Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

LongDarkNight posted:

That introduction video is extremely charming. Going to be hard not to back.

Cecil, being the smart dude he is, threw up an explainer site here - https://www.theforesthymn.com/

He was also on a podcast with Introcaso a few days ago to talk about it - https://dontsplitthepodcastnetwork.com/table-top-babble/090

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is Pax Pamir 2e worth backing for solo mode alone. I rarely have 4-5 players but Ricky Royals solo play through looked enticing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Sneaking on in here from my hiatus to let everyone know that recognized genius and all around great RPG dude Cecil Howe has just launched his The Forest Hymn & Picnic kickstarter, linked here.

Wait, wait, Cecil Howe is the guy who made HexKit. I did not realize this until after I pledged, this makes me even happier than before about pledging.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LongDarkNight posted:

That introduction video is extremely charming. Going to be hard not to back.

Shadow of the Demon Lord does not strike me as the right system for this setting. I might be wrong, but less crunch, more whimsy seems the way to go.

e. Humbug's link corrected,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/things-from-the-flood-sequel-to-tales-from-the-loo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

mllaneza posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord does not strike me as the right system for this setting. I might be wrong, but less crunch, more whimsy seems the way to go.

Yeah, this is a sticking point for me. I haven't played SotDL, admittedly, but nothing I've heard about it suggests that it's a good fit for absurd babes-in-the-wood fantasy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
SotDL is fast, somewhat rocket-taggy D&D style combat plus a pleasantly unobtrusive universal resolution system for non-combat stuff.

Personally I don't believe there is such a thing as a mismatch of theme and crunch level, but there is such a thing as a mismatch of what gets the crunch and theme, and I don't really associate The Wind in the Willows with combat.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Stripped of it's setting, SotDL seems perfectly cromulent.

Oh man I need those meeples.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cassa posted:

Stripped of it's setting, SotDL seems perfectly cromulent.

Oh man I need those meeples.

If it's the Itemeeples you want more than the game, Tiny Epic Quest, Zombies and Defenders 2E all use them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i don't think cecil is using every single mechanic from base sotdl. from what i've seen him say this is his own hack using the system to accomplish something a lot more lighthearted

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Jedit posted:

If it's the Itemeeples you want more than the game, Tiny Epic Quest, Zombies and Defenders 2E all use them.

Yes, but mechs in particular.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

madadric posted:

I've opened my Kickstarter for Imulse Drive!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

Impulse Drive is around 10% away from funding. You can check the game out at the above Drivethru link, and Roll20 has up to date character sheets, perfect for online play.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Serf posted:

i don't think cecil is using every single mechanic from base sotdl. from what i've seen him say this is his own hack using the system to accomplish something a lot more lighthearted

This sounds right, based on what the kickstarter says -

quote:

Between its pages, The Forest Hymn & Picnic runs a heavily modified version of the very well loved, very brilliantly engineered system from Robert J. Schwalb's Shadow of the Demon Lord. It's a set of rules that champions ease of use, simple maths, and a progression system that gives players a near endless supply of options in creating unique characters through the course of play. The Forest Hymn & Picnic keeps all of that in its pocket while making the changes needed to fit this setting—simplified magic, abstract wealth, and new inventory rules are some of the biggest changes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

SotDL is fast, somewhat rocket-taggy D&D style combat plus a pleasantly unobtrusive universal resolution system for non-combat stuff.

Personally I don't believe there is such a thing as a mismatch of theme and crunch level, but there is such a thing as a mismatch of what gets the crunch and theme, and I don't really associate The Wind in the Willows with combat.

The Recapture of Toad Hall was my favourite part of the audio book as a child.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Badger ain’t to be hosed with, he’s gonna learn ya.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that said i might buy this game solely on the basis of whether or not the abstract wealth system is a) good and b) easily hacked back into SotDL because gently caress tracking gold pieces

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a kickstarter for a robot game called Cav: Strike Ops. Anybody know anything about these Talon Game guys?

I'm torn. On the one hand, robot miniature game. On the other hand, all the robots look really bad, and the game is called Cav, which is the worst name for a miniatures game I've ever heard.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a kickstarter for a robot game called Cav: Strike Ops. Anybody know anything about these Talon Game guys?

I'm torn. On the one hand, robot miniature game. On the other hand, all the robots look really bad, and the game is called Cav, which is the worst name for a miniatures game I've ever heard.

I backed the first one. The robots are...bad. They were made of Bones plastic which doesn't work well with lots of straight lines. Like all Bones KSes, though, the models sure are plentiful. They make good fodder for Horizon Wars games and a handful of the designs were genuinely okay.

The rules are an okay also-ran mech game. The main innovation is the ablative stat numbers that add easy consequences to damage without needing tona of rules a la Battletech. They're heavier than Alpha Strike but not nearly as bad as btech standard.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Orc Stabr arrived!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bieeanshee posted:

My Orc Stabr arrived!

Man, imagine how alarming some of these things would be if they went to folks who didn't expect the joke.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
13 Demon Princes has a neat concept which folks here might be interested in.

I'm not, because I have no patience for LARPs at all, but other people might be more flexible than me!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just got an email saying a kickstarter will go up for Bios:Origins 2, Pax Transhumanity and a collectors edition reprint of Pax Porfiriana on October 28th, 2018.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Man, imagine how alarming some of these things would be if they went to folks who didn't expect the joke.

I hope to find out soon! Backed for a friend.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Oh no, my Orc Stabr seems to have been lost in the post. All I got was a game about filthy capitalism!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I appear to have received an incredibly unbalanced version of Orc Stabr, characters in my games will suffer from pretty intense MAD if they want to be any good at brewing tea!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

simonwolf posted:

I'm another non-American who would definitely have backed Channel A if it was an option. Sticking with the print and play for the foreseeable future I guess!
It just funded with a few hours to go, so Channel A is happening, and you'll be able to get it outside the U.S. through retail distribution when it comes out next year. :)

Also, feast your eyes on Orc Stabr Galactica:

e: Also, the Normal Human Business website is real and pretty great.

Ewen Cluney fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 20, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Glad to see the international copies made it to their homes! Sorry for the lack of badges in that lot ya'll, hope the double cards makes up for it.

And congrats to Ewen and Nesbit37!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ewen Cluney posted:

It just funded with a few hours to go, so Channel A is happening, and you'll be able to get it outside the U.S. through retail distribution when it comes out next year. :)

That's fantastic news! I'll ask my local shop to order a copy when it's out. :)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Glad to see the international copies made it to their homes! Sorry for the lack of badges in that lot ya'll, hope the double cards makes up for it.

It's all good! Thanks for putting on a hell of a show with this kickstarter and the ARG. :)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that said i might buy this game solely on the basis of whether or not the abstract wealth system is a) good and b) easily hacked back into SotDL because gently caress tracking gold pieces

Cecil posted some new faqs, including this one:

Is there fighting? posted:

One of the larger changes from SotDL I've made is that combat takes a bit of an aside to other things. There are rules for fighting, and the brilliant initiative system from SotDL is preserved, but combat should at all times be seen as a last resort. Rather than being given many combat and weapon options, players instead receive signature moves and magic tricks to help solve (or create!) problems in creative ways. For example, there is a magic trick a player might learn that causes whomever they play the trick on to teleport away each time they sneeze for a whole week. That player might choose to play that trick on their coterie and then take turns tickling each other's nose to escape a hairy situation.

Variable damage rolling as been removed as well, when there is a fight simply scoring a hit is enough to knock most enemies unconscious or cause them to flee. Likewise, player characters can take very few wounds before they fall.

Last updated: Thu, September 20 2018 11:55 AM EDT
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cecil-howe/the-forest-hymn-and-picnic/faqs

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hello!

I just posted another Kickstarter: Tales of the Talking Skeletons!

It's an anthology of adventures for Dungeon World, each featuring at least one talking skeleton. I've rounded up authors with as many distinct perspectives as I could find -- the resulting collection should have something for everyone, provided the everyone in question likes talking skeletons.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and self-promote everywhere I can think of. Maybe squeeze in some mild panic before bed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Inhuman Conditions revealed a new stretch goal, Scenarios. Designed to tie together a bunch of play sessions together into a narrative, if that's your jam.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I just backed the The Partisans, did I make a mistake? There's less than two days left.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ogdred Weary posted:

I just backed the The Partisans, did I make a mistake? There's less than two days left.

Yes.

Because (warning, goon hates popular thing) Extra Credits has terrible opinions and over simplifies things and ignores anything not fitting its comfortable premises.

Since it's a debate game might be good. But it's a red flag for me.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Bombadilillo posted:

Because (warning, goon hates popular thing) Extra Credits has terrible opinions and over simplifies things and ignores anything not fitting its comfortable premises.

As someone who enjoys Extra History while not being anything remotely resembling a history buff, could you expand on that? What have they gotten egregiously wrong? Not trying to challenge you, just want to be aware of any faults in the media I watch.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kaza42 posted:

As someone who enjoys Extra History while not being anything remotely resembling a history buff, could you expand on that? What have they gotten egregiously wrong? Not trying to challenge you, just want to be aware of any faults in the media I watch.

First of all:

Point #1 is loving dumb as hell on its own. It would also be incredibly naive, at best, but point #2 right after it makes it just loving stupid. Backstabbing! Lobbyists! But be kind to the Trumpster fire sitting at the table next to you?

But anyway, James Portnow is a huge piece of poo poo, so don't give him money or attention.

EDIT:

I mean loving uuuuugggh:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 20, 2018

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Hello!

I just posted another Kickstarter: Tales of the Talking Skeletons!

It's an anthology of adventures for Dungeon World, each featuring at least one talking skeleton. I've rounded up authors with as many distinct perspectives as I could find -- the resulting collection should have something for everyone, provided the everyone in question likes talking skeletons.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and self-promote everywhere I can think of. Maybe squeeze in some mild panic before bed.

I'm one of the stretch goals so this is a pretty good deal if you ask me :getin:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ettin posted:

I'm one of the stretch goals so this is a pretty good deal if you ask me :getin:

As someone who knows nothing about dungeon world, what can you (or anyone else) tell me about it and is it something that is required for this KS or is it something that is more of a suggestion than anything else

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

FirstAidKite posted:

As someone who knows nothing about dungeon world, what can you (or anyone else) tell me about it and is it something that is required for this KS or is it something that is more of a suggestion than anything else

Dungeon World is basically D&D but with a significant portion of the cruft trimmed away. It's not without its flaws, as plenty of people on this forum will point out, but for my money it offers a better D&D experience (that is, better reflects the goofy adventuring I remember from my youth) than any actual edition of D&D. We have a huge thread on it here if you feel like digging some more.

The text has been released under a creative commons license so you can read the whole thing legit for free online if you want to get a taster. I use mattie.net/dungeon as a reference when writing -- it's not the prettiest rendition but all the substance is there.

Regarding whether it's necessary for this KS, well... yes and no? I know my previous Dungeon World work Plague of Storms has proven popular with fans of old-school D&D, so clearly it's possible to adapt the adventures and dungeons to other systems. But since all the rules are written for Dungeon World you'll need to do some conversion work on the monsters and such.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's cool, I know International shipping is a massive pain in the rear end.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Dungeon World is basically D&D but with a significant portion of the cruft trimmed away. It's not without its flaws, as plenty of people on this forum will point out, but for my money it offers a better D&D experience (that is, better reflects the goofy adventuring I remember from my youth) than any actual edition of D&D. We have a huge thread on it here if you feel like digging some more.

The text has been released under a creative commons license so you can read the whole thing legit for free online if you want to get a taster. I use mattie.net/dungeon as a reference when writing -- it's not the prettiest rendition but all the substance is there.

Regarding whether it's necessary for this KS, well... yes and no? I know my previous Dungeon World work Plague of Storms has proven popular with fans of old-school D&D, so clearly it's possible to adapt the adventures and dungeons to other systems. But since all the rules are written for Dungeon World you'll need to do some conversion work on the monsters and such.

Thanks for the info :)

With that last bit, I was mostly wondering if it was something that required knowledge of Dungeon World's rules because it's a campaign using its rules or if the stuff in the kickstarter is using its own system that is modified off of Dungeon World's rules, so I appreciate the response and the clarification very much!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To put it another way, Dungeon World tries to be like D&D, while still primarily being a improv. game with extra structure and dice rolls on top. RAW D&D itself has always been a pseudo-medieval wargame with some advice for improv lightly sprinkled on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Bee Lives just unlocked it's first stretch goal! This is great, in particular because things have really slowed down starting on Tuesday. I speculate it's because of all the big kickstarters that launched this week sapping the wind out of the smaller campaigns, but it could also just be how kickstarter is since the mid campaign slump is totally a thing.

Campaign URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

Also, I swear we have a kickstarter troll. This one backer was saying yesterday how excited he was to hit the first stretch goal. We hit it this morning and he immediately canceled his pledge. Then we hit it again later in the day and he resigned up then cancelled again. Maybe this is normal but it just seems a little weird.