Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Waffleman_ posted:

"The Arkham Knight is a completely original character that can act as Rocksteady's contribution to the Batman mythos, our Harley Quinn!"

*The Arkham Knight is the first character anyone who has read the comics would guess and turns into the Red Hood halfway in*

it was almost a good twist in how much of an anti-twist it was

like, as soon as I saw anything involving The Titular Arkham Knight my first thought was "it's Jason Todd. No, wait, that would be waaay too obvious it can't be Jason Todd, nobody's that dumb it's gotta be someone else"

BUT THEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I barely knew the story of Jason Todd and even I was like "Oh, it's Jason Todd."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Where there even any new characters in the game available to be a suspect? Like, new character in a comic story means look, there's the villain! But in Knight, I don't remember there even being a red herring available to make it even slightly questionable. poo poo, they even started doing flash back dream sequence style stuff to the Jason Todd situation.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

remusclaw posted:

Where there even any new characters in the game available to be a suspect? Like, new character in a comic story means look, there's the villain! But in Knight, I don't remember there even being a red herring available to make it even slightly questionable. poo poo, they even started doing flash back dream sequence style stuff to the Jason Todd situation.
They telegraphed Jason Todd so hard and so relentlessly that at a certain point i started to wonder if it was going to turn out to be Batgirl instead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

There weren't. I guess before the game's release, both Hush's and Azrael's plots hadn't wrapped so they could be suspects, but I think both of them appear before the reveal so their names get crossed off the checklist.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the pre-order bonus was even a story pack of Red Hood stuff

like... for god's sake

I worked at Gamestop at the time, and had to hear voice clips all day of the marketing team hyping up the brand new totally original character Arkham Knight, whose identity is a total mystery and gamers will be shocked also pre-order now this one's gonna have Jason Todd in it as Arkham Knight the Red Hood

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TwoPair posted:

There weren't. I guess before the game's release, both Hush's and Azrael's plots hadn't wrapped so they could be suspects, but I think both of them appear before the reveal so their names get crossed off the checklist.

Hush was in City and you actually play as Azrael in Knight so

They could've plotted the entire thing to be Sharp if he was a Bruce Wayne analog-physically in the first Arkham when you find out he is batshit insane but I don't think they planned anything after Asylum

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

Well duh. Ditko would've had MJ be the one fretting over when to stop caring for and trying to redeem a friend, and Peter would sneer and explain that as soon as one chooses a life of crime, they have forfeited all right to empathy.

It's kind of insane how crazy Ditko's views were.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I love Spider-Man so much, and I absolutely melted at the Stan Lee cameo because I know we are getting real close to him not doing them anymore, his little cute statement was the best.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Finished Spider-Man today. Game of the loving year. Outside of the Challenge side quests, everything was enjoyable, I also never felt any pressure to complete all the sidequest/collectables but managed to get everything outside of some crimes done naturally just by playing.

Hidden sidequest spoilers: Are the hidden photos anything special? Some seem like real life NYC landmarks that didn't get into the landmark photos for some reason, but then there was some graffiti, an Osborn sign, and unlike the landmark photos, Peter only gives generic dialogue and there's no explanation of what you're taking a picture of. I also wish I had unlocked that suit upgrade sooner, because trying to find these things while Sable and poo poo are sniping you as you swing around was really annoying.

They're patching in a new game+ right?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked the MJ quest where you tell Spidey to take guys out. That felt fun. The rest and all of Miles' segments I could've done without. I prefer Arkham's way of stealth. It's a little harder as Batman, but it felt easier to set up takedowns and vary them in fun ways. A predator room that goes perfectly just feels better to me.

Honestly my favorite minor NPC interaction is in the first like 10 minutes of the game. "You're a little weird, but you got a good heart" is a cute way to sum up Spider-Man in general.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The stealth sequences are worth it for taking selfies. Especially MJ next to a Sable agent she just tasered, I was actually dissapointed there wasn't one with the fire where she's helping evacuate people and you still have the taser.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1042775621074669568?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's cool that the PS4 finally has a good game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's cool that the PS4 finally has a good game.

Dad of War was good. Not on this level, but it was the first PS4 game I had bought in a long time.

I know they're patching in a new game+ but I couldn't wait and started a second run on the hard difficulty. This game is too good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's also Zero Dawn Horizon or whatever that random collection of words is.

remusclaw posted:

Jason Todd hadn't even been mentioned in the Arkham series before Knight, so even if you had never read a comic he'd still be your first suspect.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Horizon was great, and The Last of Us. Hey, that's the only 4 PS4 games I own!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
There are tons of great Ps4 games but to each its own.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uncharted 4 and the Yakuza games are also all very good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Spider-Man tonight and while I enjoyed it in general it does kind of overstay its welcome. I think the biggest issue I had with the story was switching the primary antagonist so late in the game. You spend so much time with Mister Negative and then he just kind of falls to the wayside.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Telltale Games has announced that they're shutting down and canceling everything pending, with the exception of a Minecraft: Story Mode TV show that they were making for Netflix. This includes the "Final Season" of The Walking Dead game which will now go unfinished.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

muscles like this! posted:

Telltale Games has announced that they're shutting down and canceling everything pending, with the exception of a Minecraft: Story Mode TV show that they were making for Netflix. This includes the "Final Season" of The Walking Dead game which will now go unfinished.

The only thing that's really surprising about this is how sudden it was. If you don't follow video game news, and some fairly inside baseball news at that, you might have missed it, but Telltale for the last year and a half or so has been a case study in systematic mismanagement on a cultural level. Despite having some well-known brands and a reasonable amount of sales success (although the last time I saw some figures, Telltale had a real problem with maintaining audiences all the way through a given episodic release), the company had serious internal problems that went unaddressed.

Of course, part of it is that Telltale made its bones off of player choice, which is one of the most time-intensive mechanics to add to a game, so even a relatively short single episode of one of their games could represent a lot more development time than you might think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Telltale's been rotting out from the inside for a lot longer than that. The main reason all the walking dead sequels were so terrible is that they scared away the writing team of the first one, and everyone who worked on the Sam and Max games also moved on to greener pastures due to management problems and bad work environment.

Although I think one of the issues that didn't help is that their "choice driven" games have so little actual gameplay in them that a vast majority of the audience would rather watch Let's Plays or twitch streams than actually play them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best part is there are people who started at Telltale LAST WEEK.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
obviously cant c/d but there's a tweet thread that's been going around that's saying very few games were actually financially successful

https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043227346692726784

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part is there are people who started at Telltale LAST WEEK.

The season pass for TWD is still up. So you can pay $20 for one episode of a game that will never get finished.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The season pass for TWD is still up. So you can pay $20 for one episode of a game that will never get finished.

In a way that makes it a very true adaptation of TWD.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/russpitts/status/1043239439126999040

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Walking Dead Season 2 was bad and turned me off from Telltale games for a long time. I had finally bought the Batman seasons only a few months ago (and since I had heard good things about it).

Never understood why they had made a Guardians of the Galaxy game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Batman season 1 was alright, and season 2 actually put a really fun and interesting spin on the Joker, which I haven't seen anyone bother to do in a while. particularly if you befriend him enough to make him a vigilante instead of a villain in the final episode, and how everything plays out after that with his violent tendencies pushing him too far and crossing those lines batman doesnt want to cross. he's so upset that he can't be more like batman. he just wanted to be friends. it's a really weird, interesting take.

i've heard the GotG thing telltale did was rushed and by the B-team and isn't very good though, which is a shame

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The actress who plays Clementine in TWD has said that as far as she knows Episode 2 of the Final Season will come out but that's it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
TellTale's greatest surprise was Tales from the Borderlands, that one was amazing from start to finish

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Samuringa posted:

TellTale's greatest surprise was Tales from the Borderlands, that one was amazing from start to finish

Yeah, TftBl is amazing. If you haven't played it, grab it now before it gets removed from Steam due to bankruptcy proceedings.

I need a gif that is just the walk by slomo hate stare from the fourth episode to use in every post.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 23, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would assume TftB would be fine since it could just fall back to 2K, who own the IP.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I doubt that's how that sort of thing works or if it does then I doubt it'll be quite that clean.

I did buy the second season of Batman the other day though, just in case and then played through all of season 1 over this weekend, that was pretty drat good, a few pacing issues with certain character arcs but overall a pretty good Batman adventure. Looking forward to starting season 2 asap. I never heard anything particularly good about the GoTG game though so I take it that isn't worth getting even if it may at some point become completely unavailable?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm somewhere in episode 2 of the gotg one, but I keep forgetting about it and moving on to other games. It's not bad, just mediocre and by the numbers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just beat Spider-Man and my final thoughts are:

• I did not expect to cry at the end of a Spider-Man game but drat if that last scene where May tells Peter she knew for a long time got to me. Same thing for when Peter started getting all weepy over Otto being his hero and how hosed up things all went.
  • Really disappointed they didn't add a bit of dialogue when you visit May and Ben's graves in the post-game
  • The minute Miles got bit I kept expecting Peter to die, particularly when Otto started a (fake?) good turn after being beaten and begged Peter to save him I kept getting flashbacks to Osborn in the first Raimi Spider-Man and expected an arm to go stab Peter from behind. But I was very happy with a happy ending and just like Stan Lee I'm glad Peter and MJ worked things out.
  • I'm really surprised that at no point did they hint toward Norman having any sort of Green Goblin-esque insanity hiding under his veneer of Mayor/businessman. For a second I thought the stinger at the end was going to reveal he was working on some Goblin serum when the big green tank appeared but then surprise it's a symbiote.
  • Kinda disappointed that they were so vague on what the gently caress Mr. Negative's deal was? He appeared to be in some experiment and it killed his parents but they never explain why he was being experimented on and what they were experimenting on him with.

Also I wish there was some sort of theater mode so I could rewatch some of the more serious cutscenes in the game wearing some of the sillier costumes. Wanna watch Spider-Man get dramatically rolled into FEAST near-death with his loving head on fire or in his underpants

Also also, I was proud of knowing the origin of almost every costume in the game except for the Spirit Spider suit. I can't seem to find anything. Is it an original or a really vague story I've never read?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just "What if Peter had the Spirit of Vengeance"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It took me a bit to look it up, but it's from one of those three-part crossovers that they sometimes run in the annuals. It was literally in a single panel of a single comic from 2011, Incredible Hulks Annual #1, and somehow got made part of a video game.

It's an evil alternate-universe Peter who got made into a Spirit of Vengeance after he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On Norman, you can find some of his trademark bombs in the secret room. I wanna say there's tech blueprints for a glider too, but I may have made that part up.