Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

I picked ES2 up a couple of weeks ago and I’m really enjoying it. The last 4X game I liked this much was SMAC. The learning curve makes for a pretty fun game, especially since the default difficulty gives you room to make mistakes as you figure out mechanics.

The only disappointment for me has been the Wonders-the bonuses are cool, but there are relatively few of them and they are not game-breaking the way they were in SMAC.

I’m definitely excited that espionage is going to be added in. With the next DLC. Hopefully I can play MP with you guys sometime soon.

What’s the difference between amplitude and games2gether?

Amplitude is the studio and games2gether is the system they set up to solicit feedback from players. Amplitude tries to include player ideas in their games more than most studios do, with varying results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

uber_stoat posted:

Amplitude is the studio and games2gether is the system they set up to solicit feedback from players. Amplitude tries to include player ideas in their games more than most studios do, with varying results.

Most notably they hold contests where players submit designs and then the community to vote on their favorite the winners are adapted into major factions. The Cult in EL and Unfallen in ES2 are both the results of these community design contests.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Both are really cool ones unlike the glados portal reference character in es1

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
People also fixate on the GLadOS reference that one time despite other ideas coming through and being real cool. People gonna people.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do citadels count against the behemoth limit?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Do citadels count against the behemoth limit?

Yes. Try and keep one on your homeworld, I noticed that the AI prefers to hit it with space nukes above all.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Flipswitch posted:

Both are really cool ones unlike the glados portal reference character in es1

For someone who didn't play ES1 what was the portal reference character?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

For someone who didn't play ES1 what was the portal reference character?

You could literally find a copyright dodging GladOS AI hero.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

People also fixate on the GLadOS reference that one time despite other ideas coming through and being real cool. People gonna people.

I wasn't around for the GLadOS character, but the original description for the Unfallen abilities and background in ES2 was a bunch of beat-the-reader-over-the-head with weed references straight out of Mad Magazine.

Then again, the Cult was also player-designed IIRC, and they're the coolest and most original faction in any of the games IMO.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m in the endgame for my first play through and I feel like I am starting to get a handle on unit design. The variety and use cases of units are much less than in SMAC, but I suppose it suits the design better.

A few questions:

Economic behemoths-are these meant to visit un-colonized systems, shoot mining probes and move on? What other uses do they have?

Do more units sieging a system drop the manpower of it faster?

Can you build all of the citadel based improvements in a system once you’ve deployed it, or just one?

How many trading companies can I found? Can I absorb other trading companies from conquered systems?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

I’m in the endgame for my first play through and I feel like I am starting to get a handle on unit design. The variety and use cases of units are much less than in SMAC, but I suppose it suits the design better.

A few questions:

Economic behemoths-are these meant to visit un-colonized systems, shoot mining probes and move on? What other uses do they have?

Can you build all of the citadel based improvements in a system once you’ve deployed it, or just one?

How many trading companies can I found? Can I absorb other trading companies from conquered systems?
The economy ones can also just straight up increase fids by hovering over systems with certain modules. I think 10% per one? I like to have those in tall empires for example or a few to really make new Craver systems go crazy and spur forward my development.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

Yes, but if you want to siege a system quickly, the important part is the number of siege modules on those ships. The usual approach is to design support ships with nothing but siege modules and fleet-speed-increasing modules and to have a fleet of those follow your main fleet around.

El_Elegante posted:

The cap is three (four for the Lumeris and custom factions with the right trait). You have to build the headquarters yourself: captured HQs and subsidiaries are destroyed.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

El_Elegante posted:

Depending on the modules, they can also terraform planets, rebuild planets that have been destroyed, and fix Depletion of planets that have been messed up by Cravers or mining probes. (The FIDSI boosting module is called the Regional Bureau btw, it's amazing to stack.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what kind of major changes they've made to ES2? I played it a bit when it came out and decided I wanted to give it a while for expansions and stuff to come out before getting more into it, and now that Vaulters and Hissho are in it seems like a good time to start playing again.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what kind of major changes they've made to ES2? I played it a bit when it came out and decided I wanted to give it a while for expansions and stuff to come out before getting more into it, and now that Vaulters and Hissho are in it seems like a good time to start playing again.

Supremacy (The Hissho expansion) adds Behemoths, massive ships you can use to bolster your economy, fortify systems, or with a fourth quadrant military tech be turned into nightmare machines that fire missiles that sail across the map and eradicate entire systems at once unless they have particular defenses. The Hissho themselves build excellent tall empries, especially with the help of economic behemoths.

The Vaulters expansion adds pirates as a pseudo faction - you can cozy up to them and buy pirate marks to make them go shank the people you hate or just kill their bases for loot. Vaulters are another tall-build focused faction with portals to allow instantly teleportation between their colonies. They also added boarding in this particular update (which the Vaulters specialize in)

In free updates they added fighters, bombers, more diplomatic stuff, and smoothed a lot of rough edges. The Umbral Choir expansion, focused on espionage and a new espionage faction, is expected either late this year or next year. There's also a few tiny DLCs like the Lost Tales (which adds a bunch of minor faction quests) and the Harmony one that mostly adds music (but also the Harmony as a minor faction)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Coming to ES2 from EL has me wondering about the differences in equipment upgrades. EL passively techs you up through research eras, ES2 requires the mil tree specifically advance.

I guess part of it's to do with government factions - you need to play to the militarists somehow to tech up, even if it's just on defense.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You'll want to go into the military tree mostly to pick up the "increase fleet size" techs, which can take you to a total of 24 IIRC. To unlock higher poo poo to access said techs, I usually take fillers that take a resource I have a lot of to build. i.e. if I have tons of titanium I'll take the upgraded armour and missiles.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Big Data Dock and O2 Transport 4 lyfe. Left side of that tech tree to start. gently caress a garrison building that early, if Im gettin invaded itll have by the time I can research the better planet defense building.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I honestly don't get the tech tree in ES2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I approach the tech tree from an exploratory direction for now. Most of the time there's something I want to do, like colonize a planet or tamp down an anomaly or make more of one of FIDSI, and I address that through the tech tree. EL made sure I wasn't "falling behind" militarily while I did that, at least from a unit tech perspective. ES2 it feels more like I have to take a break every now and then to make sure I don't get casually exploded.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Only a coward researches military tech before war has been declared.

On a completely different note, the spy faction in the upcoming ES2 expansion was hinted to be another super-tall faction, taking inspiration from the Cultists from EL. So that should be fun.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Glazius posted:

I approach the tech tree from an exploratory direction for now. Most of the time there's something I want to do, like colonize a planet or tamp down an anomaly or make more of one of FIDSI, and I address that through the tech tree. EL made sure I wasn't "falling behind" militarily while I did that, at least from a unit tech perspective. ES2 it feels more like I have to take a break every now and then to make sure I don't get casually exploded.

I only just started and haven't done a lot, but at the very least the 'regular' (i.e. no strategic resource cost) modules aren't a terribly large step down from the good stuff, so as long as you put some research into the Military tree every now and then you'll be fine. An exp tech, command points, some garrison techs and tanks is minimum to hit the higher tech stages really. Keep weapons and defenses more or less up to date (I think Beams and a few Kinetics for flak are still the meta? That's what i've read anyway) and you're all good.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My friends and I are going to be getting together for some multiplayer Endless Legend this weekend. Any suggestions on settings/maps/whatever?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Clarste posted:

another super-tall faction

oh

"good"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

I don't have Supremacy yet; do you think there's an issue with too many tall factions in ES 2?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally I think the base game mechanics encourage you to expand as far as your happiness will allow at all times. So I don't mind having more than a few factions designed to discourage that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LeSquide posted:

I don't have Supremacy yet; do you think there's an issue with too many tall factions in ES 2?

There's the Hissho and

uh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vaulters have a little more trouble expanding than most other factions, but they still benefit from expanding as much as possible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And their gates let them defend their border much more effectively than anyone else, so they have one less problem with going wide than anyone else.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Clarste posted:

Personally I think the base game mechanics encourage you to expand as far as your happiness will allow at all times. So I don't mind having more than a few factions designed to discourage that.

That was my experience; I was wondering if I was missing something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Even then, the Hissho are still extremely good at going wide, it's just that they do it by murdering people instead of colonizing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just don't like tall factions; i like a nice sprawling empire

one mechanic that was interesting was in Fall from Heaven, a civ4 mod - one of the civilisations could only have a certain number of big cities, but they could be big, as they could generate way more resources. the rest of their cities were locked at 1 population.

i quite like the idea of a mixture of tall and wide in the same EL2 race

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

one mechanic that was interesting was in Fall from Heaven, a civ4 mod - one of the civilisations could only have a certain number of big cities, but they could be big, as they could generate way more resources. the rest of their cities were locked at 1 population.

this sounds a lot like cultists

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

i just don't like tall factions; i like a nice sprawling empire

Hah, Kuriotates. But I always was a Khazad man, because dwarves are for the dwarves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dev Blog on the new ES2 faction. Incidentally, the bit about them being Tall came from the first part of this dev blog series. Anyway, the most relevant part is probably this:

Amplitude posted:

Vision 1: The Hidden Approach (Umbral Choir's Ghillie Suits)

The hidden approach is about playing as tall as possible, kind of like Endless Legend's Cultists. To achieve this, it uses features like:
  • Population merging, allowing the Umbral Choir to keep "growing" while remaining withing the confines of a set system
  • This set system is their unique system, hidden from the rest of the galaxy. In case of emergency, this system can be evacuated
  • The faction relies on a mix of "haunts" (all names between brackets are placeholders), which are systems secretly settled by the Umbral Choir but appear empty, and "traitors" that siphon resources off of the systems they have infiltrated

Amplitude posted:

Vision 1: Hide-&-Seek Superchampions

Pros:
  • Great non-military approach for the faction (no need to expand!)
  • Strong asymmetry

Cons:
  • Gameplay: Risk of rather passive gameplay overall

Amplitude posted:

The next step was to tackle the identified problems: how do you make a hidden faction confront others and hold territory on the map? The answer came naturally with the feature we’ve chosen for spying, and that we hope you’ll like. We can’t give away too much, but we can at least let you know it will mainly take place in the scan view. It’s totally possibe that the UC’s territory will be more prominent in scan view than in galaxy view… but we still have a lot of work and testing to do before we can tell you that for sure.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 22, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
This sounds almost painfully cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

this sounds a lot like cultists

agreed, the race that has one city, sounds like the race that has multiple cities

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, Kuriotates. But I always was a Khazad man, because dwarves are for the dwarves.

sidar were my faves

hope u like great people becuase you ain't getting any normal people!!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sidar were my faves

hope u like great people becuase you ain't getting any normal people!!!

Nothing beats Ljosalfar tree economy.

A hidden home system sounds dope, I just hope the espionage system is halfway decent.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Amplitude are so loving cool you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Amplitude are so loving cool you guys

Yea, this. I like how they are always trying to do something different and new. They could have just put spies in and let you steal a tech every X turns, but it never is with these guys.