Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Does anyone know of a convenient way to draw up positioning/movement diagrams for Savage or whatever? It doesn't have to be XIV specific, but something a bit more convenient and pretty than MS Paint would be nice.

Also, is it too early to break out the winter outfits? Of course not, it's always winter in Ishgard.

I have everything on the left for SCH/SMN/crafters except I use hempen tights. A lot of the low level gear with (mostly) shared models hold up pretty well. They should totally reused assets when possible, I would love having astrolabes with some of the elemental models for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
After my harrowing experience with that heal the other day I'm starting to gear up my healers again. Whats the over under on Astrologin currently?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

orange juche posted:

The difference between FFXIV's storytelling and WoW's is night and day, like haha holy poo poo FFXIV on its worst day is maybe close to WoW on its best day. Even ARR's storyline is stronger than WoW's has been since Vanilla.

I don't agree with this. Like, taken as a whole yeah, FF14 murders WoW like a it was an easily murdered thing. But cata hillsbrad foothills horde storyline is really, really good. So was valley of the 4 winds I felt. I would take either of those over 2.0-2.4 and 3.4 to now in FF14 any day.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

Anyone had any luck PuG'ing Suzaku ex? The static I'm in are absolutely terrible at learning and progressing :suicide:

I've only ever PUG'd Suzaku and have managed to get some decent farm parties going. If you feel that you know the mechanics well enough you might be better off joining random clear parties.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Got dragged into a Suzaku Ex PUG last night by a friend. I've got phase 1 down, but during phase 2 I'm always looking to the side to determine the pattern and miss the push/pull cast so I always fall off. One day I'll get it right.

Gotta love JP PUGs though, Macro, Ready Check, Countdown and Fight! And after three wipes disband without any drama and bitching. (and when the same party forms when everyone requeues there's still no drama)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHeadSage posted:

Got dragged into a Suzaku Ex PUG last night by a friend. I've got phase 1 down, but during phase 2 I'm always looking to the side to determine the pattern and miss the push/pull cast so I always fall off. One day I'll get it right.

Gotta love JP PUGs though, Macro, Ready Check, Countdown and Fight! And after three wipes disband without any drama and bitching. (and when the same party forms when everyone requeues there's still no drama)

If you're any form of caster just use Surecast.

I honestly feel like they oughta remove Surecast or something because it's pretty dumb to have a single role action that basically is like "nah fam I ain't doin' this mechanic EVER"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Apparently O9S has an anti-Surecast mechanic.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly feel like they oughta remove Surecast or something because it's pretty dumb to have a single role action that basically is like "nah fam I ain't doin' this mechanic EVER"

Paladin's have had access to this mechanic denial since 2.0.

And they said Tempered Will was useless because it was so situational (and has a long CD) :colbert:

Also:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently O9S has an anti-Surecast mechanic.

Unlike Tempered Will, Surecast hit's back if you're hit and it seems the devs thought of that when designing some fights :getin:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh dear, i might be needing this (if/when we get it)

https://twitter.com/ForUlrica/status/1044555465869279232

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

a kitten posted:

Same.

The other China stuff eventually showed up on mogstation. So I figure this will eventually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

And they said Tempered Will was useless because it was so situational (and has a long CD) :colbert:

I mean... a big part of why Surecast is that is because it has a literal 30 second cooldown. Tempered Will is long enough you might possibly run into multiple mechanics in a row where you can't use it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

EponymousMrYar posted:

Still annoyed TW isn't just a role action.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a kitten posted:

Are they going to add a 1920s vintage Studebaker as a mount to go with this?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Speaking of all this talk of statics, I am looking for one. I've pinged a couple of times in Discord, but I don't want to be annoying. I play NIN, I'm free weekday nights, and I try very very hard. You can check my logs. I'd rather you didn't, but hey, I left room for improvement! You can find me on Discord @QuiorraSon#3571. Or just hit me here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't agree with this. Like, taken as a whole yeah, FF14 murders WoW like a it was an easily murdered thing. But cata hillsbrad foothills horde storyline is really, really good. So was valley of the 4 winds I felt. I would take either of those over 2.0-2.4 and 3.4 to now in FF14 any day.

Both of those zone stories are gags, though. Hillsbrad is a series of dumb jokes about vanilla wow and valley of the four winds is an extremely problematic spoof of kung fu movies.

Taking either of those over the most recent story patches is... an interesting choice?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Leal posted:

After my harrowing experience with that heal the other day I'm starting to gear up my healers again. Whats the over under on Astrologin currently?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

The difference between FFXIV's storytelling and WoW's is night and day, like haha holy poo poo FFXIV on its worst day is maybe close to WoW on its best day. Even ARR's storyline is stronger than WoW's has been since Vanilla.

WoW has some decent moments but the MSQ in FF14 is just ridiculously better. HW, SB especially but even ARR is mostly just better in general.

I am not ashamed to admit that that unlike FF14, I never freaking teared up over WoW's story. Hell, TESO isn't as good as FF14 and it's still way beyond what WoW has accomplished from a storytelling perspective.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 26, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thundarr posted:

Are they going to add a 1920s vintage Studebaker as a mount to go with this?
Axe-based weapons for every class except WAR who gets a Thompson submachinegun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
1% enrage on O9S on our last pull of the night

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I think the song that plays in the Ala Mhigan resistance base is apparently the Imperial anthem? Kinda goofy if so, lol. The Imperial anthem is good btw, it is a very realistic sounding anthem.

edit: As a random side comment, it's kinda goofy that the Empire hasn't discovered Rhalgr's Reach, given they have airships that they would presumably patrol with, and Rhalgr's Reach is open to the sky (though maybe they actually are aware of them and just leave them alone for some reason).

orange juche posted:

WoW has a very "Western nerd culture" feel to it, for lack of a better description. Like there are certain things that I have trouble putting my finger on that just make a story just feel that way, and it applies to many big budget Western RPGs (as well as certain things, like Joss Whedon shows/movies). I don't mean this to imply JRPGs are better by any means, though the FF14 story is not a completely stereotypical JRPG, even if it has many of the characteristics of one. One way of putting it might be to say that stuff like WoW "tries too hard" and lacks the writing chops to really accomplish the sort of heavy story beats it sometimes aims for. FF14 plays its core story of a hero doing heroic things fairly straight; it doesn't try to have many edgy betrayals and the like. Likeable characters stay good, etc.

For example, I'm pretty sure Haurchefant would have ended up betraying the WoL if he were a WoW character.

(All of this being said, I still enjoy plots like WoW's, even if I don't like it as much.)

edit: Now that I think about it, I think a really big part of it is that FF14's basic setting is vastly better than WoW's. WoW's setting and core cast have always been kind of dumb/boring, and it's been limited by its sort of Warhammer/Tolkien knock-off nature. It also doesn't take itself very seriously, which can be good in some ways, though it ends up weakening any attempts to include more serious plot beats.

vvvv Ahhh

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 26, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

When the Imperials invaded they kept the tune of the ala mhigan anthem and replaced the lyrics.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
WOW, and a lot of western media in general in the last decade or so, is just really cynical about a lot of things even if it doesn't really intend to be. FFXIV is really refreshing as a setting just because it's taken a lot more straightforwardly than a lot of media cares to do with their settings anymore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Karasu Tengu posted:

WOW, and a lot of western media in general in the last decade or so, is just really cynical about a lot of things even if it doesn't really intend to be. FFXIV is really refreshing as a setting just because it's taken a lot more straightforwardly than a lot of media cares to do with their settings anymore.
Yeah, the cynicism is a lot less. Also, the main writer for WoW had a sex fetish for corruption and redemption arcs, along with muscular dudes. I am sure you can figure out FFXIV's equivalents.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking at other Hyur females, I get the impression it's really easy to make their faces look "off" somewhat (compared with, say, Miqo'te who seem to always end up with good looking faces). My character before using a Fantasia potion also had the issue, and I see it with many other peoples' characters. I'm starting to feel like I lucked out in getting my character's face to look so good.

I think a big part of it is that many characters have chins that are too round, making the bottom of their face look sorta weird.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eh, I feel XIV is plenty cynical in a lot of things too, even more so than WoW because it actually tries to address some things. I think it's because a lot of XIV setting details are expressed at a consistent level as opposed to only appearing in one questline/cutscene/cinematic/etc. Ul'dah being corrupt isn't just a trope that's brought up by a lot of different quests at different levels and remains a relevant background detail throughout the game. These setting details remain rather consistent and continue to get brought up when relevant, rather than dumped and forgotten because the writers don't talk to each other.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't think having a world with problems is inherently cynical. Especially when most of these story beats are addressed and the problems are solved. We just liberated 2 nations, my friend.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, Ul'dah having problems (and successfully if slowly working through them) isn't being cynical, it's honestly kinda the opposite. WoW would have us fix Ishgard and then the second we leave Aymeric would turn around and murder all the Hyurs and require us to also murder him and then never speak of Ishgard again.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: As a random side comment, it's kinda goofy that the Empire hasn't discovered Rhalgr's Reach, given they have airships that they would presumably patrol with, and Rhalgr's Reach is open to the sky (though maybe they actually are aware of them and just leave them alone for some reason).

Later in the MSQ they explain that they've been hiding Rhalgr's Reach from the Empire using glamour prisms to make it look like a boring mountain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Argas posted:

Eh, I feel XIV is plenty cynical in a lot of things too, even more so than WoW because it actually tries to address some things. I think it's because a lot of XIV setting details are expressed at a consistent level as opposed to only appearing in one questline/cutscene/cinematic/etc. Ul'dah being corrupt isn't just a trope that's brought up by a lot of different quests at different levels and remains a relevant background detail throughout the game. These setting details remain rather consistent and continue to get brought up when relevant, rather than dumped and forgotten because the writers don't talk to each other.
When I say cynicism here I don't mean that the setting is necessarily good or bad, but that it is treated in a certain way. If George R.R. Martin was writing this, Nanamo would have been sold off to the same brothel as Yotsuyu, Kan-E-Senna would have burned Urianger in the wicker man, and Merlwyb would probably be actively reaving the coasts again while explicitly genociding the kobolds.

Like Eorzea is rough but the setting and the actions in it are treated with a sort of realism tinged with sympathy, as opposed to either trying to heavily glamorize everything or focus on sordid matters to the exclusion of others.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
just did an A10N run where we had to kick a healer for harassment (first time since moving to a JP server!), had something in the realm of 15 resurrects across 3 runs, the first two both losing to the dps check because everyone bar the MT, OT and AST had been res'd, and the second time was because 3(!) dps got frozen in the pools and died. I, as a PLD, had to forcibly tank swap because the MT had 2 Res Down stacks, heal DPS because both healers were dangerously low on mana, and most of my Interventions were Ramp/Sentinel boosted to save people.

anyway I rolled 19 and 26 on the tokens I needed and didn't get a single commend :negative:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
FFXIV has a setting bible. WoW just seems to make up stuff like it's a comic book whenever they write a piece of a story.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Karasu Tengu posted:

See also: the conclusion of Alpha and Omega's story. It's like a Miyazaki film in here, I love it!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Directional Tether+Simon Says is just rude. Got Suzaku ex down to 5% before she enrage killed my last learning group for the night. Really glad I never touched WoW.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
WoW's character designs never interested me. I played for something like a month in the game well before Cataclysm and remembered hating all the male characters and how buff or ugly they were. That drove me to play a lady in my time, but I couldn't stick with it.

I honestly think FF MMOs are the only ones to keep my attention thanks to the aesthetics and story focus. If not for both of these, I'd go back to single player games.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nessus posted:

When I say cynicism here I don't mean that the setting is necessarily good or bad, but that it is treated in a certain way. If George R.R. Martin was writing this, Nanamo would have been sold off to the same brothel as Yotsuyu, Kan-E-Senna would have burned Urianger in the wicker man, and Merlwyb would probably be actively reaving the coasts again while explicitly genociding the kobolds.

Like Eorzea is rough but the setting and the actions in it are treated with a sort of realism tinged with sympathy, as opposed to either trying to heavily glamorize everything or focus on sordid matters to the exclusion of others.

That's true. There's a lot of cynicism in XIV but it's not absolutely dripping with it and there's a general optimistic trend in the story, both with the player/WoL as sort of the embodiment of that but also a well of inspiration for those around them.

Ironslave posted:

FFXIV has a setting bible. WoW just seems to make up stuff like it's a comic book whenever they write a piece of a story.

WoW did start releasing the Chronicle series of lorebooks.

But they've already gone and retconned some stuff in the first book in a later volume.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

Directional Tether+Simon Says is just rude. Got Suzaku ex down to 5% before she enrage killed my last learning group for the night. Really glad I never touched WoW.

It's honestly not that hard to deal with. Look at which color will explode first, and 'aim' for that tile. Sometimes you can't due to your arrow, in that case you aim for the 2nd color to explode.

It's hectic to figure out on the fly though.

The other color mechanics are also really simple once you figure out the trick. On the 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 pattern you look for the 4th color in the pattern and start on that one. Then you move onto the 1st color tile after if explodes. Run around always following just behind the explosion. You might lose a bit of dps by moving, but it's a 100% safe way to deal with that mechanic.

On the 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 pattern you start on 4, step to 1 after it explodes, then step back to 4 after it explodes twice.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 26, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This might be a dumb question, but do the Aetherpool weapons in POTD change color as they level up or are the different colors based on the class?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

OhFunny posted:

This might be a dumb question, but do the Aetherpool weapons in POTD change color as they level up or are the different colors based on the class?

The different colours are based on your class, but once you get to a certain aetherpool level they change to a different appearance.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That used to be Manawall and then it got nerfed into the loving ground for this exact reason.

Then they (re)introduced Surecast and had it replicate the not move part of Manawall and I'm just at a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This was probably one of the more obscure Ivalice races, short of those seer guys that kept their eyes closed all the time.

I would love to see the salty tears it would cause.