Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, there’s a fair few DX characters doing things that set up where they are in DX (Everett, Manderly, Bob Page, DuClair, etc) that it’s definitely more prequel than soft reboot.

That said, the story has taken some quirky turns especially in regards to Augs . In the original game Augs weren't even mentioned all that much, it was just kind of accepted technology instead of the massive-societal shift / social disruption as presented in HR/MD.

I could see them maybe one day doing a "Re-image" of the original Deus Ex ala Final Fantasy VII remake. Though that's probably just a pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That said, the story has taken some quirky turns especially in regards to Augs . In the original game Augs weren't even mentioned all that much, it was just kind of accepted technology instead of the massive-societal shift / social disruption as presented in HR/MD.

I could see them maybe one day doing a "Re-image" of the original Deus Ex ala Final Fantasy VII remake. Though that's probably just a pipe dream.

So they'll make a big public announcement and whoever they choose to direct the project won't be aware of this fact ahead of time and then it will never be heard from again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like there's a disconnect between the first DE and HR/MD with regards to the almost... silliness of some of the concepts. In the original DE, part of the world building was 'all conspiracies are true', and you can go to Area 51 and find literal aliens. The Jensen games have a more serious tone, and I don't feel like they'd support those ideas appearing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't think those were aliens. You can find some email or whatever that says they're a result of the "bovine manipulation project."

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Isn't HR/MD a soft reboot anyway?

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like there's a disconnect between the first DE and HR/MD with regards to the almost... silliness of some of the concepts. In the original DE, part of the world building was 'all conspiracies are true', and you can go to Area 51 and find literal aliens. The Jensen games have a more serious tone, and I don't feel like they'd support those ideas appearing.

HR had a lot of ~auteur~ nonsense from the new team's leads, which is why there's such a disconnect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prav posted:

HR had a lot of ~auteur~ nonsense from the new team's leads, which is why there's such a disconnect.
?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The first Deus Ex is very much a game of it's time, plot wise. Being that post-cold war but pre-9/11 era in America where we were obsessed with conspiracy theories, aliens, New World Order, one world government, ect.
Men in Black, Enemy of the State, the Xfiles, ect are all themes / tropes that Deus Ex harps on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah in that sense the original game is really of its time. It's got that crazy late-90s millennarianism thing down absolutely pat but it feels a bit odd when you look at it today. Even though Alex Jones is now somehow semi-mainstream or whatever.

(Bloodlines, weirdly, is another game with the same sort of feel, even though it came out much later).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think those were aliens. You can find some email or whatever that says they're a result of the "bovine manipulation project."
They were Greys, though, which were/are a big cultural trope at the time (I guess they sorta still are). Even "bovine manipulation project" is basically a riff on "cattle mutilation", which was a big thing in 90s UFO conspiracies. The aliens in the original XCom game, which also tipped its hat to all kinds of real-world conspiracy theories, have an entire mission type dedicated to exactly this.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 26, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zephro posted:

Yeah in that sense the original game is really of its time. It's got that crazy late-90s millennarianism thing down absolutely pat but it feels a bit odd when you look at it today. Even though Alex Jones is now somehow semi-mainstream or whatever.

(Bloodlines, weirdly, is another game with the same sort of feel, even though it came out much later).

I think the semi-mainstreamness of Alex Jones is why it wouldn’t work today. Everyone talking about that kind of poo poo now are objectively terrible people and not just wingnuts.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zephro posted:

I'm currently re-playing the game via Revision and there is a conversation I over-heard in the Paris cafe where you meet up with Reyes. It went something like.

"I do not trust these foreign troops on our soil! They want a United Europe that will be one country, one people that will destroy individual countries, histories, and culture!"

Back in 2000, a conversation like that would have elicit a "meh, sounds like world-dominating MJ12/Illuminate" from me but in 2018, it sounded like a talking point used by any number of right-wing fascist / nationalist parties currently on the rise in Europe. It definitely took me out of the immersion for a bit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The first Deus Ex is very much a game of it's time, plot wise. Being that post-cold war but pre-9/11 era in America where we were obsessed with conspiracy theories, aliens, New World Order, one world government, ect.
Men in Black, Enemy of the State, the Xfiles, ect are all themes / tropes that Deus Ex harps on.
I think it's actually remained more relevant than both of the newer games. Terrorism figures into the story in a big way that they probably didn't anticipate when they wrote it. It's certainly got a lot more to say about the present than any of this "mechanical apartheid" stuff they wrote for the last game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The people making the game were open and honest about their ideas and what they were trying to do and what worked and what didn't, which is pretentious and bad because good games just spring fully-formed from Zeus' head instead of being the work of a bunch of high-falutin' professional artists and designers.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it's actually remained more relevant than both of the newer games. Terrorism figures into the story in a big way that they probably didn't anticipate when they wrote it. It's certainly got a lot more to say about the present than any of this "mechanical apartheid" stuff they wrote for the last game.

Its been almost 20 years since 9/11 while baby jails for children of immigrants who are forcibly separated from their parents exist right now.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 26, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The world we live in right now is heavily influenced by people who live every day of their lives like it's 9/12/01. I don't remember baby jails being a plot point unless it was buried in text somewhere. Maybe instead of this silly poo poo about locking away people with augs, they should have blatantly made them immigrants fleeing climate change or terrorism.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The world we live in right now is heavily influenced by people who live every day of their lives like it's 9/12/01. I don't remember baby jails being a plot point unless it was buried in text somewhere. Maybe instead of this silly poo poo about locking away people with augs, they should have blatantly made them immigrants fleeing climate change or terrorism.

There was brief scene in Human Revolution where you saw people being herded into FEMA camps, which could have had a really interesting thing to say about where our society was headed.

Then in MD they went all in on "AUG LIVES MATTER" and, welp.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm currently re-playing the game via Revision and there is a conversation I over-heard in the Paris cafe where you meet up with Reyes. It went something like.

"I do not trust these foreign troops on our soil! They want a United Europe that will be one country, one people that will destroy individual countries, histories, and culture!"

Back in 2000, a conversation like that would have elicit a "meh, sounds like world-dominating MJ12/Illuminate" from me but in 2018, it sounded like a talking point used by any number of right-wing fascist / nationalist parties currently on the rise in Europe. It definitely took me out of the immersion for a bit.
Deus Ex is ahead of the curve.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There was brief scene in Human Revolution where you saw people being herded into FEMA camps, which could have had a really interesting thing to say about where our society was headed.

Then in MD they went all in on "AUG LIVES MATTER" and, welp.

Mankind Divided is really more about immigration and refugees than racism, the driving force of a lot of the game's setting and plot is augs being displaced after the world turned on them for going nuts at the end of HR and figuring out what to do with them, it even has "papers, please" checkpoints between areas and an entire aug ghetto as a level. It's muddled and has the X-Men issue of the augs actually being demonstrably dangerous by wont of existing but I feel like that one Aug Lives Matter piece of concept art just made everyone turn off their brains and dismiss everything that came afterward.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They didn't need to do some dumb analogy at all. They could have had a refugee crisis spurred by real world causes, and Adam hunting down an Ilumanati conspiracy amongst that story. They could have made people think about real world issues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'll take escapism over real world issues, every single time, in video games.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i had not seen any concept art for MD and i quit during the train station intro because that was some of the dumbest poo poo i've seen in a video game

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Scalding Coffee posted:

I'll take escapism over real world issues, every single time, in video games.

You said it, brother/sister. I don't mind humour in games at all if it's done well, but I really don't want to be reminded of the horrible world full of horrible people in which we live. It's the same reason that I don't like games to scare me or make me sad... real life is sad and terrifying, and I'm trying to escape from that.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I don't even know why people bother talking about DX3's "story". It's pure pan-fried AAA garbage. Good gameplay though.

e: :ninja:

tripwood fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 27, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

tripwood posted:

I don't even know why people bother talking about DX3's "story". It's pure pan-fried AAA garbage. Good gameplay though.

My first full DE game (and first PS4 game) was MD and this makes a lot of sense. At no point was I interested in the story beyond a skeleton, but the gameplay and immersion were so outstanding that I recommended it to friends. The same is true for Dishonored 1/2/2.5 which I played right after. But Dark Souls 3/1/Bloodborne had me obsessed with knowing all I could about the story, reading lore theories and scrounging for small details.

It seems like the 2000 gamers' experience with Deus Ex combined the best of both these experiences. I am murderously jealous of you Goons

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've played all DE games and I think HR is the best of both worlds in terms of story and gameplay. I actually have yet to finish MD since it came out as I was 6 hours in and the story wasn't going anywhere.

Being a prequel makes HR (and I suppose MD as well) more interesting since no matter what Adam does things are going to get even worse before they get better. It's pretty bleak and for an AAA game starring a growly manly man that's pretty rare, even if I'm sure the natural endpoint of his trilogy (?) was probably going to be something really stupid like him turning out to be Helios/Icarus from the original.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

it's all canon and it makes gunther hermann the most tragic character

adam jensen got knife arms that also shoot knives like 30 years ago but gunther cant get a skul-gun?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Adam dies and gets turned into a vending machine. In the post credits a familiar voice is heard.

I wanted orange. It gave me lemon-lime...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yeah, exactly. It's jarring now because it's a bit too close to home.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ySTeVlfX8M

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Do we have any argument as to why the devs moved away from the gritty, real world vibe of the original?

Sure it didn’t predict the world would turn into a literal propaganda machine for the wackiest of ideas but who could’ve? The new games feel more like halo than the original Deus Ex. Weak sauce.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

CareyB posted:

Do we have any argument as to why the devs moved away from the gritty, real world vibe of the original?

Sure it didn’t predict the world would turn into a literal propaganda machine for the wackiest of ideas but who could’ve? The new games feel more like halo than the original Deus Ex. Weak sauce.

The first game was made by texans and the new games were made by french-canadians, and if we're talking hellish visions of a late capitalist society in decay Quebec is to Texas what a kiddy slide is to pounding a fifth of scotch and going cliff diving

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

CareyB posted:

I can't speak for Mankind Divided as I only put a few hours into it, but Human Revolution felt gritty enough? I mean the game takes place 20 years before the first game, and society hasn't started to collapse in on itself yet. So it makes sense for the streets to be a bit cleaner, less bums, ect. The world still feels like it is moving towards a police state though, lots of cops, bots on the street. One reason I love the game so much is that it mostly captured the atmosphere / gameplay of the original. I don't know what you mean by "it feels like Halo" unless you mean the gunplay if you went full tankie, but I found that to be an improvement? :confused:

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 27, 2018

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Of the other games HR I put the most into. The world was ok. Lacked any seediness and it was still super futuristic.

If we’re talking dystopia that wasn’t quite it... too glam.

If you’ve seen the film Children of Men I think that captures a similar feel to Deus Ex. The universe is just relatable enough to make it a tangible experience. Like you could almost smell parts of it.

Those moments of awe when you just kind of take in the environment but not for any reason other than you are just there- Deus Ex has that spades when you think about it.

Just a shame so many of the youngens find it hard to get into cos of its beautiful jank. Still feels smooth knocking people down without a loving cutscene tho...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Willie Tomg posted:

The first game was made by texans and the new games were made by french-canadians, and if we're talking hellish visions of a late capitalist society in decay Quebec is to Texas what a kiddy slide is to pounding a fifth of scotch and going cliff diving

Central Texas, post Ruby Ridge no less.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Willie Tomg posted:

I used to live in Montréal, and I laughed so hard when I read this I choked on my beverage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I dunno, I thought DXHR captured the original feeling pretty well in terms of grittiness. There was absolutely high tech gleam in a lot of areas, but it was contrasted with places like derelict row in Detroit and the coffin hotels in lower Hengsha. It does a nice job of painting the divide between people with money and those without- and it's something DX did too. The only difference is that DXHR has a heavier ratio of nice places to shitheaps than DX.

I wish the aesthetic had been just a bit less futuristic overall, but I won't knock it too much, it's still reasonably grounded; most of the buildings are still made of brick, concrete, girders, etc. It's not DXIW levels of silliness where everything is nanomachines and alloys.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CareyB posted:

The new Deus Ex games had actual art direction by professional artists. The original was a bunch of grey corridors and disparate bits of technology and design (floating holo-screen computers and chunky wired telephones on the same desk) because it was a bunch of programmers tracing Blade Runner and Shadowrun monster manuals as best they could in the low fidelity of the era rather than as a result of any cohesive visual direction.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GMDX is perfect except for one drat thing: you have to manually unequip Environmental Training suits before you can put on another one. Biomod does it for you automatically, I know this is already possible :argh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who thought it was a good idea to make Jensen's hair and beard look like that ? Were they trolling us ?

He looks like Spigot from jerkcity.

https://youtu.be/YyFG9kdg2RI

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

jonathan posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make Jensen's hair and beard look like that ? Were they trolling us ?

Art Director for the new games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

Art Director for the new games

this is really all you need to know to understand why HR is the way it is