Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I read an article a while back that gave a pretty strong recommendation to using dips either a lead up to doing strict pull-ups and or using them as an accessory on the off day.

Also accessory work absolutely helps all the main lifts.

Do accessory work if you can fit it into your schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Helios Grime what the gently caress are you talking about

Of course you would prescribe flyes to get better at bench, this is common to pretty much every bench program (including Sheiko etc)

Carryover is a thing, making the prime movers for a lift bigger & stronger is going to help other lifts that use those prime movers, unless you are like Andrey Malanichev or something

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I thought specificity was a thing more than carryover is a thing

Which one is more of a thing though? A question for the ages

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The more of a beginner you are the more general carryover there is.

If you literally can't do a pullup lat pulldowns are going to have a nice carryover. Maybe not as much as banded/assisted pull-ups but still fine. The more pull-ups you can do the less useful they will be.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

The more of a beginner you are the more general carryover there is.

If you literally can't do a pullup lat pulldowns are going to have a nice carryover. Maybe not as much as banded/assisted pull-ups but still fine. The more pull-ups you can do the less useful they will be.

Wouldn’t it make sense then to just ignore anything that wasn’t pull-ups, and only do pull-ups, when you want to do more pull-ups? Assisted or otherwise

I mean yeah the lat pull down is kinda a gimped pull-up but I’d personally go with assisted pull-up machine because they do feel different

Edit: I bought one of those home pull-up bars and put it on a door and every time I crossed it I did a pull-up, but after a while I just used another door

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wouldn’t it make sense then to just ignore anything that wasn’t pull-ups, and only do pull-ups, when you want to do more pull-ups? Assisted or otherwise

I mean yeah the last pull down is kinda a gimped pull-up but I’d personally go with assisted pull-up machine because they do feel different

Honestly everyone is different but for me I won’t train a main lift every day so for me it makes sense to do the accessory stuff on the off days.

I know there are theories about putting in more work on main lifts but 3-4 days a week of hard stuff is what works for me along with 3 days of accessory work.

If you can work pull-ups every day without blowing your self out please do but not everyone is able to do that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly everyone is different but for me I won’t train a main lift every day so for me it makes sense to do the accessory stuff on the off days.

I know there are theories about putting in more work on main lifts but 3-4 days a week of hard stuff is what works for me along with 3 days of accessory work.

If you can work pull-ups every day without blowing your self out please do but not everyone is able to do that.

Oh I can’t do main lifts every day either, I usually go near failure and then rest a few days...

however I’ve heard from a couple of coaches (Firas Zahabi most recently) that maybe it’s better to do the stuff you want to do every day at 50%, because over time you end up doing say 300 pull-ups a month compared to 50 or whatever

So like instead of doing 3 sets of 8 pull-ups once or twice a week you’d do 2-3 sets of 5 every day ? And it won’t increase muscle size but you’ll be able to do more

I mean it sounds interesting but who knows

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

I mean yeah the lat pull down is kinda a gimped pull-up but I’d personally go with assisted pull-up machine because they do feel different

Edit: I bought one of those home pull-up bars and put it on a door and every time I crossed it I did a pull-up, but after a while I just used another door

Variation is one of the principles of strength training - eventually just doing the same thing over and over will give you issues. Also fatigue might mean some muscles are undertrained compared to others.

Also if you are a newer lifter you might not have a well rounded musculature, especially in the shoulders, and so could benefit from variation to build up those other muscles that might not be trained just by pullups alone

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Muscle confusion bro. You gotta outsmart your muscles with your brain!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

barkbell posted:

Muscle confusion bro. You gotta outsmart your muscles with your brain!

My muscles ARE my brains !

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My muscles ARE my brains !

That explains your posting. :smug:

I joke, but it was too easy to pass up

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

:argh:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I feel like maybe there is a middle ground between full on muscle confusion and literally doing only squat bench and deadlift forever

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Specificity motherfuckers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Specificity is the first scientific principle or strength training, but it's not the only principle

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
lat pull downs specifically train the lats which are specifically used in pullups

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Listen this whole discussion is irrelevant I don't have a lat pulldown machine in my gym. I've got pull-up bars, barbells, weighted belts and rings, so I'm going to use some combination of those things.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Weighted pull-ups kick rear end. I progressively load them like any other lift - when you can do reps with a plate on the belt, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to knock out a ton unweighted.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

dantheman650 posted:

Weighted pull-ups kick rear end. I progressively load them like any other lift - when you can do reps with a plate on the belt, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to knock out a ton unweighted.

I was kind of wondering whether I could just do it like 5/3/1 lol

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was kind of wondering whether I could just do it like 5/3/1 lol

You more or less can, but if you want to be real precise you’ll weigh yourself every time and use total body weight + extra weight and increment that total to ensure consistent increases. Or just do whatever. It’s also super annoying to load a weight belt with some weird combination of plates.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

You more or less can, but if you want to be real precise you’ll weigh yourself every time and use total body weight + extra weight and increment that total to ensure consistent increases. Or just do whatever. It’s also super annoying to load a weight belt with some weird combination of plates.

I'm the guy using comical microplates to load exactly 23.75 lbs on the weight belt because I had an extra big breakfast this morning.

I can't imagine the most anal person actually doing that... right?

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 25, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been doing 5/3/1 for about 6 weeks now, and I have successfully reduced my OHP 1rm from 135 to barely 110

I don’t think this is how it’s supposed to work

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've run average to savage since January and I just took weight off my training maxes because I just don't loving feel like trying anymore.

I get the impression it's a really good program if you aren't a pussy, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dong Quixote posted:

I'm the guy using comical microplates to load exactly 23.75 lbs on the weight belt because I had an extra big breakfast this morning.

I can't imagine the most anal person actually doing that... right?

Do people do that on 5/3/1 bench when the % calculation spits out a fraction? Of course not.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

Been doing 5/3/1 for about 6 weeks now, and I have successfully reduced my OHP 1rm from 135 to barely 110

Maybe you started too heavy? Wendler recommends starting lighter than you'd expect to build up slow - like, glacial. Not enough sleep/food, or maybe overdoing it on the accessory lifts? I don't know, just spitballing here.

I'm still newbie 5/3/1 myself at only 4 cycles in, and my amrap sets are waaaay inconsistent but I can usually pin my rough days down to exhaustion/lack of nutrition. Still doesn't really help that mental tweak of missing my calculated amrap set goal by 3 reps one week and then turning around and pulling 245 x 12 off the floor the next (shut up, they're MY reps and I'm not big). I feel like at that point I might as well be doing volume work or just amp my training max up by like 20 lbs a week instead of 10, but then I'd be missing the point of the program as per its author

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ElectricSheep posted:

Maybe you started too heavy? Wendler recommends starting lighter than you'd expect to build up slow - like, glacial. Not enough sleep/food, or maybe overdoing it on the accessory lifts? I don't know, just spitballing here.

These are all highly likely possibilities.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
my dudes, i think the deads DO carry over into squats a decent amount. I managed to hit 270x1 after doing some lighter work sets tonight. This is only my 3rd session back squatting. I stopped there though because I didn't actually want to max out but this is for sure way stronger than where I left off when I quit squatting a while back. Also I didn't just feel stronger, I didn't feel like I was being crushed by the weight as much if that makes sense. I guess working up to 4 plate deadlift taught some good bracing mechanics or something.

Also hows it look for a heavy, getting back into the groove again single? My knees/back all felt decent. I definitely felt a bit of a good morning on the 270 rep though whereas the others beforehand felt smoother with hips/chest both rising. The form check in ylls is basically dead btw so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJBm1RYeRMU&feature=youtu.be

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

my dudes, i think the deads DO carry over into squats a decent amount. I managed to hit 270x1 after doing some lighter work sets tonight. This is only my 3rd session back squatting. I stopped there though because I didn't actually want to max out but this is for sure way stronger than where I left off when I quit squatting a while back. Also I didn't just feel stronger, I didn't feel like I was being crushed by the weight as much if that makes sense. I guess working up to 4 plate deadlift taught some good bracing mechanics or something.

Also hows it look for a heavy, getting back into the groove again single? My knees/back all felt decent. I definitely felt a bit of a good morning on the 270 rep though whereas the others beforehand felt smoother with hips/chest both rising. The form check in ylls is basically dead btw so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJBm1RYeRMU&feature=youtu.be

Looks real clean to me - upper back looked tight, depth looked good. Solid rep imo. Yeah you can see your hips shoot up a bit first but I don't think it ever gets to the point where you could call it a good morning.

Edit: looking at it again I don't even think your hips really rise. Looks solid to me.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 25, 2018

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Weren't you doing a lot of leg press too?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A little hip raise is going to be a thing that happens in any squat that is heavy to you. It's just something you have to accept and fight against best you can.

Data Graham posted:

Acual 1rm or e1rm? You might just suck at amraps for overhead. If most of your volume before 531 was using sets of five going to 6-10 rep amraps is going to take some time to get used to. It's only been two cycles? So that's only like 3-4 amrap sets in six weeks that are actually heavy?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Killing Loaf posted:

Weren't you doing a lot of leg press too?

Yeah, once a week but I think only for the past few weeks, it's not been long. Then I've been doing leg extensions more regularly for some direct quad work. Most of my lower strength is just from deadlifting once, sometimes twice a week.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone have a link to LSU’s base ten strength program

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I finished my workout yesterday with DB pullovers on a flat bench and rope tricep extensions

When I finished with the rope I went to the bench, and a dude unhooked the rope and changed all the settings. So I went to use the other machine (which was completely free)

While I was using the other machine he took the bench i was using, even though there was a free one right next to it.

So I got right back on when he was done and dropped a juicy fart right where his head was going.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
When's the wedding

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

awww yeah found it

this is a cool str program

http://jaredenderton.com/lsu-shreveport-lifting-program/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Going to a new gym in Knoxville. It’s a globo gym with a really well equipped oly and “cross fitness” area

Really love watching the people trying to low key watch me squat and push press, then look on in horror as I struggle with 135 on the bench.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Charles Poliquin dead at 57.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
LMAO the dude that claimed all sorts of snake oil ways to stay healthy?

Gotta eat emu that have been raised in Antarctica, only they have the right balance of omega 17 fats.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Did Dom die too cause there hasn't been a brosciencelife video in months

RIP died trying to suck his own balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Hoping for an update from Sludge Tank. Hopefully he didn’t fry his CNS :ohdear: