Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bust Rodd posted:

The Olsen twins thing, like the bird that eats chips, is apparently funny to some but just a completely dead gag that Oliver insists on running into the ground that just floats by me without a giggle, forever.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Milo and POTUS posted:

This was the highlight though :) Surprised it got such a reserved reaction.

I didn't even spot it, what was it?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I'm pretty sure calling Democrats "demon rats" has been a thing for a long time, at least in online racist circles. It's definitely not the first time I've heard of it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think one of the most depressing things about this is how few Americans seem to realize that most democratic nations DON'T do this. Hell, in a lot of countries you can still vote WHILE IN PRISON.

The idea that "if you commit a crime you lose your rights" is a very uniquely American one.

even that one guy who literally detonated a car-bomb right in the centre of our government offices and shot several teenaged youth party members didn’t lose the right to vote (even though there's a law that actually opens up for a temporary revoke of his rights) and I’m weirdly proud of that fact

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good episode

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked the Toad hiding in the credits. I forget where

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ulvir posted:

even that one guy who literally detonated a car-bomb right in the centre of our government offices and shot several teenaged youth party members didn’t lose the right to vote (even though there's a law that actually opens up for a temporary revoke of his rights) and I’m weirdly proud of that fact

Same. In Australia the only limitation is that people actively serving a 3+ year sentence lose the right to vote (but regain it once they leave prison). If you're inside serving a sentence under three years, you're still required to vote.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Afro posted:

I'm pretty sure calling Democrats "demon rats" has been a thing for a long time, at least in online racist circles. It's definitely not the first time I've heard of it.

I can believe that. It's ...such a bad zinger. I'd just be sad to have 'demon rat' yelled at me by an angry cracker.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The way she emphasizes it to the camera is very much something a cringey old person would do to seem cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it'd be very interesting to juxtapose the way Facebook has been in Myanmar with how so many tech companies bend over and go full Orwell when China asks them to.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I can believe that. It's ...such a bad zinger. I'd just be sad to have 'demon rat' yelled at me by an angry cracker.

There have been so many attempts to make some kind of clever insult out of the Democratic party's name, and all of them are terrible.

And yet somehow I have heard zero attempts to do the same to the Republican party, and even most people still use the term GOP to refer to them, which is the republican party's cutesy little nickname for itself.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Gee Oh Pee already has a kind of unpleasant sound to it. I've heard 'republicunts' too, but since there's only like six women left in the party it falls a little flat.

More often, I just hear people using the phrase "The Democrat Party" disparaging which isn't so much disparaging as just kind of vaguely annoying and halting sound.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Gee Oh Pee already has a kind of unpleasant sound to it. I've heard 'republicunts' too, but since there's only like six women left in the party it falls a little flat.

More often, I just hear people using the phrase "The Democrat Party" disparaging which isn't so much disparaging as just kind of vaguely annoying and halting sound.

The most common pejorative I hear for Democrats is "Dems" at the higher end of the etiquette scale (I can't remember the last time I saw "Dems" used in anything but a negative comment about the party or its supporters), and "libtards" at the... uh, not-so-high end of the etiquette scale.

I have to say, though, watching that irritating woman say "demon rats" with not only a straight face, but with clearly genuine malice in her voice, is a just a little bit hilarious. It's like when a 3-year-old gets super-mad at you, rears back to deliver the sickest burn he can, and then calls you a poopface.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've heard rethuglicans a few times in my life but that's about it. Mostly just hear them called republicans but with that spite you can feel added to it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was watching with my wife and when I said Zuckerberg is a piece of poo poo she was like are you jealous? I just told her to keep watching and she’s like OH....oh ok.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

That one's the dumbest, since you absolutely won't notice at all until you have it explained to you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it'd be very interesting to juxtapose the way Facebook has been in Myanmar with how so many tech companies bend over and go full Orwell when China asks them to.

Look, we are staunch defenders of free speech and nothing* will change that

*Except access to one of the largest markets on the planet. In that case, gently caress free speech.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tarlibone posted:

The most common pejorative I hear for Democrats is "Dems" at the higher end of the etiquette scale (I can't remember the last time I saw "Dems" used in anything but a negative comment about the party or its supporters), and "libtards" at the... uh, not-so-high end of the etiquette scale.

I have to say, though, watching that irritating woman say "demon rats" with not only a straight face, but with clearly genuine malice in her voice, is a just a little bit hilarious. It's like when a 3-year-old gets super-mad at you, rears back to deliver the sickest burn he can, and then calls you a poopface.

I say dems just as a lazy way of saying democrats. I do hate them, but not in the way you're getting at.

"democrat party" and "demon rats" are both old dittohead poo poo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don’t even get Democrat party. Is there something I’m missing or are they just getting the name wrong on purpose to “own the libs”?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GutBomb posted:

I don’t even get Democrat party. Is there something I’m missing or are they just getting the name wrong on purpose to “own the libs”?

That's it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lycus posted:

That's it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The theory is that democracy and the democratic process is a good thing, but the democrat party has nothing to do with those, so use the noun instead of the adjective blah blah old man blah blah. I suppose the pro-democracy sentiment is better than the fascist stuff that's more common these days, but it's still blindly partisan garbage.

I don't even see the point in trying to skew the literal name of the party into a slur. They proudly have a donkey as their mascot from the days when people were calling Jackson "Jackass". That's rich material for ridicule right there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The theory is that democracy and the democratic process is a good thing, but the democrat party has nothing to do with those, so use the noun instead of the adjective blah blah old man blah blah. I suppose the pro-democracy sentiment is better than the fascist stuff that's more common these days, but it's still blindly partisan garbage.

I don't even see the point in trying to skew the literal name of the party into a slur. They proudly have a donkey as their mascot from the days when people were calling Jackson "Jackass". That's rich material for ridicule right there.

Do the names "Democrat" and "Republican" even have anything to do with democracy vs. republicanism? Like I'm pretty sure it has never been part of the Democratic agenda to convert the country to a purer direct democracy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
That Facebook topic was rough. I typically am anti-businesses censoring anything on their sites, but maybe it should be different in other countries? Then again...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do the names "Democrat" and "Republican" even have anything to do with democracy vs. republicanism? Like I'm pretty sure it has never been part of the Democratic agenda to convert the country to a purer direct democracy.

The first party was the Democratic-Republican party and then it split

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hear ya but Facebook is a business they have every right to censor and should if they cared about anything other than greed. The worst thing about the internet is giving people anonymity to be evil and when there’s no checks on it that’s what happens cause people are shitholes.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
How is an SA goon aghast about censorship, on a site where people traditionally were banned every time it was funny to do so and permabanned whenever they seemed like an rear end in a top hat

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Invalid Validation posted:

The way she emphasizes it to the camera is very much something a cringey old person would do to seem cool.

That's exactly what's happening, and why it's so compellingly awful. You can just see her looking at the word "democrats" and getting all excited. All you have to do is change one letter! Democrats is only one letter away from demonrats! It's hilarious, right? Such a sick burn. They're never gonna live this one down!

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I got curious and searched on an old gun forum I used to read for the word "demonrat"

The oldest I could come up with was 2013:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=10365240&postcount=26 posted:

It's so sad that people think we have 2A rights. We haven't had 2A rights for a very long time. We have 2A privileges that the governmernt allows us to have. You don't have to have permission to exercise a right. When the government can tell you that you can't do something it is no longer a right. especially here in the USSK our 2A privilege is very close to being infringed out of existence. I keep seeing people saying we are winning. As much as I appreciate all the hard work that good people are doing to keep our 2A privileges it seems when 1 case is won our demonrat legislature just adds 10 more new unconstitutional laws to fight. I have no faith in the corrupt SCOTUS we have now and if we lose 1 or 2 justices our 2A privileges are as good as gone.

Again I'm almost positive I read it even earlier than that but not sure where.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Afro posted:

I got curious and searched on an old gun forum I used to read for the word "demonrat"

The oldest I could come up with was 2013:

Again I'm almost positive I read it even earlier than that but not sure where.

Again, this is a dittohead thing and predates the internet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How is an SA goon aghast about censorship, on a site where people traditionally were banned every time it was funny to do so and permabanned whenever they seemed like an rear end in a top hat

Because we have a right to FREE SPEECH :byodood:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Sigh... can we come to your front lawn to loudly discuss the specifics of the latest funny or perhaps insult people's clothes for no good reason at all? We are currently on Lowtax' metaphorical front lawn, where he can tell is what is or is not allowed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

That Facebook topic was rough. I typically am anti-businesses censoring anything on their sites, but maybe it should be different in other countries? Then again...

I am interested in what measures the burmese government took to deal with the mass disinformation going on with Facebook, and whether they had to petition facebook to take action.

I think usually a traditional media source spewing blatant lies and encouraging genocide is a very clear example of speech that needs to be curtailed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GutBomb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because Democrat is a person and Democratic is how we run our government, so they say Democrat party so it sounds like a party of Democrats, the people we've been saying suck forever, and not Democratic party which sounds like a party run democratically.

Right-wingers are crazy good at language warfare.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I am interested in what measures the burmese government took to deal with the mass disinformation going on with Facebook, and whether they had to petition facebook to take action.

I think usually a traditional media source spewing blatant lies and encouraging genocide is a very clear example of speech that needs to be curtailed.

The government was/is busy enthusiastically committing the genocide

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea they totally want ethnic cleansing, it’s a bad place to live.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This week, for the first time I can remember, LWT dropped format and spent an entire episode talking about the story of the day. If you're one of the five people not following the Kavanaugh mess, you should definitely watch. It's a good summary of the most important political story since Nov. 2016.

Edit: the whole thing is up on their youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opi8X9hQ7q8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving hell Gritty is terrifying

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On the same topic, here's a pretty good article that goes into further detail about just how weak and incredible Kavanaugh's testimony was: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/how-we-know-kavanaugh-is-lying

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

John seemed absolutely furious this week. I know he's always angry or upset about the main story, but this week just seemed like another level entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We all should be. Like, this is storm the castle level poo poo. This man cannot sit on the highest court in the land and he likely shouldn't even be a federal judge. The Republicans are going to ram him through however and they are doing it for no other reason than "gently caress you Dems."

It's the ultimate expression of gently caress the other side first, what's good for the country is distant last. The only way to repair what's being done here is to impose Supreme Court term limits and that's never going to happen in our lifetime.

• Locked thread