Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
OK gonna hold off on those then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Totally. I do them instead of squats or deadlifts as my big-honkin CNS-killing wreck-me lift to keep things spicy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Killing Loaf posted:

How hard are those to recover from? I'm thinking about adding some in but I'm not sure if I have much more recovery capacity left right now.

Honestly they aren’t hard to recover from but I do them quite a bit. Just start with some like 40lb kettle bells and see how you do.

Just make sure each walk “rep” is a decent distance. We’ve played with taking slow steps for a shorter distance but I don’t think they work as well as holding for longer distance.

Really everyone recovers differently so you won’t know till you try it. It’s a great accessory workout and they don’t call it the waking plank for nothing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Or just get a job at amazon lifting heavy things and barely getting paid for it

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly they aren’t hard to recover from but I do them quite a bit. Just start with some like 40lb kettle bells and see how you do.

Just make sure each walk “rep” is a decent distance. We’ve played with taking slow steps for a shorter distance but I don’t think they work as well as holding for longer distance.

Really everyone recovers differently so you won’t know till you try it. It’s a great accessory workout and they don’t call it the waking plank for nothing.

it wouldn't be killer if I was squatting with 80 pounds either.... but if you are doing heavy farmer's walks they are as killer as any of the other big lifts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

it wouldn't be killer if I was squatting with 80 pounds either.... but if you are doing heavy farmer's walks they are as killer as any of the other big lifts.

How much are you doing when you do them?

Also I was assuming the guy above hadn't done them before as part of his routine so starting out light and working them in shouldn't cause any issues :shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 22, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Lots of OHP talk, but really isn't asymmetrical 1 arm dumbbell OHP the superior move?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

Lots of OHP talk, but really isn't asymmetrical 1 arm dumbbell OHP the superior move?

No.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I know it's not in any absolute or normalized sense, that post was more of a "what really is best, and for what goal" kinda post.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Most people like moving more weight, so you're going to need both arms. You could probably have more fun doing some crazy circus presses though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I respect you and agree, for moving the most weight you do the optimal movement for that purpose. I was talking about something else, is 1 hand OHP really a crazy circus press?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I was just talking about how to have fun with it. Not sure which way you meant superior.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I meant in some very vague asymmetrical lifts are cool because they train your balance, core, etc. way

RIght, I get what you mean. It's all good.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 23, 2018

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
345# squat PR yesterday babyyyyyyy

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

yeah but how much weight can you pistol squat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 1 arm OHP is great on an accessory day though because it will help your OHP.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I did 100 yard KB famers walks between RDL sets yesterday and woooo it's good poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

I did 100 yard KB famers walks between RDL sets yesterday and woooo it's good poo poo.

My man.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

doverhog posted:

Not unless you've got a mustache and a leopard-print singlet.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsYi3Rbr8Ys

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cosmik Slop posted:

Not unless you've got a mustache and a leopard-print singlet.

Those aren't hard to get.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarcusSA posted:

How much are you doing when you do them?

Also I was assuming the guy above hadn't done them before as part of his routine so starting out light and working them in shouldn't cause any issues :shrug:

squat < farmer's walks < deadlifts

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i've been doing one arm dumbell z presses as an OHP accessory. they are fun.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I do one armed DB clean and presses on my conditioning day. They wipe the floor with me but it is fun.

Also I'm really forgetful the last few gym visits, first I forget my phone (luckily was still at the same place where I left it an hour later) and yesterday I left my towel laying somewhere around.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
I read somewhere that the reason the size of standard olympic plates was decided upon was so if someone fell over backwards with the bar in clean position it wouldn't crush the lifter's neck

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Where the hell is he lifting, a visitor's center?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tbf he didn't let go until he hit the ground, though i'm not sure that counts as "safely lowering"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

tbf he didn't let go until he hit the ground, though i'm not sure that counts as "safely lowering"

tough, but fair.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MikeCrotch posted:

Nah, he dropped the bar at the top because he didn't do the eccentric portion.

The fact that he dropped the rest of his body along with it is a technicality

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I wanna get a lot better at pull ups how should I do it?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Lose weight.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

GET BEEFY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This helps but real talk.

Dips, lat pull downs, pull ups using bands.

Those all help with getting to your first real pull up. Beyond that lat pull downs and doing lots of pull-ups helps if you want to do lots of pull-ups lol.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Go and do some pullups between sets when you train chest and shoulders. Also do them AMRAP at the end of your workouts no matter what you trained beforehand. Essentially to get better at pullups just do tons of them. Also try to do them as strict as possible, none of the kipping poo poo.

^^^^Lat pulldowns help poo poo at getting better at pullups. You're taking out your whole lower body of the equation, which is essential while performing a pullup.

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 24, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I can do like 4 or 5 strict where I used to be able to do like 15 strict. I need to lose some weight I guess.

Also to do a ton of volume.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

^^^^Lat pulldowns help poo poo at getting better at pullups. You're taking out your whole lower body of the equation, which is essential while performing a pullup.

What are you talking about?

quote:

Pull ups are a compound exercise that works your upper body.

The target muscle is the “latissimus dorsi” or the well-known lats.

Your lats are the muscle group which determines how wide your back is.

If you want to achieve a V-shaped back, then pull ups must belong in your workout routine.

Lats or Latissimus Dorsi is the muscle that adds width to the back and gives your upper body the V shape look that all men want.

It also creates the illusion of wide shoulders.

what muscles do pull ups work

Many people think that you have to work out your shoulders hard to develop wide shoulders.

The truth is that having a big, wide back is what makes your shoulders look wider!

Pull ups target your lats better than any other exercise. They also work your biceps, upper back and forearms.

They also work other muscles like your traps, rhomboid, teres major, infraspinatus, pecs, erector spinae and external oblique.

The lats do like most of the work in the pull-up. Do lat pull downs.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I'm sorry, where exactly does it say in that weird block of text that the lat pull down exercise makes you better at pull ups? It sure as poo poo trains your lats which is cool and good and I totally agree, but it ain't making you better at the pull up. I mean, you wouldn't recommend someone to train cable flys to get better at benching. You would tell him to bench more and maybe add the flys as an acessory.
Using bands and negatives to teach the proper muscles firing during the exercise is way better than just focusing on the main muscle and doing isolations on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

I'm sorry, where exactly does it say in that weird block of text that the lat pull down exercise makes you better at pull ups? It sure as poo poo trains your lats which is cool and good and I totally agree, but it ain't making you better at the pull up. I mean, you wouldn't recommend someone to train cable flys to get better at benching. You would tell him to bench more and maybe add the flys as an acessory.
Using bands and negatives to teach the proper muscles firing during the exercise is way better than just focusing on the main muscle and doing isolations on it.

Because Lat pull downs work the lats? I dunno weird concept I know.

Working on accessories to get better at main lifts is a thing. I’m not sure what you are arguing here really.

He wanted to get better at pull ups and I gave suggestions that help that. Lat pull downs on off days from working on pull-ups absolutely help develop the muscle group needed to get better at pull-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
Biceps do a lot too so curls don't hurt

I'm curious about the reasoning of the guy who recommended dips for pullup assistance. Scapular strength in holding the body up? The actions of the shoulder and elbow are literally the opposite of a pullup.

MarcusSA posted:

What are you talking about?

I -think- he's talking about super-strict pullups. I do them where you press your legs together and point your toes like a gymnast, with your knees glutes and abs braced and the movement only coming from the shoulders and arms. Great core exercise and helps isolate the right muscles if you do it that way.

Lat pulldowns are fine for extra volume to build muscle... I feel like "only pullups get you better at pullups" is about equivalent to the Starting Strength/Barbell Medicine philosophy that "only lifts that are slight variations of the Big Lifts get you better at the Big Lifts", which is revealed to be absurd if you look at what prominent PL coaches outside of the SS community recommend. Sure it works fine, but so do other approaches. I've tried the "do all of the pullups" approach and it just gets my shoulders upset. Doing a few big sets of pullups once or twice a week and hitting all the relevant muscle groups with more focused exercises (lat pulldown, curls, planks) and variations (chins, rows, different grips, assisted or weighted variations) is Fine.