Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I [24M] just found out how my foreign GF [27F] still depends on her parents for finances. Should I break up with her?

‘A quick google search tells me you aren’t marriage material.’

Didnt need the sentence saying he was a tech worker but there it was anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Turtlicious posted:

I just don't get what about it being her mom is relevant or makes it worse is all.

I know you didn't get to have parents and I'm sorry for that but like, you get the CONCEPT of a parent, right?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Baronjutter posted:

Needed, like I mentioned I weeded out all the flakes and phonies. Weeding lovely people out of your life and not worrying about investing too much in flakey fair-weather friends is a fantastic and very good thing everyone should do.

Good for you dude. :)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I just don't get what about it being her mom is relevant or makes it worse is all. Like when my Foster Mom died, I didn't throw a fit because my girlfriend at the time didn't want to go, I understood the Funeral isn't a place for everyone and moved on. Grieving is something you need to do on your own, sucking other people into your misery seems selfish to me.

often when you were close to a person, a funeral is more than a boring event where you wear itchy clothes, but a significant part of the mourning process. if op's boyfriend was that eager to get out of supporting her during a difficult time, he is as dense as you.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I will never respect any tech worker ever, anywhere. I purposely print out emails sent to me by IT and fax my written response back just to ensure they know how little I give a gently caress about their stupid computer boxes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ouhei posted:

As far as scheduling goes: I highly doubt she was the one that scheduled it (it was probably her dad) and her dad would absolutely tell her to gently caress off if she asked him to do it on another day so her BF could go get high with his friends.
Again I'm not one of those weirdos whose parents like each other, but I drat sure would get a say either way in when a funeral was scheduled. I think any child, the literal guests of honor at a parent's funeral, ought to have unquestioned veto power on that and dad's a prick if he won't take her preferences into account. I think it goes without saying that, however silly you think it is, this tradition is important to him. Real friendships aren't something to be weakly dismissed and frankly will do a lot more for him going forward than her mom will for her !!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Funerals are rarely pleasant, unless it's for a hated rival, or you're faking your own death and observing from behind a nearby mausoleum.

But, sometimes, even though it's not fun, you have an obligation to go! It's nice to support people, even if it's not enjoyable!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

But, sometimes, even though it's not fun, you have an obligation to go! It's nice to support people, even if it's not enjoyable!

:aaaaa:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Funerals are rarely pleasant, unless it's for a hated rival, or you're faking your own death and observing from behind a nearby mausoleum.

I have been to fun funerals. There is a tinge of bittersweetness but when my grandpa died his funeral was a ton of laughs trying to figure out which of the stories he had told us were true and talking about all the crazy stuff he survived.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She also begged him for a week to do it for her sake. Clearly, it's important to her, either for support or appearances. Even the guy who went after his wife gave birth looks like less of an rear end in a top hat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I still don't understand why the guy can't do both. Is it an out of state or all day funeral or something? He will have some free time during that 24 hour period that he can use to smoke weed with his buddies.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Like the entire point of a healthy relationship is to have someone who will support and love you through thick and thin

Lmao if you wouldn't immediately :sever: from anyone who you're in a long term relationship with that went to get high instead of go to your mother's funeral (if you asked them to)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

cumshitter posted:

I will never respect any tech worker ever, anywhere. I purposely print out emails sent to me by IT and fax my written response back just to ensure they know how little I give a gently caress about their stupid computer boxes.

"Please think about the environment before printing this email." *three tree emojis*

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry honey, I know you loved your sister and she was a great lady and all but 18 years ago today I skipped class took a bunch of Nyquil and downloaded Kid A off Napster and if you can't respect my traditions I guess you don't really love me

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Again I'm not one of those weirdos whose parents like each other, but I drat sure would get a say either way in when a funeral was scheduled. I think any child, the literal guests of honor at a parent's funeral, ought to have unquestioned veto power on that and dad's a prick if he won't take her preferences into account. I think it goes without saying that, however silly you think it is, this tradition is important to him. Real friendships aren't something to be weakly dismissed and frankly will do a lot more for him going forward than her mom will for her !!

Maybe she had a say in it, maybe she didn't...it doesn't really matter. The date was the date and he chose something else over going with her to support her. Obviously the tradition is important to him, since he chose it over going to the funeral...and real friendships should never be weakly dismissed, but real friendships should also understand when you can't make something because of a family emergency/life event. It doing more going forward is technically true, but a fairly callous way to look at it. Keep in mind this isn't the only time he sees these guys every year, they all live in the area apparently and he gets high with them on the regular. I would be a lot more forgiving if he never saw them except for this and there was a bunch of travel involved, but that isn't the case.

Ultimately though, no one's opinion other than hers matters. It doesn't matter if you don't personally see it as a big deal, she does and she's completely within her rights to and I would imagine a lot of people would feel the same way. She's not overreacting.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I [24M] just found out how my foreign GF [27F] still depends on her parents for finances. Should I break up with her?

"I'm not materialistic, but my gf is too poor!" I love it when the OP lacks the self-awareness to realize that they're the problem. Nice and neat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Depressio111117 posted:

I know you didn't get to have parents and I'm sorry for that but like, you get the CONCEPT of a parent, right?

Yeah it's like a teacher that you've been brain washed to love.

Except they have less training. Aren't really emotionally equipped to raise kids, and also they're not supposed to be your friends ever because that's wrong for some reason.

They don't really like you most of the time? Parents seem like a waste tbh, have state funded workers raise your children, because at least state funded workers will tell you about the system that oppresses everyone and what you can do as a privileged white male to stop it.

CheesyDog posted:

Sorry honey, I know you loved your sister and she was a great lady and all but 18 years ago today I skipped class took a bunch of Nyquil and downloaded Kid A off Napster and if you can't respect my traditions I guess you don't really love me

You say this in jest, but if you had an 18 y/o tradition you've never missed, than yeah that's important to you.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah it's like a teacher that you've been brain washed to love.

Except they have less training. Aren't really emotionally equipped to raise kids, and also they're not supposed to be your friends ever because that's wrong for some reason.

They don't really like you most of the time? Parents seem like a waste tbh, have state funded workers raise your children, because at least state funded workers will tell you about the system that oppresses everyone and what you can do as a privileged white male to stop it.

You say this in jest, but if you had an 18 y/o tradition you've never missed, than yeah that's important to you.

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry about whatever happened to you.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
You’re a bit mad, aren’t you? Kids aren’t “brainwashed” to love their parents, except in extremely edge cases of indisputable abuse.

Also state employees are the last people I’d want taking over for me in the somewhat likely event of my early death.

Ouhei posted:

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry about whatever happened to you.

This too though. Take care of yourself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure everyone's obsession from their parents comes from our biological need to be loved by our parents, not one borne out of like... An actual relationship.

How can you have a real relationship with someone whose obligated to take care of you for a minimum of 18 years. The way my parents explained it to me is that parenting is a lot like slavery, you're beholden to do this sisyphean task of trying not to raise a hell beast, and like it's almost impossible most people turn into disgusting monsters. Your friends are more important than your family because that's a real relationship you've made. Seeing your mother put in the ground is an obligation, and no matter how close you are you were never truly friends.

e: WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT!? I'm the one who is unburdened from the trappings of family, I was able to escape and observe without being hurt by a mom or a dad. No-one hurt me I'm just free from all the bullshit. I see the system for what it is and if I keep volunteering and being out spoken I can change it.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2018

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

That's hosed up in a way I'm never gonna be able to properly communicate to you.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone's obsession from their parents comes from our biological need to be loved by our parents, not one borne out of like... An actual relationship.

How can you have a real relationship with someone whose obligated to take care of you for a minimum of 18 years. The way my parents explained it to me is that parenting is a lot like slavery, you're beholden to do this sisyphean task of trying not to raise a hell beast, and like it's almost impossible most people turn into disgusting monsters. Your friends are more important than your family because that's a real relationship you've made. Seeing your mother put in the ground is an obligation, and no matter how close you are you were never truly friends.

e: WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT!? I'm the one who is unburdened from the trappings of family, I was able to escape and observe without being hurt by a mom or a dad. No-one hurt me I'm just free from all the bullshit.

It's the same discourse I hear from abuse survivors too. You're not alone in it.

Parents are ideally supposed to show and teach empathy, if they do that well usually a decent upbringing follows.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FELD1 posted:

"I'm not materialistic, but my gf is too poor!" I love it when the OP lacks the self-awareness to realize that they're the problem. Nice and neat.

He doubles down in the comments because he’s getting dunked on. I love stupid ones like these.

quote:

I swear half of you are not even intent on giving good advice and are bent on making judgements about others on the internet

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you get any more dense you're gonna have your own gravity well. JFC dropping the nuclear :biotruths: take on parental affection.

edit: ahahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo dude that edit

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

e: WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT!? I'm the one who is unburdened from the trappings of family, I was able to escape and observe without being hurt by a mom or a dad. No-one hurt me I'm just free from all the bullshit. I see the system for what it is and if I keep volunteering and being out spoken I can change it.

:chloe:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tech rear end in a top hat can go die alone with his back to the future replica hover board and dick covered in ants

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I was able to escape and observe without being hurt by a mom or a dad.

It's weird that you feel the need to frame parent-child relationships like this - that these relationships are generally a burden that requires escaping from.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I put up with my parents specifically BECAUSE they’re my friends and absolutely not because they’re my relations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koldenblue posted:

It's weird that you feel the need to frame parent-child relationships like this - that these relationships are generally a burden that requires escaping from.

It's like the sort of poo poo you hear from Men Going Their Own Way. They don't hate women, they were not hurt by women, they just realized they've escaped from the burden of relationships with women, something the rest of you poor fools are still brainwashed into thinking is normal and good.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope someone accepts me and my weekly anniversary tradition of that one time I ate too much taco bell and got diarrhea on a Saturday. I can still attend funerals though. That's the advantage of fast food.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I see the system for what it is and if I keep volunteering and being out spoken I can change it.

change...having parents? are you volunteering in some kind of child army, or possibly a heavy handed sci fi premise?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Koldenblue posted:

i dunno just based off of goons I get the feeling that a lot of parents werent the most nurturing creatures. when a parent is not nurturing they are at least neglectful, but when a parent abuses a child, that poison seeps into the nervous system of the child and they grow with that poison

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Turtlicious posted:

Oh ok, just a troll. Got it. You can stop now.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Jesus, we've got more broke brained idiots on here than the site we're mocking.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

Jesus, we've got more broke brained idiots on here than the site we're mocking.

reddit's got quantity, we've got quality. Stay tuned for our resident Miss Havisham impersonator to throw down against the guy staging a communist revolt against mammalian reproduction

dudeness posted:

I hope someone accepts me and my weekly anniversary tradition of that one time I ate too much taco bell and got diarrhea on a Saturday. I can still attend funerals though. That's the advantage of fast food.

lol

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 25, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That guy worried about his possible future wife's income has been dating her two months. That poor woman.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 25, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not having parents, just how we raise kids, and the obligations we place on them as a society. It shouldn't be standard for children to have to take care of their parents when the parents get old and die, and parents who can't take care of kids shouldn't have them (which means most people shouldn't be raising their own children.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it is extremely important to honor the memory of this sacred day, the tenth anniversary of that time I threw a rock at a train and it bounced back and almost hit me

I once threw rocks at the cars driving on the street like 30-40 feet behind my house with a friend as a kid, under the assumption that I'd never actually succeed (largely because you couldn't see the cars from that position; they were sort of below a hill that was in front of us). One day I threw a rock and heard it hit glass as a car drove by.

I guess that was a crime. I feel bad for the poor bastard who suddenly had a rock hit their windshield/window while driving in 1994 or whatever.

LadyPictureShow posted:

$10 says this guy is extremely privileged himself.

FELD1 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if she actually makes some fairly reasonable amount of money, like $30k or something, but this guy has such a distorted perception of what's normal because of his own good fortune that he doesn't realize it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im just saying 2 things

1) break up with your parents because you will finally be free from their expectations of you.
2) im mentally ill and no-one should follow my advice.