Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Confession: I keep loving up and not bringing my tools to my apartment, so I get caught out by simple poo poo like "spark plug went for a quick flight". Just dropped my car off to get bore scoped, make sure the threads didn't rip out and/or fall and bounce around the cylinder.

Fucken' fords, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Confessions: I found a grade 2, coarse threaded Imperial bolt and nut in my all metric, fine threaded suspension a week ago. I decided to put it back in because I was too lazy to walk to autozone.

I'm just now getting around to replacing it with an actual automotive grade bolt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why on earth do you want her to retire.....? If she is fine with working its not something you should get a say in and more to the point I would consider it rude as gently caress. In fact its more the case someone who says working has better long term health especially mentally.

She works with the developmentally disabled and keeps volunteering for OT at sites with semi dangerous individuals. I'd prefer to go see my mom and she not have fresh bruises.

And her parents left her a massive chunk of money and she's been very frugal with it so she doesn't even need to work at this point. She talks about retiring all the time but worries her clients will end up neglected of she does.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That which is dead can never die.

Whoops wrong forum.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

She works with the developmentally disabled and keeps volunteering for OT at sites with semi dangerous individuals. I'd prefer to go see my mom and she not have fresh bruises.

And her parents left her a massive chunk of money and she's been very frugal with it so she doesn't even need to work at this point. She talks about retiring all the time but worries her clients will end up neglected of she does.

I realize you worry about your Mom's safety and that's great but she sounds like the exact sort of person that falls apart in retirement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is very likely. We're hoping she'll retire and travel, I have a sister in Portland and a douchebag brother in Taiwan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Only slightly interesting delivery story.

Google Maps told me this was the fastest route to a customer in BFE today (Hutto, TX).

....... that's a big ol' bag of hell the gently caress nope. Looked at least a foot deep, and was moving pretty drat quick. I'll go across a road with water if it's not moving and there's traffic clearly going through it (so I can see that the road isn't collapsed or anything). This was a loving river. Had to backtrack a few miles to the highway and take another route.

Mentioned it to the customer when I finally delivered his order. He laughed and asked if the tree was still there. I asked which side, he said "this one" (the side he's on) and pulled out his phone to show me a picture of a bigass tree across a road. Said I wasn't sure, but I saw someone with a pickup on the other side doing something. I was bored, so I found the other side.

Pickup was gone, but the smell of fresh, uh, trees? was in the air. Guess someone living on that road chopped it up. Mighty neighborly of them. :clint:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dagen H posted:

Well yes, but I still (naively) expected higher education to be a secular domain, with religious schools being the outlier. The mail we've received has been split roughly 60/40.

Consider for a moment that degrees have become necessary for middle class jobs, yet Deeply Conservative families don't want little Billy and Susie exposed to other viewpoints in the process of getting one, and you'll see why there are so many religiously endowed schools.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why on earth do you want her to retire.....? If she is fine with working its not something you should get a say in and more to the point I would consider it rude as gently caress. In fact its more the case someone who says working has better long term health especially mentally.

I personally can't fuckin' wait to retire. And I'm only 33. :v: I'd rather be bored or just loving around than at work.

Come at me, dementia at 60. :corsair:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hot take: working rules

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Goober Peas posted:

I drove the entire length of I-40 in TN yesterday in pouring rain the entire way.

We decided to play 'tally the cars without headlights on'

The top 4:

1) Toyota/Lexus - 107 cars
2) Hyundai - 41 cars
3) Nissan Altima - 32 cars
4) Honda - 27 cars

I mention the Altima because every Nissan without headlights was an Altima. Almost every Honda was a Civic, but there were a handful of Accord and CRVs in there too. Hyundai was mostly Sonata. And just about every friggin Toyota or Lexus had its headlights off. Almost all of the Lexus were ES models.

edit: We passed 12 accidents yesterday

Don't most late model Lexusi have automatic headlights?

Also in my city for whatever reason the Nissan Altima is a low car in the same way the PT Cruiser was a low car a few years ago. I don't know why it is but some of these cars aren't even 10 years old and they're falling apart on the street in front of me seemingly.

I always just assumed that they're either cheap or for whatever Nissan will take credit scores under 600.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Working rules when it's on my own time toward my own goals.
Working sucks otherwise.

Water is also fukkin' WET

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KakerMix posted:

Working sucks otherwise.

Agreed. Hell truly is other people, and working for/with other people blows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Work is great if you like what you do. Also never having to work with the public again is great.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KakerMix posted:

Working sucks otherwise.

Tremendously wet, you could say.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Hot take: working rules

Hotter take: Working a worthwhile job rules, capitalistic slavery for the sake of survival loving sucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I like what I do at my job mostly, I just like doing other things more. But it turns out I can't really make money doing my hobbies, so, I work. Retiring at 55 is a goal I'd like to shoot for, but TBD how feasible that will actually be. Maybe if healthcare gets changed in the next 20 years or so, maybe. (not to :can:)

Eventually many jobs are going to automated that all people won't need to work just because of lack of jobs. That would be an interesting thing to see just how it would work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I like what I do at my job mostly, I just like doing other things more. But it turns out I can't really make money doing my hobbies, so, I work. Retiring at 55 is a goal I'd like to shoot for, but TBD how feasible that will actually be. Maybe if healthcare gets changed in the next 20 years or so, maybe. (not to :can:)

Turning your hobby into a career is a bad idea tho, it turns into just another job and ruins your hobby. Since I got out of the photography business, I rarely pick up a camera anymore and it's sad but I just don't really care about it anymore :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

64bit_Dophins posted:

Don't most late model Lexusi have automatic headlights?

Also in my city for whatever reason the Nissan Altima is a low car in the same way the PT Cruiser was a low car a few years ago. I don't know why it is but some of these cars aren't even 10 years old and they're falling apart on the street in front of me seemingly.

I always just assumed that they're either cheap or for whatever Nissan will take credit scores under 600.

I think all of those cars have stalk mounted headlight controls with 'auto' as a middle position.

Altima's stalk for example:

Pair that design with DRLs and backlit gauges and most people never realize their lights are actually off.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Goober Peas posted:

I think all of those cars have stalk mounted headlight controls with 'auto' as a middle position.

Altima's stalk for example:

Pair that design with DRLs and backlit gauges and most people never realize their lights are actually off.

Ahh interesting - the only car I've driven with automatic headlights was my dad's 2009 BMW 335d and that's set to automatic by default (far left position on the dial).

This would make sense though. I also feel like Nissan are really popular vehicles to lease (at least in my area) which may account for drivers not understanding their cars controls as well as someone who has been with the car for awhile.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ahh interesting - the only car I've driven with automatic headlights was my dad's 2009 BMW 335d and that's set to automatic by default (far left position on the dial).

This would make sense though. I also feel like Nissan are really popular vehicles to lease (at least in my area) which may account for drivers not understanding their cars controls as well as someone who has been with the car for awhile.

Nissan (and Hyundai) have pretty much taken up all of the rental car slack that GM and Ford used to do. So there are a lot of used ones on the road.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also whenever you take a car to the dealer/shop they turn off your auto headlights and you drive around for a while until you realize it. If you weren't an observant person, I could see leaving lights in Off for weeks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Turning your hobby into a career is a bad idea tho, it turns into just another job and ruins your hobby. Since I got out of the photography business, I rarely pick up a camera anymore and it's sad but I just don't really care about it anymore :(

Not that I don't agree that you shouldn't do it (I work in auto and am pretty apathetic about cars anymore) but all the sudden I'm not going for a career change trying to make money mountain biking and playing video games. :lol:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Doing your hobby as a living becomes even worse when none of the people you work with are enthusiastic about it as you

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Passing inspection tho

I passed, CV boots don't fail you in Sweden like they do in the UK (I think? correct me if I'm wrong).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like my work in the abstract, but when you are absolutely swamped and stressed out by the workload it's not real cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

Doing your hobby as a living becomes even worse when none of the people you work with are enthusiastic about it as you

A decade plus running a comic shop and can confirm.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Goober Peas posted:

Nissan (and Hyundai) have pretty much taken up all of the rental car slack that GM and Ford used to do. So there are a lot of used ones on the road.

Huh I've never rented a car but I guess this makes sense. I've heard that they've been eating the lunch of American car companies that have produced a void for cheap rental car type vehicles.

Idk why but I still don't trust Hyundai because I still associate Korean cars with the Daewoo Lanos one of my good friends drove in highschool. Worst car I've ever been in. Thing was falling apart at 30k miles.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Is it bad that I don’t even have a dream job? I don’t want to do loving anything, at all. When I was a kid I wanted to be an automotive journalist but now just thinking about driving some boring car and having to come up with a couple of pages about it sounds depressing. I just want to retire early and do whatever the gently caress I feel like doing on any given day.

At least I found a job that isn’t so boring that I might go crazy, I get to drive a delivery van and shoot the poo poo with shop people and never have to deal with the public, or even coworkers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Huh I've never rented a car but I guess this makes sense. I've heard that they've been eating the lunch of American car companies that have produced a void for cheap rental car type vehicles.

GM and Ford are doing this on purpose to help combat the perception of "cheap lovely rental car." Less fleet sales ain't a bad thing, necessarily.

Modus Man posted:

Is it bad that I don’t even have a dream job? I don’t want to do loving anything, at all. When I was a kid I wanted to be an automotive journalist but now just thinking about driving some boring car and having to come up with a couple of pages about it sounds depressing. I just want to retire early and do whatever the gently caress I feel like doing on any given day.

At least I found a job that isn’t so boring that I might go crazy, I get to drive a delivery van and shoot the poo poo with shop people and never have to deal with the public, or even coworkers.

Nope, I'd say that's just fine. But I have a very similar attitude towards work it sounds like.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Larrymer posted:

GM and Ford are doing this on purpose to help combat the perception of "cheap lovely rental car." Less fleet sales ain't a bad thing, necessarily.

So you think they're going upmarket?

I know that Ford has being doing this for quite sometime but I honestly don't even know what GM is trying to at this point.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

The odd one with proper automatic headlights for me was a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT. My G5 and Accord didn't have it and my FR-S doesn't. It boggles my mind that my 80s-tastic GM "mmmmmmnngeeehhhh it's better than a cavalier but less than a camaro" box of weirdness had them but my :rice: Ode To Eurobeat Addicts doesn't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Larrymer posted:

I personally can't fuckin' wait to retire. And I'm only 33. :v: I'd rather be bored or just loving around than at work.

Come at me, dementia at 60. :corsair:

I got projects and stuff I would much rather be doing than working. The month I was "on the bench" for the outsourcer I worked for was the absolute best. I got paid, and did a bunch of stuff I'd been meaning to do. I painted my '90 RX-7 from the door handles up (peeling clearcoat and surface rust) during that time! It was awesome to have more than a couple days to do stuff. Mind you, I was worrying a bit about the job, but for that, I just casually looked and applied for jobs for a couple hours every day.

KakerMix posted:

Working sucks otherwise.

Yeah, that.

I know it's supposed to be great if you do what you like as a job, but my brain is such that if I *have* to do a thing, day in and day out, I'm going to start to dislike it. Probably not *hate* it, per se, but it becomes a thing that I'm apathetic about at best.
We've talked about how the cobblers kids have no shoes, and the mechanic drives the worst car. I'm an IT guy, and my home stuff is old and cobbled together half working, because I fix people's poo poo all day at work, and don't want to mess with that crap at home.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Bingo!

Larrymer posted:

Eventually many jobs are going to automated that all people won't need to work just because of lack of jobs. That would be an interesting thing to see just how it would work.

Have you ever read any cyberpunk? That's how it works. Massive unemployment, rampant crime, and the rich just live comfortable and secure in their self-contained cities, getting richer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Modus Man posted:

This man knows what's up.

Auto headlight chat: I installed auto headlights on my Crown Vic P71. It was easy as installing the sensor (along with the defroster trim piece it was attached to, running one wire (I think) to the switch, and one to the Lighting Control Module, and replacing the switch with one with the auto setting. Relatively easy. The LCM is already rigged for it - just needed the sensor input.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Kazinsal posted:

The odd one with proper automatic headlights for me was a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT. My G5 and Accord didn't have it and my FR-S doesn't. It boggles my mind that my 80s-tastic GM "mmmmmmnngeeehhhh it's better than a cavalier but less than a camaro" box of weirdness had them but my :rice: Ode To Eurobeat Addicts doesn't.

Huh I test drove a Toyota 86 a few months ago and it had them but of course on the test drive they put me in the most ripped out model they had that still had a manual transmission.

Even then the interior of that care was pretty barren which I actually liked because I don't like cars that have a bunch of dumb gadget stuff on them. Also it likes to rev :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Have you ever read any cyberpunk? That's how it works. Massive unemployment, rampant crime, and the rich just live comfortable and secure in their self-contained cities, getting richer.

Meant it more from like a "universal basic income" perspective. But yeah maybe it would still be like that.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah we are absolutely going to have to implement some sort of UBI in the future if automation keeps replacing jobs. Unfortunately we have one political party in this country that all it does is jerk off about "skills" and everyone becoming a coder or something and the other actively wants to grind the poor into paste so it will probably end up like

Darchangel posted:

Massive unemployment, rampant crime, and the rich just live comfortable and secure in their self-contained cities, getting richer.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sentence 1: Technological changes to the workplace are a-coming
Sentence 2: But gently caress this one party for telling me to maybe get prepared for it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So long as men like Mitch McConnell hold power we will never see any manner of UBI.

I'd rather like to smack that man in the face with a shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
"That won't work here, we don't have the homologous culture that makes those programs work"

• Locked thread