Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The WoL is a Primal twist only works if they go full Panzer Dragoon Saga. As in, the player themself is a divine visitor empowering and animating what would otherwise be a lifeless husk. Which would actually work incredibly well in the context of a subscription MMO, but I doubt they go for that level of meta commentary.

I tempered my own character, and it turns out that my divine will consists of lazing about and complaining a lot about content I don't run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

There was the whole bit with Shiva, Thordan and now Yotsuyu being people who were able to turn into primals. I'm not hot on the PC being a day 1 primal, just cause there wasn't a major post-Calamity threat until Gaius touched down early in the MSQ.

(Sidebar: dunno how many people know this, but that cutscene of Gaius' airship landing was prerendered. Kinda cool when you consider how far the game has come in terms of showing action and complex scenes in-game).

Also, did the concepts presented in 3.4 regarding the emotions of a summoner affecting a primal ever get followed up on? Ba Gu showing up in 4.4 reminded me of that incident, but I don't remember it coming up again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vitamean posted:

There was the whole bit with Shiva, Thordan and now Yotsuyu being people who were able to turn into primals. I'm not hot on the PC being a day 1 primal, just cause there wasn't a major post-Calamity threat until Gaius touched down early in the MSQ.

If I'm not mistaken, while a person can become the basis for a primal, they're not actually the primal themselves, are they? Like Shiva the primal is just a manifestation of people's beliefs and legends about the real Shiva, not actually summoning the real Shiva back. So even if the Warrior of Light did become a primal, it wouldn't be you--it'd be a primalized representation of people's beliefs about you. And while we see people turning into those primals, what they're doing is essentially serving as a host body for a primal--so Ysayle isn't Shiva, she's a host for Shiva, who is herself not the real historical Shiva.

Which sort of lends itself more to the idea that eventually someone will summon a primal based on the Warrior of Light that you'll have to fight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I cannot believe the new raid gave us proof that War of the Lions is the definitive worst version of FFT because because of the necessity of vocalization components.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Harrow posted:

If I'm not mistaken, while a person can become the basis for a primal, they're not actually the primal themselves, are they? Like Shiva the primal is just a manifestation of people's beliefs and legends about the real Shiva, not actually summoning the real Shiva back. So even if the Warrior of Light did become a primal, it wouldn't be you--it'd be a primalized representation of people's beliefs about you. And while we see people turning into those primals, what they're doing is essentially serving as a host body for a primal--so Ysayle isn't Shiva, she's a host for Shiva, who is herself not the real historical Shiva.

Which sort of lends itself more to the idea that eventually someone will summon a primal based on the Warrior of Light that you'll have to fight.

This is slightly complicated by the case of Louisoix and Phoenix. When the Eorzeans were praying for salvation, they weren't specifically praying for Phoenix, but what Phoenix represents. There's nothing to indicate that Phoenix even existed prior to the Calamity, in fact. Of course, this is a bit different, since it wasn't Louisoix's original body, but Reconstituted Louisoix Bits.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Got yelled at by a tank to stop using DPS spells so I wouldn't be OOM when he needs a rez.

I'm a RDM and just had to cast verraise 3 consecutive times on the healers because of starboard/larboard happening right after they died from something else. I guess conserving all my MP and doing nothing but rezzing the rest of the party could be a viable strategy in that fight.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Got yelled at by a tank to stop using DPS spells so I wouldn't be OOM when he needs a rez.

I'm a RDM and just had to cast verraise 3 consecutive times on the healers because of starboard/larboard happening right after they died from something else. I guess conserving all my MP and doing nothing but rezzing the rest of the party could be a viable strategy in that fight.

This is the first patch since 4.0 launch that I've done content with mostly pubs, and I swear I've cast verraise more in the past three days than I have the rest of the expansion.

I usually bite the bullet cause at the end of the day, I want to win and get out, but if I'm under half MP I'm saving it for healers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gruckles posted:

Got yelled at by a tank to stop using DPS spells

Gruckles posted:

I'm a RDM

Does not compute.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m really confused how this larboard/starboard mechanic is supposed to work. I get that it kills everyone but one healer (I guess it always chooses the SCH since it’s always me) but how are you supposed to raise everyone after that? Am I supposed to build a LB3 with something?

:v:

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
O11 tip for nautical nancies:
Stand in the middle of the boss, step slightly left or right to not die, rotate with the boss, repeat. If you’re right in the middle, I’ve found the second or so long flash of the aoe is enough warning to get out.

It works for Rathalos too.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I've been thinking of doing the new raid tier on RDM instead of SAM, but getting turned into a rezbot doesn't sound very fun.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Stand way the gently caress too far off to one side as a ranged class to ever have a prayer of reacting, hope it doesn't target that side twice in a row, die anyways

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Gruckles posted:

I'm a RDM and

:stare:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I've been thinking of doing the new raid tier on RDM instead of SAM, but getting turned into a rezbot doesn't sound very fun.

You don't need to be a rezbot if your party gets good and don't die!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I was tempted to yell at tanks for being in DPS stance in O12n considering all of the damage that gets thrown out.
Then we beat it on our third pull.

The O11n blaster tether can be swapped/grabbed by people and whoever has it should run away from everyone so they're the only one's who get paralyzed. I was able to take the damage as SAM with third eye and still have around a quarter of my health left (and I was pretty much the only one who was actually able to see and react to the tether since it doesn't always happen :argh:)

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

This is basically the case. Primals are like fire, you need the right mix of inputs (fuel, oxygen, heat) to create a stable flame. In the case of primals it's belief, intent/emotion, and aether. The Doman artifacts like the Three Regalia that formed Susano have the aether and the belief, but they were inert and did not manifest a Primal until the Red Khojin became desperate enough to wish for a divine intervention to protect their vault. Ysayle provides the intent of summoning the idealized form of Shiva created by the beliefs of the Dravanian Heretics. In the particular case of Primals manifesting around individual people, the process relies on those individuals to provide the raw emotion to keep the summon going, as we can see with Yotsuyu's need to create phantoms to attack her and renew her suffering.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Leal posted:

if your party gets good and don't die!

lol

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You don't have to rez people, but it helps.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Here isba quick nautical etymology lesson: This is a boat.

What you see circled in red there, is a starboard. Contrary to what you MIGHT have thought, "starboard" has absolutely nothing to do with stars. It has to do with "steering", which would make that a "steer board". In later English, it would be called a "steering oar" and then when it was moved to the middle of the boat, it would be called a "rudder", but for now, because most people are right-handed, the "starboard/steer board" is mounted on the right-hand side of the boat.

Now, there are a few considerations you have to take into account when using a steering oar. For one, on which side do you park your boat when you pull up to the dock or port? If you answered the "port side", and this were QI, this would be where we would sound the klaxon. You would be putting the "larboard" side of the boat against the dock or port, and then using a "larboard", or, in later english, "load board", to move cargo on or off your boat, because putting your steering oar between your boat and the dock is a good way to get it smashed to pieces and make leaving the dock harder.

In the mid-19th century, however, the English navy deemed that these two terms were too easy to be confused with eachother, and so changed the official nomenclature used from "larboard" to "port", thereby retaining the logic and connotations with each term.

And now you have no reason to ever screw the starboard/larboard mechanic ever again.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And now you have no reason to ever screw the starboard/larboard mechanic ever again.

Why do boats not just use "left" and "right" sides? Is keeping track of which end of the boat is the front hard or something?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my knowledge of boat terms comes solely from this calvin and hobbes strip which for whatever reason has been burned into my brain since i read it as a kid

starboard is right, port is left

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For me it's FFIV - all the passengers board/leave the ships from the port side, and that stuck in my impressionable mind.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I remember it because port and left have the same number of letters, just like when setting a dinner table, fork goes on the left too.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

In the mid-19th century, however, the English navy deemed that these two terms were too easy to be confused with eachother, and so changed the official nomenclature used from "larboard" to "port", thereby retaining the logic and connotations with each term.

This is 100% the problem with the move, at least for me. That extra quarter-moment double checking which one it is that wouldn't be necessary if they just used 'port.'

Oh well, everyone will get used to it eventually.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

what if I get left and right confused still

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Renegret posted:

what if I get left and right confused still

Your left pointer finger and thumb form an L

KoB
May 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here isba quick nautical etymology lesson: This is a boat.

What you see circled in red there, is a starboard. Contrary to what you MIGHT have thought, "starboard" has absolutely nothing to do with stars. It has to do with "steering", which would make that a "steer board". In later English, it would be called a "steering oar" and then when it was moved to the middle of the boat, it would be called a "rudder", but for now, because most people are right-handed, the "starboard/steer board" is mounted on the right-hand side of the boat.

Now, there are a few considerations you have to take into account when using a steering oar. For one, on which side do you park your boat when you pull up to the dock or port? If you answered the "port side", and this were QI, this would be where we would sound the klaxon. You would be putting the "larboard" side of the boat against the dock or port, and then using a "larboard", or, in later english, "load board", to move cargo on or off your boat, because putting your steering oar between your boat and the dock is a good way to get it smashed to pieces and make leaving the dock harder.

jokes on you i already forgot

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Why do boats not just use "left" and "right" sides? Is keeping track of which end of the boat is the front hard or something?

Because if someone said left, which frame of reference are you working on? The boat, the captain, the bo'sun, the deckswabs? Larboard(or port) and starboard (and bow/stern) are specifically the frame of reference of the boat, so people don't get confused.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I made the mistake of doing things like 'looking at guides' or 'caring' before O10. LET ME TELL YOU IT WORKED WONDERS.

If you think learning is fun try unlearning

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Doomhammer posted:

This is 100% the problem with the move, at least for me. That extra quarter-moment double checking which one it is that wouldn't be necessary if they just used 'port.'

Oh well, everyone will get used to it eventually.

You're over thinking it. Look at the word. Does it start with L? Then he's firing on his left side. If L go to his right. If No L go to his Left.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're over thinking it. Look at the word. Does it start with L? Then he's firing on his left side. If L go to his right. If No L go to his Left.

l = left

if l go left, got it, thanks! :thumbsup:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait his left or my left?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kaubocks posted:

l = left

if l go left, got it, thanks! :thumbsup:

STAGE LEFT

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh god there's a stage involved now too? i didn't sign up for this

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I made the mistake of doing things like 'looking at guides' or 'caring' before O10. LET ME TELL YOU IT WORKED WONDERS.

Wait, what? Isn't this backwards? A spin then a flip is move in, two flips is corners.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Smells like a MrHappy guide.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Wait, what? Isn't this backwards? A spin then a flip is move in, two flips is corners.

normal and savage have different tells

but savage is structured so it's never really a random one just one of any given two

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly my biggest problem with O10 is I can't zoom the camera out far enough so both the "middle is safe" and "corners are safe" cartwheels look kind of similar. Though as long as you stand at the Melee Position at the back left or right of the target circle, you usually have enough time to adjust if you couldn't tell which it was.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yes, actually. Boats got busy as gently caress, so you needed terms that were absolutes rather than subjective.

Saint Freak posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I think the move to corners thing is a little misleading too; because it depends on what direction the tank is facing the boss (i.e., you can turn him 45 degrees and get most of the raid killed this way).