Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The sergeants drill found a number of phones hidden in the same place. Some fresh-squeezed Kentucky dickhead owned all of them and was selling calls like white trash AT&T. They lined up the whole platoon and threatened to call each number in the history to find out whose families they were unless people stepped forward and admitted to paying this guy to use the phone. Dickhead got demoted to PV1 and recycled. All the others (e: at least those who were dumb enough to step forward) got two hours' extra duty every night for a couple weeks and lost their leave for family weekend between Basic and OSUT.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
We all got our personal stuff back for a few days before we left for Christmas Exodus. They didn't have a problem with anyone using the stuff during down time before we left but a group of people decided to keep their phones and PSPs (PSP was new around that time so of course everyone went out on pass and bought one even though we couldn't have it until like week 16, lol). The ones from my platoon all stashed their stuff with a big cache of dip and cigarettes above a ceiling tile, which was pretty dumb considering it was MP OSUT and only one of our drills was new. They all got 15/15, half a month's pay, and a suspended bust if they had a stripe.

This was all a good thing since the sudden shortage in the dip market let me off the rest of my inventory in like an hour. They never patted anyone down so if you just kept your contraband in your actual pockets, :shrug: I made about $1000 in the last four weeks of basic, thanks guys!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Dumb civvie question, why are phones banned in basic training? Is it for opsec reasons such as preventing somebody from accidentally uploading a briefing on radio encryption to iCloud or purely to prevent recruits from being distracted by their phones when they need to pay attention?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Control

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Asehujiko posted:

Dumb civvie question, why are phones banned in basic training? Is it for opsec reasons such as preventing somebody from accidentally uploading a briefing on radio encryption to iCloud or purely to prevent recruits from being distracted by their phones when they need to pay attention?

One of the primary goals of basic is to make strangers learn to operate as a team, and how to follow orders.

An effective way of doing that is restricting access to the individual's old ways of life. If soldiers are constantly talking to their old friend Johnny Methmouth or their parents, they could be kept going back to the same (Sometimes good, sometimes bad) habits of which the Army is trying to break them.

Some of it is a petty control issue, but it's mostly to maintain discipline. Which is a control thing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It's for opsec. They don't want opfor getting our master training techniques

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's for opsec. They don't want opfor getting our master training techniques
All we had to do was give near the power of life and death to a sociopathic 24 year old without a college degree or any other real accomplishments? It's so simple!

I heard a rumor that Air Force Basic let's them keep their phones now, but only let's them use them at certain times. Don't know what keeps you from watching YouTube under your covers at night?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

No fun allowed.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cage Kicker posted:

This was all a good thing since the sudden shortage in the dip market let me off the rest of my inventory in like an hour. They never patted anyone down so if you just kept your contraband in your actual pockets, :shrug: I made about $1000 in the last four weeks of basic, thanks guys!

That's actually brilliant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

All we had to do was give near the power of life and death to a sociopathic 24 year old without a college degree or any other real accomplishments? It's so simple!

I heard a rumor that Air Force Basic let's them keep their phones now, but only let's them use them at certain times. Don't know what keeps you from watching YouTube under your covers at night?

Dunno about basic, but that is the case at OTS. Back in my day, they were locked up. :corsair:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i went to basic before cell phones were a thing

gently caress im old

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

Everything starts making much more sense if you start thinking of the army like a cult. Much the same techniques are being employed.

Cut off new recruits from their old social environment, break down their sense of individuality and self, instill a sense of special mission and purpose for which they have been selected as opposed to their normal peers, rebuild them in the mold required by the institution.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress im old

Same. Car phones and bag phones were just becoming a thing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Syrian Lannister posted:

Same. Car phones and bag phones were just becoming a thing

it was 2003

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

we had 10-10-220

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

5 days after Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress im old

:corsair::hf::corsair:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress im old

:emptyquote:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we had 10-10-220

I recently found a phone card.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Syrian Lannister posted:

we invaded iraq a week before we graduated

drill sergeants swaggered in and yelled out GUESS WHERE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS ARE GOING

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we invaded iraq a week before we graduated

drill sergeants swaggered in and yelled out GUESS WHERE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS ARE GOING

I enlisted a month after we invaded. Didn't ship until a year later though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Iraq invasion kicked off while I was finishing up high school, a few months before I shipped to Basic.

I remember thinking "Aw man I hope I don't miss the war."

In retrospect it was a very silly thing to think.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Syrian Lannister posted:

Yeah well my first grade teacher didn't let us have cell phones either. :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought having a flip phone when I entered basic made me old. The iPhone had been out for 6 months at that point but smartphones were still rare.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Rat posted:

The Iraq invasion kicked off while I was finishing up high school, a few months before I shipped to Basic.

Soldier Excited To Take Over Father’s Old Afghanistan Patrol Route

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

:unsmith: They grow up so fast.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Munin posted:

:unsmith: They grow up so fast.
Daddy? What's a Freedom Fry?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we had 10-10-220

1-800-CALL-ATT

It's free for you, and cheap for them!

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

They gave us phone cards a couple of months ago when I got to Kuwait. There's no phones to use them on. It's 2018, just hand out some cheap SIM cards drat, that'd actually be useful.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm sure I've heard that Google fi works in Kuwait. No idea if it works in your particular area though.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Phone service ain't I problem, I had a local sim that was reasonably priced within a few hours of being on post. Someone is always selling one here. It's just that instead of handing out useless phone cards, why not give a soldier something he can use to call home to give him time to settle in and get a phoneplan or something that works long term?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Because looking like you are doing something is more important than actually doing something hooah

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Always place the mission first, hwuh??"

*Fucks off to SNCO club for cigars and illegal booze*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They probably bought 50 million phone cards for OIF and are still cleaning them out of the warehouse.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
"The book says give them a phone card, so give them a phone card."

"The book was written in Bush Sr's administration."

"But the book says give them a phone card..."

Repeat until the second guy gives up and wanders away.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The Rat posted:

There were people on before the towers fell who were mad they missed or were born too late for Vietnam.

I'm not sure what the takeaway from that is supposed to be. People who want to test or prove themselves can be very dumb?

Also, don't remember getting a phonecard for OIF. But we didn't get mail either until well into when we were into patrolling and had to send working parties to the army to do their drat job for them.

Our leadership would also never tell us when the engineers or eod were doing a controlled det. Then get mad when we called reac up, or got into fighting positions when poo poo went off.

You know, in an environment where we were looking for guys trying to shoot us or blow us up...

Surprised we didn't have more fratricide than we did.

Don't mean to be so morose. Just got to the part of a book that covers some of what I was there for. Brought up some memories and anger.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
There are plenty of lunatics out there who just want to kill people without facing any repercussions. Knew plenty of them during my time, I steered clear of all of them.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

There are plenty of lunatics out there who just want to kill people without facing any repercussions. Knew plenty of them during my time, I steered clear of all of them.

they're called sheepdogs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry