Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dumb as I sound, this reminded me of my dad so hard that I cried

Not dumb at all.

I understand, believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Did Bush or Blair play video games? Or Saddam? Did Kennedy watch war movies?
I think Mohammad bin Salman has a Twitch stream or something, but that's about it.

I just had the depressing thought that video games pro/anti war message do not matter because nobody that decides to start a war plays them.
Hell, not like you can do anything about the next war, so you might as well not feel lovely about it. Like taking an opiate before getting a rotting limb chopped off.
angela merkel enjoys the hell out of Farming Simulator 17

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rockopolis posted:

Did Bush or Blair play video games? Or Saddam? Did Kennedy watch war movies?
I think Mohammad bin Salman has a Twitch stream or something, but that's about it.

I just had the depressing thought that video games pro/anti war message do not matter because nobody that decides to start a war plays them.
Hell, not like you can do anything about the next war, so you might as well not feel lovely about it. Like taking an opiate before getting a rotting limb chopped off.

Not to give video games too much credit as influencers of public opinion but it’s not just the decision-makers that need to be convinced; if you psych up the general public enough, that sometimes has an effect.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bin Laden played bootleg rom hacks.
Okay, that's funny.

HEY GUNS posted:

And that's cute :3:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not to give video games too much credit as influencers of public opinion but it’s not just the decision-makers that need to be convinced; if you psych up the general public enough, that sometimes has an effect.
But this...I dunno, is it the difference between having to do "WMDs and terrorism" and "gently caress it, let's go out and do a war."?
I mean, it's less important today than ever - it's not like you have to convince people to get drafted or pay war taxes.
Edit
Hell, not like Barthas or those GIs decided to start their wars.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 20, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

Whoa the dude that grabs the wire and then BOOM just hands. Surprised you could be that graphic in 1930.

What's the timestamp? I've watched it like 1.5 times and didn't notice

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

And that's cute :3:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That All Quiet on the Western Front clip is brutal. I think you can tell that it's more immediately post war, it's a lot more visceral and messy than Paths of Glory.

edit: the helmet covers are a really nice touch

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't some sort of cavalry of that period have coils of rope wrapped around one of their arms, I think their off one, to help with the occasional saber swing

It was a jacket called pelisse:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Weren't the amputees in the original All Quiet actual veterans from the war too?

ChubbyChecker posted:

It was a jacket called pelisse:

They used those to look cool and pick up chicks really.

They sometimes wore their greatcoats in a roll around themselves as crude saber deflection. Don't understand how either can be confused with the sword lanyard/tassel they'd use wrapped around their wrists!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the pelisse is boss

in theory it is designed to keep your arm free while keeping yourself kind of warm and providing a little extra protection but really it's to look fresh and make sure everyone knows that your squadron is the most fly and least disciplined in the whole goddamn army

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the timestamp? I've watched it like 1.5 times and didn't notice

2:30

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

noscope corn shot?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some of those pre-code movies are loving eerie man. That movie Freaks is still unnerving than more recent horror movies by far.

e: could have swore there was some sort of a looped rope, impromptu armor at some point. If there was, it must not have worked or I figure it'd have caught on lol

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 20, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
On the subject of WWI and Hollywood

quote:

Carl Voss was a born leader — when he left the Army after World War I, he went on to command Maori warriors, Roman footsoldiers, and revolutionary Americans.

Voss was leader of the “Military Picture Players,” a group of up to 2,112 former servicemen who fought one another in Hollywood battle scenes. He drilled his soldiers as infantry, cavalry, and artillerymen and ensured that their appearance was authentic whether they were playing Germans, Hessians, Chinese, Senegalese, Czechs, or Crusaders. And he was good at it: Between The Big Parade (1925) and Four Sons (1940), Voss’s troops clashed in 232 engagements without a serious casualty.

So it was ironic that red tape finally killed them. The Screen Actors Guild ruled that Voss was essentially an extra and could not direct its members — a curious judgment, as by that time he’d become arguably one of the most versatile commanders in screen history.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some of those pre-code movies are loving eerie man. That movie Freaks is still unnerving than more recent horror movies by far.

e: could have swore there was some sort of a looped rope, impromptu armor at some point. If there was, it must not have worked or I figure it'd have caught on lol

A rolled up greatcoat around the mid section is pretty much honestly what you are thinking of now, infantry in some nations also did this. Russians also used their rolled greatcoats are improvised haversacks.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SeanBeansShako posted:

A rolled up greatcoat around the mid section is pretty much honestly what you are thinking of now, infantry in some nations also did this. Russians also used their rolled greatcoats are improvised haversacks.

You mean like this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yep.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's been out on the civilian market for a while, but it's finally arrived at the US military. The pizza MRE is here. How did they come up with the idea of the MRE? Is it just a natural outgrowth of the obsession with scientific food in the later 20th century?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

golden bubble posted:

It's been out on the civilian market for a while, but it's finally arrived at the US military. The pizza MRE is here. How did they come up with the idea of the MRE? Is it just a natural outgrowth of the obsession with scientific food in the later 20th century?

Well, obviously, you have to feed troops, and sometimes it's not feasible to cook meals for them. So, you give them field rations, for them to carry around with them. They need to be light, calorically dense, and preservable. The US stated giving soldiers prepared ration packs in 1907 with the "Iron ration', which was basically this compressed bar made from wheat and bullion that soldiers could eat raw or boil in water.

The MRE itself dates from 1981, when it was created to replace the existing "MCI" ration, which tended to be disliked by troops and was heavy to carry. The new MRE was lighter, came in more varieties (Originally 13, now like 24), and tended to taste better.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

I know cloaks were used for festivities at times way back in the day but I might have been thinking more muay thai wraps for the rope thing. It seems like something you could probably wrap around your forearm from wrist to elbow, might help with an errant slash or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that is cool, thank you for sharing it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I know cloaks were used for festivities at times way back in the day but I might have been thinking more muay thai wraps for the rope thing. It seems like something you could probably wrap around your forearm from wrist to elbow, might help with an errant slash or something.

It will interfere with your ability to use that arm and you don't really want to try to block a sabre with your arm even if it is covered in ropes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I meant more a slash from like a knife or something in a street fight but I don't disagree with you. Definitely not military history I guess

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So like every other tin-pit dictator Saddam was always more concerned with internal enemies (real or otherwise) than the external. Makes sense.

To be fair, I doubt there was much he could have done to blunt (even for a few weeks) a determined U.S. led invasion anyway. Certainly not with his 2003-era ramshackle of an army.

Oh, he was plenty worried about external enemies too, just not the US:

The US attack, for reference, came across the border at Safwan, rolled through Jalibah, split into two prongs at Nasiriyah to take Kut and Najaf, then converged on Baghdad well before the regular army units stationed along the Green Line could have much say in the matter. Iran was always Iraq's mortal enemy and the one its defense policy was focused on countering.

As an aside, everybody should read Cobra II. Its description of Rumsfeld issuing major policy directives and managing the DoD via flurries of cryptic Post-It notes on the basis of neocon "one weird trick" type pop-military-strategy books is... quite something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Its description of Rumsfeld issuing major policy directives and managing the DoD via flurries of cryptic Post-It notes on the basis of neocon "one weird trick" type pop-military-strategy books is... quite something.

I vaguely recall this and I remember it being baffling, depressing and funny at the selfsame time but that's been a while I think and I don't much remember the particulars.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

It's funny how youtube thinks that the next videos I want to watch are Nazi propaganda.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Well, obviously, you have to feed troops, and sometimes it's not feasible to cook meals for them. So, you give them field rations, for them to carry around with them. They need to be light, calorically dense, and preservable. The US stated giving soldiers prepared ration packs in 1907 with the "Iron ration', which was basically this compressed bar made from wheat and bullion that soldiers could eat raw or boil in water.

The MRE itself dates from 1981, when it was created to replace the existing "MCI" ration, which tended to be disliked by troops and was heavy to carry. The new MRE was lighter, came in more varieties (Originally 13, now like 24), and tended to taste better.

Also interestingly the same researchers subsequently took the research they'd used to develop the MRE with them into private industry and used to to design what would become Lunchables, the prepackaged meal for kids.

MREs implemented a number of innovations that really improved soldier's nutrition. For example during trials the food scientists involved discovered that although soldiers would claim to like strong and unique flavors, they'd rapidly grow tired of them and stop eating them. By contrast bland options like white bread and rice tended to earn poor or middling ratings for flavor, but would continue eating them almost indefinitely. Giving users the ability to pick between entrees, including options to customize the meal like a hot sauce packet, these significantly increased the odds people would actually eat as much as they needed.

This is mostly vaguely remembered from this New Yorker article I read five years ago. Possibly I'm misremembering the details but I'm just going to link it and not check myself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food posted:

Moskowitz’s path to mastering the bliss point began in earnest not at Harvard but a few months after graduation, 16 miles from Cambridge, in the town of Natick, where the U.S. Army hired him to work in its research labs. The military has long been in a peculiar bind when it comes to food: how to get soldiers to eat more rations when they are in the field. They know that over time, soldiers would gradually find their meals-ready-to-eat so boring that they would toss them away, half-eaten, and not get all the calories they needed. But what was causing this M.R.E.-fatigue was a mystery. “So I started asking soldiers how frequently they would like to eat this or that, trying to figure out which products they would find boring,” Moskowitz said. The answers he got were inconsistent. “They liked flavorful foods like turkey tetrazzini, but only at first; they quickly grew tired of them. On the other hand, mundane foods like white bread would never get them too excited, but they could eat lots and lots of it without feeling they’d had enough.”

This contradiction is known as “sensory-specific satiety.” In lay terms, it is the tendency for big, distinct flavors to overwhelm the brain, which responds by depressing your desire to have more. Sensory-specific satiety also became a guiding principle for the processed-food industry. The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating.

edit: in this quote it looks like the researcher didn't actually create the first MREs, he just helped improve them.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I have very very long hair (down to my butt) atm and want to do something with it other than tie it into a bun. Please send me mil history based hairstyles I can make happen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

sullat posted:

It's funny how youtube thinks that the next videos I want to watch are Nazi propaganda.

I got a referral to "in defense of Columbus" once. I'll feel bad if it was an actually good breakdown of the guy but being youtube it's probably not and I really don't want to give views to so many shitheads.

ughhhh posted:

I have very very long hair (down to my butt) atm and want to do something with it other than tie it into a bun. Please send me mil history based hairstyles I can make happen.

Whatever you do, post the results.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ughhhh posted:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

My top recommendation was a video titled "Native American Genocide was a Myth!" and I hate everyone that it exists.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Don Gato posted:

My top recommendation was a video titled "Native American Genocide was a Myth!" and I hate everyone that it exists.

Yeah, this poo poo is what I want to avoid giving views to.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Oh, and for those interested in non-Hollywood productions the Talvisota (Winter War) miniseries appears to be in Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPBv8qFtzC8
There is a also a movie version but the miniseries is said to be better. It's Finnish, from the 1980/90's and its about the men from an Ostrobotnian village, particularily about two brothers who are called up at the start of the Winter War. It's rather different form the typical action movie, but the battle scenes are quite brutal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't really understand these improved saber protection strategies made out of your hair or your coat or whatever. If being protected from sabers is something you actually need, why not wear actual armour? Presumably made of of thin metal to save weight, but still a lot better than cloth/hair.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't really understand these improved saber protection strategies made out of your hair or your coat or whatever. If being protected from sabers is something you actually need, why not wear actual armour? Presumably made of of thin metal to save weight, but still a lot better than cloth/hair.

Armor is heavy, bulky and awkward to store and handle, needs cleaning and maintenance, restricts movement, and costs money. Hair grows out of your head.

They're also not, to my understanding, putting any great reliance at all on the protective value of the braids. It's more, you've already got hair and already need to wear clothes for weather protection if nothing else, may as well do so in a style that could give you a lucky escape from a glancing blow.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 21, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Armor is heavy, bulky and awkward to store and handle, needs cleaning and maintenance, restricts movement, and costs money. Hair grows out of your head.

But well constructed armour will be less heavy, less bulky etc for a given level of protection than an improvised substitute.

Siivola posted:

Who's going to pay for this well-constructed armour?
The same as previous eras I assume? If you're very lucky your army issues it, if you're an aristocrat you buy it with your personal wealth, if you're neither you hope the army sacks a town soon so you can loot.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 21, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Siivola posted:

And really, being a hussar is life in the fast lane so who wants to get old? Get your STDs in, your babies out, and eat a sabre to the neck like a champ

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The Lone Badger posted:

But well constructed armour will be less heavy, less bulky etc for a given level of protection than an improvised substitute.

The same as previous eras I assume? If you're very lucky your army issues it, if you're an aristocrat you buy it with your personal wealth, if you're neither you hope the army sacks a town soon so you can loot.

Genuinely v. curious what you imagine ‘well constructed armor’ that weighs less than the greatcoat you already carry for when it rains and the hair that is already growing out of your head might look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Look at the tanks with sandbags and tree trunks mounted on them as dubiously effective improvised armour. Same principle.