Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Here’s a dumb WIP list of bad representations of metal (real or fake) in film. I thought about the really bad concert scene from 2016 Ghostbusters while writing this.
False Metal In Film

Having Tenacious D in this list seems a bit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I Before E posted:

The Metallica pick is perfect tho

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

...yeah, what? Tenacious D literally has Dio in it

e: also what the gently caress at Phenomena being on that list!?!? who in their right loving mind considers Maiden false?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Honestly, half my picks are just legit good bands being used in weird, out of touch ways. The name's probably a little misleading.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't seen it, but how about Hesher with JGL?

Not really metal, but I always thought Alice Cooper and Aerosmith were really lame choices of bands for Wayne and Garth to pine over.
They didn't seem to fit in with their interests and the soundtrack elsewhere in the movies.

edit: Cooper was pretty funny, though, so I don't actually mind.

The most authentic uses of metal are in Cremaster 2 and 3.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 15, 2018

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Comedy option: add Lords of Chaos

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was already there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not really metal, but I always thought Alice Cooper and Aerosmith were really lame choices of bands for Wayne and Garth to pine over.
They didn't seem to fit in with their interests and the soundtrack elsewhere in the movies.

edit: Cooper was pretty funny, though, so I don't actually mind.

Gotta consider that in the 70's they were the coolest. Alice Cooper was considered to be a truly dangerous performer before he became a chill radio DJ/restaurant owner. And Aerosmith used to have Rolling Stones level of sex appeal. By the early 90's they were hitting middle age, yeah, but when Wayne and Garth were growing up these dudes were living legends.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea for a 90's kid who's first real exposure to Aerosmith was the Armageddon soundtrack, it's hard to see them the same way Wayne and Garth do.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea for a 90's kid who's first real exposure to Aerosmith was the Armageddon soundtrack, it's hard to see them the same way Wayne and Garth do.

Yup. Even in my classic rock phase I was never big on them, but I get that there was a time where they were kings. Also Wayne's World rules; both movies. No one knock Wayne's World.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can’t remember the last time I watched either WW from start to finish, but if I see either of them on tv I’m flipping it there and watching through to the end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Gotta consider that in the 70's they were the coolest. Alice Cooper was considered to be a truly dangerous performer before he became a chill radio DJ/restaurant owner.

I know, but these are still characters who were teens through the 80's, and it's not like their tastes were otherwise totally antiquated or ignorant of any developments since their childhoods. I think they'd be pretty unimpressed by them by the early to mid 90's.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 20, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

TrixRabbi posted:

To be fair they're in that movie because Jim Carrey is a huge fan and lobbied to have them.

And yet on his Arsenio Hall interview, he misidentified them as Napalm Death.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

K. Waste posted:

And yet on his Arsenio Hall interview, he misidentified them as Napalm Death.

Was he not referring to Napalm Death? I've always just assumed he was interested in several different death/grindcore bands.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Was he not referring to Napalm Death? I've always just assumed he was interested in several different death/grindcore bands.

That could have been it. In context it came off different, but I probably misread.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Honestly, half my picks are just legit good bands being used in weird, out of touch ways. The name's probably a little misleading.

Just call it, like, "A Survey in Metalsploitation" or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

a retrospective on metal in cinema

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Up until around "Done With Mirrors" they were like the Stones and their music was all grimy rock swagger. Then they cashed out in a BIG way (*) and since then they've basically been a cover band for professional songwriters. It's actually really weird if you remember the original incarnation of the band, even though it's the same people.

They didn't always suck.

It's probably hard to understand (believe?) unless you witnessed it personally. I think their late career trajectory is a surreal pop culture oddity that people don't talk about much for some reason.

(*) there were a whole bunch of factors that made this happen, such as the main songwriters (Perry/Tyler) getting mostly clean as to prevent dying, the fact that Perry left the band for a while mostly unsuccessfully and sort of hated Tyler and I'd imagine a bunch of provisos from their label about if they'd even have a career and not flame out like so many contemporaries playing the same sort of music they were previously did

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There was also the Walk This Way collaboration with Run DMC, which was such a big deal for the resurgence of Aerosmith that it permanently changed their career trajectory.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

There was also the Walk This Way collaboration with Run DMC, which was such a big deal for the resurgence of Aerosmith that it permanently changed their career trajectory.

I was very surprised to learn this back when, I'd always thought they were a relatively new band, not that they formed a couple years after the fuckin Beatles.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The weirdest thing is Aerosmith's last album of new material came out in loving 2012.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The other bit of Aerosmith trivia that is amusing in a schaedenfreude sort of way is that after Joe Perry left the band in a bitter fashion he formed a new band called "The Joe Perry Project".

The first single from The Joe Perry Project was called "Let The Music Do The Talking". It was a good song. Not quite as good as Aerosmith though.

4 years later and a few solo projects later, Perry rejoins Aerosmith and the first single for the band was a re-recorded version of "Let The Music Do The Talking" which promptly became (to that date) Aerosmith's biggest charting single.

So much for solo careers I guess.

(this was also the last album where Aerosmith was a "real" band too - after this one it was mostly collaborations with hitmen songwriters, especially for singles)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

The weirdest thing is Aerosmith's last album of new material came out in loving 2012.

If you dig somewhat there are a lot of bands that had lesser-known days. My favorite might be late 1960s Judas Priest during its blues era:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pantera's glam rock era:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TrixRabbi posted:

I'll never ever ever forget that either this album or the one before it is called "Honkin' on Bobo."

Early Aerosmith is good. Toys in the Attic slaps. Their downturn started right around when he started lusting after his own daughter in music videos.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't Alice Bishop one of the biggest reviewers on the site? I noticed she changed her avatar, and clicked her profile to see it, and it seems like she's almost entirely wiped her presence.
https://letterboxd.com/alicebishop/
Her review blog's down too.

I suppose it's no big deal, but I got used to seeing her have top review on most things.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 12, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wasn't Alice Bishop one of the biggest reviewers on the site? I noticed she changed her avatar, and clicked her profile to see it, and it seems like she's almost entirely wiped her presence.

I suppose it's no big deal, but I got used to seeing her have top review on most things.

If she was, it’s news to me. Alice Stoehr’s name I’ve seen come up a lot, but I have no idea who this is. I tend not to look at the most popular reviews, though.

It is a bummer sometimes when people leave. Occasionally I’ll click on somebody’s profile from I review I liked thinking I might want to follow them, only to find that they’ve been inactive for years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I am not loving this new font.

old look:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 2, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I really hate it. It looks dated to me. Was that font used a lot in the late Nineties/Aughts?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've noticed several websites moving to fatter, bolder fonts recently. Letterboxd, Gmail, maybe Netflix too?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They've also tweaked the favicon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Weird and not very important question, but is there a way to remove a film from your 'watched films' list without deleting your review for said film? I posted some information on an old film which I believe to be a duplicate entry, but now I can't get rid of it.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid. I just realised that Letterboxd has a report function for duplicate entries.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 15, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Teenage Fansub posted:

Good, those annoying white noise single sentence unfunny reviewers clog up the site with poo poo.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

JebanyPedal posted:

Good, those annoying white noise single sentence unfunny reviewers clog up the site with poo poo.

I appreciate a one liner as much as anyone, but some of these joke reviews have had spoilers and junk in them which when I go in to check out a new release's cast and stuff before seeing it really bums me out :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't remember her being like that :shrug:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JebanyPedal posted:

Glad it’s not just me. I’ve basically stopped clicking the reviews tab because for every thoughtful write-up, there’s 15 “LITERALLY SCREAMING” reviews.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I appreciate a one liner as much as anyone, but some of these joke reviews have had spoilers and junk in them which when I go in to check out a new release's cast and stuff before seeing it really bums me out :(

They're all poo poo. But, you're probably safer going to IMDB for that stuff, anyway. That's what I do, at least.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah, Letterboxd is a great site, but it's full of so much no-effort junk that inexplicably gets voted to the top. 3 of my top 4 movies feature one sentence reviews that tell you nothing about the film, all from the same person. And god help you if you want to find lists of similar movies, because 90% of the "Popular Lists" for any given movie are 1000+ film lists sorted by poster color or literally just lists of every movie ever made.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

JebanyPedal posted:

Honestly, they're pretty easy to ignore after a certain point. The ones that get me are the ones that look like they're multiple paragraphs so you think "Oh, they actually thought about some stuff" but it turns out to just be a list of things that happen in the movie.

Also, any YouTubers on the site are garbage.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, Letterboxd is a great site, but it's full of so much no-effort junk that inexplicably gets voted to the top. 3 of my top 4 movies feature one sentence reviews that tell you nothing about the film, all from the same person. And god help you if you want to find lists of similar movies, because 90% of the "Popular Lists" for any given movie are 1000+ film lists sorted by poster color or literally just lists of every movie ever made.

The most baffling list I've seen is "Every horror movie ever made". So much time and effort must have gone into it, yet it's 100% pointless because anyone can just go to Films and filter to horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lester Shy posted:

because 90% of the "Popular Lists" for any given movie are 1000+ film lists sorted by poster color or literally just lists of every movie ever made.

THANK YOU. Those super huge lists are useful for the 5 approximate seconds where you wonder "Hey, I wonder what percentage of coming-of-age movies have I seen?" and that's about it. Lists is genuinely one of my favorite features, but it's severely let down by the main page for it being

1. a set of 3 lists at the top that barely moves
2. a set of picked lists at the side that never moves
3. a bunch of lists literally just created by people that have 2 movies in them and aren't interesting at all

There's some really cool and fun stuff if you dig for it, at least.