Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Residency is paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

This is true, but residents aren't medical students and not the equivalent to midwife students.

OB residents also have some of the most hilariously terrible work-life balances I've ever seen and are often sitting on somewhere between 100k to 200k of debt.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

Residency is paid.

About 6$ an hour when you crunch the numbers.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

eXXon posted:

So uh are you just assuming that they don't exist or what? I mean, you could take 5 whole seconds to google it.

No just weird to me specifically. As in I’m surprised, not as in I think it isn’t correct.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Edgar Quintero posted:

do Kenora and Thunder Bay count as small towns?

The last time I was in Kenora a cruiser with four cops pulled up beside me and they were all doing the redneck thing where they were climbing over each other and giving me the finger and having some sort of party in the cruiser as they passed. It was weird and one of the most redneck things I've ever personally witnessed.

To confirm: yes, all four people in the cruiser were uniformed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:thunk:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

About 6$ an hour when you crunch the numbers.

Oh, they're definitely not paid well :v:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

DetoxP posted:

Medical students absolutely do not get paid. They actively lose money while they work.

I don't even mean they spend more money than they make. The income is $0.

Oh, am I mistaken? I thought that they got paid while doing internships and residency. Obviously neither group gets paid while attending classes, but I thought that future doctors got paid for being out there doing medical work while being trained. That's something I'm hazy on though, so if you want to clarify, that'd be cool.

Student midwives do two placements - one 4-month one fairly early on where they don't really have much responsibility and are primarily there to learn, and then a second year-long one where they are taking appointments with clients and doing the real work (while being supervised and advised). How does that compare to what med students do?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Disappointing but mildly comforting, I guess. I was worried that the Scheer/Bernier/Ford triumvirate of worst would score higher.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, am I mistaken? I thought that they got paid while doing internships and residency. Obviously neither group gets paid while attending classes, but I thought that future doctors got paid for being out there doing medical work while being trained. That's something I'm hazy on though, so if you want to clarify, that'd be cool.

They do get paid but they also aren't considered "medical students".

Residents start at just under $60k in Ontario, ramping up about $5k every year until they complete their residency. It varies based on the province and as with all medical professionals, Quebec pays the worst.

So compared to full doctors yeah, it's pretty low. But still not a terrible salary, especially after a few years.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 20, 2018

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

So we've only got about ten days left in Quebec's provincial election campaign and things have been pretty interesting. A very large amount of voters I spoke to said they were waiting for the leader's debate on the 13th to make their decision. When I watched the debate with my coworkers we were all yelling at the TV for Manon Massé (Québec Solidaire's Co-spokesperson) to interject more often. The debate had a timer that counted all the time they had spent talking and Manon was behind by five minutes. That said, it seems the overall effect was that Manon was perceived by many voters to be different than the three other bickering boys and was the only one to calmly and clearly discuss their actual platform. Several voters I have talked to since have said they changed their vote to us for this reason (go figure a debate actually influenced some people...).

If you remember from the beginning of the campaign, François Legault's CAQ was strongly leading the polls with a projected CAQ majority government. They were seen by most voters as the party that represented the always vague, but powerful idea of "change". QS begun the campaign with about 8% popular support.

Last Saturday after the debate performance that showed many that Legault was just like the other guys, a journalist asked him how long an immigrant needs to be in Canada before becoming a citizen. He answered "A few months" and the journalist shot back "It's 3 years Mr. Legault". Since then, he has had a lot of trouble keeping journalists from asking him precise questions on immigration which he again answered incorrectly on Sunday. Since the debate and this gaffe, his party has dropped 4-6% in the polls, enough to put the Liberals back in the lead. Remember, this is the dude who is proposing that after 3-4 years of being in Québec, that immigrants be subjected to a Québec history, culture and language test that if they failed, would be deported. He now says that they could try the test as many times as they would like and is changing his position every day. He is floundering and even asking journalists "Can't we talk about something other than immigration?" when he wanted to make it a issue for this election.

While this is happening, QS has gained a lot of ground in the polls. Starting the campaign at 8%, in the polls most favourable to us, we are now at 17% and gaining every time a new one comes out. Oddly enough, we are starting to absorb this aura of "change" initially attached to the CAQ. Where the anti-establishment vote is in some cases transferring to us from the CAQ.

Meanwhile from the Parti Québécois, Jean-François Lisée is flopping around trying to scoop up the growing progressive QS vote. The pivot has had him paint himself as the most environmentally friendly party and he has appealed to the strategic vote to block the CAQ or the Liberals. This is unfortunate, because many of the people we spoke to at the beginning of the campaign were die-hard PQ voters who had voted for them since the days of Réné Lévesque and had decided to finally try something new. If the PQ, which is currently stagnating in the polls, starts to gain ground, those people might go back to old habits.

On the 17th, there was the first ever televised English language leader's debate which was a big deal in Québec, with some people even protesting against it. It was a vert important night for QS because they have a very limited access to the anglophone vote, perhaps by choice until now. Manon's English is not strong and when I watched the debate later on, I had a tough time understanding what she was trying to communicate. She was saved by her sincerity and by being last to give her closing statement which was quite well done and even invoked Corbyn by saying we want to "govern for the many and not the few".

One of the more interesting things to come out of this campaign has come from calling into anglophone liberal strongholds (Greek or Italian communities) who frequently communicated that they were fed up with the language debate and having the liberals take their vote for granted.

Watching an electoral campaign this closely has been interesting, but I feel that it gives you an unrealistic view of what is happening. If I were to look at polling data, the Liberals might win in a minority. If I were to trust more gut instincts, it feels like the Liberals are disliked by all including their own supporters and that for the first time, QS is being taken seriously as a true alternative.

Just wanted to share this as especially with all the shenanigans going down at Queens Park right now, this doesn't seem to be penetrating into English media. What has been awesome is that the discourse is increasingly revolving around environmental issues and moving away from immigration.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Edgar Quintero posted:

Fixed that for you. NDP lost 2nd place to the PC by less than 500 votes in like a dozen ridings.

This is precious

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Evis posted:

Doulas are useful. Midwives are downright dangerous

So the accredited ones are dangerous but the hippy bullshit one is useful. I see.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So the accredited ones are dangerous but the hippy bullshit one is useful. I see.

Doulas have less training but they can't even cause much trouble if they try since they don't really do much, medically speaking. Midwives can be much more helpful but an unhelpful midwife is much worse than an unhelpful doula, if that makes sense.

Edit:
Regarding med students: it's often a 4 year program with the second half being working in a hospital, all of which is unpaid. Residency is after, is often 5 years, and is paid on salary. But you're not a student anymore.

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 20, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

Viva la Québec Solidaire

Thanks for posting this, it was cool and informative and it would be the greatest thing in Canadian politics if there was an orange wave in Quebec and QS somehow won the election.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

As someone already mentioned they’re very different roles.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lots of uniformed medical and medical career opinions in this thread lately

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

ARACHTION posted:

Watching an electoral campaign this closely has been interesting, but I feel that it gives you an unrealistic view of what is happening. If I were to look at polling data, the Liberals might win in a minority. If I were to trust more gut instincts, it feels like the Liberals are disliked by all including their own supporters and that for the first time, QS is being taken seriously as a true alternative.

Based on the "we", are you volunteering for the solidaires? I'd have loved to contribute if I wasn't expatriate.

I wish I could be reassured by the polls, but unfortunately we've been bitten by FPTP far too often to rejoice yet. The best case scenario in my opinion (that is feasible) is a PQ minority with QS as the balance of power.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

zapplez posted:

Lots of uniformed medical and medical career opinions in this thread lately

I’m wearing my good opinion pants.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hand Knit posted:

I’m wearing my good opinion pants.

God drat phone posting

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My highly unscientific sample size of two voters revealed that baby boomer Anglos think that Quebec Solidaire is a Super Separatist party that want to build five billion metro stations.

Information about the QS platform is hard to acquire when all you listen to is CJAD, I guess.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Jan posted:

Based on the "we", are you volunteering for the solidaires? I'd have loved to contribute if I wasn't expatriate.

I wish I could be reassured by the polls, but unfortunately we've been bitten by FPTP far too often to rejoice yet. The best case scenario in my opinion (that is feasible) is a PQ minority with QS as the balance of power.

I’m working for them mostly in a phone call, pointing capacity. They wanted to have the most diverse team possible and as a straight white male anglophone, I count as a minority for the first time in my life.

The balance of power scenario would be great. Especially since all opposition parties have signed an agreement to make this the last FPTP election. Let’s hope no one pulls a Trudeau on that one though...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

Thanks for posting this, it was cool and informative and it would be the greatest thing in Canadian politics if there was an orange wave in Quebec and QS somehow won the election.

Is there anyone that lives in Quebec that is following the QS? I've seen they are holding rallies/events for elections sake, what are the crowds like, size/age wise?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The Dark One posted:

My highly unscientific sample size of two voters revealed that baby boomer Anglos think that Quebec Solidaire is a Super Separatist party that want to build five billion metro stations.

Information about the QS platform is hard to acquire when all you listen to is CJAD, I guess.

Yeah frustratingly, in past elections their website had an anglophone section but for non-political reasons that I shouldn’t say, they haven’t put one up yet, though that should be resolved shortly. It makes it hard when I convince anglophones that the environment is a problem without borders and we’re the only ones taking it seriously and then they ask where they can see the platform and it’s not in English :-(.

Interesting camping promises made by them that I haven’t mentioned: nationalized interurbain bus service to replace greyhound type options, nationalized internet to make a competitor 30% cheaper than big telecoms, a nationalized battery production company to try to make Quebec a world leader in that tech (apparently there are lots of lithium deposits in Qc?), a maximum salary for companies receiving provincial funds set at 30x the lowest salaries employee.

The metro station thing is true, I think the number was 32 new ones.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Dark One posted:

They're probably the most likely to push for a referendum, yeah, although not for separation for its own sake. In a recent interview, Gabriel Nadeau Dubois was saying that if the party wants to make its pro-environment, pro-transit issues heard at the federal level. But if the Liberals and other provinces keep championing pipelines and similar projects that go directly against their platform, then separation might well become a necessity.

And given the Liberals's insistence on building this lovely pipeline no matter what, I guess that makes this outcome very likely.

e: Which is actually why the PQ originally was pushing for independence, come to think of it.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 20, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

ARACHTION posted:

Yeah frustratingly, in past elections their website had an anglophone section but for non-political reasons that I shouldn’t say, they haven’t put one up yet, though that should be resolved shortly. It makes it hard when I convince anglophones that the environment is a problem without borders and we’re the only ones taking it seriously and then they ask where they can see the platform and it’s not in English :-(.

Interesting camping promises made by them that I haven’t mentioned: nationalized interurbain bus service to replace greyhound type options, nationalized internet to make a competitor 30% cheaper than big telecoms, a nationalized battery production company to try to make Quebec a world leader in that tech (apparently there are lots of lithium deposits in Qc?), a maximum salary for companies receiving provincial funds set at 30x the lowest salaries employee.

Pay cap multipliers is one of my favorite policies at any level especially if they can close any loopholes associated with compensation through stock options and bonuses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish I could scoop up Montreal and Victoria and some other good parts of Canada to put them all together in their own province/island then separate. Like just go full Carmen Sandiego and steal all the least bad bits.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I wish that people who lived on curving streets lost the right to vote

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Pay cap multipliers is one of my favorite policies at any level especially if they can close any loopholes associated with compensation through stock options and bonuses.

Seriously.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This thread probably has the highest concentration of people affected by this, but heads up if you bought from NCIX before they went bankrupt lol

quote:

Craigslist seller claiming to have NCIX’ Database servers for only $1500 CAD...“18 DELL Poweredge servers, as well as at least two Supermicro server’s running StarWind iSCSI Software that NCIX had used to back up their hard disks.”.

Worst of all however, is that he also stumbled into unencrypted tables containing consumer information. This has their addresses, names, contact information and all necessary information to steal their identity. This not only includes NCIX customers from Canada, but from the US as well.

The database also contained full credit card payment details in plain text for 258,000 users.

https://www.eteknix.com/ncix-database-servers-sold-at-auction-without-being-wiped/
https://www.privacyfly.com/articles/ncix_breach/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

This thread probably has the highest concentration of people affected by this, but heads up if you bought from NCIX before they went bankrupt lol

https://www.eteknix.com/ncix-database-servers-sold-at-auction-without-being-wiped/

Hahaha

gently caress

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there anyone that lives in Quebec that is following the QS? I've seen they are holding rallies/events for elections sake, what are the crowds like, size/age wise?

This article discusses the largest rally of QS so far in Quebec City which had more than 1000 people: https://www.google.ca/amp/ici.radio-canada.ca/amp/1124051/quebec-solidaire-rassemblement-port-quebec

Events I’ve been to have been a good cross section of people 18-70 with the median probably around 35?

People under 25 seem to frequently be apolitical or say they want to spoil their ballots. In Montréal there are posters in the student quarter saying “boycott the bourgeois election”. For the most part for the kids it seems to be a fight between QS and spoiling the ballot.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Seriously.

Seriously as in seriously what the gently caress are you thinking? Or you seriously agree?

Also JFC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/st-paul-questionnaire-residential-schools-1.4831707

quote:

A school division in northeastern Alberta is apologizing for an online social studies question that asked students about the "positive effect" of residential schools.

A photo of the multiple-choice question was posted on social media by an outraged student, asking: "A positive effect of residential schools was" followed by four possible answers.

The choices were: children were away from home; children learned to read; children were taught manners; children became civilized.

"I can't take this back, so much that I wish I could, I take responsibility for it and for that I am truly sorry," Glen Brodziak, superintendent of the St. Paul Education Regional Division, told CBC News on Thursday.

The questionnaire was created by the Alberta Distance Learning Centre, Brodziak said.

Brodziak said the student is taking a social studies class by correspondence with St. Paul Alternate Education Centre.

The principal will reach out to the student's family, Brodziak said.

Alongside the photo the student wrote: "My teacher got me all the way f--ked up if he actually expects me to answer this s--t. F--king disgusted."

St. Paul is 200 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Seriously as in seriously what the gently caress are you thinking? Or you seriously agree?

[quote="DariusLikewise" post="488135287"]

Funny that you say this. The Parti Quebecois’ slogan is “Seriously.” Which has gotta be the dumbest I’ve seen because to people who don’t like them it reads “Seriously ?”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Also JFC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/st-paul-questionnaire-residential-schools-1.4831707

this is why we need to tear down the statues

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Hahaha

gently caress

The data has definitely been copied and sold/posted lol

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

quote:

From what Doering saw, the computers contained various papers and documents. Some of which even belonged personally to NCIX founder Steve Wu. According to Doering, he found “data going back 13 years, financial documents, employment letters containing SIN numbers”. This even featured personal documents and images of Mr. Wu’s family mixed in with numerous private photos of high end escorts from mainland china.

lol

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

ARACHTION posted:

As an anglo immigrant in Montreal with a pending PR application, I'm totally down for QS. Mildly worried that CAQ get in and shut the door on any pending immigration applications. I submitted paperwork months ago, but Quebec bureaucracy isn't exactly famous for it's speed...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Well at least we know why NCIX went bankrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

As an anglo immigrant in Montreal with a pending PR application, I'm totally down for QS. Mildly worried that CAQ get in and shut the door on any pending immigration applications. I submitted paperwork months ago, but Quebec bureaucracy isn't exactly famous for it's speed...

Good luck, buddy! I too am caught in Quebecois bureaucratic hell trying to get my professional certification transferred.