Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

predicto posted:

all ballot initiatives should be opposed except for the ones that are to repeal earlier ballot initiatives

this lovely proposition/initiative process has utterly destroyed the state
as has been discussed in this thread in regards to the gas tax initiative, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good gets us nowhere on this stuff, and in fact actively causes more harm

yeah it'd be great if we had a more functional legislature but in it's absence we can approve things our elected officials are too cowardly to do themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Sydin posted:

No idea what's being planned at the state level, but at a local one we're bracing for blanket budget cuts, shrinking the scope of road work currently in-progress and scrapping a lot of what was planned, as well as scrapping plans to expand the bus system. We also have a pretty aggressive timetable for phasing fully electric buses into the fleet at the moment, but if we lose the SB1 money we're probably looking at a 15 year timetable instead of a 5 year one in the absence of a new tax, or like a five-fold increase in ridership.

Ugh. I’m honestly expecting more than 60% of the people to vote for repealing the gas tax. Future generations are going to be ruthless when they write our histories.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I didn’t realize the gas tax repeal also had the bonus terrible idea of requiring a referendum on all future gas tax increases

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If the gas tax gets repealed it will at least make it easier to ban gas vehicles later.

:getin:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Pete Rates the Propositions doesn't have his detailed analysis for any of the props up yet but he does have summaries:

http://www.peterates.com/props-1118.shtml

Interestingly he's decided to vote NO on props 8 and 11 because he doesn't feel that ballot initiatives are good solutions to these problems.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mean yeah generally one would hope that the legislature would be a good venue to write legislation that regulates business practices but lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

If the gas tax gets repealed it will at least make it easier to ban gas vehicles later.

:getin:
how do you figure?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

as has been discussed in this thread in regards to the gas tax initiative, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good gets us nowhere on this stuff, and in fact actively causes more harm

yeah it'd be great if we had a more functional legislature but in it's absence we can approve things our elected officials are too cowardly to do themselves

This is also by the way why California should totally implement a single payer system even if a national solution is more ideal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

how do you figure?

Just will reduce the argument we need to keep gasoline sales high because we depend on it for revenue. Very thin silver-lining-ing here.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Leperflesh posted:

...I mean I kinda agree it's caused all manner of problems, but the state is presently decidedly not destroyed

I mean destroyed in the sense of what it could be.

I love this state, but Prop 13 and all of its followups have destroyed our finances, schools and roads, the Three Strikes proposition turned us into a police state, and so many other propostions have been passed that are hosed up - but they can't be amended and fixed by the Legislature because they are the "people's will," superior to the Legislature. Because of propositions, the Legislature abdicates its responsibility to govern and when it wants to do its job, it can't because it is hemmed in by proposition created law. The only truly necessary proposition we have passed in the past 40 years is the redistricting commission, because that went to the heart of how the state functions as a political entity.

If we have to have propositions, the standard for passing them should be higher, and they should expire after ten years unless we renew them.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

bawfuls posted:

yeah, I know. I hold my nose and vote for the better ones, but its a lovely-rear end system that does far more harm than good.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

predicto posted:

I mean destroyed in the sense of what it could be.

I love this state, but Prop 13 and all of its followups have destroyed our finances, schools and roads, the Three Strikes proposition turned us into a police state, and so many other propostions have been passed that are hosed up - but they can't be amended and fixed by the Legislature because they are the "people's will," superior to the Legislature. Because of propositions, the Legislature abdicates its responsibility to govern and when it wants to do its job, it can't because it is hemmed in by proposition created law. The only truly necessary proposition we have passed in the past 40 years is the redistricting commission, because that went to the heart of how the state functions as a political entity.

If we have to have propositions, the standard for passing them should be higher, and they should expire after ten years unless we renew them.
Yes you've identified the major problems with our proposition system. Fixing them would likely require a complete overhaul of the state constitution, likely via a state constitutional convention.

Shall we abandon all efforts at good policy until such a time as we can call a convention?

edit: you're in broad agreement with most people in this thread then

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yes you've identified the major problems with our proposition system. Fixing them would likely require a complete overhaul of the state constitution, likely via a state constitutional convention.

Shall we abandon all efforts at good policy until such a time as we can call a convention?

no.

sigh

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

don't sigh in exasperation. This started with you stating

quote:

all ballot initiatives should be opposed except for the ones that are to repeal earlier ballot initiatives
which you then backpedaled to the consensus opinion that the system is poo poo but we should hold our noses and vote for the lesser evil in the meantime

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
It is ironic that the CA ballot measure system, which has played such a prominent role in getting the state in a financial mess, is also the most likely way for us to get out of that mess.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

This is also by the way why California should totally implement a single payer system even if a national solution is more ideal.

That's how Canada did it, Saskatchewan implemented single payer, and other provinces saw how popular it was and began implementing their own, all provinces had all added their own single payer system after 10 years, then they implemented the national healthcare system to standardize all the province single payer systems.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

bawfuls posted:

don't sigh in exasperation. This started with you stating
which you then backpedaled to the consensus opinion that the system is poo poo but we should hold our noses and vote for the lesser evil in the meantime

It wasn't exasperation at you or this thread or how anyone was responding to me

It was an expression of reluctant acknowledgement that you are right, of course, and I knew it all along. Whether I like the system or not, I need to vote when the choices are presented to me. It's just so loving frustrating. I was venting.

predicto fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 27, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

fermun posted:

That's how Canada did it, Saskatchewan implemented single payer, and other provinces saw how popular it was and began implementing their own, all provinces had all added their own single payer system after 10 years, then they implemented the national healthcare system to standardize all the province single payer systems.

the united states will never standardize anything like that, we haven't even managed to standardize drivers' licenses. here in CA we may manage to get a sensible healthcare system by 2050 but when Mississippi implements theirs it'll be a "get sick and the state a no-bid contractor will euthanize you and bill your survivors for the bullet" kinda deal

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the united states will never standardize anything like that, we haven't even managed to standardize drivers' licenses. here in CA we may manage to get a sensible healthcare system by 2050 but when Mississippi implements theirs it'll be a "get sick and the state a no-bid contractor will euthanize you and bill your survivors for the bullet" kinda deal

You cant know any of this for certain. Simgle payer healthcare could increase gdp by hundreds of billions both state and nationally. 2050? Lmfao were already looking at machine assisted surgery for the most basic of things in the now. The more machine assisted the lower the cost.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
First polling I've seen in a while: http://www.ppic.org/wp-content/uploads/ppic-statewide-survey-september-2018.pdf

disappointing but hopefully De Leon can continue to improve.

Prop 6 lookin' good, prop 10 looking sad. Lot of undecideds on 10 still though.

Cross-tabs on 6.

Cross-tabs on 10.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh man, what I wouldn't give for Prop 6 to fail. Not only would it be a fantastic slap in the face for Republicans, but it would also be a huge boon for public transit. We're building zero emissions buses and bike lanes with that money, and we need every cent.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

fermun posted:

Cross-tabs on 6.
I'm guessing the people who wrote the proposition did not pick that title.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Ballot initiative process is super interesting, having moved here from a state without such a system. I can't remember but I think you can submit a title but ultimately the secretary of state or the ag's office or something picks the title and it's gotta meet some sort of criteria

E: attorney general

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wtf rent control is a loser even among renters??

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

bawfuls posted:

I would guess:
- People who think it isn't good enough, one way or another
- People who think their local gov't won't do a good job
- People who think they'll be landlords sooner or later

Or, more likely, people who don't understand it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Rent control is lovely, pus soaked bandaid over the sucking chest wound that is california's housing crises.

Also every renter is just a temporarily embarrassed millionaire landlord yada yada yada.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The owner class is going to spend millions telling every moron in the state that their rent will go up if it passes. That isn't true, but it'll be blasted across every media portal for the next month.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The owner class is going to spend millions telling every moron in the state that their rent will go up if it passes. That isn't true, but it'll be blasted across every media portal for the next month.

yeah absolutely this

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
well that's true in any case

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m old enough to remember when there used to occasionally be good news in the world. Feels like forever ago.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is the de Leon campaign doing anything? I admit I don't watch TV, which is where I'd expect to see most senate campaigning, but flyers for local poo poo is starting to show up in the mail and I haven't seen so much as a de Leon sign in a window or a bumper sticker.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kevin de leon is building political capital

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

bawfuls posted:

Prop 8 proved California can change its constitution with a simple majority, so just vote in a proposition that changes everything. :downs:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And if you can't do that, just put up a proposition that changes the constitution to let us do it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Rent control is lovely, pus soaked bandaid over the sucking chest wound that is california's housing crises.

Rent control can be lovely if it's used the way NIMBYs want it to be - but it can also be a tool to help decommodify housing, which is the only real long term solution.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Extremely confused that the cross tabs say only 50% of Republicans want to repeal the gas tax and 57% of people in the Inland Empire want to keep it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
what should i make of the PPIC poll having newsom up 55-32 back in july to 51-39 now

i mean the election's probably not going to be anywhere near that close come november, right

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

what should i make of the PPIC poll having newsom up 55-32 back in july to 51-39 now

i mean the election's probably not going to be anywhere near that close come november, right

Final result will be 55-45 or thereabouts. Could be 60-40 if the Republicans are completely demoralized about not having a Senate candidate. Remember there's only two candidates so anyone showing up who hates Newsom only has one other choice on the ballot.

Closest I would expect would be 52-48, but that's only if Newsom were revealed as a replicant and/or ate a baby on live tv.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ah, i see

i thought it was weird looking at how something like 62% of primary candidates voted for dem gubernatorial candidates in the primaries, but then the general is apparently much less lopsided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Each poll is a singular event and they aren't polling often enough for us to get a real picture of how opinions are shifting (once every three months is about as useful as not polling at all), but the best way to look at it is to note that there are 10% undecideds, and even if Cox gets 100% of those undecided voters he would still lose. He's closed the gap, which was inevitable as election day got closer and Republicans who disliked him in the primary decide he was their one true savior all along, but it's nowhere near enough.