Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ASenileAnimal posted:

:same: the whole game had a really bleak vibe. you slowly lost all your friends to horrible deaths until you were prettymuch alone at the end. poo poo, if i remember correctly i think theres even a part where the main love interests pet pig ends up suiciding itself into a fire so some cannibal tribe wont eat you. 12 year old me was not ready for that poo poo.

Even worse, the pig is the reincarnation of the MC's mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Every MetroidVania should let you teleport to anywhere you've been at any time.

The biggest flaw of Hollow Knight is that they made the bosses damage sponges to increase the difficulty instead of coming up with challenging gameplay design for them.

Dead Cells has the best 2d combat ever and singlehandedly justifies the roguelite genre.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SolidStank posted:

SOCOM 2 was the best TPS ever.

As far as online TPS goes, pretty much, yeah.

Barudak posted:

Dont know why youre telling him that and not the game developer

:drat:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I thought that the interface and general mechanics of doing anything in Fallout 4 sucked, and even after 3 hours I couldn't get into the game and gave up on it. This is from someone who put 100+ hours into Fallout 3 and NV respectively. If a game has a crappy/clunky interface, then it doesn't matter how much it rocks or how engaging it is, I will usually give up on it because I can't be assed to navigate through whatever console button-mashing hell they left us PC users with. Alien Isolation was another game that I finally got too frustrated with and said, "not going to bother trying to remember 34 different button combinations to "activate" different objects".

Also, this is from someone who regularly plays flight sims where I have to dive into using Alt+Key and Ctrl+Key because I've run out of vanilla buttons to press to do everything.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All fallout games suck including the first two

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FO4 sucks, but not because the interface.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

steinrokkan posted:

FO4 sucks, but not because the interface.

I didn't get to find that out because of the interface.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, it controls exactly like FO3/NV? Maybe there are some small changes?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It sucks because it's a Bethesda developed game. Duh.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shibawanko posted:

All fallout games suck including the first two

The first two were made at a time that it was okay for a PC game to be poorly made if it had a neat idea behind it, so whatevs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blistex posted:

Alien Isolation was another game that I finally got too frustrated with and said, "not going to bother trying to remember 34 different button combinations to "activate" different objects".

This was actually great and the buttons always correspond with the motion of her hands so its p easy to learn and execute quickly when the alien is probably right behind you if you aren't a loving moron

It's actually very thoughtful and intuitive and not a bullshit console port thing in the slightest

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 20, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alien Isolation is a FPMastapiece

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Spider-Man for ps4 is an inferior clone of the Arkham games with shittier combat and stealth segments. While the swinging is fun, it's extremely floaty and is essentially "hold down R2 and point in a direction to make cool things happen". These are the same guys who made the Spider-man 2 tie-in game which absolutely nailed the webswing mechanics and somehow no spider-man game has matched that perfection since.

I liked the story and the characters at least, except MJ who is absolutely toxic and Peter should dump her selfish rear end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like the swinging in the 3D Bionic Commando game best. No game has topped it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Telltale Game shutting down.

quote:

The Verge report that a skeleton crew of around 25 will remain at the studio, down from around 250...Telltale have seen some rough times in the past year, and laid off 90 staff back in November (roughly a quarter of their number), but today’s losses seem far more final, and The Verge’s sources say staff were let go with no severance.

Looks like making crappy games with crappy art isn't enough to keep 300 odd people employed anymore :capitalism:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Weird, who would have ever thought that you have to make a profit in order to keep making games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe they should have licensed more franchises???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: oh there is a GBS thread for this now.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 21, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Telltale Game shutting down.

Looks like making crappy games with crappy art isn't enough to keep 300 odd people employed anymore :capitalism:

lol, holy poo poo, talk about milking the cow until the teats fall off. Good riddance, I guess.

250 is an enormous number of people for a studio like that, but I feel bad for the jobless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have mixed feelings about that. I mean, obviously not about people losing their jobs, that sucks rear end, but Telltale really needed to up their game to stay relevant and I never really saw much effort to make their games play/look/run better. I quit playing them a few years ago when they started to feel like a chore to play so I could enjoy the story stuff.

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe they should have licensed more franchises???

ouch, lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Telltale games always looked like loving bores and I never got how anyone was attracted to those games, same with Bioware and Bethesda.

Games should never have stupid, wonky sounding names and if they do it harms the game. "This War of Mine" may be a perfectly serviceable game, but at the end of the day, you are still playing a game called "This War of Mine" and that will make you feel stupid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This war of mine is good and has nothing to do with Telltale. Not even the same genre telltale makes lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Telltale games always looked like loving bores and I never got how anyone was attracted to those games, same with Bioware and Bethesda.

Games should never have stupid, wonky sounding names and if they do it harms the game. "This War of Mine" may be a perfectly serviceable game, but at the end of the day, you are still playing a game called "This War of Mine" and that will make you feel stupid.

That wasn't telltale, it was 11 bit studios. And Frostpunk is a loving sweet game with a great name

Telltale made a million licensed adventure games and Tales from the Borderlands was really the only great one, the rest ranged from okay to bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

We've reached peak hipster itt

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mean, that was supposed to be an entirely separate unpopular opinion from the telltale talk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought you were confusing it with the wolf among us or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This Unpopular Videogame Opinion of Mine

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shibawanko posted:

This Unpopular Videogame Opinion of Mine

Actually you’re the unpopular one, not your opinions

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
too bad about telltale. a lot of their stuff was disposable. but tales from the borderlands was genuinely a fun romp.

e: they must have been super overcapitalized and struggling with declining sales for years? the margins are often real thin for mid-level developers.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 22, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, it's kind of problem when you've made a million games but only three of them are spoken of positively.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I found the walking dead stuff I've played to be fun? I dunno I never got all the hate.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Their games aren't completely terrible, usually, this is most likely a case of some serious mismanagement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tales from the Borderlands was so much better than it had any right to be. Pity about the rest.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

QuarkJets posted:

That wasn't telltale, it was 11 bit studios. And Frostpunk is a loving sweet game with a great name

Telltale made a million licensed adventure games and Tales from the Borderlands was really the only great one, the rest ranged from okay to bad.

They made the Sam & Max games on PS3, and I enjoyed those. They were good games. Fight me.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

But reads expensive licenced choose your own adventure games.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

and there lego games suck poo poo

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Maybe people just realized they could watch a movie or read a book.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

We've reached peak hipster itt

Telltale, Bioware, and Bethesda suck donkey dick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr.Smasher posted:

They made the Sam & Max games on PS3, and I enjoyed those. They were good games. Fight me.

They were also on everything else.

spaceblancmange posted:

But reads expensive licenced choose your own adventure games.

It seems like licensed adventure games, especially with the licenses they had, have a lot less broad appeal than the licenses themselves did. Probably doesn't help that they neither advertised nor made them easily accessible for the casual market where they'd have the most crossover appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Dross posted:

MetroidVanias are platformers

e: this is a joke I didn’t immediately get, isn’t it

no joke, just a bitter irony