Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

imagine buying this instead of an ipad

LastInLine posted:

Figured I'd give an update since I just got this in the beta channel on Tab 10 and this will be the launch software for the Pixelbook tablet when it comes out.

It does make some some substantial changes to the tablet UI. An autohiding shelf is now the default, the app close UI is different in that you can't pull down from the top to get close/minimize buttons (it instead triggers the app switcher), and the app drawer is now pretty much an iPad interface.

The problems though with ChromeOS as a tablet only OS remain. The stylus still can't do text selection. It still routinely loses both your rotation lock and brightness selectons (the Tab 10 can't do autobrightness which is really annoying).

But the worst thing, far and away, is the the virtual keyboard just doesn't work. The Android subsystem, at least in beta 70, is still 7.1.1 so you can't load gBoard (or any other keyboard). The only keyboard you do have is difficult to imagine if you've never used it. It won't capitalize the first word of any sentence or the letter "i". It inserts random spaces if you ever move the cursor (but doesn't unless you do this) so sometimes you'll get two spaces between words or spaces within words. Autocorrection is spotty at best and sometimes just absent. It also won't let you select a past word and get suggestions to change it so you have to manually backspace out a missed word and retype it. I tried typing this post on that keyboard but only got two sentences in before I had to give up and use a different device, it simply doesn't work at all.

Oh yeah, depending on the app the keyboard might just cover the text area you're entering into. Some apps, like the ChromeOS Hangouts app, will move entire window up so that half of it is out of frame to make room for the keyboard but it means the bottom is visible to see what you're entering. Some, like the Chrome Hangouts extension, won't move at all and keyboard will cover the bottom half of the app making text entry a blind process. Android apps behave like you'd expect where when the keyboard is invoked the app shrinks by half to accommodate it leaving both the top bar and bottom text entry field visible but the text size is scaled for a phone so everything is teeny-tiny. As with everything on ChromeOS as a tablet, everything is a compromise; nothing will ever "just work".

Lastly I should mention that ChromeOS 70 beta on my Tab 10 has been extremely unstable. It's crashed the whole OS twice in ten minutes doing nothing special. It has just gone blank and rebooted. That could just be the Tab 10 though.

All in all if this is the tablet experience you get with a ChromeOS tablet it's really hard to recommend anyone spend earth dollars for one. They're definitely working on it, changes have been coming often as new versions roll out, but there's so much lacking polish and experience breaking bugs that there's just no good reason to buy one unless you just want to torture yourself.
they're talking about a chromebook, but your point stands

LastInLine posted:

butt dickus posted:

either suck it up and buy an iPad or spend even more on a chromeos device.
Thread title, right here.

For what it's worth, I might poo poo on MS products because they're garbo but let me assure you that my Chomebook Tab 10 is also trash. The difference, I think, is that I knew that going in and I'd never recommend it unless I was sure the person asking was well aware of everything bad about it. It fulfills my expectations but that's not equivalent to being acceptable.

I don't doubt that people love their Surfaces, but let's be real, we're all Android people and we know Stockholm Syndrome well. We put up with a shitload of half-assed design and execution and it necessarily creeps into our view of how well technology is supposed to work. The kinds of compromises one must make in order to use these devices should not be taken lightly or as "just part of the game" because, in the tablet space especially, there is a good option, you just have to be willing to set aside anti-Apple bias to use it.

I'm just saying we shouldn't be complacent about the incredibly poor state of affairs in the Android tablet space simply because it's the way it is. It's bad and we should acknowledge that keeping in mind the knowledge that even if that's the case that some people just want to remain in this ecosystem and for them we should present the options warts and all.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/first-look-chrome-os-pixelbook-tablet-nocturne-madebygoogle/

they're making another hybrid one, because coherent brand strategy is for loving chumps

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/first-look-chrome-os-pixelbook-tablet-nocturne-madebygoogle/

they're making another hybrid one, because coherent brand strategy is for loving chumps

thats because its a coherent promotion strategy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google doesn’t have a strategy because it’s a bunch of random groups loving around, making products with no coordination, no oversight, and no direction. exactly the same as their software “strategy”, their hardware one is to haphazardly poo poo out a bunch of random products and then quickly abandon them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anthonypants posted:

they're talking about a chromebook, but your point stands
they're talking about the acer tab 10, a chromeos tablet. it costs roughly the same as the latest base ipad.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Endless Mike posted:

nah

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lite rally can’t typ eon it b ut otherwise than   that suitsm yneeds 4/%

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jesus WEP posted:

lite rally can’t typ eon it b ut otherwise than   that suitsm yneeds 4/%

sMae 0p

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

q4 2018: waiting for godot

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I met a guy in his mid 20s this summer who was *dual wielding* blackberries

he had a blackberry passport, and a blackberry key 2

his job is "graduate student"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pinterest Mom posted:

thats fine

Pinterest Mom posted:

deadly combination, avoid this person at all costs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pinterest Mom posted:

More like Pissport, ammirite?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

i.e. "unemployed", working on unlocking "unemployable"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

i.e. "unemployed", working on unlocking "unemployable"

doesn't matter, dad's rich as gently caress and they can cruise being a shitlord forever

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Management posted:

google doesn’t have a strategy because it’s a bunch of random groups loving around, making products with no coordination, no oversight, and no direction. exactly the same as their software “strategy”, their hardware one is to haphazardly poo poo out a bunch of random products and then quickly abandon them.

it would be better if they abandoned stuff instead of actively making it worse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google abandon good stuff all the time, and i need you to not give them any further ideas lest they kill off scholar next

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google abandon good stuff all the time, and i need you to not give them any further ideas lest they kill off scholar next

if your google product has less than one hundred million users you can already consider it dead.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lest they kill off scholar next

several groups of people at my place of employment spent months trying to get in contact with a single live person that works on scholar

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

if your google product has less than one hundred million users you can already consider it dead.

even then don't be so sure, more than 100 million people use toothbrushes every day

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
fun fact: scholar doesn't allow any aws ips to use its service

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

The Management posted:

google ... it’s a bunch of random groups loving around, making products with no coordination, no oversight, and no direction.

100% true. Doubly so for hardware.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dielectric posted:

Doubly so for hardware.

google doesnt make hardware

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

anthonypants posted:

wow, they built a temperature sensor right into the back

I could certainly use a rectal thermometer in my EDC kit, why not dual purpose that with my phone?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the iphone XIS should have an RGB apple logo on the back that does rainbow colors

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it should come with an attachment that sucks your dick

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

it should come with an attachment that sucks your dick

seems impractical as the box would have to be as big as a refrigerator to fit your mom inside

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

graph posted:

several groups of people at my place of employment spent months trying to get in contact with a single live person that works on scholar

i don't know the exact number of times I've reported bugs in Google products, but it's gotta be several dozen. the only time i ever got back anything typed by a human was when there was a bug in google maps, where any request for transit directions from my then-address would only return the last train or bus of the night, so like 2 or 3 am. this bug lasted for months and the unsigned reply just explained that they were working on the bug

meanwhile the route finder at the actual transit authority website (built with probably 0.001% of google maps's funding) worked fine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

incels interlinked posted:

seems impractical as the box would have to be as big as a refrigerator to fit your mom inside

my mother is a saint and has never hosed

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that isn't a requirement. many saints had sex during their earthly lives

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the vast majority of girl ones were, though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

Jesus?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mary hosed just not til later

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i believe it is the same for men. this isn't the point though, i said it's not a requirement. also we have now destroyed what tiny opening for humor there was based on my mediocre post :effort:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

fun fact: scholar doesn't allow any aws ips to use its service

after 5 months of trying to get in touch with anyone their answer was 'we dont care'

hey pal you realize like all of academia is moving to vdi on aws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

graph posted:

'we dont care'

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

graph posted:

after 5 months of trying to get in touch with anyone their answer was 'we dont care'

move to google clown problem solved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

indigi posted:

a Saint Bernard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Management posted:

a Saint Bernard

:eyepop:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

a Saint Bernard

SHOTS FIRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004