Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh my god how long has this baby couerl been in my inventory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Safeword posted:

Oh my god how long has this baby couerl been in my inventory

There's a couple of earlyish side quests in aleport that give you that and a baby wolf pup.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My favourite little detail in Suzaku Ex: every time she does her push/pull she plays her flute and you can hear it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I don't understand Ascian physiology.

They can have children? Or was that a host body?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

The Doomhammer posted:

There's a couple of earlyish side quests in aleport that give you that and a baby wolf pup.

I'm so used to not looting anything I don't rally check my items. Should probably do so more often!

And I'm eager to start reading all these spoilers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ither posted:

I don't understand Ascian physiology.

They can have children? Or was that a host body?
They're all rear end in a top hat, baby!

I assume that if you can send a body from point A to point B through complete translation into aether - which is what you do whenever you hit Teleport, and which I think even normies who aren't super Saiyans like you can manage once in a while - it is possible to create a body at point B out of pure aether. It is plausible that the body was possessed for most of the old emperor's lifetime, of course. Whether or not a body can get its gently caress on successfully seems like a question for Yoshi-P.

Man, though, all this poo poo calls a lot of things into question. What if primal summoning just blows through crystals and isn't actually some kind of massive threat (beyond the obvious risk of mind controlling super-monsters, which is plenty)?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I love how self-aware Elidibus is: "Have you considered just killing the WoL dead with excessive amounts of violence? I've cleared up your domestic political troubles and added my considerable power as an unkillable millenia old ghost wizard to this enhanced supersoldier zombie corpse. maybe you should get to killing him/her before 5.0 releases and (s)he hits level cap again?"

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Algid posted:

I love how self-aware Elidibus is: "Have you considered just killing the WoL dead with excessive amounts of violence?"

At this point everyone should know a plan that relies on killing the WoL is a bad plan.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's only a bad plan if it doesn't involve drinking something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mean, Omega muses that it should have just spammed raidwides and tankbusters until you died.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Algid posted:

I love how self-aware Elidibus is: "Have you considered just killing the WoL dead with excessive amounts of violence? I've cleared up your domestic political troubles and added my considerable power as an unkillable millenia old ghost wizard to this enhanced supersoldier zombie corpse. maybe you should get to killing him/her before 5.0 releases and (s)he hits level cap again?"

I mean, it's pretty obvious this is where the plot is going. The WoL is going to get pummeled to the brink of death and purple voice will zap their soul off to Abyssea or wherever before Eli can land a killing blow. Or maybe they actually do die, and then mysteriously come back and everyone goes to great lengths to not think about why. Spoiler : the latter means that you're a primal now.

This ties into why Stormblood is so completely unfulfilling as a story. It's basically inverted Heavensward, where everything was terrible and stayed terrible until like the 3.4 patch when Stormblood started spinning up and the Ishgard plot lines were mostly dropped. SB is apparently going to follow the track where everything starts off terrible, you fix it, then you get to watch everything you did (both as a character and as a player) burn as an immortal god-wizard beats you to death.

One of these plot arcs is satisfying and gives the writers time to set up the next arc, one of them makes the writers look like low rent Grr, Martin wannabes.

on that note, their foreshadowing addiction makes it really obvious where the plot line is going once you filter the noise from eight million other hanging plot threads out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah sb is good

e: lol at calling a story that isn't finished unfullfilling based on what you assume will happen in the future, though

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Arist posted:

nah sb is good

:emptyquote:

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Suzaku EX is good and fun, and we somehow got two doggo drops in a row last night.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
SB is good, but needs more Lyse being an adorable dork and punching things. My thoughts at the end of 4.4:

"This is bullshit, why doesn't Lyse get to hear the voice? She's still basically a Scion. Have her be part of important stuff again!"

*5 minutes later*

"Oh. Never mind."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I mean, it's pretty obvious this is where the plot is going. The WoL is going to get pummeled to the brink of death and purple voice will zap their soul off to Abyssea or wherever before Eli can land a killing blow. Or maybe they actually do die, and then mysteriously come back and everyone goes to great lengths to not think about why. Spoiler : the latter means that you're a primal now.

Speculation: Well, killing off the PC half-way through an MMO's life cycle would be a pretty bold move, but not actually unthinkable from the company that said "let's blow up this entire published game and rebuild it from the ground up". I don't think it will actually come to that but if it does I'd be really interested to see how they handle it.

Maybe primalizing the WoL would be used as a story reason to add some sort of alternate advancement system in 5.0 :v:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Thundarr posted:

Speculation: Well, killing off the PC half-way through an MMO's life cycle would be a pretty bold move, but not actually unthinkable from the company that said "let's blow up this entire published game and rebuild it from the ground up". I don't think it will actually come to that but if it does I'd be really interested to see how they handle it.

Maybe primalizing the WoL would be used as a story reason to add some sort of alternate advancement system in 5.0 :v:

I mean, if they killed WoL, it'd only last for a cutscene or two. Probably one of those "hey you might want to make a sandwich before starting this cutscene" ones.

The fun part is that they could do a throwback to the opening of ARR. WoL wasn't dead at that point, but there's enough of a parallel.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Chicken Normal is a fun fight, even if I can tell Extreme is going to have way too much movement for my wizardly tastes. Time to clutch Triplecast close and never let go. :shepface:

Also one of my friends is obesses with "rescuing" people into the center of the toilet and I'm just waiting for karma to wheel around and smack her upside the head.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, this is what I settled on too, they come out so quickly there's not enough time to first figure out the starboard/larboard thing and then flip it because he spun. Honestly I think its a pretty lovely trick by Koji, because you're already playing the "which way is he facing" game, you don't need to bring a vocabulary test into it as well.

This one actually isn't Koji's fault (other than using larboard instead of port). The Japanese also uses nautical terms it's just that their terms are basically leftward/rightward. So blame English sailors for being obtuse.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

Chicken Normal is a fun fight, even if I can tell Extreme is going to have way too much movement for my wizardly tastes. Time to clutch Triplecast close and never let go. :shepface:

Also one of my friends is obesses with "rescuing" people into the center of the toilet and I'm just waiting for karma to wheel around and smack her upside the head.

I hadn't fallen off at all until the tenth clear of extreme when I stupidly hit plunge during the Suzaku says phase and went straight into the donut hole.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This ties into why Stormblood is so completely unfulfilling as a story. It's basically inverted Heavensward, where everything was terrible and stayed terrible until like the 3.4 patch when Stormblood started spinning up and the Ishgard plot lines were mostly dropped. SB is apparently going to follow the track where everything starts off terrible, you fix it, then you get to watch everything you did (both as a character and as a player) burn as an immortal god-wizard beats you to death.

One of these plot arcs is satisfying and gives the writers time to set up the next arc, one of them makes the writers look like low rent Grr, Martin wannabes.

on that note, their foreshadowing addiction makes it really obvious where the plot line is going once you filter the noise from eight million other hanging plot threads out.

I've been thinking about the WoL as primal since about 3.0 and I still want them to do something along those lines. Thordan's "what ARE you" exclamation when he died had me thinking that maybe the WoL was just someone the entire population wished into being out of a collective, desperate desire for a hero. If the WoD warrior guy was basically our equivalent from another world, it makes sense that he's the Trailer Guy because that's what everyone thinks the WoL looks like!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Algid posted:

What happened to being a peaceful emissary? :argh:

Azubah posted:

It's only a bad plan if it doesn't involve drinking something.

Omega almost managed it at the end of Sigmascape.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"WoL is a primal" would be a terrible plot twist and I hope they never do it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We summoned a primal and it immediately hosed off and made 200 bronze ingots and 50 bronze pliers and then chopped down every tree in existence.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What happened to being a peaceful emissary? :argh:

He just forgot to add "until you've served your purpose by pumping enough light into the world that we won't accidentally Void it."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

"WoL is a primal" would be a terrible plot twist and I hope they never do it.

I think there are elements of that sort of twist that can work. Belief has demonstrable power in Eorzea, mostly related to what people believe about primals. If they eventually confirm that part of the reason the WoL is so uniquely powerful is because more and more people believe in them and that belief is empowering them just like it does a primal, I think that'd be kind of neat. But "WoL has always been a literal primal" would be really weird.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 21, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
You may have to fight a Primal version of yourself at some point but I doubt they'll ever do a reveal of "You, the character, were a Primal all along".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

You may have to fight a Primal version of yourself at some point but I doubt they'll ever do a reveal of "You, the character, were a Primal all along".

I could maybe see like "you, the player character, have become a Primal" being a thing. Or maybe just "you've become something like a Primal." But I kind of doubt they'd go there, if only because of what being a Primal really means. Primals aren't really independent beings the way a player character needs to be--they reflect the beliefs, emotions, etc. of those who summon them, like when a frightened kobold child summoned Titan and got a terrified child-like Titan out of it. You can't really do that to a player character, like "turns out you were never your own person all along" or something.

The idea of fighting a Primal version of yourself sounds pretty rad, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You tempered all of the leaders of the city states, so they all have to be killed and finally fully automated luxury space communism will thrive in Eorzea.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Given how obsessed this game is with providing in-universe explanations for every tiny game mechanic (aoe markers are the echo, wipes are just bad futures you saw, re-entering old dungeons is just you reliving memories, Savage mode is an alternate retelling of the fight, etc), it's not too far-fetched that they would introduce an in-universe explanation of Player Character exceptionalism.

TooManyUzukis fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 21, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

unseenlibrarian posted:

Y'shtola at a minimum would have noticed by now if that was the case, and she wouldn't be shy about making an issue out of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TooManyUzukis posted:

Given how obsessed this game is with providing in-universe explanations for every tiny game mechanic (aoe markers are the echo, wipes are just bad futures you saw, re entering old dungeons is just you reliving memories, Savage mode is an alternate retelling if the fight, etc), it's not too far-fetched that they would introduce an in-universe explanation of Player Character exceptionalism.

Didn't they already do that the Blessing of Light? It made you special, then Midgardsormr took it away to see if you were worthy of it on your own, and you were, so now you have it back.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
I'm not a primal, honest, I just do a lot of squats

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
More and more folks worship the WoL. Why? She's been working on her gains, bro

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
The WoL is a Primal twist only works if they go full Panzer Dragoon Saga. As in, the player themself is a divine visitor empowering and animating what would otherwise be a lifeless husk. Which would actually work incredibly well in the context of a subscription MMO, but I doubt they go for that level of meta commentary.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I used to really like the WoL as Primal idea but not so much anymore. A big theme in ffxiv is the power of humanity (well, mortals I guess) and their seemingly impossible ability to rally when all hope seems lost, and turning the player character into something else entirely means some of that is lost from then on whenever the WoL steps up to fight gods.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about Bahamut or Middy?

We tried with Midgardsormr, nothing happened. Didn't try Bahamut, though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We summoned a primal and now it just sits at the marketboard rapidly changing through a series of different clothes impossibly fast, all day every day.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Saigyouji posted:

He just forgot to add "until you've served your purpose by pumping enough light into the world that we won't accidentally Void it."

Yeah I think he's basically decided we're winning too hard at this point. Why he decides to kill us instead of calmly sitting down and explaining the situation is beyond me though. Maybe he was relying on Urianger to pass it on.

I'm assuming he's panicking because something Really Bad happens if the Source falls to light or darkness. Or maybe he's just trying to equalise Hydaelyn's power level with Zodiark's? Or just stop her from getting powerful enough to predominate Zodiark, because Zodiark predominating is Elidibus' goal all along and all his talk of balance is just waffle to get people to let him spread darkness and keep Hydaelyn 'Alive, But Crippled' for easy pickings when she and Zodiark combine again. :tinfoil:

At any rate, I gather the state of the reflection worlds doesn't matter beyond ones that fall not being able to be used for Rejoinings, but the state of the Source does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Countblanc posted:

I used to really like the WoL as Primal idea but not so much anymore. A big theme in ffxiv is the power of humanity (well, mortals I guess) and their seemingly impossible ability to rally when all hope seems lost, and turning the player character into something else entirely means some of that is lost from then on whenever the WoL steps up to fight gods.

"Primal WoL as the Final Boss" would still work in this context as a rejection of our power in favor of our humanity. But you have a point that running around as an actual primal would undermine a lot of the core themes of the game if you end up keeping that power.

Also this is a JRPG, anybody who becomes a god is going to end up as a boss fight just as a matter of genre convention.