Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
They are all bad for new players because it is hard to catch up and/or you have to wait for event reruns.

The new game from Nintendo/Cygames starts later this week if you want to get in on the ground floor. Dragalia Lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dogsupremacy posted:

which one of the star gatcha bullshit games is the best. The Fire Emblem tactics one is kinda fun but it seems like its been out awhile and has layers and layers of different nonsense already stacked on for long time players while the new player content is garbo. Is there any other ones that are worthwhile.

how is fire emblem bad as a new player. are you just mad that you can't tackle some wacky skull-crushing special event dungeon after playing for 30 minutes? gachas are bad but fire emblem at least has real gameplay

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

dogsupremacy posted:

which one of the star gatcha bullshit games is the best. The Fire Emblem tactics one is kinda fun but it seems like its been out awhile and has layers and layers of different nonsense already stacked on for long time players while the new player content is garbo. Is there any other ones that are worthwhile.

FEH is probably one of the better ones for new players, it's fairly generous with giving out summon currency and free characters.

There's some really hard content that only people with really good teams and understanding of the game can beat, but so far I have never seen them lock anything of importance behind those battles, it seems to just be there to give whales and master minmaxers something to challenge their monster teams.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 26, 2018

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Dragalia Lost is coming out on Thursday and is also done by Nintendo, which means in gatcha genre it'll be on the upper tier.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone playing Dungeon Maker? Last time I had survey bucks, I meant to get Guild of Dungeoneering, but got confused and thought Dungeon Maker was the game I had been thinking of. I was going to refund it but then I decided to try it out and wow, I'm very impressed. And they keep updating it, fixing the flow and graphics, newer shortcuts, etc.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone playing Dungeon Maker? Last time I had survey bucks, I meant to get Guild of Dungeoneering, but got confused and thought Dungeon Maker was the game I had been thinking of. I was going to refund it but then I decided to try it out and wow, I'm very impressed. And they keep updating it, fixing the flow and graphics, newer shortcuts, etc.
It has its own thread.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859554

There's a whole thread for it.

The game is surprisingly deep.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, wow, thanks! Had no idea, obviously.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I was wondering if people were going to give a single flaming poo poo about Dragalia. Looks like the answer is: maybe!

For what it's worth, Granblue Fantasy, the real flagship title of the developer in question, is probably my favorite mobile title overall (I think Japan FGO does some things better/in a more player-friendly fashion, but it also has a few issues FGO doesn't) so I'm extremely interested in how Dragalia will turn out, especially with Nintendo overseeing it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I'm assuming there's no crossplay between Android and iOS for it? IGN put out a gameplay vid which looked decent enough.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
I'm making an alliance for C&C Rivals. There's no USSR flag and the Russian Federation one just doesn't have the same chutzpah. Look up "We shall have RESPECT" and I'll add you.

For folks that haven't played it: progression is Clash Royale, gameplay is hex based movement fighting over control points. Controls feel intuitive, looks good, no Frank Klepacki music.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dungeon Maker is good poo poo. Especially once you buy out a bunch of the original Abyss packs and can start carrying your traps and monsters from one run to the next.

Going back to FFRK for a second, it's interesting their strategy for boosting monetization. It's unique in that it doesn't prime the pump on low odds ultra rare gacha like almost every other company. The one time years ago it tried screwing with the odds the fanbase found out immediately and rioted so hard Fortune actually wrote an article about it.

The gist of it is that for the new end game content it's all about quantity. For example the new realm-based dungeons basically require a team composed solely of characters from its own Final Fantasy game. There's 17 FF games represented in FFRK so that's essentially 85 characters minimum you need good relics on to beat all of the end game so far. There's also new elemental dungeons that require a similar amount of setup for elemental teams of both magic and physical so you see where that's going. That's a lot of teams and characters to setup and equip.

Anyway, I think the fanbase hasn't been bitter about this (at least I've seen on reddit) is mostly that FFRK can afford to be generous about giving away relics or premium currency, or even letting you select exactly what relic you want in pulls, because you're not working on one or two A teams like most gacha. Even if you get a really good relic through the free daily draw (15% odds of 5+ or better), it'll only go so far in the end game content. The flipside to this is also that if you're a new player you can easily setup an A team to devour all the non end game content extremely easily since there's no real restrictions on team makeup.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Dungeon Maker is good poo poo. Especially once you buy out a bunch of the original Abyss packs and can start carrying your traps and monsters from one run to the next.

Going back to FFRK for a second, it's interesting their strategy for boosting monetization. It's unique in that it doesn't prime the pump on low odds ultra rare gacha like almost every other company. The one time years ago it tried screwing with the odds the fanbase found out immediately and rioted so hard Fortune actually wrote an article about it.

The gist of it is that for the new end game content it's all about quantity. For example the new realm-based dungeons basically require a team composed solely of characters from its own Final Fantasy game. There's 17 FF games represented in FFRK so that's essentially 85 characters minimum you need good relics on to beat all of the end game so far. There's also new elemental dungeons that require a similar amount of setup for elemental teams of both magic and physical so you see where that's going. That's a lot of teams and characters to setup and equip.

Anyway, I think the fanbase hasn't been bitter about this (at least I've seen on reddit) is mostly that FFRK can afford to be generous about giving away relics or premium currency, or even letting you select exactly what relic you want in pulls, because you're not working on one or two A teams like most gacha. Even if you get a really good relic through the free daily draw (15% odds of 5+ or better), it'll only go so far in the end game content. The flipside to this is also that if you're a new player you can easily setup an A team to devour all the non end game content extremely easily since there's no real restrictions on team makeup.

This jives exactly with my experience having started in July. It's the second least predatory gacha I've played.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

thuly posted:

I'm making an alliance for C&C Rivals. There's no USSR flag and the Russian Federation one just doesn't have the same chutzpah. Look up "We shall have RESPECT" and I'll add you.

For folks that haven't played it: progression is Clash Royale, gameplay is hex based movement fighting over control points. Controls feel intuitive, looks good, no Frank Klepacki music.

I've been enjoying it but is the beta wide open yet? If not it will be a wait before more goons can join

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

NinjaDebugger posted:

This jives exactly with my experience having started in July. It's the second least predatory gacha I've played.

Whats the first?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Whats the first?

Fantasy war tactics, which didn't make enough money and got sold to valofe and is dying. It was super player friendly, though.

Same equipment gacha concept as ffrk, but most gear not character locked, and in season two they introduced a mileage bar, so every fifteen or so ten pulls you get to choose a max rarity set. And that pull total includes the daily free pull, which is on banner and at full normal rates.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how is fire emblem bad as a new player. are you just mad that you can't tackle some wacky skull-crushing special event dungeon after playing for 30 minutes? gachas are bad but fire emblem at least has real gameplay

Yeah, out of all gachas I tried, FE was the one to keep me playing after a week. I love the idea of a bite-sized TRPG. Even if you don't want to engage with fifty different currencies and game mods, you still can get pretty far into the campaign.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Harvest Moon: Light of Hope is now out. It's $14.99.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Did Natsume fire their art department or something? Harvest Moon games have all been looking like poo poo since, like, the Gamecube days.

Anyway I'm not expecting much but has anyone played this one? Is it any good?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Morpheus posted:

Did Natsume fire their art department or something? Harvest Moon games have all been looking like poo poo since, like, the Gamecube days.

The OG group, Marvelous, doesn't do Harvest Moons anymore, but they did do the Monster Hunter Stories game that also just released on Android.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Morpheus posted:

Anyway I'm not expecting much but has anyone played this one? Is it any good?

Natsume has not localized a 'Story of Seasons' title since they decided to make their own Harvest Moon titles. Basically, they have no experience in making their own games but are banking on the name recognition in order to try and fool people into buying their terrible self developed titles.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Dragalia Lost is available on the Play Store now. Download is supposed to be around 2.6gb. Server opens at 3am Eastern, midnight Pacific, 4pm Japan etc.

Edit: Welp. Can't download more than the ~80mb APK until the servers go up.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 27, 2018

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

grrarg posted:

Dragalia Lost is available on the Play Store now. Download is supposed to be around 2.6gb. Server opens at 3am Eastern, midnight Pacific, 4pm Japan etc.

Incompatible with my devices O_o All six of them. That can't be right

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

tentacles posted:

Google's Play Store uses the same error message when the game is not available in your region. The APK is up on apkpure though and it launches just fine on my filthy, foreign device. They might prevent me from registering later or something, but we'll see.

Edit: Nope, game runs but trying to play now that the servers are up gets me a device not authorized error and I don't care enough to use a VPN. That or it's an emulator thing.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 27, 2018

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Det_no posted:

Google's Play Store uses the same error message when the game is not available in your region. The APK is up on apkpure though and it launches just fine on my filthy, foreign device. They might prevent me from registering later or something, but we'll see.

Ahhhhh no wonder. I'll give side-loading a shot, thanks!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

grrarg posted:

The reviews are great already.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'll... wait until I get home from work tomorrow to download it. I hope goons will have some advice for it by then...

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kheldarn posted:

I'll... wait until I get home from work tomorrow to download it. I hope goons will have some advice for it by then...

There's probably going to be a lot of rerolling tonight; the 5* rates for things that matter look fairly bad. (The real question will be just how much that truly matters.)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Good thing is you're guaranteed at least ten rolls from the bonus plus whatever tutorial stuff so it'll be easy to get something you want.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

tentacles posted:

Are they all rooted? Nintendo blocks rooted devices.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

grrarg posted:

Nah, just a couple. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp lists them all as incompatible as well so I'm guessing it's a regional issue or Nintendo just hates me in particular

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

There's probably going to be a lot of rerolling tonight; the 5* rates for things that matter look fairly bad. (The real question will be just how much that truly matters.)

At very least I got 2x 10 pulls after the intro. If you set a helper you get 300 currency to help for your second pull.

It also appears you can draw 5* dragons, weapons and characters. I ended up getting a 5* Dragon Joan of Arc. I have no idea if it's good but I'll keep moving with it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You guys are aware that things other than 5* allow you to still play some of these games, right?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

You guys are aware that things other than 5* allow you to still play some of these games, right?

If we don't have a dragon to chase then what's the point.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

m.hache posted:

If we don't have a dragon to chase then what's the point.

I mean they are being generous and when rooted its incredibly easy to reroll so I'm gonna get my 5* cause why not. It's a time honoured tradition to reroll for far too long for stuff that is probably obsolete shortly.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Either way, once you guys/gals figure out you're going to play, my IGN is ArteaSA.

Friend ID: 1705 0946 552

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Pretty sure the answer is no because Goons can't just have fun

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grrarg posted:

Says it's incompatible with my devices, though I'm in Canada so maybe a release here is being delayed. Or my phone is just too old I guess (Galaxy S6).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Says it's incompatible with my devices, though I'm in Canada so maybe a release here is being delayed. Or my phone is just too old I guess (Galaxy S6).

I Sideloaded it using the APK here in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

Pretty sure the answer is no because Goons can't just have fun

Or, y'know, optimization is fun for some people.