Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

Rankine is an acceptable system to use on the grounds that it makes everyone mad

This is not a mark in Celsius's favor :colbert:

In Fahrenheit you (almost :() never have to use negatives and you never have to use decimals, it's great
Nobody uses decimals in everyday Celsius, and if you lived in an Actually Cold Place, you'd go into the negatives of Fahrenheit regularly.

You idiot fuckers should have elected Chafee, is what I'm saying. You absolute hogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I agree w temperature but metric should be used for all other purposes including the republican calendar

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

In Fahrenheit you (almost :() never have to use negatives and you never have to use decimals, it's great

Hahahahahahahaha

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

zero is cold, below zero is really cold, 40 is pretty dang hot, 20-30 is nice weather

you idiot, you piece of poo poo, you piss boy fucker !!! CHAFEEMENTUM

This is absolutely less intuitive than Fahrenheit, which is basically an apples-to-apples measure of "how hot is it outside today, on a scale of 1-100?" I say adopt all metric units except Celsius for everyday use. Celsius is good for STEM work but bad for Joe Sixpack. My logic is unimpeachable.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Maybe where you live you don't, flatlander.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

:eyepop:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Maybe where you live you don't, flatlander.

I live like an hour's drive south of you :colbert:

Boston hovers around 5-30 degrees Fahrenheit for like six months out of the year, which sucks, but at least it doesn't often go below, during the daytime anyway

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the funniest part of switching to metric would be how mad landowners get at having to describe their lots in hectares instead of acres

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

loquacius posted:

This is absolutely less intuitive than Fahrenheit, which is basically an apples-to-apples measure of "how hot is it outside today, on a scale of 1-100?" I say adopt all metric units except Celsius for everyday use. Celsius is good for STEM work but bad for Joe Sixpack. My logic is unimpeachable.
You're calling it "intuitive" because you're used to it. I have no idea if 80F is hot or not. For me

World War Mammories posted:

zero is cold, below zero is really cold, 40 is pretty dang hot, 20-30 is nice weather
is "intuitive" in that sense.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i don't normally see a scale of -10 to 40 for things :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

You're calling it "intuitive" because you're used to it. I have no idea if 80F is hot or not. For me

is "intuitive" in that sense.

All Units Of Measure Are Ultimately Arbitrary

but seriously though you can't tell me that a system where 0 is really cold and 100 is really hot isn't more intuitive for that use-case than one where 0 is kind of cold and 100 is the literal apocalypse.

Metric advocates aren't used to being told that a metric measure is less intuitive than an Imperial one, which is confusing for them, I get it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I agree w temperature but metric should be used for all other purposes including the republican calendar

Absolutely this

Can you guys believe that in the "Gregorian" calendar used by certain barbarian cultures, the year is divided up into 12 "months", and some of them have 30 days, but some of them have 31, and one of them has 28, except some years it actually has 29 for some reason

how on earth does that make any sense :confused:

And all the months are named after like Roman emperors or gods or some poo poo, it's insane

One of them means basically "month number 9" but it's the 11th one :wtc:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

farenheit is bad bc with global warming, we’ll always be in the 100s and that whole intuition thing goes out the window

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
0 c- water freezes, pretty drat cold!
100 c- water boils, really loving hot, do not touch!

how is that not intuitive?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

First off, when is the last time you or anyone you have ever spoken to used a search engine or maps service that was not run by Google? Don't step to me like DuckDuckGo is a major player in the search space which more than 0.01% of people have ever heard of or anything crazy like that. Also, how does Edge "make the computer run" :confused:

Anyway, MS doesn't have anywhere near the data-gathering racket that Google does, because (a) nobody uses their phones or search service or web browser, and (b) their main business model doesn't involve serving people targeted ads 24 hours a day, it involves selling email clients and spreadsheet software to businesses. It's not on the same level of spying as Google, or propaganda distribution as Facebook, or general human misery as Amazon. This is largely because they are simply not as relevant as they were before, sure, but it certainly has nothing to do with pearl-clutching over browser ads.

it also has to do with the fact that they do a ton of enterprise and b2b stuff, and especially govt stuff

institutional customers generally don't want their data gathered or picked over, and have the buying power necessary for their opinion to actually matter

nobody cares if you datamine Joe Rando's letter to the bank, but if terms from CEOs' business correspondence or politicians' planning discussions start showing up in ads, People Who Matter go apeshit

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Atlanta DSA and white supremacists: two sides of the same coin https://twitter.com/k_low/status/1042785006618402817?s=21

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if tumpr moves the us to the metric system he wins in 2020 imo

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
marylanders like hogan because they have centrism brain spiders. they seem to seriously think the parties should take turns. it might be the most :decorum: state

also he has cancer

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
of course the crab state loves the cancer guy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This is an easy argument to solve

Make 0 be absolute zero where nothing is colder than it

Make 1 be the temperature of the surface of the sun

Roll with it from there

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's also important to remember that ben jealous especially sucks: he's not part of the establishment yet is doing everything in his power to piss off the left

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

0 c- water freezes, pretty drat cold!
100 c- water boils, really loving hot, do not touch!

how is that not intuitive?

Oh absolutely the water people made up of 100% water should use Celsius so they don't accidentally boil

Humans should use Fahrenheit though

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

docbeard posted:

I just got one from Rodney Stooksbury but it's just a blank piece of paper.

Seth Rich was Rodney Stooksbury

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

ThndrShk2k posted:

I really need this as a gangtag/tower or w/e

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Amazon’s money is gonna be phased into global shipping, receiving, storage so Bezos is gonna pollute the planet even worse once he gets his own container ships.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

loquacius posted:

Oh absolutely the water people made up of 100% water should use Celsius so they don't accidentally boil

you realize temperature has uses for things other than what you should wear when you go out?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

you realize temperature has uses for things other than what you should wear when you go out?

Not for 99% of people it doesn't

Nobody boils water in their oven, and stovetops don't use temperature scales anyway. Water boils at HIGH.

loquacius posted:

Celsius is good for STEM work but bad for Joe Sixpack.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea what 70 Fahrenheit means. Is it hot? Maybe it's hot. I don't know, because I don't use it. This means it is an idiot system for fuckers and not appropriate for daily life.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Crotch posted:

I have no idea what 70 Fahrenheit means. Is it hot? Maybe it's hot. I don't know, because I don't use it. This means it is an idiot system for fuckers and not appropriate for daily life.

it means its fuckin' nice out

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it means its fuckin' nice out

:wrong: it's one degree away from nice, you loving idiot shithead

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Crotch posted:

haha idiot moron it’s a percentage of hotness basically

0 means gently caress rear end loving cold
100 means loving stupid rear end loving hot

70 is nice but not too nice

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i'm just glad that guy got over losing the harry potter costume contest to that little kid

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The USA should convert to the metric system but not quite yet

It would make for a good jobs program in the next recession/depression, it will be a lot of work to replace all those street signs and etc.

Let's not convert to Yurop recipe units though, who wants to deal with measuring all their ingredients on a kitchen scale

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Yes, people never use water, and feeling of warmth has nothing to do with humidity, and people do not use freezing as a reference point for weather.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 20, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

haha idiot moron it’s a percentage of hotness basically

0 means gently caress rear end loving cold
100 means loving stupid rear end loving hot

70 is nice but not too nice

So steel melts at 100 and nitrogen condenses at 0?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
i'm fuckign angry about thermometers yall!!!!!!

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GunnerJ posted:

i'm fuckign angry about thermometers yall!!!!!!

gently caress you

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

So steel melts at 100 and nitrogen condenses at 0?

CORRECT

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, people never use water, and feeling of warmth has nothing to do with humidity, and people do not use freezing as a reference point for weather.

Every day when I'm trying to figure out what clothes and jacket are going to be appropriate for the weather, the first thing I think is "ok but how hot is it out relative to the boiling point of water? If I took a glass of water outside and just kind of left it for a while, what would happen?" My temperature scale is water-based, because all of my decisions are water-based. I was considering not posting this, but my water said it was okay. Water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you are both wrong pizza is superior