Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Enterprise is loving boring, it's almost more engaging when it sucks so hard you're angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

I dunno, TATV is probably better than the Dying Dog Sex Dream episode

Clearly I'm sheltered.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Last time I tried to watch a few episodes I just got bored and did my laundry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

INT - WRITER'S ROOM - 2005

BRANNON BRAGA and RICK BERMAN are doing LINES OF BLOW off GENE'S TOMBSTONE.

BRAGA
How the gently caress do we end
this show, Rick? Jesus,
I miss TNG.

BERMAN
(hungry)
TNG, you say? I am
the steward of GENE'S
VISION, after all. Maybe
that's just what Enterprise
needs! Sasha, get John
and Marina on the phone.
I have an idea.

EXEUNT with a flourish of dubiously legal prostitutes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

Enterprise is loving boring, it's almost more engaging when it sucks so hard you're angry.

Nah, Enterprise is largely ~okay~, the problem is that it followed the immensely boring Voyager that had already poisoned the well, and no one bothered to watch the show after the first ten episodes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

fun hater spotted

I meant Civil Defense to Meridian.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s almost impressive how there isn’t a single element of TATV worth praise. Even in Enterprise’s worst episodes you can usually dig around and find something to like, but no, not TATV. It wastes Shran, it turns in the shittiest possible Riker and Troi cameos, it kills off Trip in a cheap and nonsensical way, it employs a time-jump without bothering to show any interesting character or tech growth, It sidelines the main cast in their own series finale, and then it whiffs the last loving scene of the entire series by cutting to credits before what should have been a series-defining speech.

gently caress Berman and gently caress Braga.

[some more dialog talking about how essential this speech was to the founding of the Republic]
Troi: I had to memorize this speech when I was in grammar school

[show doesn't show the speech]

I was expecting them to show a whole 5-minute speech, but I guess the people who decided that torture was necessary for a Starfleet captain to do decided speeches are for nerds

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

I meant Civil Defense to Meridian.

Oh! Yeah yeah.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, Enterprise is largely ~okay~, the problem is that it followed the immensely boring Voyager that had already poisoned the well, and no one bothered to watch the show after the first ten episodes.

"Okay" is the worst level of quality for something. I literally don't remember a single thing that happened in the Enterprise episodes I watched. Literally nothing at all. However, I totally remember the episode of Voyager where 7 of 9 fights The Rock.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s almost impressive how there isn’t a single element of TATV worth praise. Even in Enterprise’s worst episodes you can usually dig around and find something to like, but no, not TATV. It wastes Shran, it turns in the shittiest possible Riker and Troi cameos, it kills off Trip in a cheap and nonsensical way, it employs a time-jump without bothering to show any interesting character or tech growth, It sidelines the main cast in their own series finale, and then it whiffs the last loving scene of the entire series by cutting to credits before what should have been a series-defining speech.

gently caress Berman and gently caress Braga.

Tbf anything those writers would have come up with probably wouldn't have been very good.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

"Okay" is the worst level of quality for something. I literally don't remember a single thing that happened in the Enterprise episodes I watched. Literally nothing at all. However, I totally remember the episode of Voyager where 7 of 9 fights The Rock.

:agreed:

I've been watching random episodes of Enterprise and most of the time I have no memory of them even though I watched them a few years ago.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How dare you not remember the time when Reed had a lusciously homoerotic fight with the guy running the MACOs?

They should have kissed :qq:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kind of adore Enterprise, but I will admit that might be because it’s the show I nerded about online most when it was on (came to the message board game just when DS9 and Voyager were wrapping up).

It’s pretty blah in places, but it definitely has a very distinct character to it, and it loving tried in its last two seasons. Trek needed a long break at that point, but I was definitely rooting for it when it was on.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I remember the episode where they found cowboys, because that seemed silly and fun.

I also remember the episode where they went back in time to Detroit, because I know Detroit and not a speck of the city in that episode resembled Actual Detroit. For God's sake, if I'm remembering it right it ends with a panning shot of mountains in the distance.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I mean, depending on which direction you look in Detroit, you will eventually see mountains.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

I kind of adore Enterprise, but I will admit that might be because it’s the show I nerded about online most when it was on (came to the message board game just when DS9 and Voyager were wrapping up).

It’s pretty blah in places, but it definitely has a very distinct character to it, and it loving tried in its last two seasons. Trek needed a long break at that point, but I was definitely rooting for it when it was on.

:same:

Enterprise is guilty of a great many sins, but at least it (eventually) attempted to be something more than ‘TNG-lite’. Enterprise was one of the first shows I cared enough to tape each week, suffering through all four rocky seasons in real-time. I’ll always make excuses for that show.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'll jump on the defence of ENT train. I really have a soft spot for the show, despite the cringing faults, theres a good deal about it I really liked.

corn in the bible posted:

I dunno, TATV is probably better than the Dying Dog Sex Dream episode

Speaking of which, this is an episode I rather liked. Archer is a lovely diplomat who doesn't know what he's doing and lets his dog piss on their sacred trees. He spends the night with the dog while weird stuff is going on in sickbay, stubborn about the aliens, but gets over his poo poo and learns to be a better diplomat and not a hot head. I don't know, its so simple and theres no... deadly virus running rampant, no countdown to a warp core failure, no phaser trained on their ship or anything, just a sick dog and an inexperienced captain having to learn to be a better diplomat. Maybe thats boring, but to me I think it was a fun change of pace and something differently low key.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Night in Sickbay is a legit good episode. I think it's the first episode to directly address Archer's lovely entitlement and it's good to see him have to chow down on a colossal turd while smiling.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DrNutt posted:

Tbf anything those writers would have come up with probably wouldn't have been very good.

Plus, most of us like how Kor went down fighting without being shown the battle. DS9 was just better at executing on an idea.

...presumably. I've never actually seen TATV.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Night in Sickbay is a legit good episode. I think it's the first episode to directly address Archer's lovely entitlement and it's good to see him have to chow down on a colossal turd while smiling.

Its been a while since I watched this episode, but does Archer get to use a ceremonial chainsaw or am I misremembering?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TV IV: Star Trek: EXEUNT with a flourish of dubiously legal prostitutes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

RE: Night in sickbay, that one still had Phlox being a nut chasing bats around sick bay or whatever. TATV doesn't even qualify as entertainment.

It gives us a nice CGI shot of the Enterprise D at the end. I think that's the best thing I can say about that episode.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It gives us a nice CGI shot of the Enterprise D at the end. I think that's the best thing I can say about that episode.

Brent Spiner's voice-only cameo was kind of neat. v:shobon:v

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Enterprise trap sprung :unsmigghh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Yeah sure but for something that important and specific you go outside and hire an Obama speechwriter or something because you aren't an rear end in a top hat idiot moron

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

Yeah sure but for something that important and specific you go outside and hire an Obama speechwriter or something because you aren't an rear end in a top hat idiot moron

I'm sure at that point they had that kind of access and budget.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
At that point UPN was was barely holding back active contempt for the show. Season 4 almost didn’t exist lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Last time I tried to watch a few episodes I just got bored and did my laundry.

The closest vessel is the USS Enterprise. It's a laundry ship! They'll take you the rest of the way

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

At that point UPN was was barely holding back active contempt for the show. Season 4 almost didn’t exist lol

I contributed to the letter-writing campaigns for seasons 4 and (what would have been) 5, so I’m willing to accept blame for 25% of Enterprise.

In fairness, I was young and stupid.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I contributed to the letter-writing campaigns for seasons 4 and (what would have been) 5, so I’m willing to accept blame for 25% of Enterprise.

In fairness, I was young and stupid.

But did you pay money to Save Enterprise?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zaroff posted:

But did you pay money to Save Enterprise?

Nah. Even back then I knew it had zero chance of success, plus it seemed like an easy way to scam a bunch of fans. Did they ever actually refund the $2+ million they raised like they said they would?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah. Even back then I knew it had zero chance of success, plus it seemed like an easy way to scam a bunch of fans. Did they ever actually refund the $2+ million they raised like they said they would?

Maybe they just used it to film one extra episode, but they made it a love letter to the fans so it was like giving it back.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ENT, like VOY, had a really neat premise that was utterly abandoned about five minutes into the series. Such wasted opportunities.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, the whole thing was a scam. I remember they claimed a "famous Hollywood producer" was on board, leading fans to believe it was someone like Nimoy or Meyer, and then they said the guy's name was Al Vinci. It was quickly discovered that this person literally didn't exist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

ENT, like VOY, had a really neat premise that was utterly abandoned about five minutes into the series. Such wasted opportunities.
Yeah they did some stuff early on that led you to believe it would be different, like with the universal translator episode or the one a little bit after that where they are struggling to use the transporters. But within maybe 5 episodes of the pilot it settles into 'copy/replace phasers with phase cannons' and 'shields with hull plating'

I wish that show had been not-vanilla enough to at least make a main character like Reed gay instead of super forgettable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It seems really weird to me that the NX-01 didn’t have shields, considering humanity had been in space for some 90 years, meeting new species, trading, working, and living (like Mayweather’s family). No-one in all that time has given any human shield technology?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

It seems really weird to me that the NX-01 didn’t have shields, considering humanity had been in space for some 90 years, meeting new species, trading, working, and living (like Mayweather’s family). No-one in all that time has given any human shield technology?

It's been a long time since I've re-watched Enterprise, but I believe the implication was that the Vulcans were deliberately holding back the advance of Starfleet technology, because Vulcans are assholes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, we apparently terrify them because we have more than one racial trait.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Timby posted:

It's been a long time since I've re-watched Enterprise, but I believe the implication was that the Vulcans were deliberately holding back the advance of Starfleet technology, because Vulcans are assholes.

Yeah, part of one of the later seasons was transitioning the Vulcans from arrogant assholes to just arrogant (and explaining why humans would want them in the Federation to begin with).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Nah, the whole thing was a scam. I remember they claimed a "famous Hollywood producer" was on board, leading fans to believe it was someone like Nimoy or Meyer, and then they said the guy's name was Al Calavicci. It was quickly discovered that this person literally didn't exist.

Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't Al Calavicci the hologram companion in Quantum Leap?