Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If anything if you wait you'll just get into better Raubahnasty groups as time goes on and people get more geared/ learn 1st Grade math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

So I think the song that plays in the Ala Mhigan resistance base is apparently the Imperial anthem? Kinda goofy if so, lol. The Imperial anthem is good btw, it is a very realistic sounding anthem.

It's the other way around. The Empire took Ala Mhigo's anthem and made it better changed the lyrics.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's the other way around. The Empire took Ala Mhigo's anthem and made it better changed the lyrics.

I was actually disappointed when you finally hear the true Ala Mhigan anthem because it's almost impossible to make out the lyrics from the chorus of voices.

Though I guess that's pretty accurate to a typical anthem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of this, I'm consistently amazed at a English lyrics in this game not being awkward at all. I'm used to English lyrics in Japanese media either having grammar mistakes or having correct grammar but weird/unnatural tempo/timing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sounds like someone hasn’t listened to many Soken/Primals tracks. :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

If anything if you wait you'll just get into better Raubahnasty groups as time goes on and people get more geared/ learn 1st Grade math

math robot is my favorite MMO boss fight in the history of forever, just to watch people flail around.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

math robot is my favorite MMO boss fight in the history of forever, just to watch people flail around.

I love that it gives the people who fail the quizzes a visible debuff so you know exactly who to be disappointed with.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of this, I'm consistently amazed at a English lyrics in this game not being awkward at all. I'm used to English lyrics in Japanese media either having grammar mistakes or having correct grammar but weird/unnatural tempo/timing.

Yeah, Leviathan is very Japanese sounding thanks to Soken, but for almost every other song in the game he has worked with Koji Fox to make sure the lyrics all sound 'right' in English. They do a nice job working together, boom gobbie boom.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Newbie talk. The Grand Company memorial & recruitment speeches were as great as the crowd response voices were terrible ("Where's me cutlass!"). I'm bummed I didn't find out until after that you can set the text to autoplay and tweak the timing because that would have been better than manually clicking. I keep accidentally right clicking and skipping bubbles, then trying to mousewheel back up like it's a visual novel. Finally met the elf twins properly, interested to see where they fit in. When y'all were posting about Alpha so much earlier in the thread I thought you meant Alphinaud until I wondered why his armor was different every time and what's that baby chocobo with him.

Joined up, saved Biggs & Wedge, got my chocobo, and now its off to the sylphs. I hit 30 and can finish off the rogue story and start ninja, though now that I see the rewards for the tank duty queue I kind of wish I'd listened to you guys and stuck with leveling that role first. I was going to head to 50 and swap to DK but maybe I'll swap now if ninja doesn't grab me, since I'm still in the early 20s of the MSQ. Queues are also much slower than they were my first four times so I'm guessing either weekends are better or having to do an instance for the MSQ lets you skip ahead in the queue, like in WoW.

Hanging out with Thancred was weird after hundreds of hours of Critical Role, but I guess Taliesin was recast for HW. Getting hooked on that show has given every game a "spot the voice actor" meta that is sometimes distracting.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just about every actor was changed for HW, I think a small number of them change a little earlier but mostly as soon as you hit the first HW quest all the characters suddenly sound different. Think they might have moved the dub to the UK from HW onwards, about everyone gets a British accent of some kind.

EDIT: Yeah, looking at IMDB most of the new actors have been on British TV at some point.

...Y'shtola is Sera from Dragon Age 3 apparently.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 26, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bagrada posted:

Newbie talk. The Grand Company memorial & recruitment speeches were as great as the crowd response voices were terrible ("Where's me cutlass!"). I'm bummed I didn't find out until after that you can set the text to autoplay and tweak the timing because that would have been better than manually clicking.

When I'm in a long cutscene I take my hand off the mouse and use the numbpad 0 key to advance text boxes. Little more comfortable and I'm a bit of a fidget clicker when reading through things, so that stops me from skipping stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

I edited - I'm on the less bad RP server

how do i do this thing

On the cross realm linkshell thing you need to be in a party with the mod/master of the shell to get an invite to a cross realm linkshell. Can anyone C/D on whether that can be done with a party finder group to join the cross realm shell?

You're also only allowed to be in one cross-realm linkshell at a time, but at least it creates the possibility of joining a goon group without server transferring.

A linkshell is turned from a regular shell to a cross-realm shell in the linkshell list menu (not at the NPC) by the owner of the shell, and then they have 24 hours to add members or the shell will get auto-disbanded by the system (if the shell has less than 2 members).

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 26, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure the lyrics are usually written by Koji and only exist in English for most songs

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a good resource for info on the different servers? Im on Ultros for the road to 60 buff and hoping I didn't make a terrible mistake.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there a good resource for info on the different servers? Im on Ultros for the road to 60 buff and hoping I didn't make a terrible mistake.

I was on Ultros for a long long time before transferring to Excalibur and it's fine.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Server doesn't matter a ton beyond FCs now that crossworld party finder and linkshells are a thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure the lyrics are usually written by Koji and only exist in English for most songs
The Tsukuyomi one has an English AND Japanese section.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nessus posted:

The Tsukuyomi one has an English AND Japanese section.

Byakko too. Suzaku might as well, but I can't tell

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the songs aren't being translated, they're just written in either English or Japanese originally.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I wish there was some sort of reward for running normal mode trials.

I really enjoy normal Byakko and especially normal Suzaku but I have no desire to try the savage modes but have no reason to redo the normal modes.

Every EX primal is an order of magnitude easier than Savage content and you've been seriously missing out on the most fun fights all expansion.

Like, I've got war stories from O3S, but Byakko EX is fun and easy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Byakko and Suzaku both suck because of their dumb, long, unfun phase transition minigames that you have to do every single time you wipe while learning the fight

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

On the cross realm linkshell thing you need to be in a party with the mod/master of the shell to get an invite to a cross realm linkshell. Can anyone C/D on whether that can be done with a party finder group to join the cross realm shell?

yeah i got a CWLS going with some pals by starting a party finder and getting everyone to hop in

KPC_Mammon posted:

you made no mistake getting ROAD TO SIXTY

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Byakko and Suzaku both suck because of their dumb, long, unfun phase transition minigames that you have to do every single time you wipe while learning the fight

Byakko's transition minigame definitely outstayed its welcome quickly, but I don't mind Suzaku's. It seems to be significantly shorter, though that may just be because it is slightly more involved, and it gives me Damage Up stacks so it feels good to get it right every time. If they're gonna keep doing these transition interludes(and we all know they are for at least the rest of the expansion) I'd like to see them take cues from what they did with Suzaku. Honestly Tsukuyomi's add phase is the worst for me by far, it's a cool spectacle on the story mode fight but it is ridiculously tedious after you've wiped while learning a few times.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Hey now, what do you have against Touhou and DDR?

The O11 music is in English but definitely sung by Soken rather than Koji Fox. I'm interested to see what the official lyrics are. Also if you lucked out and got fanfest tickets there's about a 100% chance they will be performing this during the Primals concert.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Suzaku's specifically is a little too tightly tuned and any lag means you're only getting 8 or 9 stacks which is very frustrating

Byakko's is just loooooong and is so easy my brain just turns off during it. If it were actually hard it'd at least be fun if equally out of place

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Every EX primal is an order of magnitude easier than Savage content and you've been seriously missing out on the most fun fights all expansion.

Like, I've got war stories from O3S, but Byakko EX is fun and easy.

For what it's worth, Suzaku EX is nearly impossible for me, and I've cleared O8S several times. Something about the second phase of that fight triggers visual/sensory overload for me and I can't keep track of anything that's going on, like my rotation. Or the instant kill mechanic she's about to fire off. Even the normal version of it gives me trouble.

But yeah, all of the other EX primals are pretty cool+good and (with the possible exception of Shinryu) challenging without being overly difficult.

Also, I'm glad that people liked the comfy winter outfits. Makes bullying my video game husband into modeling one worthwhile. :3:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

For what it's worth, Suzaku EX is nearly impossible for me, and I've cleared O8S several times. Something about the second phase of that fight triggers visual/sensory overload for me and I can't keep track of anything that's going on, like my rotation. Or the instant kill mechanic she's about to fire off. Even the normal version of it gives me trouble.

But yeah, all of the other EX primals are pretty cool+good and (with the possible exception of Shinryu) challenging without being overly difficult.

Also, I'm glad that people liked the comfy winter outfits. Makes bullying my video game husband into modeling one worthwhile. :3:

Can you let me know what the items are? I need the list... for research purposes, especially with winter coming up :3:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Here's my Suzaku pro strat:

There are two patterns of colors--12341234 and 12344321. The former will always go in a circle around the arena, so it just hits the colors twice in order from a random starting point and in a random direction. In both cases, 1 and 4 will be adjacent
First, I identify which pattern is coming up next--the bird always flies clockwise so you have plenty of time to figure it out.
In either case, I move to color 4 initially.
In the 12341234 pattern, I pop sprint and follow the explosions around the arena in a circle
In the 12344321 pattern, I move into 1 as soon as it explodes, then move into 4 after it explodes twice

If you're a DPS hopefully you have your rotation on complete muscle memory so you can just mindlessly execute it while dodging. If you're a healer then may god have mercy on your soul

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Veotax posted:

Just about every actor was changed for HW, I think a small number of them change a little earlier but mostly as soon as you hit the first HW quest all the characters suddenly sound different. Think they might have moved the dub to the UK from HW onwards, about everyone gets a British accent of some kind.

EDIT: Yeah, looking at IMDB most of the new actors have been on British TV at some point.

...Y'shtola is Sera from Dragon Age 3 apparently.

Wow, from the worst character to the best character.

In other news, just did an alphascape normal with a Samurai who did 580 dps. Can you guys spot the mistake he made in his rotation :allears: ?

Philonius fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 26, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Can you get the free 15 days or whatever it is from Road to 60 more than once on an account? Because my sub is about to expire and I'm pretty sure I can hit 30 on a boosted server over the weekend.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Suzaku's specifically is a little too tightly tuned and any lag means you're only getting 8 or 9 stacks which is very frustrating

Byakko's is just loooooong and is so easy my brain just turns off during it. If it were actually hard it'd at least be fun if equally out of place

Theyre cool moments for the neat boss fights of the normal mode that you only see maybe once every few months depending on how often you do Trial Roulette, but just seem out of place for EX which most people grind out over and over.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I've found the enrage timer to be very generous myself. Even with people dying, unless it's a total wipe it's a kill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah getting 10 stacks isn't actually required, it's just frustrating when you can't get them because you don't live on top of the servers

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

Should I be at all concerned that if I don't finish the MSQ soon enough it'll be hard to find people to do all the Stormblood raid content with, or do I have a while? At my current rate it'll probably be at least a couple weeks until I finish that. Doing the Binding Coils stuff actually makes me kind of curious about these raids, even though I've never really raided in an MMO before; it's kinda fun learning the mechanics and doing them correctly, and the plot stuff was also cool. I'm currently periodically checking Party Finder for the Heavensward raids (they actually seem to be less common on there than Binding Coils for some reason).

Nah you’re fine. Coil is the only raid that’s not in roulette, so you’re bound to get the HW and SB raids sooner or later. Most parties doing them in Party Finder are doing it for WTs at this point so they can unsync it quickly

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've honestly never had much issue with the DDR phase and I play with 250ms, but there's probably some weird exception to my internet connection.

I just learnt that there's a high ping three ammo opener for MCH and I only know high ping two ammo which is now obsolete and I really don't want to learn a new opener :negative: Is this what it's like to be old?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Philonius posted:

In other news, just did an alphascape normal with a Samurai who did 580 dps. Can you guys spot the mistake he made in his rotation :allears: ?

Gonna double post but this is so impressively bad that it must be seen again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Philonius posted:

:catstare:

What are combos

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah getting 10 stacks isn't actually required, it's just frustrating when you can't get them because you don't live on top of the servers

They moved Primal not long before I stopped playing and it was way worse after the move. Is it still pretty bad?

Philonius posted:

I only vaguely recall what any of these names are, but is he seriously not using iaijutsu at all? Those are the only really visually appealing things I remember SAM getting, how's a guy gonna stand around spamming 1 2 3 instead?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Meldonox posted:

They moved Primal not long before I stopped playing and it was way worse after the move. Is it still pretty bad?

It's been way better for me since they moved it since I'm west coast, Suzaku is just needlessly precise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Meldonox posted:

I only vaguely recall what any of these names are, but is he seriously not using iaijutsu at all? Those are the only really visually appealing things I remember SAM getting, how's a guy gonna stand around spamming 1 2 3 instead?

Hahahaha, no, that would be way better than what he's actually doing.

Samurai have two 1-2-3 combos and one 1-2 combo. They all use the same 1. This guy used that 1 ability twice. In the entire fight.

He's spamming the combo finisher moves without doing the combos at all. I mean, enpi is 11% of his damage. loving ENPI.

An ordinary bad samurai would be wasting his sen by only ever using it on Midare, instead of keeping Higanbana (the dot) up, or using Hagakure to turn it into kenki. Not wasting sen because you don't actually get any sen is galaxy brain level bad.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 26, 2018