Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Maybe show these assholes this story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/ron-gosbee-stanne-residential-school-survivor-1.4833133

Although I don't see a pressing need to amplify white voices discussing the residential school experience in general, I think stories from non-First Nations survivors could be valuable in unfucking these racist dipshits who dismiss First Nations voices entirely in terms of showing, yeah, it really was that bad, and that's before you get into the angle of cultural genocide.

Also this

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/st-anne-residential-school-opp-documents

which to be honest should be required reading for every Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

What is with this forum and terrible edgey "kill the prez!!! firebomb wallstreet!! lulz" humour.

It's another byproduct of the regression of our society, increasing inequality and the slow decline of quality of life for people in the western world. Not much sense in harboring a desire to protect the status quo when that status quo is slowly but steadily being left behind.

Hell, one of the top 40 songs making the rounds on the radio is an upbeat little ditty about a guys life hitting a downtown spiral including becoming addicted to oxycodone losing his home and looking to arm himself.

A lot of this is signs of society blowing off a little steam but it does seem like a bit of a tinderbox.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

It's another byproduct of the regression of our society, increasing inequality and the slow decline of quality of life for people in the western world. Not much sense in harboring a desire to protect the status quo when that status quo is slowly but steadily being left behind.

Hell, one of the top 40 songs making the rounds on the radio is an upbeat little ditty about a guys life hitting a downtown spiral including becoming addicted to oxycodone losing his home and looking to arm himself.

A lot of this is signs of society blowing off a little steam but it does seem like a bit of a tinderbox.

I kinda even sorta understand the jokes like that about the actual leaders you think are marginalizing you, but saying you should firebomb the office of some lovely low level civil servants is pretty loving stupid.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lobok posted:

Ideally I would have gone to the Ministry of Transportation to get my licence updated to get rid of the "needs corrective lenses" flag but the idea of spending part of my weekend or having to take time off for that is physically revolting to me. Out of the rare times I ever drive if a cop ever pulls me over and makes a point of it I'll just say "oh I just had it done, need to fix that" or "I'm wearing contacts".

Yeah, I work 9-5 on weekdays and bike so the pre-work and post-work options are horrendously inconvenient for me. It's either take a day off, and apparently even at opening on Saturday's there's enough people camped out that the wait is already two hours. It's repellent. I think I'm gonna try doing it before work tomorrow, but it's literally gonna involve getting up at 6 AM, biking for 20 minutes in the opposite direction of work to get there by 7, hoping that I can be out of there before 8 AM and then biking for an hour to work.

Apparently some people literally have to wait in the lineup to book a drivers test appointment so that they can go and wait in the line for their appointment in a few weeks. This is not a functioning system, I feel so bad for immigrants who have to make multiple trips to these places to get their licenses in order.

re:residential schools.

I hung out with a Metis dude in his late 30's whose mom and her two sisters went to a residential school in the 50's. One of them committed suicide, the other two are both alcoholics who slip in and out of homelessness in Edmonton. Apparently when they were brought in, the first thing that happened was that they were put in a hot bath. As literal kids who didn't speak English and were just yanked away from their parents, their interpretation of this was that the nuns were witches who were putting them in a pot of hot water to cook and eat them.

This was not a long time ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Also this

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/st-anne-residential-school-opp-documents

which to be honest should be required reading for every Canadian.

These sadists and pedophiles should've been hanged, just like Nuremberg.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

zapplez posted:

I kinda even sorta understand the jokes like that about the actual leaders you think are marginalizing you, but saying you should firebomb the office of some lovely low level civil servants is pretty loving stupid.

:decorum:

I think you're making a big deal out of a throw away post and it really shows your priorities. Do you really think he's going to firebomb the dmv? Other poster, do you really think an off the cuff post about firebombing the dmv cause it's frustrating is a sign of the decline of western civilization or an expression of frustration? Why is this your take?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CRISPYBABY posted:

Apparently some people literally have to wait in the lineup to book a drivers test appointment so that they can go and wait in the line for their appointment in a few weeks. This is not a functioning system, I feel so bad for immigrants who have to make multiple trips to these places to get their licenses in order.

Immigrants or people trying to make ends meet who need access to government services or banking or healthcare and come up against hours of operation that mean having to forego income.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why are they running weird racist denialism ads on the radio anyways? I was under the impression that there was no political will regarding helping first nations people (or anybody without money, for that matter) in the first place, why even run the risk of offending people when the status quo isn't at risk?

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

zapplez posted:

What is with this forum and terrible edgey "kill the prez!!! firebomb wallstreet!! lulz" humour.

Also, pretty much anything with a gov contract run privately is dogshit. But firebomb their building? Might be funny/edgy for a 13 year old but jesus.

Firebomb this post

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChairMaster posted:

Why are they running weird racist denialism ads on the radio anyways? I was under the impression that there was no political will regarding helping first nations people (or anybody without money, for that matter) in the first place, why even run the risk of offending people when the status quo isn't at risk?

Well, it's a slippery slope. First you admit they've experienced generational suffering and abuse and might not be lying about it, next thing you know, white people are getting in trouble for executing them! This is an untenable proposition for a large portion of the country, evidently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

zapplez posted:

Yikes.

It was a dumb joke - relax.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vintersorg posted:

Yikes.

It was a dumb joke - relax.

*returns from the hardware store with new pitchfork*

Ok, got everything ready for the revolution. When do we... oh. nevermind.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

zapplez posted:

Nah, it's hilarious.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Fwiw I think making a haha that reads like an invitation of domestic terrorism is pretty ill-advised on any level of irony but hell, what do I know

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zapplez posted:

I kinda even sorta understand the jokes like that about the actual leaders you think are marginalizing you,

Oh wow how magnanimous of you, how nice that you understand at least somewhat the plight of the lowers

Chew on a brick, fucko

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zapplez posted:

It's a something awful comedy forum joke you humourless dumbass. I hope you get firebombed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fwiw I think making a haha that reads like an invitation of domestic terrorism is pretty ill-advised on any level of irony but hell, what do I know

They should count privatization of crown corps as domestic terrorism.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AegisP posted:

Huh, I don't think I've ever heard of Residential School denial to that extent before. That's despicable.

there are books written by old administrators who defend their happy little school they ran that helped kids, one got brought up a few time by one of the more deranged conservative senators a few years back when the TRC was still active and not quietly being defunded

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's a slippery slope; first you make a joke on the internet, next the RCMP is knocking at your door offering you C4.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

zapplez posted:

Agreed.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a something awful comedy forum joke you humourless dumbass. I hope you get firebombed.

It's no laughing matter.

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 23, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HookShot posted:

It's a slippery slope; first you make a joke on the internet, next the RCMP is knocking at your door offering you C4.

I read that firebombing joke and now my Amazon recommends are just pressure cookers and thin blue line merch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dreylad posted:

a few years back when the TRC was still active and not quietly being defunded

I can’t think of the word for how I feel that nobody cares about this. It’s not a surprise, but I thought we wouldn’t be so... indifferent? I mean we can’t even fund one commission? Really?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

there are books written by old administrators who defend their happy little school they ran that helped kids, one got brought up a few time by one of the more deranged conservative senators a few years back when the TRC was still active and not quietly being defunded

It's sickening that the idea that not everyone's experience was terrible, or that there were in some cases some isolated good things that happened, is seen by some as a valid reason to defend any part of the residential school system. Any isolated shred of good done by that system is so thoroughly outweighed by the abhorrent motivations and purpose of the system, and the volumes of vile crimes perpetrated by it, that it is completely within the bounds of reason and good taste to ignore them entirely; they are, at the very best, the fruit of a deadly poisonous tree.

In a hypothetical world, it would have been possible to run boarding schools to provide education to First Nations children who otherwise couldn't have attended school, in a way that was not utterly abhorrent. Such schools would not have condoned or allowed for the physical or sexual abuse of children; they would not have served children borderline poisonous food; they would not have prohibited the use of the students' own languages; they would not have enforced Christianity; they would not have been purposefully built away from the students' communities to limit contact with their families; they would not have introduced additional measures to keep parents from seeing their children; they would not have caused, nor covered up, any deaths that occurred; they would not have forced children to attend against the wishes of their family; they would not have used coerced student labour to operate; and, perhaps most importantly to those who claim the system had any benefit at all, they would have provided an education that was the equal of any public school in the country.

The system that did exist did none of these things, and no part of it is defensible. Denial of it should be treated no differently from Holocaust denial in Germany.

I'd be more interested in seeing an account from an administrator or teacher -- one of these "well-intentioned" ones -- that admitted and tried to come to grasp with being complicit in a grave crime against humanity.

Alternatively, I'd like to see a book written in the style of El-Akkad's "American War" to try and bring home the realities of the residential school system to a largely white, urbanized audience. Like, what if a bunch of foreign invaders just rolled into a city or town or whatever, and started stealing children to send them to, basically, prisons where they'd be beaten, sexually abused, and stripped of their culture, identity and language? Maybe that would resonate a bit more with white folks who don't want to listen to Indigenous voices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xtal posted:

It's no laughing matter.

It actually is, this is Something Awful, not your university tutorial.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Civilizing forces and the white man's burden are somehow still seen as credible ideas to a certain part of the population. Even if they believe the abuse to be abhorrent, the fundamental reasoning behind the system is something they agree with.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

pokeyman posted:

I can’t think of the word for how I feel that nobody cares about this. It’s not a surprise, but I thought we wouldn’t be so... indifferent? I mean we can’t even fund one commission? Really?

It's just a quiet strategy of not acknowledging the poo poo that happened in the past. Plus, defunding studies like these cuts off the road to reparations. They can just make a fuss over not knowing how much it'll cost and they just don't want to punish people (as if individuals are going to be paying for reparations) while quietly making sure the studies don't get done.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FaithGoldy/status/1043717585206947847

Enjoy, Toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm just waiting on the endorsement from The Toronto Sun. Until then, no one outside the internet knows who she is, but once they decide to go for it, she's the official Ford Nation candidate.

Seeing as she's now openly palling around with the premier, I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Just in case anyone is fuzzy on her background, her campaign web store is being run by ID Canada, formerly Generation Identity.

e: I bet if there's enough controversy generated over that picture, it will be the impetus for covering her.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 24, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to say "I told you so." I've been engaged in a downtown sticker war with them for like a year!

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 24, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Less CanPol related, but figured since there's some people here familiar with some of the finicky legalities in Canada, I was in here earlier complaining about dealing with DriveTest to get my Alberta license transferred to an Ontario one. So now I'm wondering....what actually are the penalties for having a license from the wrong province? I've found info that technically you're supposed to transfer it over within 90 days of moving, but I can't find anything on where you can actually get dinged if you don't. I changed residencies 5 months ago. I'm not a regular driver, I don't own a car out here, I just rent one once in a while for trips and I've never had any issues doing that so far. Current license doesn't expire till mid 2021. I guess it's technically not valid now, but....does anyone notice or care? I don't even know if cops cross reference your residency status when they look at it, although I'm assuming things might go to hell if you get involved in something that gives you demerit points.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

Less CanPol related, but figured since there's some people here familiar with some of the finicky legalities in Canada, I was in here earlier complaining about dealing with DriveTest to get my Alberta license transferred to an Ontario one. So now I'm wondering....what actually are the penalties for having a license from the wrong province? I've found info that technically you're supposed to transfer it over within 90 days of moving, but I can't find anything on where you can actually get dinged if you don't. I changed residencies 5 months ago. I'm not a regular driver, I don't own a car out here, I just rent one once in a while for trips and I've never had any issues doing that so far. Current license doesn't expire till mid 2021. I guess it's technically not valid now, but....does anyone notice or care? I don't even know if cops cross reference your residency status when they look at it, although I'm assuming things might go to hell if you get involved in something that gives you demerit points.

You would be charged with driving without a valid license which, depending on the officer, can hurt you pretty bad. Not just the ticket and points but that would drive your car insurance through the roof.

e: $200-$1000 fine, 3 year mark on your record, plus whatever your insurance goes up since they go on the assumption you have a valid license.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 24, 2018

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you got into an accident they might refuse coverage on the basis of you not having a valid license.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Frick. Aight, then.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dont know where in Ontario you moved to but the general rule of thumb in Barrie is "Go to Orillia to do anything driving related".

e: Just a warning if youre close enough to do this though; Orillia is mostly seniors, evangelicals and senior evangelicals so try to avoid the locals. Also visit a place called The Bounty for some amazing fish & chips.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 24, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you're in Sudbury go to Espanola. Don't bother with any of the restaurants though.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I dont know where in Ontario you moved to but the general rule of thumb in Barrie is "Go to Orillia to do anything driving related".

e: Just a warning if youre close enough to do this though; Orillia is mostly seniors, evangelicals and senior evangelicals so try to avoid the locals. Also visit a place called The Bounty for some amazing fish & chips.

The Mariposa Market is a pretty kickass place for food too.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

The Mariposa Market is a pretty kickass place for food too.

Oh yeah this too. And I think they have a Kawartha Dairy there too if you want some of the best ice cream ever.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I had to do the same in Ottawa after moving back to Ontario from Quebec. Having a photocopy of my previous DL didn't help. Had to come back 3 times. For various reasons, including "why does your name have accents on your birth certificate and not on your passport?"

Luckily I had access to a car, still driving all the way to Gloucester and back on my lunchtime was a challenge.

Drive Test sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is Doug Ford really going to back actual nazi Faith Goldy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's absolutely not going to apologize for or in any way walk back from having that photo taken. I doubt he needs to do anything more than that, it's not an "official" endorsement, but it's good enough.

This doesn't really hurt him with his base any more than his other bullshit has so far. He doesn't like Tory and this is a good way to piss people off that he doesn't like. It's pure Ford.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 24, 2018