Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my first time fighting Undyne I figured she'd concede out of respect if I kept taunting her and getting through the bullet hell segments unscathed...which in actuality, just makes those segments harder for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just refunded Pathfinder Kingmaker, whoever was balancing random road encounters must have been smoking some rough loving crack (or using krokodil because the devs are russian lol)

a lot of bugs and clear lack of polish too, maybe I'll give it another try down the road

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

CYBEReris posted:

my first time fighting Undyne I figured she'd concede out of respect if I kept taunting her and getting through the bullet hell segments unscathed...which in actuality, just makes those segments harder for no reason
:same: except without the "unscathed" part

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wanted there to be an alternate ending if you chose to stay with goat mom where it just shows your peaceful relaxing days eating pie and reading books by the fire together and nothing bad happens ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1044934624051449857

I have never played an Atelier game but I'm curious about them. Would this be a good place to start?

I've never been interested so I just scroll past when you guys talk about them but what's the verdict on this? I know I haven't retained any information on the games but you guys know more about them than me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
goat mom sucks

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you've seen that picture too?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don’t know whether the golf clap or vomiting emoji would be more appropriate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

no that was a different picture

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hated toriel immediately and after attempting to spare her for like a couple turns and making no seeming progress murdered her. Then I quit playing a little while later because hoo boy did I find combat boring and didnt want to figure out how to kill everyone.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

frajaq posted:

just refunded Pathfinder Kingmaker, whoever was balancing random road encounters must have been smoking some rough loving crack (or using krokodil because the devs are russian lol)

a lot of bugs and clear lack of polish too, maybe I'll give it another try down the road
Yeah it's loving BRUTAL. Wolves running around like they're wearing full plate and poo poo, and there's scores of them.

I'm too early to give an opinion, other than the start is extremely rocky on the difficulty side and the game certainly has a ton of complexity going on, and the UI is really slick. I honestly just put it off to the side in the meantime while I play DQ11/CrossCode.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

toriel's annoying but her actions stem from a pretty horrific trauma and are more understandable in hindsight

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

Well at least you managed to play it, I backed the KS and can't figure out how to get my product key

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Isn’t Pathfinder still stuck with old DnD caster supremacy? Is the solution to the difficulty to roll a whole team of casters?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Isn’t Pathfinder still stuck with old DnD caster supremacy? Is the solution to the difficulty to roll a whole team of casters?

Its a computer game so by its nature some the most busted aspects of caster supremacy dont exist and they get to actual enforce all the tedious rules that try to balance casters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I've never been interested so I just scroll past when you guys talk about them but what's the verdict on this? I know I haven't retained any information on the games but you guys know more about them than me.

theyre laidback goofy crafting simulators. if you have no pressing need to play them id wait for them to announce ports of the dusk trilogy because ayesha and escha and logy are two of the best games this series has ever produced, while only totori is really exceptional of the arland series, imo.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

frajaq posted:

What do you mean by lack of polish?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

I wanted there to be an alternate ending if you chose to stay with goat mom where it just shows your peaceful relaxing days eating pie and reading books by the fire together and nothing bad happens ever.
I stayed there for so long listening to snail facts. She told me not to go into the basement and why would I say no to my goat mom :saddowns:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Barudak posted:

Its a computer game so by its nature some the most busted aspects of caster supremacy dont exist and they get to actual enforce all the tedious rules that try to balance casters.

On the other hand, it's Pathfinder, so you also have to deal with all the tedious rules trying to balance non-casters. Weapon cords are clearly unfair!

also I am not even remotely surprised no one ever actually playtested random encounters in a Pathfinder game. *looks at Jade Regent* memories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean even if you followed their monster difficulty rating system youd still get blown out six ways from sunday. Pathfinder math is baaaaad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nick Buntline posted:

On the other hand, it's Pathfinder, so you also have to deal with all the tedious rules trying to balance non-casters. Weapon cords are clearly unfair!

also I am not even remotely surprised no one ever actually playtested random encounters in a Pathfinder game. *looks at Jade Regent* memories.

I don't think weapon cord errata and similar stuff is going to have anything to do with how a crpg plays

same with encounter CR

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

They said on the steam forums they're looking at changing the algorithms for the road combat generation because it's producing fights that physically can't be won.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

I'm so garbage at these games but it sounded fun, so far I'm uh... stuck at character creation.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nick Buntline posted:

It was publicly playtested actually, they made it easier by all accounts. But personally I don't trust public play testing very much these days. I suspect their efforts were focused specifically on the normal difficulty though? It's hard to tell this early. If I had played the current version of PoE2 on the harder difficulty, I'd also call the starting island a cluster gently caress of balancing too because that game gets insanely much easier after a few levels and only then does the difficulty fall in line.

The biggest issue is when you are picking difficulties, the challenging level is advertised as the core Pathfinder rules. But individual difficulty buffs are definitely appearing in the form of big AC bonuses and poo poo that appear sway beyond what I'd expect in core rules. Thankfully the solution here is to go into the custom difficulty and uncheck the buffed enemies, at least insofar as the start is concerned. It's still pretty rough going at the start though.

But there's probably a lot of people just playing who are not familiar with Pathfinder or using their D&D knowledge mistakenly. I just dipped into the reddit and saw so many people complaining about their spellcasters missing and that's probably because they just don't know that making targeted range touch spells outside of melee takes a -4 accuracy penalty unless you have the precise shot talent, etc.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone got opinions on Bard's Tale 4 and Pathfinder Kingmaker?

My Steam review on BT4, only thing I'd add now is a note about having to do puzzles for a significant portion of the game.

TL;DR I've got mixed feelings about recommending BT4 right now - the game itself is cool and good, but some of the design choices and the outstanding bugs make it hard to easily recommend to people.

I'm liking it, but various design choices and outstanding bugs are making it hard to recommend yet. Game's got a pleasant mix of combat and puzzles, feels like something I played in my past. The combat is fairly non-standard; you have 3+ Opportunity points to spend across your entire party's actions every turn. Bard songs and spells have no Opportunity cost, but they require you to generate spell points during combat. It leads to an odd style where I've been setting up 1-3 people to do the majority of my party's damage with the rest standing around as meatshields or support bots.

The environments I've played through so far are very maze-like and keep various puzzles and secrets. Some stuff you need to come back to later after you've learned a song to do a thing, pretty much like getting a new ability in a Metroidvania. Nothing mandatory to getting to the next plot point has been too hard so far, but there are some optional things I've needed to make a note of for later.

That being said, bugs/design choices are pissing me off too frequently. Save points, which you are encouraged to cannibalize for XP. No respeccing, which sucks with named NPCs having skills you don't need/want on them. No inventory sorting (will be patched sometime?), game optimization is poor (again, working on patches for that), I've lost a skill point on one of my characters, and more. It feels like I'm playing a beta test.

But the game itself is enjoyable as someone who's played lots of RPGs. Hopefully most of the questionable stuff will be changed/fixed in a few months and at that point I'd easily recommend buying it sometime.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Your Computer posted:

Is there a thread for Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

I'm so garbage at these games but it sounded fun, so far I'm uh... stuck at character creation.

There's no thread it looks like. I'm playing but I'm not enjoying it - there's too many super strong enemies during quests. Even if I put it on story mode I'm fighting them for ages. For example one of your earliest quests makes you fight a swarm of spiders who are just totally immune to any damage. After googling it I find you need to use AoE stuff. But I haven't got any. So it expects you to buy shitloads of bombs and stuff I guess? For a tiny random sidequest. The first one you get. Or a room of Skeleton Champions that kill any of your guys in two hits and even on Story (where you're basically unkillable) it takes 5 minutes to take them down. There's nowhere to go to grind either, if that's what you'd want to do.
Your combat AI doesn't cast ANY spells either. You have to do it manually, always.

Characters are sort of exposition bots too. I find this hard to put into words but every character has the same "voice" when they're telling you their life and it's so dispassionate and disconnected that it's weird feeling.

And resting is such a loving faff for something you have to do all the time. Jesus christ I can't believe that didn't get cut when it's almost the only way to heal. The game feels like it's forcing you to be an arcane caster too since it's so long until you get one. You can't rest in dungeons without rations and you need to rest a lot as well.
You can't travel if you've got too much stuff in your stash. Every time you leave an area it pops up every SINGLE piece of left loot that you've put on the floor and if you click X to dismiss it then you don't leave. You've got to click "LEAVE" at the bottom. It doesn't tell you where to hand in quests so sometimes you're doing loads of annoying wandering trying to find out where to go.

But the biggest issue is that it feels as though it expects you to have played pathfinder. A lot of the descriptions of classes are REALLY flavour angled and don't give you any loving idea of what you're meant to do. What's an Inquisitor? Even after playing I'm not really sure what it wanted me to do with that class. It's similar with the weapons as well - nearly everything I've found is Exotic and requires a specific proficiency just for that one weapon when I don't even know if it's worth it. My character has Estoc proficiency because why not - but was that a good idea? Who knows!

It's a tabletop RPG translated to the PC in the worst possible way. Like you're playing with a DM who wants to use all the option rules that are just flavour for lunatics. Making me fatigued from walking around, having to rest loads, just too much annoying poo poo.

quote:

Well at least you managed to play it, I backed the KS and can't figure out how to get my product key

You go to owlcat's website and sign in, you should have claimed on the backer portal and you'll have a download key there if you did it properly when they emailed it to you.
If you didn't you'll need to find those emails. They're from ages ago, maybe this time last year.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 26, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

What do you mean by lack of polish?

it's not made by cdpr

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

But the biggest issue is that it feels as though it expects you to have played pathfinder. A lot of the descriptions of classes are REALLY flavour angled and don't give you any loving idea of what you're meant to do. What's an Inquisitor? Even after playing I'm not really sure what it wanted me to do with that class. It's similar with the weapons as well - nearly everything I've found is Exotic and requires a specific proficiency just for that one weapon when I don't even know if it's worth it. My character has Estoc proficiency because why not - but was that a good idea? Who knows!

Having gently caress-all idea what is effective is very accurate to the pathfinder experience (until you have played enough to have broken your brain into all the weird stuff that comes with basically being D&D 3.75e)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

There's no thread it looks like. I'm playing but I'm not enjoying it
- snip -

That's a shame to hear :( I was excited about it because I've wanted to play a dumb fantasy RPG and was hoping it would interest me more than Pillars of Eternity (which didn't really grab me)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Having gently caress-all idea what is effective is very accurate to the pathfinder experience (until you have played enough to have broken your brain into all the weird stuff that comes with basically being D&D 3.75e)

I know and I've seen people saying this a lot but that's a pretty poo poo way to run a game! Hell even at the start when you're picking an animal companion they have different tooltip icons next to their names. Why is that? Well who knows! A dog is a picture of a hand near a fox, a boar is two cat's paws and a mastodon is something else entirely and who loving knows why.

Here's another UI issue - you have no way of knowing how close to death an enemy is. That's part of what makes the big encounters so frustrating. Maybe I've got it to 10% health and I just need to change my tactics or maybe it's full health and I'm wasting my time. But who knows! The game gives no indication at all and that makes it seem even harder than it might actually be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Being able to pore over the character creation options and use the 3.5 principles of what's good that haven't left my brain in over a decade are what I signed up for so I expect to enjoy it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

That's a shame to hear :( I was excited about it because I've wanted to play a dumb fantasy RPG and was hoping it would interest me more than Pillars of Eternity (which didn't really grab me)

Have you played Divinity: Original Sin 2? It's fantastic and might be just what you're looking for.

Taear posted:

I know and I've seen people saying this a lot but that's a pretty poo poo way to run a game! Hell even at the start when you're picking an animal companion they have different tooltip icons next to their names. Why is that? Well who knows! A dog is a picture of a hand near a fox, a boar is two cat's paws and a mastodon is something else entirely and who loving knows why.

Here's another UI issue - you have no way of knowing how close to death an enemy is. That's part of what makes the big encounters so frustrating. Maybe I've got it to 10% health and I just need to change my tactics or maybe it's full health and I'm wasting my time. But who knows! The game gives no indication at all and that makes it seem even harder than it might actually be.

I agree! I'm not a big fan of pathfinder.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Have you played Divinity: Original Sin 2? It's fantastic.

I haven't played any Divinity game and I'm kinda confused about them. I thought they were like co-op games? And can you jump into 2 without having played 1?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I haven't played any Divinity game and I'm kinda confused about them. I thought they were like co-op games? And can you jump into 2 without having played 1?

Playable co-op but it's a full length Baldur's Gate-like single player campaign.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm playing it, too, and not hating it. Some of the road encounter enemies hit hard, but I've never lost a fight. No one in my party is a dedicated spellcaster yet, but you can put a skill on autocast at least.

The whole item pop up is to show you stuff you missed or bodies you didn't click on as you try to leave a room. If you don't want to look at that stuff, ever, then I guess that would be annoying.

I'm only playing off from my knowledge mainly off of POE/Divinity and it's not THAT bad. I like the story and characters/voice actors, can't to say the writing is bad or good yet, but it moves at a good clip and basically just feels like POE with a stricter/closer adherence to DnD rules. As it is so far, it's a fine experience. Normal difficulty btw.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This all sounds like a perfect replication of the Pathfinder experience.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm playing it, too, and not hating it. Some of the road encounter enemies hit hard, but I've never lost a fight. No one in my party is a dedicated spellcaster yet, but you can put a skill on autocast at least.

The whole item pop up is to show you stuff you missed or bodies you didn't click on as you try to leave a room. If you don't want to look at that stuff, ever, then I guess that would be annoying.

I'm only playing off from my knowledge mainly off of POE/Divinity and it's not THAT bad.

It isn't that I don't want to look, I can't pick it up because I'm encumbered but I'm travelling between two screens over and over at Old Sycamore and it's showing me the prompt EVERY TIME.

How far are you that you've not lost a fight?

I hated divinity 2 and love PoE 2 though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

There is barely any connection between 1 and 2. It's perfect for a beginner.

It's really really good. I can't recommend it enough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Newbie tips for DOS2:

--The equipment treadmill kinda sucks. Steal everything that isn't bolted down to keep up with it
--The exp curve is pretty tight and assumes you're doing most sidequests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Newbie tips for DOS2:

--The equipment treadmill kinda sucks. Steal everything that isn't bolted down to keep up with it
--The exp curve is pretty tight and assumes you're doing most sidequests

They lessened the equipment treadmill a bit with the definitive edition. It's still pretty steep but not as bad.

(If you get tired of replacing equipment so often at higher levels there's a mod that flattens the curve a lot. It works fine when installed in the middle of a playthrough)