another study showed that working out with people who are in better shape than you makes you train harder. The researchers instructed people to cycle for 20 minutes at 60-70% of their max heart rate. Some of the people cycled alongside someone who they perceived to be in good shape, and some of them cycled alongside someone who they perceived to be in bad shape. The women cycling with someone who they perceived to be to in good shape maintained an average heart rate 14 beats per minute higher than the women cycling with someone who they perceived to be in bad shape. For men, the difference was 25 beats per minute.

It’s important not just to have people to train with, but to train with people who are good training partners. They should motivate you to work harder and keep you accountable. If they’re demotivating or if they enable laziness and bad habits, you should kick them to the curb.

Much like coaching, if you simply can’t find people to train with in-person, getting plugged into an online community of like-minded individuals can help as well. Just like choosing training partners, find an online community that motivates you and helps you out. Avoid online communities marked by rampant negativity. However, again, in-person trumps online by a broad margin.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, I don't dont skip the gym ever and pushing myself just injures me. Plus I hate people. So I'll pass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Well, I don't dont skip the gym ever and pushing myself just injures me. Plus I hate people. So I'll pass.

Well you post here so this counts as an online community. Sorry

:glomp:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I wish I had a lifting buddy. Asked 3 separate people to spot me today and they all touched the loving bar.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I wish I had a lifting buddy. Asked 3 separate people to spot me today and they all touched the loving bar.

I hate spotting people

They get angry when I don’t help them push like 50% of their ego lifts

Like, dude, if I wanted I could let you die right here, lift less with more control

A spot is for the last rep or two, not the whole loving set which you clearly can’t lift on your own

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like to spot people benching because then I can impose my sweaty mangroin upon their person

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUIfUR7qOg

Hope he doesn’t turn out to be a racist or something

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I like this guy

Well he was a Marine...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paper Diamonds posted:

It ain't 700# but I just got a PR 360# DL :toot:

Congrats! All PRs own and you're more than half way there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The guy is just getting hairier and hairier

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like this guy

I have been following him on IG for a while and he's really good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gains of the gods.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

Well he was a Marine...

A Marine who was really excited to meet Obama.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Gains of the gods.

is that cottage cheese :stare:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

MarcusSA posted:

Gains of the gods.

ive been doing stan efferdings monster mash diet for like 2 months :\ i want some cheetos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

is that cottage cheese :stare:

Yes. Yes it is.

It sounds weird as gently caress but it works? It’s not something I’d do often but it was a nice break from normal plain cottage cheese ( or just some pepper).

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
i thought it was masehdw potatoes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallows posted:

i thought it was masehdw potatoes

Hey I’d be down to try that too!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

I like this guy

He supports starting strength so....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

He supports starting strength so....

Oh noooo

I only mention that because his comments contain a lot of MAGA people, I hope he’s cool

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If Feigenbaum ever gets around to putting out Barbell Medicine's novice program he'll probably drop starting strength like a hot potato.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Trall went full Rippetoe in the first place is he started making gains again after getting coaching from Austin Baraki when BBM was still with the starting strength people.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

It sounds weird as gently caress but it works? It’s not something I’d do often but it was a nice break from normal plain cottage cheese ( or just some pepper).

cottage cheetos

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

cottage cheetos

These oreo flavors are getting weirder and weirder.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

i want some oreos and cheetos right now :\

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Guyver posted:

If Feigenbaum ever gets around to putting out Barbell Medicine's novice program he'll probably drop starting strength like a hot potato.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Trall went full Rippetoe in the first place is he started making gains again after getting coaching from Austin Baraki when BBM was still with the starting strength people.

I watched a lot of Thrall's videos when I first started lifting and they definitely helped but when he became a certified starting strength coach all his advice became regurgitated ss stuff or started with "my coach Austin.." I mean, I get it, but he became a lot less interesting.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Male privilege is multiples of 10 without change plates.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

I like this guy

So you haven't seen the video where he wears a rice hat and tapes his eyes wide so they're squinty and talks in a mock Asian accent...

You have much to rearn young glasshoppah

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That video made me laugh and then feel guilty.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
are his politics... problematic?????

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
He feels guilty because he accidentally killed his partner in a drug bust gone wrong and watching weightlifting videos only momentarily distracts him from his sadness

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
he put out a dumb hit piece on 5/3/1 a while back as well iirc. he's probably okay for new lifters to check some form stuff out and all that i imagine. and if his politics suck, he's at least considerate enough to not flaunt them

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
alan thrall took a MAGA chud turn recently iirc

meanwhile today I discovered the magic of the one-armed barbell bench press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhYgYSmW2M

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s like 4:30am and I should be sleeping but noooooo I’m in the gym.

I hate this work schedule.

Squats and OHP are good though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
everyone is taking about OHP and i feel like i'm being pressured into doing it. but i am going to stay strong and loyal to my waifu, the bench

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

MikeCrotch posted:

everyone is taking about OHP and i feel like i'm being pressured into doing it. but i am going to stay strong and loyal to my waifu, the bench

My amigo, por que no los dos?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MikeCrotch posted:

She'll never find out. Just do both and tell bench you're working late.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

As my Spanish friend said why not both? I don’t do them both on the same day but I do alternate.

Squat bench RDL
Squat OHP DL

:shrug:

The OHP is good fun and functional.

https://www.sixstarpro.com/training/6-reasons-standing-overhead-press/

All of those reasons apply. The OHP can straight kick your rear end in all the right ways.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 20, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I already bench or do bench accessories 4 times a week so

and no ohp doesn't count as a bench accessory

or does it?