Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kruller posted:

What if part of the plan is raising more gods into a new pantheon of a 5th color? If 4 is the "most real", then 5 would be even better, right? We've got red, yellow, blue, purple, and formerly green, but there's no orange. Or if we go with the rainbow, indigo as well. That sorta fits with 7 books planned, all of which have a different color on them. Color Spray has 7 colors as well.

This providing the background and story hook for The Desaturating Seven. (A kids book about 7 goblins that suck the colors from rainbows. It got turned into a concept album this year by Primus.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main snag here is that the gods have to get along in order to successfully create a world and not just another Snarl. Right now, the Dark One probably isn't in the kind of mood where he can successfully complete a major engineering project with his least favorite people.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still don't trust the backstory we have about the Dark One. The conscious, willing decision of the gods to create a bunch of sentient, free-willed races as nothing but experience fodder for their clerics to level up on doesn't really square with the vibe I've been getting from Thor since we arrived here at the Graveyard of Worlds. I think there's way more to the story that the Dark One has left Redcloak in the dark about, and I get the feeling Thor's about to let the other boot drop.

On a related note... is this the first time we've seen the Dark One himself (or a representation of him, at least) appear in the actual online strip?

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Lol if they didn't design goblins with souls, so the dark one has no power if the world ends and they all die

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

W.T. Fits posted:

I still don't trust the backstory we have about the Dark One. The conscious, willing decision of the gods to create a bunch of sentient, free-willed races as nothing but experience fodder for their clerics to level up on doesn't really square with the vibe I've been getting from Thor since we arrived here at the Graveyard of Worlds. I think there's way more to the story that the Dark One has left Redcloak in the dark about, and I get the feeling Thor's about to let the other boot drop.

On a related note... is this the first time we've seen the Dark One himself (or a representation of him, at least) appear in the actual online strip?

Jirix's speech about his post-death, pre-resurrection experience included a crayon drawing of him.

Magnus Manfist posted:

Lol if they didn't design goblins with souls, so the dark one has no power if the world ends and they all die

That moment also shows that this isn't the case, unless Jirix made the whole thing up.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kruller posted:

What if part of the plan is raising more gods into a new pantheon of a 5th color? If 4 is the "most real", then 5 would be even better, right? We've got red, yellow, blue, purple, and formerly green, but there's no orange. Or if we go with the rainbow, indigo as well. That sorta fits with 7 books planned, all of which have a different color on them. Color Spray has 7 colors as well.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html

Hmm...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Oh man. Roy and the Oracle must be gods too!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

If you squint hard enough to make your head hurt, their names combine to make "cerulean".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

We know that Oracle cant be a god becourse every god with green essence was killed by Snarl, duh!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

The gods had been trying pretty much every possible permutation of world they could think of, so it seems totally reasonable that with this one they decided to make some trash mobs. It's a pretty simple concept to come up with when you make a world with inhabitants who need to constantly fight to gain personal worth. Thor may seem like a nice, caring guy, but Some of the other gods, not so much.

I wouldn't be surprised if Odin was on the same page as Thor, but of course he's not going to have the talk with Durkon, because Thor is Durkon's patron. You don't bogart your son's souls.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

is the dark one supposed to be purple.... or black?

because if we already have cyan, yellow, and magenta....

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well. The goes my theory that there have been thousands of Dark One-equivalents who died with their worlds. I guess being a pantheon of one really was a big, world-changing event.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't think Rich is going for a corny RGB or CMYK reference with this. The Mesopotamian pantheon's color is a red closer to orange than to magenta anyway.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So that must be what's different this time: this is the first time the Gods have created a species of intelligent (or at least soul-bearing) creatures that none of them claimed who managed to raise up their own gods. The Elves did in this world, but they're a PC race and are (presumably) divided up by the pantheons as per their regular standing agreement, and since most of them live in the West in the Elven Homelands, they joined that Pantheon out of protocol.

Instead, the Goblins live everywhere, explicitly scattered throughout the world for the PC races to kill, and they were explicitly created as quest fodder and no pantheon claims their souls when they died- before they managed to raise up their own god, the Dark One, who was unaffiliated with any pantheon by virtue of the fact that none of them claimed the Goblins. So the Dark One is unique to all the previous incarnations of the world.

Rich has been dangling the plot twist without even telling us what it is for: the goblins already are equal to the other races. What have we seen the PC races accomplishing that the goblins haven't? They built a good civilization in the mountains east of Azure City. We've seen goblins of most classes. They're disadvantaged but they're no longer limited as 'monsters'. Redcloak might even be... a PC.

I don't know yet why the plan isn't "blow up the world and remake it with 4 colors", but Rich will probably explain it to us.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well. The goes my theory that there have been thousands of Dark One-equivalents who died with their worlds. I guess being a pantheon of one really was a big, world-changing event.

Probably all previous new gods just naturally aligned with an existing pantheon.
Something like the dark one basically requires a a giant mass of mortals that are getting nothing out of the existing order of gods. Something like literal xp fodder that KNOW they're literal xp fodder, ONLY able to be the product of a barrel scraping self aware fantasy parody world.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Purple pantheon (nice alliteration there, Rich) is going to be the Dark One, the puppets and a certain sexy shoeless God of war.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Man, every single one of the most recently comics are just complete jaw-droppers. It's awesome.

There's gotta be more to this, though. Is this world the first time new gods have ever been raised from mortal ranks? Or do gods who were created from mortals end up dying when their world does? If the answer to both of those is no, you'd think the pantheons would be way bigger.

Also, the Dark One's whole story was never discussed in the comic proper, right? Just SoD? I remember the scene where Redcloak killed Tsukiko covered the most immediately plot-relevant stuff, so this next comic is probably going to be similar exposition about the Dark One. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how that story looks from Thor's point of view.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yes. Red, 'White'(usually coloured with a hint of yellow), Blue, 'Black'(Usually done as purply). Green's 'dead' for a certain value of dead, given it usually represents Nature.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't know yet why the plan isn't "blow up the world and remake it with 4 colors", but Rich will probably explain it to us.

My first guess on that is that the Dark One wouldn't be safe from the Snarl, as a newly-minted god in a pantheon of one. I'm not sure why exactly, but Thor presents the Dark One's existence as an opportunity the world is providing, rather than something that's already been achieved, which would be the case if the Dark One was sure to persist in future.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The conflict I expect is being presented is that, as a pantheon-of-one god created by mortals, rather than a (ex nihilio?) god that then creates mortals for sustenance, the Dark One is going to have an radically different viewpoint and set of priorities from the other gods.

Consider than the Dark One is literally a personification of the goblin people lamenting their lot given as provided by the other gods. There's a real chance that he's not going to be willing to play ball with the other pantheons under any circumstances.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

W.T. Fits posted:

I think he's shown up in one of the crayon drawings before, but it might have been in one of the prequel books. I don't think we've seen him in the present of the main strip yet.

Edit: He's on page 44 of Start of Darkness.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 22, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In crayon form, the Dark One appeared in 704 when Jirix talked about dying and speaking with the Dark One:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
There's also a picture of The Dark One in Redcloak's study (though it is sorta occluded by Tsukiko's speech bubble). http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0828.html

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

The conflict I expect is being presented is that, as a pantheon-of-one god created by mortals, rather than a (ex nihilio?) god that then creates mortals for sustenance, the Dark One is going to have an radically different viewpoint and set of priorities from the other gods.

Consider than the Dark One is literally a personification of the goblin people lamenting their lot given as provided by the other gods. There's a real chance that he's not going to be willing to play ball with the other pantheons under any circumstances.

The Dark One's whole plan is to play ball with the other gods in the re-ordering of the current world or the remaking of the next one. He explicitly wants to use the threat of the Snarl as a negotiating tactic to get in at the table. Thor rocking up and saying "hey the threat of the Snarl means we want you at the table" would literally short-cut his plan to instant success.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Which is why I still expect both him and Redcloak to be royally pissed when they learn of the Godsmoot. He could have cast the tiebreaking vote and shortcut his plan even more, albeit, of course, at the cost of the current world.

Sky Shadowing posted:

So that must be what's different this time: this is the first time the Gods have created a species of intelligent (or at least soul-bearing) creatures that none of them claimed who managed to raise up their own gods.
Could also be that a lot of worlds had goblins, and this is the first one where events fell into place so they brought forth a new god.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think the key was the self aware parody. You need your xp fodder getting a raw deal to be AWARE they're xp fodder getting a raw deal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Redcloak might even be... a PC.
By the way, according to how the Dark One's origin is told in SoD, he definitely was one when he was just a goblin warlord. Or at least had class levels and possibly a prestige class.

He was also unique from birth with purple skin. Wonder if there's more to that, with the recent colour theory and all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Quiddity" is a real word, and it's literally Latin for "whatsit".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

We know that Oracle cant be a god becourse every god with green essence was killed by Snarl, duh!
The gods who were killed were super big on Oracles. So he may have inherited some "vibe" just not the godlike power.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Toplowtech posted:

The gods who were killed were super big on Oracles. So he may have inherited some "vibe" just not the godlike power.

Yeah but he canonically gets his powers from Tiamat. I don't think the individual magical effects of mortals are as related to the divine essence as people are saying since every one we have seen is more or less a different colour.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

By the way, according to how the Dark One's origin is told in SoD, he definitely was one when he was just a goblin warlord. Or at least had class levels and possibly a prestige class.

He was also unique from birth with purple skin. Wonder if there's more to that, with the recent colour theory and all.

That might just be a quirk as to how humanoid enemies were made in 3rd edition.

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009
I think there's more to The Dark One's color; his birth, or perhaps deification, is connected to the rifts somehow. There's a reason he's different from all the other Gods' creations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

That might just be a quirk as to how humanoid enemies were made in 3rd edition.

That might actually be an intentional subtext: 'enemy' races going from just being statblocks in 2e to have full PC rules and class levels in 3e also changed the calculus of killing them for xp.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like The Dark One might put some value into the lives of his followers? Thor certainly manages to see some value in keeping the world around rather than canning it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like The Dark One might put some value into the lives of his followers? Thor certainly manages to see some value in keeping the world around rather than canning it.

Yeah, I think the Dark One isn't going to default to blowing up the world, given that he was born of this world. After all, his plan right now is to control the Snarl for blackmail purposes. If he was cool with just fridging the current world and being at the table for the next one, he wouldn't have bothered with Redcloak at all.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

His Plan A is the succeed in gaining control of a rift to force concessions in this world after all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But his Plan B is destroying it so he has a table at the next one. He explicitly recognizes that as a successful end game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If he can force concessions without control over a rift, that might work too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah The Dark One is established as having a preference for keeping this world around, otherwise Redcloak would have been given the mission to destroy all the gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ultrafilter posted:

If he can force concessions without control over a rift, that might work too.

Given how important he's apparently turning out to be, this seems extremely likely, assuming Xykon doesn't screw the pooch for everyone. I'm not sure if I see Xykon or the Sunk-Cost-Fallacy-Personified Redcloak more as this role.