Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is Russell Crowe holding an invisible cane?

He's holding Griffin's walking-stick, who is also in the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/Darren_Mooney/status/1044499769815633920

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I think Sofia Boutella counts as relatively fresh, though

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ALFbrot posted:

I think Sofia Boutella counts as relatively fresh, though

She wasn't exactly positioned as a key player in the franchise, though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that movie was :toot: TOM CRUISE :toot: in The Mummy.

I remember when that flopped, there was a bit of commentary about how star power doesn't matter in America but it's still a fairly big deal overseas (the movie doing fairly well in South Korea was one example pointed out in one article); it's like when American film journalists were debating why Star Wars isn't popular in China, among the myriad reasons, one response they had was, "If it had big stars like Will Smith in it, it would do better."

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 25, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shame on you people for not going to see it. The Dark Universe is my kind of stupid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Hollywood's more or less over shared cinematic universes now, aren't they? WB seems to have more or less abandoned the idea for the DC movies (though it's hard to tell with them), Lucasfilm's cancelled all their Star Wars spin-offs, Dark Universe was DOA; I think the only one left is the Godzilla vs Kong one and that's still just two movies that are barely connected to one another.

Imagine if that had existed in the past. Imagine 1996: "Hamlet is the latest entry in the KBSASCU (the Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare Adaptation Shared Cinematic Universe" and concludes the eponymous Prince of Denmark's war with King Macbeth of Scotland. The film is nine hours long and"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Hollywood's more or less over shared cinematic universes now, aren't they? WB seems to have more or less abandoned the idea for the DC movies (though it's hard to tell with them), Lucasfilm's cancelled all their Star Wars spin-offs, Dark Universe was DOA; I think the only one left is the Godzilla vs Kong one and that's still just two movies that are barely connected to one another.

Imagine if that had existed in the past. Imagine 1996: "Hamlet is the latest entry in the KBSASCU (the Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare Adaptation Shared Cinematic Universe" and concludes the eponymous Prince of Denmark's war with King Macbeth of Scotland. The film is nine hours long and"

There's still a bunch of Star Wars stuff happening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll wait for Wheat Loaf to parrot the same thing they’ve been saying for months, citing they have no control over their compulsion to say these things.

It’s a strange gimmick I don’t understand or enjoy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:lol: I hadn't noticed they photoshopped Tom Cruise's abs and muscly veiny arms. Oh my god, it's so great :newlol:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

that last pic saying "i want a comforting love with both arms to hold me" is prime mandopop and i love it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: I hadn't noticed they photoshopped Tom Cruise's abs and muscly veiny arms. Oh my god, it's so great :newlol:

Nick Morton the greatest hero.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In this modern day, people fantasise about having loving, healthy relationships with sexy monsters.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

Shame on you people for not going to see it. The Dark Universe is my kind of stupid.

It was the very first movie I saw after signing up for MoviePass, and even then I feel like I overpaid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Mummy is insanely bad in so many ways. From the very beginning, to the very end when you realize the entire movie was a contortionist act origin story to explain why The Mummy of The Dark Universe is a white guy played by Tom Cruise.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

The Mummy is insanely bad in so many ways. From the very beginning, to the very end when you realize the entire movie was a contortionist act origin story to explain why The Mummy of The Dark Universe is a white guy played by Tom Cruise.

But he's also the god of death too. Man i wish they'd make a sequel

King arthur's shared universe aint happenin either but those 2 attempts were still pretty recent, studios might not have given up on the idea quite yet

But 3d sure is about dead, even imax is jumping off the train

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What films have flopped where they cast nothing but established (and often aging) stars but made no effort to introduce anyone new? Or at least hesitated to give any weight to upcoming actors?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What films have flopped where they cast nothing but established (and often aging) stars but made no effort to introduce anyone new? Or at least hesitated to give any weight to upcoming actors?

I was going to say The Bucket List, but it was only critics that hated it; that piece of poo poo somehow made $175 million.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Monsterverse shared universe seems kinda cheating since it doesn't really share actors.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I actually saw this at a drive-in as a double feature with Thor 2 :suicide:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tommy Lee Jones deserves better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually saw this at a drive-in as a double feature with Thor 2 :suicide:

Last Vegas made back around 5 times its budget, it was not a flop at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1044757107822616576

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad the cast Ron Perlman, its important a film like this feature representation from the Monster-American community

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Barudak posted:

Well poo poo, I assumed it was a flop because it was so bad and no one remembers it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope they get the best costume designers for this movie. It should be nominated for Best Costuming at the Oscars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought for a second Ron Perlman was dead so this is much better news.

Any time I see a celeb in a tweet I think they’re dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I thought for a second Ron Perlman was dead so this is much better news.

Any time I see a celeb in a tweet I think they’re dead.

Hey now, they could be an abuser and/or rapist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I know there's photo editing and make-up (and in this case, I'm pretty sure, a ton of Botox) and everything but Rene Russo's looking good for 60 there. In fact, before I looked at the credits, my immediate thought was, "Crusty old actor men and their young woman sidekick."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hey friends, have you noticed that Morgan Freeman is old?

Mary-Louise Parker was only 46 at the time of RED's release. The sequel had Byung-Hun Lee as their young hot thing (43 at the time).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morgan Freeman has been old for over 30 years now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maggie Smith has always been "the old lady". She is actually slightly younger than Judi Dench (born in the same year at opposite ends of the same month, I believe) but Judi Dench has never been "the old lady". Like, Maggie Smith was "the old lady" in Hook and probably earlier; Judi Dench was never "old" in any of the James Bond movies she was in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maggie Smith has always been "the old lady". She is actually slightly younger than Judi Dench (born in the same year at opposite ends of the same month, I believe) but Judi Dench has never been "the old lady". Like, Maggie Smith was "the old lady" in Hook and probably earlier; Judi Dench was never "old" in any of the James Bond movies she was in.

I vaguely remember being weirded out when watching the 1978 Death on the Nile and Smith played a maid or female butler or whatever that wasn't explicitly Old As Balls.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

which one's voicing the cat

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

which one's voicing the cat

lol “voicing” it’s obviously going to be Ron wearing a Palico suit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

Boomers have all the disposable income and like seeing themselves in film.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So is Perlman just going to reprise his role as Hannibal Chau or?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Honestly, Monster Hunter could work. The plot for any of the games is incredibly simple. It's colorful and fun. Basically your triangulated tentpole movie. You could even do a romance based on the between Guild Maarm and Brachydios.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Movies about how old people are and they only joke is "lol were old" are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundercracker posted:

Honestly, Monster Hunter could work. The plot for any of the games is incredibly simple. It's colorful and fun. Basically your triangulated tentpole movie. You could even do a romance based on the between Guild Maarm and Brachydios.

An extended montage of sharpening weapons and eating