Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah combat was always... less of a focus in previous games, which I don't think was a weakness.

I think my biggest problem with Origins is it represents a big leap in the gradual dissolving of the uniqueness of AC's concept and gameplay into making the series 'Generic Ubisoft Open World Game: Type Historical'.

e: and by less of a focus I mean it was a slightly less fun version of the Arkham Batman rhythm puzzle gameplay. Trying to be Dark Souls-esque was a mistake they've straight up admitted when they said they've focused on working out how to make Odyssey's combat faster paced.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
ac wasn't unique at all in its gameplay my man, its just farcry: ancient city or batman: white batsuit or mordor: 0 orcs. that doesnt make the game bad but its not like its unique

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

underage at the vape shop posted:

ac wasn't unique at all in its gameplay my man, its just farcry: ancient city or batman: white batsuit or mordor: 0 orcs. that doesnt make the game but its not like its unique

it came out before the latter two though. id say it "invented" the counter button to fight, type gameplay.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't really get the beef with the combat in Origins. It's chunky, the weapons are varied, the parry system works. It barely resembles the mechanics in the earlier titles, but like... go check those titles out and see how much frustration there is to be found in them. I replayed the Ezio trilogy not too long ago, and although its still a lot of fun, Origins blows it out of the water in terms of accessibility. I've played nearly every installment in AC, but if you were to put a gun to my head and ask me what games were actually "fun" to play, it's like: AC2/Brotherhood, the ship combat from Black/Flag Rogue, and Origins.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The whole point was that you were an assassin, i.e. a killer with a purpose other than just killing randos. In the first game there were zero rewards for fighting dickheads and the rewards have almost always been mediocre except for special cases.

This meant that the focus was more on giving the player tools to run away from fights or kill everyone present quickly (Smoke bombs being the iconic tool for both) and tbh, that was pretty much what I wanted.

I don't hate Origins or anything; I just don't see the point really and for most of the game I treated combat more as a failure state than anything else; I was stealth killing most of the time with the hidden blade or shooting people in the head (the latter is a welcome addition tbh because it was always a mite nonsensical that he never had a bow)

also if they ever even come close to colonial times again they should set the game in actually cool and interesting South America and not the incredibly boring and poo poo north which seriously had the worst loving dull as dishwater historical events ever

I still literally cannot believe we followed some dickhead on a horse or something with william dawes or some such claptrap like anyone on the planet cares about such utter loving nonsense

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The whole point was that you were an assassin, i.e. a killer with a purpose other than just killing randos. In the first game there were zero rewards for fighting dickheads and the rewards have almost always been mediocre except for special cases.

This meant that the focus was more on giving the player tools to run away from fights or kill everyone present quickly (Smoke bombs being the iconic tool for both) and tbh, that was pretty much what I wanted.

I don't hate Origins or anything; I just don't see the point really and for most of the game I treated combat more as a failure state than anything else; I was stealth killing most of the time with the hidden blade or shooting people in the head (the latter is a welcome addition tbh because it was always a mite nonsensical that he never had a bow)

also if they ever even come close to colonial times again they should set the game in actually cool and interesting South America and not the incredibly boring and poo poo north which seriously had the worst loving dull as dishwater historical events ever

I still literally cannot believe we followed some dickhead on a horse or something with william dawes or some such claptrap like anyone on the planet cares about such utter loving nonsense

By the middle of this post I heard it in Shaun Hastings' voice and it really made the whole thing much better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Exactly. Also for a response to underage at the vape shop's terrible post:

AC: 2007.
AC2: 2009
Brotherhood: 2010
Revs: 2011
Far Cry 3: 2012.
AC3: Also 2012

That's the key moment. Far Cry 3 marks the beginning of 'Cookie Cutter Ubisoft Open World experience' and is the point at which Ubisoft decided that every game they had was going to see a very rapid convergence of style and gameplay cycle to the point where you can look at AC:Origins, Far Cry 5, and Ghost Recon Wildlands and see that at the heart of each game is exactly the same foundation.

It's not a game about being an Assassin anymore. It's a game about being in an Ubisoft Open World game.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
just cause its first doesnt mean its unique when everyone else does it too, and sometimes better like mordors combat. they made barely any changes for over a decade. it was getting stale.

origins, he literally was not an assassin. he was a warrior. he started the assassins but he was not an assassin. neither are kassandra or alexios. I would argue that origins and farcry 5 were pretty different, especially now that they don't have parkour in both games and neither game has the climbing towers bullshit. The similarities they have are similarities they share with non ubisoft. You are mad they changed stuff about assassins creed to make it a new different experience but also mad they kept stuff familiar.

i bet you guys hate origins for the lack of modern world story too :rolleyes:

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 22, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Assassin's Creed: Apocalypto would be pretty great.

Shank conquistadors all day erry day.

Or, you know, they could make you play as a Spaniard, in which case the smallpox blanket would be an actual weapon in a video game.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Alchenar posted:

That's the key moment. Far Cry 3 marks the beginning of 'Cookie Cutter Ubisoft Open World experience' and is the point at which Ubisoft decided that every game they had was going to see a very rapid convergence of style and gameplay cycle to the point where you can look at AC:Origins, Far Cry 5, and Ghost Recon Wildlands and see that at the heart of each game is exactly the same foundation.

It's not a game about being an Assassin anymore. It's a game about being in an Ubisoft Open World game.

Origins scaled the map clutter way back it's not even comparable to previous games like AC:Syndicate or any of the Farcrys from 3 onward. It was a welcome relief to only have the 1 to 2 question marks per small location to an icon every 20 feet in the older games.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

By the middle of this post I heard it in Shaun Hastings' voice and it really made the whole thing much better.
Shaun's takes on poo poo were some of my fav poo poo so I'm fine with being insufferable but correct

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Friendly Fire posted:

Origins scaled the map clutter way back it's not even comparable to previous games like AC:Syndicate or any of the Farcrys from 3 onward. It was a welcome relief to only have the 1 to 2 question marks per small location to an icon every 20 feet in the older games.

I don’t think anything will ever top Kingdoms Of Amalur for sheer busywork congestion on a map.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shaun's takes on poo poo were some of my fav poo poo so I'm fine with being insufferable but correct

Not insufferable. Wasn't trying to slam you, just thought your angry take on the game combined with certain word choices was very similar.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ac wasn't unique at all in its gameplay my man, its just farcry: ancient city or batman: white batsuit or mordor: 0 orcs. that doesnt make the game bad but its not like its unique

lol have you ever even played the original assassins creed? It was very much unique when it came out. ac literally invented that style of combat, and also featured cool assassin things like blending into crowds, and having most of your weapons/tools be concealable. Not to mention the in depth historic setting and the fact that it was an open world third person action game when there weren’t a whole lot of those around.
To be clear I like origins a lot, and I think it distinctly improved certain parts of the series gameplay, but parkouring around with multiple bows and a great axe and a sword is dumb and I wish at the very least we had syndicate like options to use daggers, throwing knives, etc. Fighting groups of enemies with the hidden blade was fun as hell in the old games and I’m sad that’s not even an option anymore, not to mention calling assassins for distractions/ back up, hiding in crowds, etc.

:goonsay:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its 2018 though not 2007 and they are bringing back calling in the boys. You can chuck the broken spear too

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Its 2018 though not 2007 and they are bringing back calling in the boys. You can chuck the broken spear too

I wouldn’t disagree that the series had some staleness in certain parts and needed updating, that’s not what you said though. You said ‘ac wasn't unique at all in its gameplay my man’ and then followed that with another post implying something can’t be unique if other things are then derivative of it, which is an...unique definition of the word unique.

also this is neither here nor there but the new spider-man game has one of the best iterations of AC style combat I’ve ever played, I feel like ubi could have found ways to improve the combat and freshen things up while keeping it recognizably assassins creed, instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I guess I feel like syndicate was a return to form in a lot of ways and then they blew everything up to make origins. Which, again, is a good game that I enjoy, but not very assassin-y feeling.

tl;dr vidjagames r bad

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

free hubcaps posted:

hiding in crowds
This is the one I miss the most. I've never really found any of combat in the AC games to be more than "okay, I guess", so I still played Origins largely as a stealth game (and it's nice that, outside of a few sequences, it is designed to be playable as such), but they definitely cut back on the stealth options as they beefed up the combat. I think that does remove a bit of what makes these games special, although the intricate historical settings and parkour still stand out.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
things that used to be unique can stop being unique at a later date. Like when similar games come out that do your gimmicks but better.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 22, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Origins was the best game in the series, and 4 is the second best. Open worlds are cool, and while Ubisoft does run them into the ground, this series is their best implementation of it. Maybe some of you want instant fail stealth missions back, but I'm glad they're dead.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I bought the first AC game the day it came out and played the hell out of it with my then-girlfriend, but never actually got through much of the story or beat it, then straight up hated all the other ones I tried. Black Flag was almost fun because I liked the ships and the guns but the sword fighting was just too frustrating for me so I only played for like 8 hours, which tbf is like four times longer than I played any of the other ones. So I'm loving origins

That being said how the gently caress am I mean to kill these Phylakes, dude is the same level as me and he absolutely bodied me with a series of massive death strikes and even my gold predator bow arrows basically bounce off him for all the damage they do. And I can't do my traditional gently caress them over by riding my camel fast at them because he just pulls me off it immediately

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Frog Act posted:

That being said how the gently caress am I mean to kill these Phylakes, dude is the same level as me and he absolutely bodied me with a series of massive death strikes and even my gold predator bow arrows basically bounce off him for all the damage they do. And I can't do my traditional gently caress them over by riding my camel fast at them because he just pulls me off it immediately

1. git gud. Fire arrows may help.
2. Get a couple more levels if you can't beat him straight up.
3. Assassinate, then lose him and go assassinate again until he's dead.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

That’s another thing, I can’t wait to drop 50 feet onto a dude and bury my hidden blade in his spine, see big numbers pop out and find out I only did a sliver of damage because he is ten levels higher than my highly trained assassin/warrior

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The AC franchise until Origins was basically a telescoping train wreck of terrible game design, so I'm pretty fine with them tossing all that out and just making Witcher-y historical rpgs

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Fuligin posted:

The AC franchise until Origins was basically a telescoping train wreck of terrible game design, so I'm pretty fine with them tossing all that out and just making Witcher-y historical rpgs

imagine if the Witcher was made by Ubisoft though

E; despite my upthread bitching, I did enjoy origins quite a lot but also thought it had a fair few flaws, and I plan on getting odyssey and it’s probably going to be good fun but I’m also very wary of the “rpg elements” being added in the form of damage numbers and equipment

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 22, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

origins owned

and odyssey will own too!!!!!!

video games........ are good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The RPG elements are exactly why I am hype for an AC game ever, and I suspect Ubisoft is betting on grabbing a whole lot of the Bioware diaspora. Worked for me!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Deakul posted:

origins owned

It's a risky take, but... I'll allow it.

And yeah, weirdly, Origins and Odyssey have kind of filled the Mass Effect void for me. I'm really hyped for Odyssey's conversation system just for that reason alone.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

free hubcaps posted:

also this is neither here nor there but the new spider-man game has one of the best iterations of AC style combat I’ve ever played,

Umm, what?

Spider-Man combat is not even close to any iteration of AC combat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep, Spider-Man is way closer to Arkham or Middle-Earth than AC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man combat in the latest game is obviously much more refined but it still very much fits in with the other Spider-Man videogames. There are some obvious Arkham influences and mechanics but it's not just Batman in a red and blue costume. If you were to remove everything "Arkham" about the combat it would still function similarly.

Less so for stealth, though. Stealth is pretty clearly Arkham Predator mode set to easy.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
The roots for Spider-Man are definitely in Arkham though but after a point the style goes in a different direction.

Still nothing like Assassin's Creed combat though.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 22, 2018

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Friendly Fire posted:

Umm, what?

Spider-Man combat is not even close to any iteration of AC combat.

isk posted:

Yep, Spider-Man is way closer to Arkham or Middle-Earth than AC.

Friendly Fire posted:

The roots for Spider-Man are definitely in Arkham though but after a point the style goes in a different direction.

Still nothing like Assassin's Creed combat though.

it’s a rhythmic third person action system that has dodge prompts and rewards you for keeping the combo going, with special enemies that require different tactics to mix the rhythm up, as well as gadgets/tools you can use. I’d hardly say it’s nothing like assassins creed. yea spiderman is more like Arkham than rear end creed but rear end creed is the granddaddy of that ‘style’ of combat and arkham drew heavily from it. Regardless of what you may think of my opinion I think we’d all agree that spider-man’s combat is much closer to the asscreed/Arkham formula than origins is, and is also really fun.

Deakul posted:

origins owned

MADNESS

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

also, sorry for the double post but do you think we’ll be able to climb on the colossus of rhodes’ ballsack?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Playing some more Origins, I wish Kassandra is as cool as Bayek.

I like almost every quest where Bayek interacts with children. He's really nice when he doesn't go VENGEANCE.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

free hubcaps posted:

also, sorry for the double post but do you think we’ll be able to climb on the colossus of rhodes’ ballsack?

It was built more than a century later so prolly not.

Fun fact, three of Revelations' multiplayer maps were set in Rhodes, one of which includes ~antique ruins~. Of course by now everyone pretends MP never happened even though it ws the best part of his games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

probably. my guess is they will make at least a couple dicks/asses climable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Adnor posted:

Playing some more Origins, I wish Kassandra is as cool as Bayek.

I like almost every quest where Bayek interacts with children. He's really nice when he doesn't go VENGEANCE.

It's okaaaaaay... but really hamfisted in terms of the storywriting.

Bayek is driven by grief for the loss of his child. At every location he visits he hangs out with a contact's children and demonstrates he would have been a good dad and probably living a good normal life if he hadn't been caught up in the Order's schemes. Yawn.

None of it comes close to what the Black Flag team achieved with one epilogue sequence between Edward and his daughter.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Origins combat feels super bad to me. everyone moves way too fast and janky and there’s no feeling of weight or feedback to anything. being able to zip around like my lower half isn’t attached to my upper body is loving weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's okaaaaaay... but really hamfisted in terms of the storywriting.

Bayek is driven by grief for the loss of his child. At every location he visits he hangs out with a contact's children and demonstrates he would have been a good dad and probably living a good normal life if he hadn't been caught up in the Order's schemes. Yawn.

None of it comes close to what the Black Flag team achieved with one epilogue sequence between Edward and his daughter.

I liked Bayek. i liked that he wasn't a Ezio clone like Arno and to an extent Jacob. to me he reminded me of Connor if had been fleshed out better and been mixed with a monogamous geralt. Edward had some great moments but his whole face turn came about way to fast, that being said it had good build up and wasn't out of no where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm glad for a multifaceted POC protagonist who generally does his best and stands up for regular folks but isn't above being annoyed at ultradummies or being silly with kids