Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
wow pharos sirius kinda sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mostly just the first boss. it's tuned weird so that if your DPS is too much it becomes completely unhinged chaos

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
it felt like we were running it unsynced after the first boss

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ytlaya posted:

So I think the song that plays in the Ala Mhigan resistance base is apparently the Imperial anthem? Kinda goofy if so, lol. The Imperial anthem is good btw, it is a very realistic sounding anthem.

edit: As a random side comment, it's kinda goofy that the Empire hasn't discovered Rhalgr's Reach, given they have airships that they would presumably patrol with, and Rhalgr's Reach is open to the sky (though maybe they actually are aware of them and just leave them alone for some reason).

WoW has a very "Western nerd culture" feel to it, for lack of a better description. Like there are certain things that I have trouble putting my finger on that just make a story just feel that way, and it applies to many big budget Western RPGs (as well as certain things, like Joss Whedon shows/movies). I don't mean this to imply JRPGs are better by any means, though the FF14 story is not a completely stereotypical JRPG, even if it has many of the characteristics of one. One way of putting it might be to say that stuff like WoW "tries too hard" and lacks the writing chops to really accomplish the sort of heavy story beats it sometimes aims for. FF14 plays its core story of a hero doing heroic things fairly straight; it doesn't try to have many edgy betrayals and the like. Likeable characters stay good, etc.

For example, I'm pretty sure Haurchefant would have ended up betraying the WoL if he were a WoW character.

(All of this being said, I still enjoy plots like WoW's, even if I don't like it as much.)

edit: Now that I think about it, I think a really big part of it is that FF14's basic setting is vastly better than WoW's. WoW's setting and core cast have always been kind of dumb/boring, and it's been limited by its sort of Warhammer/Tolkien knock-off nature. It also doesn't take itself very seriously, which can be good in some ways, though it ends up weakening any attempts to include more serious plot beats.

vvvv Ahhh

Let me be a little passive aggressive here, to point out that I feel like most of what made WoW story bad was Chris Metzen's cheesy, over the top, loktar'ogar, "epicness" bullshit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pigbottom posted:

Let me be a little passive aggressive here, to point out that I feel like most of what made WoW story bad was Chris Metzen's cheesy, over the top, loktar'ogar, "epicness" bullshit.

Yeah but if you take that away there’s nothing left.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So I think the song that plays in the Ala Mhigan resistance base is apparently the Imperial anthem? Kinda goofy if so, lol. The Imperial anthem is good btw, it is a very realistic sounding anthem.

Minor spoiler I guess: that melody is the Ala Mhigan anthem. The Empire took the melody and wrote their own lyrics to it as a way of hijacking Ala Mhigan culture.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah but if you take that away there’s nothing left.

True, I guess. But It's a such wasted oportunity. Their setting and art style would be so perfect for a more Terry Pratchet kind of "gentle" and humorous social critique.

drat with all those mmos out there we ended up without a discworld mmo. Maybe is for the best, but a guy can dream...

edit: On the subject of statics now that I'm leveling a NA character I might consider looking for a goon static if I can find some time to play during the week. The thing is, I bounced really bad from this game on SB release due to a bad pub static experience.
I announced in that lfg discord that I was a new player looking for a static that wouldn't mind me being bad. They seemed fine at first, but after a while, everyone started bickering with each other and being super frustrated and passive aggressive to the point where I started dreading when Tuesday was getting close and just stopped logging in at some point.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 26, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Last night I was in an o11n where the tank was just completely unable to hold still and kept spinning the boss and walking it all over the place, resulting in poo poo like a Larboard that covered 90+% of the map. We asked him to try to hold still and he got all indignant. "Lol this isn't savage I can do what I want"

After the inevitable wipe, we pulled again and he died about 1/3 of the way through. Other tank said he's got this so we just left the shmuck on the ground and finished the fight without him. He spent the whole time claiming he had a GM watching us for actionable harassment which was original at least.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Argas posted:

WoW did start releasing the Chronicle series of lorebooks.

But they've already gone and retconned some stuff in the first book in a later volume.

Yeah I have a real problem with how almost casually the WoW team goes about retconning the old bits whenever they don't fit with whatever they have in mind.

On a side note I hope it's possible to "catch up" with the Doman reconstruction because I just started last week and I kinda want to complete it before the new expansion but the weekly cap feels low and I have no idea how high it goes.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 26, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

For the Burn final boss, any tips for the checkerboard AOE or flying AOE? I was shamed into a life of weaving last night after my pug failed the duty and just couldn't beat it. I thought I healed good :smith:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

On a side note I hope it's possible to "catch up" with the Doman reconstruction because I just started last week and I kinda want to complete it before the new expansion but the weekly cap feels low and I have no idea how high it goes.

This was possible during the last patches, after you exhausted the available "quests" it didn't progress for several weeks and I assume this will happen again after one finishes the current storyline after x weeks of turnins.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

orcane posted:

This was possible during the last patches, after you exhausted the available "quests" it didn't progress for several weeks and I assume this will happen again after one finishes the current storyline after x weeks of turnins.

That makes sense, I was having a hard time finding info on it earlier but now I think I have it. It'll just take like two months.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Eltoasto posted:

For the Burn final boss, any tips for the checkerboard AOE or flying AOE? I was shamed into a life of weaving last night after my pug failed the duty and just couldn't beat it. I thought I healed good :smith:

The flying AoE is pretty easy - run around the edge till you find the line. It's invisible if you're in it.

Other than that, I think the big trick involves the targeted puddle - drop it near an edge, get out asap, and try not to trap anyone with it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Sony is allowing PS4 fortnite to start crossplaying with other consoles so I wouldn't be surprised to see an Xbox one port finally get made

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ran deltascape v1-4 for the first time last night

v2 (gravity eyeball) and v3 (ribbit girl) are fun as heck

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish there was some sort of reward for running normal mode trials.

I really enjoy normal Byakko and especially normal Suzaku but I have no desire to try the savage modes but have no reason to redo the normal modes.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Mordiceius posted:

I really enjoy normal Byakko and especially normal Suzaku but I have no desire to try the savage modes but have no reason to redo the normal modes.

I feel the same way. It's kind of shame because after you do them once for the clear you could just never see those fights again if they don't come up on trials roulette.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

helping a newbie through them and watching them die repeatedly while the party still clears around them is its own reward, but that only comes up so often.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARR Story primals had weapon drops. Like if Susaku normal or whatever dropped a 365 weapon, I don't think that would be problematic. The old tomestone weapons are better.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

ARR Story primals had weapon drops. Like if Susaku normal or whatever dropped a 365 weapon, I don't think that would be problematic. The old tomestone weapons are better.

Hell, even if it was just a lovely accessory that was immediately outclassed. Just some reason to run it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah I am going through Sigma now, but the ribbit fight was great.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kaubocks posted:

I just finished O5-7 last night and O2 remains my favorite so far.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Why, god, have I never done raids on a tuesday night? O9-12N in the space of 1h30, including some waiting for friends to watch cutscenes and a couple wipes on O12 (but now I know all the mechanics!)

the best part was the final phase of O12, raidwide comes down and my healer buddy (running for the first time) mics up "...did they just limit break us?"

Good times, really enjoying this raid tier

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't feel obligated to do savage if you don't want to, but just so you know, O4S / O8S / O12S have entire super boss phases that don't exist in the normal versions. They're worth the effort of doing if harder raids are your thing!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm searching not hard at all for a static that will support my "sometimes I might not play for a week and a half straight" playstyle

also I'm on Mateus with friends so the immediate "join a goon group" suggestion is not so helpful

preemptive shut up Rhymenocerous the erp isn't even that bad over here

e: I said the wrong RP server. Mateus is the Balmung refugee camp

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 26, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChickenWing posted:

I'm on Balmung

thoughts and prayers

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I just transferred to Balmung to play with some friends and nah, the ERP crap really is just kind of out in the open. Party finder is...a thing.

On the other hand, everything costs 1/3 or 1/4 as much as it did on Adamantoise and that’s really cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mordiceius posted:

My man, have you heard about wonderous trials!?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should I be at all concerned that if I don't finish the MSQ soon enough it'll be hard to find people to do all the Stormblood raid content with, or do I have a while? At my current rate it'll probably be at least a couple weeks until I finish that. Doing the Binding Coils stuff actually makes me kind of curious about these raids, even though I've never really raided in an MMO before; it's kinda fun learning the mechanics and doing them correctly, and the plot stuff was also cool. I'm currently periodically checking Party Finder for the Heavensward raids (they actually seem to be less common on there than Binding Coils for some reason).

Harrow posted:

Minor spoiler I guess: that melody is the Ala Mhigan anthem. The Empire took the melody and wrote their own lyrics to it as a way of hijacking Ala Mhigan culture.

The Empire's colonialism is surprisingly realistic in various ways. Stuff like privileging certain native members to defang resistance, as well as having the colonizer have some sort of not-explicitly-evil (but paternalistic) motivation but in practice the on-the-ground soldiers commit atrocities constantly (various Ala Mhigans have mentioned having relatives randomly killed/grievously injured by Imperial troops).

The Grimace posted:

I honestly think FF MMOs are the only ones to keep my attention thanks to the aesthetics and story focus. If not for both of these, I'd go back to single player games.

Same here; FF has a good balance where it's more like a single-player game where you occasionally group with people to do things (and still have the choice of focusing on a lot of group content if you want). Granted, WoW is also pretty good in this regard, though its story/setting/characters/etc aren't really good enough that it's as enjoyable to me as a single-player experience.

Like, when I go home and play the FF14 MSQ I'm curious and excited to find out what happens next. I never really got that same sort of feeling from WoW. It had some really good/interesting quests (and honestly WoW does some cool things that FFXIV doesn't in terms of interesting mechanics), but they just sort of "made leveling more enjoyable" rather than being something I'd enjoy solely for the plot.

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah, that's basically the sort of thing I was referring to with my comments about "Western/US nerd culture"

That's basically one of the things that sort of characterizes that general "feel" to certain media.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I have a real problem with how almost casually the WoW team goes about retconning the old bits whenever they don't fit with whatever they have in mind.

I totally agree. I may be wrong, but I imagine Yoshi P being as prominent in the head of the team allows them to have a better "bigger picture" view on the game and to keep a consistent story and then proceed to make content that fit into it.
I still really enjoy wow, but it feels like they just build whatever they think sounds cool and then they find a way to make it fit shoehorn it into the game lore.

And it's not just the lore, blizzard must be the most ADD-riddled developer in the history of video-games by now. Every expansion they seem compelled to ditch whole game systems just because. The game is full of vestigial systems hanging in there to rot.

On that note, I know it's almost unthinkable (see SE own ARR story + blizzard and cataclysm), but I still would love to see another "back to the tree cities" expansion.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 26, 2018

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
There's a few goons on Balmung, I'm probably the most active. If you want to add me (Estelle Auberlaint) I can help out with stuff or invite you to the goon linkshell, though it's not terribly active.

Also, I've said it before, but I get more horny tells on my Excal alt than I do on Balmung. :thunk: Maybe being a nerd-married grey elf turns off the hormy members of the community? At least compared to a (still grey) catgirl.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

I'm searching not hard at all for a static that will support my "sometimes I might not play for a week and a half straight" playstyle

also I'm on Mateus with friends so the immediate "join a goon group" suggestion is not so helpful

preemptive shut up Rhymenocerous the erp isn't even that bad over here

e: I said the wrong RP server. Mateus is the Balmung refugee camp

Cross-realm linkshells my person. They're made for people who want to roll on their own world

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, I've said it before, but I get more horny tells on my Excal alt than I do on Balmung. :thunk:

I refuse to believe this because I haven't gotten a single horny tell, and there's nothing hotter than a naked male roegadyn in a subligar.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Renegret posted:

I refuse to believe this because I haven't gotten a single horny tell, and there's nothing hotter than a naked male roegadyn in a subligar.

theyre just too intimidated.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ok, I think I'm done with my seasonal cycle.

Every time I try to roll a new char in NA, I decide I'm done with healing, it's to stressful (and mouse over macros in this game are a bit lovely) and I'll be better rolling as a PLD. Then halfway there I get bored and go back to healing, but promise this time I'll main WHM co's SCH is too clunky and I'm still pissed that I can't heal with my good pal carbuncle. And now here I am, playing SCH again... :negative:

I'm still at arcanist and I haven't logged in with my EU sch to try it. Did they really make controlling the faerie better?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Renegret posted:

Your muscle slider better be maxed

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ChickenWing posted:

Why, god, have I never done raids on a tuesday night? O9-12N in the space of 1h30, including some waiting for friends to watch cutscenes and a couple wipes on O12 (but now I know all the mechanics!)

I drew this years ago:

But you get the idea. Three things I'd change about the graph now:

* Savage is available from day 1 of the patch, and I'm not sure how that affects the initial tailoff period.
* Big cutoffs at week 4, 7, and 8. First one is when you finish gearing your main, 7 is tome weapon, and 8 is finish gearing alt.
* After a point, the spikes should get less-tall than previous reset Tuesdays, until it just tails off and craters to zero because they don't need anything from normal 8-man anymore.

edit: mother fucker, why is this rotated?
edit edit: fix'd

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 26, 2018

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

There's a few goons on Balmung, I'm probably the most active. If you want to add me (Estelle Auberlaint) I can help out with stuff or invite you to the goon linkshell, though it's not terribly active.

I edited - I'm on the less bad RP server

orange juche posted:

Cross-realm linkshells my person. They're made for people who want to roll on their own world

how do i do this thing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

Should I be at all concerned that if I don't finish the MSQ soon enough it'll be hard to find people to do all the Stormblood raid content with, or do I have a while? At my current rate it'll probably be at least a couple weeks until I finish that. Doing the Binding Coils stuff actually makes me kind of curious about these raids, even though I've never really raided in an MMO before; it's kinda fun learning the mechanics and doing them correctly, and the plot stuff was also cool. I'm currently periodically checking Party Finder for the Heavensward raids (they actually seem to be less common on there than Binding Coils for some reason).

Take the MSQ at your own pace. The next raid content is coming out in 4.5, and the old raid tiers have been added to Wonderous Trials to keep some interest up outside of the raid completion coin that you can turn in to upgrade gear. It might not instapop, but people will still be doing Rabanasty and Lighthouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

orange juche posted:

Your muscle slider better be maxed

At this point they should just remove the slider altogether