Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
They should've done Crossed instead of TWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

They originally WERE thinking about making it an anthology show but that went out the window when Frank Darabont left the show. He's more talented than anyone else that's ever been involved with the show so they majorly shot themselves in the foot there.

Shot themselves in the foot... all the way to the bank! They've had one of the most popular and profitable shows on television for eight years by keeping what works and not messing with the formula because they know their audience doesn't want to be challenged with too many new ideas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LifeLynx posted:

Shot themselves in the foot... all the way to the bank! They've had one of the most popular and profitable shows on television for eight years by keeping what works and not messing with the formula because they know their audience doesn't want to be challenged with too many new ideas.

Seriously, every show runner probably dreams of landing a show where the audience couldn't give less of a poo poo about anything other than the show being on and having new episodes.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I quit TWD after getting tired of wondering where they were finding time to continually wax and wash their cars mid-zombie apocalypse.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I quit TWD after they spent all season on a farm looking for a kid and it turned out she was in the loving barn the whole time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, every show runner probably dreams of landing a show where the audience couldn't give less of a poo poo about anything other than the show being on and having new episodes.

The whole point in trying to be a creative is to be creative.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So no.

It’s not. Even the biggest hacks don’t want that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

Just as often it’s a job and the point is to make make money and not kill yourself working

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TheManWithNoName posted:

I quit TWD after they spent all season on a farm looking for a kid and it turned out she was in the loving barn the whole time.

Highly disappointed that they cut the reaction shot where Rick Grimes slaps his forehead, sending his hat shooting up off of his head to the sound of a kazoo.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Third Man is on netflix, that's one of my favorite old movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Booyah- posted:

The Third Man is on netflix, that's one of my favorite old movies.

It's perfect.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

So no.

No one in this industry begrudges a steady check, otherwise The Simpsons would've been cancelled twenty years ago. You'd love to be creative but you'd also like to live in a house, I imagine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No one in this industry begrudges a steady check, otherwise The Simpsons would've been cancelled twenty years ago. You'd love to be creative but you'd also like to live in a house, I imagine.

I never got the anger out of artists selling out. poo poo, I'm a professional artist and I would sell the gently caress out if I could. I have student loans to pay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Blessed is the actor that gets to take her time and choose what projects are right for them or that they truly believe in or whatever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alterian posted:

I never got the anger out of artists selling out. poo poo, I'm a professional artist and I would sell the gently caress out if I could. I have student loans to pay.

I've got quite a few musician friends, and by far the happiest (and most financially stable) one is the guy in 4-5 different cover bands.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Finished Mandy yesterday, it's pretty good. Nice visual trip, the second half kinda breaks with the stoned vibe of the first half, and goes for almost slap-stick-like brutality.

I guess if the whole film were just this psychological hallucinatory thriller, I'd have liked it better, but that's just me. (then it would also be like Shining, I guess)

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

CelticPredator posted:

CelticPredator posted:

So no.

Like, what? Have you heard about these things called CBS television shows?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would say "television shows" full stop.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

So no.

I mean, if I were a showrunner on a successful show, and I somehow knew that the audience didn't care how good it was just so long as it was on and producing new episodes, I would take that as license to just do whatever I wanted.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

mike12345 posted:

Finished Mandy yesterday, it's pretty good. Nice visual trip, the second half kinda breaks with the stoned vibe of the first half, and goes for almost slap-stick-like brutality.

I guess if the whole film were just this psychological hallucinatory thriller, I'd have liked it better, but that's just me. (then it would also be like Shining, I guess)

Mandy's pretty great and I like the huge split in tone between the first and second halves. I'm not sure the movie would've worked if it was just one or the other for two solid hours. I also believe wholeheartedly that it is one of Nic Cage's best performances.

It's worth mentioning that it's a paid rental, and it's still in some theaters scattered around the US. I can confirm that it's worth the trip to the theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, if I were a showrunner on a successful show, and I somehow knew that the audience didn't care how good it was just so long as it was on and producing new episodes, I would take that as license to just do whatever I wanted.

:yeah:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sure, you say that, but you submit one Big Bang Theory script about Sheldon having sex with - sorry, making love to - a German Shepard and boom, you’re blacklisted.

cowards

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got quite a few musician friends, and by far the happiest (and most financially stable) one is the guy in 4-5 different cover bands.

If you're fine as a creative making mediocre stuff that doesn't challenge anything. There is nothing wrong with that. But don't expect people to think you're a great artist. That's what selling out is. You sell out your vision and creativity so that you can have money. Again nothing wrong with it ethically but at the end of the day it's still mediocre.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A lot of it is probably network execs, also. I hear all the time about show runners who step down because their "vision" doesn't match up with what the network wants. Well now the network is still making the same millions on the show because they're not too proud to churn out the same episode sixteen times a year, and the former show runner has to suffer the indignity of having the same yacht for two years in a row because they have to gamble on a new TV series becoming a hit.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

A lot of it is probably network execs, also. I hear all the time about show runners who step down because their "vision" doesn't match up with what the network wants. Well now the network is still making the same millions on the show because they're not too proud to churn out the same episode sixteen times a year, and the former show runner has to suffer the indignity of having the same yacht for two years in a row because they have to gamble on a new TV series becoming a hit.

While there are some high profile exceptions that you hear about — e.g., Frank Darabont with TWD, Bryan Fuller and American Gods — showrunners are often just elevated writers who came up with the concept, or directors / producers that are brought in to helm the ship. They’re rarely the ones cashing the big checks like you’re imagining. Usually that’s the Executive Producers (although sometimes that’s the same person). In the over-saturated TV market it’s really difficult to take a show from inception to season 1 and then keep it running for lots of seasons. Especially as network TV represents a smaller portion of production every year.

I think the number of show runners abandoning an idea they originated because of creative differences is pretty small. And if you’re a writer or director at heart it’s much more enticing to try your luck with your own material than running a difficult show for someone else. Even if the paycheck is generous it might be less than you think, and it’s an all-consuming job. Most people in the industry are fans just as much as the critics and viewers and want to make their own mark. And of course, no one wants to work on a bad show, but it still takes a lot of effort to make one.

But Hundu is still right, that most people dream of having steady work at that level. The discussion is theoretical for 99% of people. I’m just giving some sympathy to those who are running shows.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Prime has a show called ‘Sentosha: Battle Wheels’.

The cast is apparently all Japanese comedians/celebrities so we have no idea who they are, but it’s a goofy demolition derby type show.

You can skip the first episode if you just want to get to the car challenges, because that one is just introducing everyone.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Prime has a show called ‘Sentosha: Battle Wheels’.

The cast is apparently all Japanese comedians/celebrities so we have no idea who they are, but it’s a goofy demolition derby type show.

You can skip the first episode if you just want to get to the car challenges, because that one is just introducing everyone.

Is it like a live action Wacky Races?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ElMudo posted:

Is it like a live action Wacky Races?

I considered calling it that in my post, actually.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I considered calling it that in my post, actually.

I'm sold.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And it has a ninja paint brigade.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sweet Norsemen S2 is on Netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

If you have Shudder (and now is really the season to have Shudder) you should really check out Revenge. It's a tense rape-revenge flick with fantastic cinematography and lots of well-deserved gore. And the rape mostly happens off-screen if you're squeamish about that sort of thing. Seems like it would be a real crowd-pleaser despite the subject matter.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Friendly reminder that VRV has Shudder's catalogue plus a ton of other stuff. It's a really good service.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

tweet my meat posted:

Friendly reminder that VRV has Shudder's catalogue plus a ton of other stuff. It's a really good service.

Yes but Shudder has Joe Bob Briggs doing monster movie marathons.

If they can just get a show for Gilbert Gottfried and Rhonda Shear the channel will be complete.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yes but Shudder has Joe Bob Briggs doing monster movie marathons.

If they can just get a show for Gilbert Gottfried and Rhonda Shear the channel will be complete.

Shudder is actually a sub-channel that comes VRV, so you get the Joe Bob stuff too.

I think there's a little bit of catalog lag, and the UI isn't as nice, but at least VRV has a PS4 app.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Shudder is actually a sub-channel that comes VRV, so you get the Joe Bob stuff too.

Does VRV have the same restrictions as Amazon when it comes to Shudder?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Does VRV have the same restrictions as Amazon when it comes to Shudder?

Yes and no. It doesn't have the live stream, so when they do stuff like Joe Bob you have to wait for them to put it up as a series, but VRV is usually a lot quicker to update with new movies than Amazon is.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finished Godless on Netflix the other day and it was... OK. I felt it was let down by the final gunfight - kind of a disappointing mess of action cliches. I guess everything can’t be Unforgiven but it really took me out of it; I think a modern series needs to be a bit more grounded to rise to the top. The cast being primarily female was refreshing for a Western.

Finished up Ash vs Evil Dead yesterday after being stalled for months halfway though season 2. The last two episodes were worth it but I probably won’t bother watching season 3 when it hits Netflix.

Working on finishing Black Mirror S4 now after also abandoning it for a while (trying to wrap up things before I switch to another service for a while) and I really, really hate episode 3. The tech hook is lame nonsense and the main character is utterly unsympathetic. Not sure I’m going to bother with the rest of it after that; the only episode I’ve really heard mentioned in this season was the first one. Has this show run its course at this point?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Godless was pretty mediocre imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The climax fight was the worst part of Godless, but it did never do everything it could've done with the town.