Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Red Red Blue posted:

Yeah I have to imagine whatever Troy Baker would cost at this point is way more than they're willing to spend on a remaster of what is still a pretty niche game. I don't think it's being cheap, though, more realistic

According to his twitter, he was never asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to JRPG dubbing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Reminds me of Oblivion

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gaaahhhhh patty's voice

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ffaTv4ajg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bamco's probably cheaping the gently caress out a bit on localizing the new content

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the show is like a billion years old, eventually every joke like this is gonna be true so i dont really think you can call it a prediction

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, no one would be mad if they got Matt Mercer to do the new lines

Yuri’s new voice is just jarring as gently caress

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

the show is like a billion years old, eventually every joke like this is gonna be true so i dont really think you can call it a prediction

also its not true

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
yikes

also maybe next time when demo'ing your battle system you actually unlock the skills in advance rather than listening to a battery of HOWS THIS

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
CrossCode got a full release yesterday (I think?) on Steam. It is billed as an action RPG, but it seems like a rather fast-paced overhead action game with RPG elements.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/

Worth checking out, flew way under the radar and might be a GOTY candidate.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to go for the Simpsons segment making fun of voice actor changes and that one had better audio. Not making a comment on the Simpsons.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

JRPGs have gotten away with so much in terms of localization lately that I'm not surprised they said "eh gently caress it"

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

According to his twitter, he was never asked.

If they never even asked him and he wanted to do it, that's lame as hell by Bamco

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

CrossCode got a full release yesterday (I think?) on Steam. It is billed as an action RPG, but it seems like a rather fast-paced overhead action game with RPG elements.

How do I already own this game? I mean, I buy a lot of bundles, but I generally don't own things as soon as they come out, and I don't have the publisher's other game. What was it in that I bought without knowing it?

...well, I guess I'll install it and give it a shot, it looks Ys-like and I love those games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it was in early access for years.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crosscode has been early access for four years and was in at least one bundle during that time because that's when I got it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN3pB0lxF8

15 minutes of Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists footage

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Apparently he wanted to do the role and voice actors have taken less money for various reasons. So I’m a little skeptical

I believe SAG rules would possibly force Namco to redo all the voices with union VAs if they brought him back.

SAG are kind of assholes like that and also really arbitrary about enforcing that rule.

I'm glad the VAs got a union for better treatment but it's really hosed the localization of a lot of Japanese media.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

BabyRyoga posted:

it owns and is very good

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crosscode is good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apparently they didn't even bother redubbing with the new english VA so you got Troy Baker Yuri for the stuff he has already dubbed, then you stumble onto the new content and you get I think it's Grant George.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jFJ3pbCaZE

Atelier Nelke opening

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

This one was on my radar but it was always so expensive in Japan. I really wish we would have gotten the Vita version as well but oh well. I guess it's nice to have a dungeon crawler on the PS4.

It's on the PS4 too??

Funny, when I bought Coven yesterday for my Switch, I must have totally missed that.

Anyway, I like to have some portable Dungeon Crawlers, since I'm commuting by train a lot, so this game comming out for the Switch was a neat surprise.

The beginning with fantasy cyberspace was weird, but interesting. So far I like it, especially how customizable my little muppets are. More voices would be nice, though

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I want to get Coven but I haven't decided which platform yet. Looks like Switch may be the way to go for the portability.

Edit: never mind, it's not on Switch here until the 28th and it's almost $10 more expensive

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 22, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is adorable, but lol at them not actually drawing Nelke pratfalling so Shallie and Meruru are just reacting to nothing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crosscode is great but trying to work out the heights of different platforms gives me a headache sometimes. The mining town is a huge trip in that respect.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hey, Viese was in the opening. I thought they hated the atelier iris series.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
hosed up to show off lydie without suelle tied to her hip imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

I want to get Coven but I haven't decided which platform yet. Looks like Switch may be the way to go for the portability.

Edit: never mind, it's not on Switch here until the 28th and it's almost $10 more expensive

Try GameStop. Coven isn't supposed to be out here until the 30th, but my local GameStop didn't give a gently caress about this and had it lying around.

Or try digital, apparently the game was officially out on 21st already in Nintendo's E-Shop.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
also i've said it before but wow exploration and combat in nelke look real bad and stripped down

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm nearing the end of Atelier Ayesha (lol that the scene where she tearfully reunites with Nio has a conversation that boils down to "sis! you have tits now!"). Good game. It's a bit annoying that you can't build friendship with party members without actually using them in your party, considering that Linca and Wilbell are waaaaaay cooler than all the other losers (except Keith but he's a very late joiner and they're still a little better than him), but I'll see if I can't grind some friendship out in the last year

Are there any character arcs that run through all three Dusk games? It's been a long time since I played E&L and I might end up replaying it before playing Shallie if it'd work out better that way (thought I won't try to just polay two Atelier games in a row, that's a good way to bounce off of it)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I know Wilbell continues through the series and I think Linca does too.

Unfortunately it's been a bit since I played. I really hope we see a PC port of that trilogy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I remember Wilbell, Linca, and Marion all in E&L, and if they also appear in Shallie that's probably enough to convince me to replay it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wilbell is Green-haired Shallie's teacher.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Wilbell is in all of them, but I think she's the only one. There is a Linca in Shallie but it is a different, far less cool Linca

Keith comes back in Shallie too, but he mostly stands around and calls the Shallies idiots

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass has the potential to be an unsung classic but it has two major things holding it back, the difficulty curve and the main story conceit. You get a very generous and guilt-free Easy Mode that reduces enemy stats and increases rewards, and I am using the hell out of it because I want to one-shot stuff in my RPG's, but after the first major zone of the game enemies on Normal become huge brick walls so it's a choice between every encounter being a slog and you bulldozing everything effortlessly (unless you accidentally tackle a superboss or a bonus area way earlier than you should, which can happen). As for the story, the set dressing is fantastic - there's a huge amount of visual imagination and variety on display, the writing nails that Earthbound feel, and it whipsaws between amusingly whimsical and seriously creepy without feeling clumsy or overwrought, but it's clear from the start that this is all taking place in the 8-year old main character's mind, which sort of cripples the stakes and makes a lot of the stuff I'm seeing questionable. I had screaming nightmares at that age but there is some poo poo in here that no 8-year old could reasonably come up with.

The "all in your mind" thing is also making the ending to this story look real predictable and real cliche. It's almost certain that the titular Pulsating Mass - a seething infection of sapient flesh that corrupts everything good in Jimmy's world to be miserable and hateful - represents cancer. The only question is whether the sickness is Jimmy's grandmother's or Jimmy's own. Either way, it's a depressingly prosaic symbol considering how quirky and imaginative everything else about the game is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass has the potential to be an unsung classic but it has two major things holding it back, the difficulty curve and the main story conceit. You get a very generous and guilt-free Easy Mode that reduces enemy stats and increases rewards, and I am using the hell out of it because I want to one-shot stuff in my RPG's, but after the first major zone of the game enemies on Normal become huge brick walls so it's a choice between every encounter being a slog and you bulldozing everything effortlessly (unless you accidentally tackle a superboss or a bonus area way earlier than you should, which can happen). As for the story, the set dressing is fantastic - there's a huge amount of visual imagination and variety on display, the writing nails that Earthbound feel, and it whipsaws between amusingly whimsical and seriously creepy without feeling clumsy or overwrought, but it's clear from the start that this is all taking place in the 8-year old main character's mind, which sort of cripples the stakes and makes a lot of the stuff I'm seeing questionable. I had screaming nightmares at that age but there is some poo poo in here that no 8-year old could reasonably come up with.

The "all in your mind" thing is also making the ending to this story look real predictable and real cliche. It's almost certain that the titular Pulsating Mass - a seething infection of sapient flesh that corrupts everything good in Jimmy's world to be miserable and hateful - represents cancer. The only question is whether the sickness is Jimmy's grandmother's or Jimmy's own. Either way, it's a depressingly prosaic symbol considering how quirky and imaginative everything else about the game is.

If it helps, the game never breaks kayfabe even if your predictions are probably correct. So you can totally choose to ignore the subtext if you want.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, I'm not sure if this is an issue with any other versions of Labyrinth of Refrain, but in the PC version there's a huge stuttering issues. I figured out what's causing them though, it's the game struggling to load the voices. So, if you just go to the settings and turn the in-battle voices off, the stuttering totally stops!

e: also another fun part about this game: there are set item drops of set rarity, but modifiers are random. So, for example, there's a guaranteed Legendary armor drop in the first zone, that will have 90~ defense, which is insanely powerful. If you feel like savescumming though, you could possibly get an Imperial armor piece that is also Legendary quality, which has about five HUNDRED defense.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any character arcs that run through all three Dusk games? It's been a long time since I played E&L and I might end up replaying it before playing Shallie if it'd work out better that way (thought I won't try to just polay two Atelier games in a row, that's a good way to bounce off of it)

Harry appears in all of them. Otherwise just Wilbell gets character development across the three games by collecting spirits. Logy and Ayesha dump some lore in their added scenes for Shallie Plus that catch up with some other characters but that's it.

E: Also from the Nelke trailers it appears Firis and Viorate (Violet) are paired off for some comedic scenes. Viorate really likes carrots and Firis hates all vegetables.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 22, 2018