Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but cost of living will have to be taken into account. In one of the major cities 35,000 will pay rent and a cup of coffee.

When I moved to Stockholm about 8-9 years ago I made around 28k. Then I switched jobs and made 33k, which slowly grew to 35k. Now, I was very fortunate with regards to apartments, and found one through a contact where I paid the first-hand rent of just over 5000/month, and that meant I had enough for a very comfortable lifestyle with a lot of disposable income, especially when I made 35k. Sure, single young man with no commitments, but still, if there were cheap rental apartments, it would be absolutely fine.

Today I make far more than that because the programming business is absolutely loving crazy and makes no sense whatsoever, I have way more money than I know what to do with and I voted V because they're the only alternative that would actually raise my taxes. Tax the gently caress out of the tech industry in general, they have monstrous revenue that they hide in tax paradises while employing basically nobody.

Also:

quote:

Or the fact that tax income increased during Alliansen. There is an upper level on how much taxation you can do.
gently caress off with this dumb rear end loving laffo curve argument

I'm 95% certain I've seen the first assertion (tax income increased during alliansen's years in government) debunked too, let me see if I can find that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

McCloud posted:

As a plus side, this means the dissolution of blockpolitics if KD and M abandon C and L....right?

This depends on what you mean by plus.

Considering that L and C are closer to M and KD politically on most matters apart from immigration than ever before, and in the case of C to the right of M in economic matters, there is a rather distinct possibility that what it will get you is the strict immigration policies of SD+S+M+KD and the right wing economic policy of C+L+M+KD with SD support.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

Is it really? That sounds waaay high. The number I can find is 307k per year or 25.6k per month.

It kind of is, for employed people that is. 25.6k should include pensioners, unemployed etc. Essentially all income divided by all people in the subset.
Scratch that. It's true if you're looking at full time employed people. The difference seems to be that the SCB number is adjusted for 40h/week.

SCB tracks average salary for employed people as well. The national median is 30k, the average is just above 33k. The stockholm average is about 38k but i cant find the median anywhere :saddowns:

Anyway, hounding those who make a bit more than the average, when capital gains and property taxes are such a freebie in comparison, is not good optics for a lot of people. I certainly make more than 35k but im still turbofucked by the property market.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 25, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://arbetet.se/2018/08/27/ledare-special-sa-tommer-alliansens-skattepolitik-var-valfard/

the state tax revenue rose during alliansen's years! laffer was right!!!

(except the rise in absolute numbers was entirely due to inflation and population growth, if you correct for those the tax income actually fell. of course you don't get higher tax income by lowering taxes. you idiot. you absolute moron.)

The Swedish tax rate is actually very unremarkable for people around the median income - it's about average for the OECD countries. The system isn't exceptionally progressive either. All there is that makes exceptionally high income people like Cardiac froth with rage is a very high top marginal tax rate, so it's expensive for their employers to make their income even exceptionally higher. Instead we have all kinds of luxury tax breaks on services for rich people (like RUT/ROT, tax credits for electric vehicles, etc) and a very low corporate tax rate. Highest tax rates in the world tho???? :qq:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 25, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OECD posted:

The tax wedge is the combined central and sub-central government income tax plus employee and employer social security contribution taxes, as a percentage of labour costs defined as gross wage earnings plus employer social security contributions. The tax wedge includes cash transfers.

highest tax rates in the world :qq:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beeswax posted:

Having lived in Stockholm for 5 years while studying/temping/being unemployed, this is absolutely not true.
Have you given thought to the possibility that 35k buys you nothing because it all gets snapped up by people making more, and so an increase in marginal rate taxation would benefit people in that position?

TheFluff posted:

https://arbetet.se/2018/08/27/ledare-special-sa-tommer-alliansens-skattepolitik-var-valfard/

the state tax income rose during alliansen's years! laffer was right!!!

(except the rise in absolute numbers was entirely due to inflation and population growth, if you correct for those the tax income actually fell. of course you don't get higher tax income by lowering taxes. you idiot. you absolute moron.)

The Swedish tax rate is actually very unremarkable for people around the median income - it's about average for the OECD countries. The system isn't exceptionally progressive either. All there is that makes exceptionally high income people like Cardiac froth with rage is a very high top marginal tax rate, so it's expensive for their employers to make their income even exceptionally higher. Instead we have all kinds of luxury tax breaks on services for rich people (like RUT/ROT, tax credits for electric vehicles, etc) and a very low corporate tax rate. Highest tax rates in the world tho???? :qq:
Yeah for people making normal money (even dual income households) the taxes aren't even crazy. My effective income tax rate went up by low single digit compared to the netherlands, and I'm pretty sure my compared buying power went up, especially once we got kids.

People asking for less taxes are universally FYGM numnuts.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Anyway, hounding those who make a bit more than the average, when capital gains and property taxes are such a freebie in comparison, is not good optics for a lot of people. I certainly make more than 35k but im still turbofucked by the property market.
porque no los dos friendo.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 25, 2018

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Have you given thought to the possibility that 35k buys you nothing because it all gets snapped up by people making more, and so an increase in marginal rate taxation would benefit people in that position?

No idea what this is about

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

porque no los dos friendo.

I'm a single schmuck trying to save up some money dammit :ssh:

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Palme shot first

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fox Cunning posted:

Palme shot first

hey I know that band

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beeswax posted:

No idea what this is about
There's less poo poo you can afford, because people richer than you can afford disproportionate amounts of it, because they're not taxed enough.

Things like interest rate payment deductions are a good example, where they reduce the state's tax income (direct effect) but also effectively act as a barrier to entry for real estate ownership (everyone pays more, so people entering the market can afford less), with the double whammy of being regressive up to a ridiculous point (richer people get more deduction by buying more expensive real estate).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, just not sure how it relates to what I wrote. I was saying that life, even in Stockholm, is not as expensive as some would claim. :)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Stockholm City is loving cursed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
How does Stockholm differ from København?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

For one. Stockholm isn't built within 30km of a nuclear power plant :smug:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Fewer Danes = better than

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

More hills, more expensive alcohol, proper metro, less rockabilly hairdos, a lot more anxious hipsterism

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Beeswax posted:

More hills

Man, yeah, this place is flat. The tallest building in *Denmark* (Herlev Hospital) is a medium-sized apartment building for God's sake. Still, cycling yay.

The CPH metro is ok, once they complete the ring loop. But the above-ground sections suffer from nearly zero airflow, so unless it's late-fall to early-spring, you bake.

Do Swedes know how to walk in crowds? Danes just don't. Walking down Stroget, people just walk into you, stop in front of you suddenly, etc.

I mean it's a nice place but some stuff stands out.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Stockholm could really benefit from stealing Copenhagens bikepaths and christiania.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Mata posted:

Stockholm could really benefit from stealing Copenhagens bikepaths and christiania.

A common comment is that Christiania really isn't what people imagine it is, any more.

Gi' mig Danmark tilbage, etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Do Swedes know how to walk in crowds? Danes just don't. Walking down Stroget, people just walk into you, stop in front of you suddenly, etc.

God yes. I used to go there a lot when record stores were still a thing and this was the worst part.

Rust Martialis posted:

A common comment is that Christiania really isn't what people imagine it is, any more.

Yeah, gangs control the trade completely now and the ambiance can be pretty oppressive sometimes. Things were much more friendly and laidback a decade ago. You can thank the Ministry of Justice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah Stockholm is basically the worst Swedish city for biking. Drivers are real aggressive too.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Try a Norwegian city instead. Everything's more expensive, the weather's worse, biking is harder and not highly facilitated, and public transportation, while decent if it's one of the bigger cities, is often relatively expensive.

Also both the rail and road network is pretty drat fragile in general, an accident along one of the major arteries can easily cripple the traffic in an entire region, especially in the West. If you're driving then you'll get to experience some real neat misery.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 25, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

awfully pretty though

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Randarkman posted:

Try a Norwegian city instead. Everything's more expensive, the weather's worse, biking is harder and not highly facilitated, and public transportation, while decent if it's one of the bigger cities, is often relatively expensive.

Also both the rail and road network is pretty drat fragile in general, an accident along one of the major arteries can easily cripple the traffic in an entire region, especially in the West. If you're driving then you'll get to experience some real neat misery.
I'm just back from an academic visit to the middle of the UK so I'm fully loving aware of how lovely other places have it. This lady pointed at a park and lovingly described how her daughter had learned to bike there, and I wasn't enough of an rear end in a top hat to point out that was because the streets were in no way safe for adults on bikes, let alone children.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So apparently a coalition that is supported by V will not be tolerated by the parliament.
That is todays lesson in politics.

And Alliansens message is pretty clear in saying that S is welcome to collaborate with them.
But apparently block politics is only ok if S does it.

Gee, citing an editorial that blatantly accepted S lies during the election campaign.

TheFluff posted:

Lol of us two, you are the bourgeoise communist who can afford to vote V.

And I guess I should have said income tax (where if I recall arbetsgivaravgiften is not included), which is interesting since it is a tax that your employer pays (which an employee cost both the salary +33% more).
And I guess SVT are also wrong, since they questioned Löfven on exactly this during the election campaign.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2018

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
S arent going to be a loving support vote for the right, and they shouldn't.

They have no reason not to force a settlement given the state of parliament after the final vote count. And since SD as a supporting party is the likely preferred choice more so than sharing minister seats with S this will not head to reelection unless C and L becomes so pissed they vote on the red/green budget to gently caress over SD and M.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Gee, citing an editorial that blatantly accepted S lies during the election campaign.
That's what came up first in a cursory googling, but it's not the original source where I saw it first. If you consider Arbetet to be fake news, then would you accept the testimony of an economist PhD at Lund university?

https://twitter.com/drbergh/status/1035138354285821952

If you don't like that either, here's another Twitter thread with a lot more numbers and details, by another economist:

https://twitter.com/ptrgerlach/status/1032138809369141248

Unfortunately though that latter one is by a social democrat so it's probably FAKE NEWS too. Sad!

Cardiac posted:

And I guess I should have said income tax (where if I recall arbetsgivaravgiften is not included), which is interesting since it is a tax that your employer pays (which an employee cost both the salary +33% more).
The OECD numbers I cited are income tax as a percentage of the employer's total wage payments, including employer social security contributions. It's almost as if you conveniently ignored that I quoted a bit of text from the source statistics page that explicitly says exactly that, huh. I went straight for OECD's stats database but even if you go to a noted tax-complainer-funded source like Svenskt Näringsliv's ekonomifakta.se they will cite the exact same numbers at you, including arbetsgivaravgift (employer social security contributions, in OECD terms). They use OECD's stats database as a source, even.

Another number that gets thrown around a lot is tax revenue as a percentage of GDP. It's more or less completely useless since GDP in itself is a highly problematic fictive number that pretty much means nothing.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 25, 2018

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Lol at your boss claiming you make 690k+ a year.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

As someone who moved to DK from Canada, all I know about tax rates is that after a 33% raise moving here (in absolute salary terms) I make about 7% less after taxes. I'm fine with that.

The Danes who move to Malmø to pay less for expensive cars just strike me as crazy. If you stay there and have kids, they will go to Swedish schools, and the idea of their kids being/speaking Swedish just drives Danish parents craaaaaaaaaazy, based on several conversations with people here.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
That's not how marginal taxes work, but I do know that Denmark is a huge cluster gently caress with taxes. Aren't they making another new revenue service?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Cardiac posted:

I dont even like V but what the gently caress does this even mean

The gently caress is a better alternative for poor / working poor?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

zokie posted:

That's not how marginal taxes work, but I do know that Denmark is a huge cluster gently caress with taxes. Aren't they making another new revenue service?

I made more after tax in Canada than in Denmark, even after getting 33% more in salary in DK. I know full well how marginal tax rates work, thanks. DK just has a much higher top bracket rate. Plus cost-of-living in DK is higher across the board, plus MOMS.

I am not complaining, I pay my taxes in the hope some goes to help those in need. I have more than enough.

Do you need me to post my skattekort or was that clear enough? :shucks:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The taxes in Sweden aren't a burden on regular people, and the problem isn't people making 20.000 kr/month versus people making 40.000 kr/month. The problem, as always and everywhere, is multi-millionaire inherited wealth assholes who cry and whine because they can't afford a third yacht, and billion-dollar companies using legal fuckery to pay exactly 0 kr in taxes.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Dynastic wealth is abject horseshit

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The problem, as always and everywhere, is multi-millionaire inherited wealth assholes who cry and whine because they can't afford a third yacht, and billion-dollar companies using legal fuckery to pay exactly 0 kr in taxes.

And the annual :qq: from house owners in the archipelago and newly posh suburbs who get upptaxerade and "can't afford to live there any more" and "have to move". Fucker, you have a gazillion kronor in home equity. Get a loan or shut up.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Rust Martialis posted:

I made more after tax in Canada than in Denmark, even after getting 33% more in salary in DK. I know full well how marginal tax rates work, thanks. DK just has a much higher top bracket rate. Plus cost-of-living in DK is higher across the board, plus MOMS.

I am not complaining, I pay my taxes in the hope some goes to help those in need. I have more than enough.

Do you need me to post my skattekort or was that clear enough? :shucks:

Didn't get that the income post tax was in different countries, that makes more sense:doh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

zokie posted:

Seven different branches, actually, because more = better than, but they're still not meant to do anything except gently caress the working man, since the cuts haven't been rolled back. 150-200 billion are leaving the country illegitimately every year.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Seven different branches, actually, because more = better than, but they're still not meant to do anything except gently caress the working man, since the cuts haven't been rolled back. 150-200 billion are leaving the country illegitimately every year.

look you cant fault entrepreneurial small business owners or tech giants for hiding money in overseas tax havens and you can DEFO not fault corporate lobbying from keeping these holes open because theyre whats standing between you and the commie gestapo-greens from stealing your toothbrush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Retarded Goatee posted:

look you cant fault entrepreneurial small business owners or tech giants for hiding money in overseas tax havens and you can DEFO not fault corporate lobbying from keeping these holes open because theyre whats standing between you and the commie gestapo-greens from stealing your toothbrush

There was also the guy who stole 12.3 billion by simply telling the tax agency they owed him VAT back. Provided they can even successfully prosecute him in Britain, half the money goes to them.

Meanwhile, if you paid too much in taxes one year and are on welfare, they will steal that poo poo automatically when you're supposed to get it back, regardless of the state of your finances. Too difficult to manage those VAT billions, though, and that billionaire seemed nice and respectable.