Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

a Saint Bernard

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
there's this exercise path near where i live and google maps keeps routing me through it when i ask for cycling directions. cycling is forbidden on the path and i have reported the issue several times. latest report got a notification that my change request has been approved. maps still routes bicycles though the path.

like the path has this sign on it "Road closed to all vehicles in both directions"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

there's this exercise path near where i live and google maps keeps routing me through it when i ask for cycling directions. cycling is forbidden on the path and i have reported the issue several times. latest report got a notification that my change request has been approved. maps still routes bicycles though the path.

like the path has this sign on it "Road closed to all vehicles in both directions"

I bet if you marked it impassable on waze it'd get picked up on basic google maps

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wheany posted:

I bet google maps backend doesn't have a connection type that routes walking but not bicycles

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

~Coxy posted:

I bet google maps backend doesn't have a connection type that routes walking but not bicycles

i can't believe it's that stupid. hang on, let me test it on a park near me where i know there are separate trails for biking and for walking... :ughh:

https://goo.gl/maps/zLyUsZfFwKH2

https://goo.gl/maps/gkNx2JFsoo12

i got gmaps to suggest both of these routes on pedestrian-only trails. the trail just to the north of both of these is bike-only. they're separated because this is a very popular park and it'd be super dangerous during any nice day to ride a bike down the pedestrian trail. holy poo poo google

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i can't believe it's that stupid. hang on, let me test it on a park near me where i know there are separate trails for biking and for walking... :ughh:

https://goo.gl/maps/zLyUsZfFwKH2

https://goo.gl/maps/gkNx2JFsoo12

i got gmaps to suggest both of these routes on pedestrian-only trails. the trail just to the north of both of these is bike-only. they're separated because this is a very popular park and it'd be super dangerous during any nice day to ride a bike down the pedestrian trail. holy poo poo google

Tbf it does say "walk your bicycle" for those sections

And you seem to have chosen endpoints that are only on the walking path and not actually reachable from the bike path? how are you expecting to get to that exact spot, ride down the cycleway and then jump the barrier?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

what barrier

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also if we move the start point a bit, here are the three routes it suggests from the new start point to the (same) end point

e: whoops actually i had the directions reversed. i'm tired tonight i'll gently caress around with it more later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no red dot. what's the point of having a leica if you can't show it off??!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

taking selfies leica boss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

Leica has a few models with no red dot. they cost more than the poverty-tier base models

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

Leica has a few models with no red dot. they cost more than the poverty-tier base models
oh i guess the android phone is good then

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jesus WEP posted:

taking selfies leica boss

:slick:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

better huawei up and release another gimmick piece of garbage

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is Huawei any good. it has a cool looking name, but, I've never seen anyone talk about their products ever, and, have never heard the word spoken out loud. I could see it being either hoo-a-why (or way) or wah-why (or way)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i haven’t read that particular sub in years but i seem to recall that name being brought up quite a bit in iyg. don’t remember what the verdict was but if they were talking about it there it’s probably poo poo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

three lenses and one hearing aid battery. fearless

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's to provide extra juice for overclocking

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huawei is for people who want the biggest numbers for the littlest money and don't particularly care that it comes with adware preinstalled or routes all your traffic through 毛主席的永恒电子大脑

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

毛主席的永恒电子大脑
worth it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my way, or the huawei. :clint:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

huawei is for people who want the biggest numbers for the littlest money and don't particularly care that it comes with adware preinstalled or routes all your traffic through 毛主席的永恒电子大脑
in what substantial way is this different from other Android phones, putting aside the inscrutability of its manufacturer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

indigi posted:

is Huawei any good. it has a cool looking name, but, I've never seen anyone talk about their products ever, and, have never heard the word spoken out loud. I could see it being either hoo-a-why (or way) or wah-why (or way)

it's hwa-way, i'm p sure and like every china phone comes with spyware pre-installed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

it's hwa-way, i'm p sure and like every china phone comes with spyware pre-installed

again, this just sounds like every google os phone

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

indigi posted:

huawei though is confirmed for doing this poo poo, they literally are a spy agency of the chinese government

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

indigi posted:

yeah but this is in addition to android being inherently spyware

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah huaweis poo poo is literally in the hardare level owned and doing its own poo poo to chinese IPs

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sniep posted:

huawei though is confirmed for doing this poo poo, they literally are a spy agency of the chinese government

i might trust them more than google

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/drewbills129/status/911827268359671808

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

my way, or the huawei. :clint:

mods

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bulgakov posted:

i might trust them more than google

personally it's less of a conflict of interest but i understand that the human rights part could uh be an issue with the government aspect

yeah just assume a Pixel or a Huawei is putting information resources in the hands of a fascist gov

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

nah, they do decent hardware for low prices (they do their own socs so they can shave of some costs there), but they gently caress up the software a lot, and i wouldn't trust them to do anything useful with this camera setup (though i think it is again horrid overprocessing software letting their cameras down)

they are the second-largest phone manufacturer in the world though (apple fell to third just this summer), so obviously the things they sell do more or less function

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why would some who lives in the First World and isn’t an poor willingly use an Aynrandroid phone?

I guess it just makes me sad to see people who won’t stop shoving they dick in the light socket, no matter how many times they get advised not to?

:ohdear:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

expensive phones are a waste of money, and consumerism really is a bad thing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

expensive phones are a waste of money, and consumerism really is a bad thing

True, but Android is also a bad thing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the world of technology certainly is a depressing place

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Turns out most people don't really give a poo poo who made the rectangle in their pocket, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a lot of people choose android because they care very much about who made their device/OS. "enjoy your walled garden appleailures :smugdroid:" is a cliche for a reason.