Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chomp8645 posted:

Gaming is big. So big that you can spend a lot of time playing many different games and still relegate huge markets like Fifa/Fortnite/Mobile/MMOs to a giant nebulous trash pile that's out of sight, out of mind.

Gaming is so big, its this big

*i am holding my arms out really far apart*

this big... times infinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snooze Cruise posted:

You might think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts compared to gaming.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes gaming looks small enough to fit on a cat's collar but then you look closely at it and its like MIB where you zoom in and there is another universe in there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sometimes gaming looks small enough to fit on a cat's collar but then you look closely at it and its like MIB where you zoom in and there is another universe in there.

How big a cat though?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PantsBandit posted:

How big a cat though?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember gunbound

I was a member of another forum where we all played the poo poo out of it and it ruled

It is currently only available as an app in North America iirc :c

cheetah7071 posted:

It's weird thinking of all the huge gaming markets that are so disconnected from the kinds of games I play that I only know how huge they are from being told. Like sports games and the candy crush/peggle style of mobile game

There is an entire market of people buying and trading digital trading cards. Just, pictures of Star Wars characters or baseball players that you can look at on your phone. I have never even come across ads for it personally but it is a huge thing and it blows my mind.

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fortnite being so big it is causing problems in schools is one of those things I know factually but the knowledge still feels weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Fortnite being so big it is causing problems in schools is one of those things I know factually but the knowledge still feels weird.

I mean is that any different than pokemon causing problems in school in its day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My niece is in second grade and she says all anyone talks about is Fortnite. When I was that age I was still playing Atari.

When I was fourth or fifth grade was when Nintendo blew up. It’s all we ever talked about, but it was NES games in general, not just one game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

I mean is that any different than pokemon causing problems in school in its day
Or Dragon Quest where the Japanese government had to stop Enix from releasing new games on school days because all the kids would cut class.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I was at PAX I was doing the pax pokemon league and one of the gym leaders was a 12 or so year old girl and she just unprompted asked if I played fortnite while I was battling her anyways that's my fortnite story

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

Or Dragon Quest where the Japanese government had to stop Enix from releasing new games on school days because all the kids would cut class.

It’s also a quest in Yakuza 0 I wanna say

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Pokemon came out after I got into high school. The closest reference points I have are like baseball cards, Golden Eye, and M:TG but they weren't nearly as huge time-sinks back then.

Oh I did have a friend who almost dropped out of high school because of Ultima Online. Still peanuts compared to WoW or Fortnite numbers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That Dragon Quest thing is a myth though. I think Square Enix just releases them on weekends on their own to be responsible and avoid there actually being a law along those lines.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I mean I remember being in school and even talking about non-sports games was desperately uncool. Kids who would come over and play ff7 and smash bros had never even heard of video games once they set foot in class.

I imagine most schools are dealing with the 'fortnite problem' really poorly but I'm gonna admit I feel vindicated here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I was at a wedding recently and there was a lot of Fortnite taunts going around. Mostly from some 12-ish kids but some of them caught on with older attendees.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

This is a common misconception, the government didn't force them, they decided to do it on their own after reading stories about it in the papers. still means they were crazy popular tho.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

My niece is in second grade and she says all anyone talks about is Fortnite. When I was that age I was still playing Atari.

When I was fourth or fifth grade was when Nintendo blew up. It’s all we ever talked about, but it was NES games in general, not just one game.

I had a sewing class in middle school where the teacher liked me and my friend so we would just do our assignments super fast and then read stuff in game magazines. I think that's where I explained to him what Suikoden was while he was bragging about finally beating Ozma in FF9 (which I already knew because one of his friends told me about it but then swore me to secrecy because he was stoked to tell me).

I remember there was an assignment to make a patch that they'd put together with everyone else's and keep adding to over the years and mine was just a chocobo because there was a good picture of one in a magazine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know how much of it was news media hysteria but i definitely remember hearing about minecraft causing school disruptions more or less on the same scale as fortnite in its heyday

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I mean I remember being in school and even talking about non-sports games was desperately uncool. Kids who would come over and play ff7 and smash bros had never even heard of video games once they set foot in class.

I imagine most schools are dealing with the 'fortnite problem' really poorly but I'm gonna admit I feel vindicated here

:same:

Honestly this kind of owns
https://twitter.com/joshe/status/1042118842552655875

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

There's only like 1/3 of the class willing to make complete idiots of themselves at the mere mention of the word fortnite at least. Though I bet more of them play but are less ridiculous about it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

It’s also a quest in Yakuza 0 I wanna say
It is, a parody of DQ3 to be precise, which is the most popular one in Japan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Here is my story from playing video games in elementary school: Nobody would play the metal gear solid games I like. I had a friend who had a MGS2 sons of the patriots t shirt and he didn't even play the video games and I was very angry.

This has been a Snooze Cruise Boring Story.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If kids weren't obsessed with Fortnite they'd be obsessed with some other craze. Who cares? How is it a problem?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I met my still best friend in high school by bringing in my GBA and playing fire emblem on it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Time for me to finally pick up Fortnite so that I can annihilate these goobers.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Verranicus posted:

If kids weren't obsessed with Fortnite they'd be obsessed with some other craze. Who cares? How is it a problem?

I don’t think anyone is really saying it’s a problem, just marveling that it is a whole video game thing that we, a community of people interested in video games, just do not engage with on that level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The kid on the left in that video has some serious moves

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is cute :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would that ruin someone's day?

Like if that's ruining your day you just might be a grumpy sourpuss that hates things because the kids like it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They don't understand my perry mason so i don't have to understand their fortnight hmrph

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been having fun with hollow knight again since i got past the white palace and got to explore a bunch of new areas. now i'm just picking up all the random grubs and junk that i missed and doing the grimm troupe stuff along the way

i don't feel attached enough to completion to do all the random speedrun challenges and poo poo but i think i'll definitely 112% the game before i finish it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fortnite IS a huge problem, because little kids now are having more fun than I did when I was a kid.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Here is my story from playing video games in elementary school: Nobody would play the metal gear solid games I like. I had a friend who had a MGS2 sons of the patriots t shirt and he didn't even play the video games and I was very angry.

This has been a Snooze Cruise Boring Story.

There was a guy in my class who got MGS2 before me and I kept asking him questions about it because I couldn't get it until my birthday

Then I got mad at him because he started talking about a fat guy called "fatman" who skates around drinking wine/planting bombs and I was 100% sure he was messing with me. Tell me what actually happens!!!

e: there was an argument with another kid that ended with them yelling "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY 10"

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 20, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Obviously he was lying because he drinks a cocktail instead of wine

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Steve Yun posted:

Fortnite IS a huge problem, because little kids now are having more fun than I did when I was a kid.

Don't worry, the shooting controls are still as bad as F2P shooters were when we were kids

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G67-_dk8-yk&t=19s

It's wine, your friend was correct

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

f2p shooters didn't exist when i was a kid unless you count like halflife 1 mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

f2p shooters didn't exist when i was a kid unless you count like halflife 1 mods

it was called shareware

• Locked thread