Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Maybe they can bond over their love of the early bird special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

dudeness posted:

Maybe they can bond over their love of the early bird special.

no joke, one of the redditors said that he should invite the professor over and try to "bond" with him, so that the daughter realizes he's gross.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

First one is kinda a weird thing, because from the sounds of it she basically thought up a five second clip thing they expanded into a full song and now she's acting like they stole a song she fully wrote

The other three are, uh, in order: reminisce with your daughter's boyfriend about the 80s until one of the two feels weird, kill your rapist husband, and that is absolutely not at all legal but you're a child so you p. much have no rights whatsoever relative to school, effectively

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(CA) Public School forced all students to download tracking app to phones. Is this legal?

Today in school an administrator came into every fourth period class and had everyone download an app that specifically tracks students, during and after school hours. They then made it mandatory and credit would not be given for students who did not comply. Is that legal what they did?

The administrator who did this is a predator, trying to cover his tracks. Every student, from freshman loser to senior x3 who's been there for 15 years trying to get his GED should report him

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Odd posted:

The administrator who did this is a predator, trying to cover his tracks. Every student, from freshman loser to senior x3 who's been there for 15 years trying to get his GED should report him

How does tracking them now cover his tracks? Warning: I really may just be kind of stupid. Is the implication that he was already tracking someone?

Blade Runner posted:

First one is kinda a weird thing, because from the sounds of it she basically thought up a five second clip thing they expanded into a full song and now she's acting like they stole a song she fully wrote

Yeah, that was my impression too but it really wouldn’t kill her boyfriend to be all “so yeah, my girlfriend and I were blah blah blah.” I sense she’d be content with a little anecdotal recognition and is only being all I WANT A CUT OF THE MONEY because she’s hurt. That could be my misplaced faith in humanity acting up again though. Easily.

e: Went back and looked to be sure, but that’s pretty much exactly what she says. I don’t think I’m crazy on this one.

quote:

I'm pissed. I think this is completely uncool. I mean I'm not expecting him to call me up on stage or anything but I think maybe a single mention of "Yeah one night I was drunk with my girlfriend..." or a few hundred bucks from all these gigs isn't uncalled for.

burial fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 27, 2018

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Blade Runner posted:

I mean, she *said* it was like a minute and had lyrics and such, so it's more than a brief riff or a one line hook.

And even in the latter case, there is a ton of examples in the actual industry of people coming up with a really short but memorable motif that becomes the core of a song, not being credited initially and later winning a fight to be recognized as co-author and get a cut of the royalties.

Legal bullshit aside, it's still a dick move to refuse to credit her even informally after she specifically got upset over it. Just throw her a shoutout! (unless he's worried about setting a precedent and losing out on actual money because he believes the band will actually take of nationally off the back of this and doesn't want her to have any rights over it)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (32M) did something weird while I was sleeping.

This is a serious question.

​I was asleep over at my boyfriends house. I woke up to him putting his Penis in my mouth. He started going in and out and didn’t know what to do, I didn’t stop him or curse him out. I was just shocked. He has never done anything like this before. I feel weird about it, I’ve been dodging him because of it.

​I mean he could’ve just waited until I was awoke. I don’t know, maybe some people are into this stuff, but I feel funny about it. Sometimes I can be dramatic so a second option would be nice.

​TL;DR my boyfriend put his penis in my mouth while I was sleep.

:sigh: That's sexual assault and if you feel bad about it that's because someone stuck their dick in you while you had 0 way to consent. :(

I actually did wake up in the middle of a bj once. It took my brain 6-7 seconds to wake up and realize I don't remember how I got into that position, at which point I freaked out and stopped. My ex had a habit of weird sexual "sleepwalking" so it wasn't surprising that something had happened from his end, but it was such a weird feeling that I guess I was susceptible to it as well.

As a lighthearted story though, one time he suddenly sat up in bed, jacked off for about two seconds and then rolled over and tried to stick his half chub in me, only to be foiled by the fact that I wear pj's to bed. Then he just fell on top of me and went back to sleep.

Took me a while to learn that he's honestly not conscious during these moments. Sometimes his eyes would be open and you could swear he was but he wasn't.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

quote:

So, recently I gave some sexy photos to my boyfriend of a year and a half (he is 38, I am 37). He used one as the wallpaper on his cell phone and 3 times "accidentally" let other guys see. I was upset but let it go and he finally changed the photo.

So tonight, he called me and was very excited because he was out to dinner by himself at a restaurant he and I like going to near his apartment and his waitress asked about his tattoo of my lips on his neck (his idea...btw), and then he shared with her about a tattoo I had agreed to get of his hand on a private area of my body. His waitress said that was cute and immediately ran and told her boyfriend.

My boyfriend LOVED that they were so excited about it, but I was extremely embarassed that he would share that with other people, especially without asking me if it was ok to share it. I told him I was upset about it and not happy that he shared what I felt was private info. I told him a tattoo of his hand on a private area of my body is for him only, and not for others...thats why its private! I was extra irritated that it happened so soon after he didnt keep my private photos private (although I didn't bring that up).

He got SO pissed off and immediately started screaming obscenities at me, called me a snatch, bitch, stupid oval office...you name it. Then he hung up and texted me a "breakup" text...which I dont believe because he's "broken up" with me before and come back crying and apologizing. He rages sometimes and calls me names like that, but I want to make sure Im not in the wrong this time. I know sometimes my attitude can be annoying.

tl;dr - irritated that my boyfriend shared private information about a tattoo I agreed to get for him, when I told him how it made me feel he raged and called me awful names.
Think you're kinda missing the forest for the trees here lady. There's not a level of wrongness that makes it ok for him to call you a stupid oval office.

But she can be kind of annoying so that makes it understandable.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

burial posted:

How does tracking them now cover his tracks? Warning: I really may just be kind of stupid. Is the implication that he was already tracking someone?

It dosn't matter weather he is or not, the ability he or indeed a whole bunch of 'hes' would have to track students outside of school hours on their personal phones is far too great a risk. Calling him a predator would merely be a convenient start to the legal war I'd wage over it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

I refuse to believe that they're is anyone doing community theater that doesn't want every single person they know to watch or know about it. Theater girls (and boys) want all attention on them at all times.

gently caress that, I did theater in high school and college and the only people I told were a few close friends and my parents. For some people it's just a fun hobby, and maybe even an embarrassing one because of the (often true) stereotype that you described

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

Vanilla Ice paid out an undisclosed amount to Queen and David Bowie for stealing a few notes from a bass track. A little bit of plagiarism is still plagiarism but she has no way of proving anything, so hopefully he's the one lol

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sampling in hip hop (and electronic music in general) is different though

sugarhill gang had to settle with nile rogers for sampling good times on rapper's delight

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody can slap some chords and verses together, coming up with a good hook is the important part.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Darkhold posted:

He got SO pissed off and immediately started screaming obscenities at me, called me a snatch, bitch, stupid oval office...you name it. Then he hung up and texted me a "breakup" text...which I dont believe because he's "broken up" with me before and come back crying and apologizing. He rages sometimes and calls me names like that,

This jumps out at me more than the tattoo thing. :sever:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

QuarkJets posted:

Vanilla Ice paid out an undisclosed amount to Queen and David Bowie for stealing a few notes from a bass track. A little bit of plagiarism is still plagiarism but she has no way of proving anything, so hopefully he's the one lol

yeah, he totally knows he's in the wrong but he thinks this is going to be their breakout hit and doesn't want her to get half/all the money going forwards.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

yeah, he totally knows he's in the wrong but he thinks this is going to be their breakout hit and doesn't want her to get half/all the money going forwards.

How does someone prove she "totally came up with the hook of a song" when she admits she was drunk at the time?

quote:

A couple months back while drunk my boyfriend and I were screwing around with my keyboard and his guitar. I am not a musician, btw. Just a lowly student/bartender. I came up with this like one minute bit that, at least in my drunken state, sounded pretty rad. I mean it was dumb as hell but it sounded good. We laughed about it and that was it.

'In my drunken state' could mean anything from she came up with an incomplete chord progression to vague intervals that were completely off key and needed a lot of polishing to get right because beer goggles are super A Thing and especially pertinent when it comes to music. Lyrics would be a bit more different but the only indication she came up with any was her mentioning she recognized the song when the lyrics kicked in.

Like all the examples y'all brought up are people outright copying actually finished songs with no credit given. Not "I took an idea from someone who was drunk off their rear end and polished it up into a song."

Also extra lol @ "I just want a few hundred bucks from him" when that's probably the sum total he's earned at all these performances.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maybe she came up with a modern day "in a gada da vida"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

How does someone prove she "totally came up with the hook of a song" when she admits she was drunk at the time?

By getting him to admit it

He's intuitively grasping the most important part of the music industry, screwing over your colleagues and support staff whenever you can possibly get away with it. He'll go far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, honey, Ill make it up you. Why dont I produce your next album and also help you make songwriting changes in perpituity?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In a just world I’d agree that she’s got no leg to stand on, but now that the principle of “If it tastes like chicken then I guess you stole it” seems to hold in music copyright law then I really don’t know.

ishikabibble posted:

Also extra lol @ "I just want a few hundred bucks from him" when that's probably the sum total he's earned at all these performances.

Maybe she’s just trying to establish her claim today in the hopes that his band makes it big one day :ninja:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you think the copyright system has never dealt with someone being drunk when they came up with a killer riff

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The beer goggles thing also came to mind, though I didn't really wanna yell out that she was an unreliable narrator, and I kinda see it the opposite way from Burial in the sense that it seems like what she actually wants comes out with the "maybe give me a few hundred dollars" thing

I dunno, Vanilla Ice blatantly stealing the core bass riff of a whole song doesn't seem like the same thing as her drunkenly coming up with a riff and then them turning it into a whole song later

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"She was drunk, she couldn't possibly have / must be lying / etc." is a weird argument considering her boyfriend was also drunk

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

DoctorTristan posted:

In a just world I’d agree that she’s got no leg to stand on, but now that the principle of “If it tastes like chicken then I guess you stole it” seems to hold in music copyright law then I really don’t know.

Maybe she’s just trying to establish her claim today in the hopes that his band makes it big one day :ninja:

Copyright law can be insanely complex, and you do have copyright from the moment you create something

This is a lot easier to prove now that you can prove that you put something on an internet forum or SoundCloud years ago, but it's still essentially impossible to prove if it's just a matter of you saying "yeah I thought that up years ago, where's my money"

Anne Whateley posted:

"She was drunk, she couldn't possibly have / must be lying / etc." is a weird argument considering her boyfriend was also drunk

Unless the boyfriend was drunk for several months straight (which is possible, to be fair, he is a musician) then it is not at all a weird argument

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 27, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bob Dylan crapped out part of a chorus half-drunk in the early 70s and was so ashamed of it you could only hear it on bootlegs and four decades later somebody turned it every white person's favorite song

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

Bob Dylan crapped out part of a chorus half-drunk in the early 70s and was so ashamed of it you could only hear it on bootlegs and four decades later somebody turned it every white person's favorite song

Youre going to need to be more specific than every single Bob Dylan song ever made?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

Youre going to need to be more specific than every single Bob Dylan song ever made?

Bob Dylan made more than one song???

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wagon Wheel son

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CheesyDog posted:

Wagon Wheel son

My favorite song is an hour long chord progression with a killer drumline and a couple solos and is called Dopesmoker, sir

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
She really seems to think they're getting a bunch of gigs due to her snippet of a song. That's the most ridiculous part.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

She really seems to think they're getting a bunch of gigs due to her snippet of a song. That's the most ridiculous part.

it's a hard life being the Ideas Guy

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Would it be weird/strange that I [32M] use a pair of engagement rings I bought years ago for an ex, with my girlfriend [33F]?

quote:

Would it be somehow too emotionally loaded?

Nobody know I have those rings. I bought them in a very misguided state of mind. I thought my ex and I were going to get married but in reality we had a terrible relationship and she ended up cheating on me. I bought them about 4 months before we broke up and I never told anyone about it.

So now my girlfriend and I (3 years together), have agreed that we want to get married, and even though we both said we don't really care about any rings, we also said we don't have any problem with having them. She said that she doesn't particularly want any rings, but if I wanted it, we could look for rings.

So if I bring her these rings, it would be weird to explain their history and I don't want to lie about how and when I got them, so maybe it's best to throw them away forever? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't use them, but I just want to talk about it with someone else for once, and I don't really want to talk about it with people who know us both.

What can I do with the rings in case I don't use them?

tl;dr: I have engagement rings that nobody knows about from a past relationship. Would it be weird to use them with my girlfriend? What should I do with them otherwise?

OP deep in your heart you know the answer. Just sell/trade them for credit.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Would it be weird/strange that I [32M] use a pair of engagement rings I bought years ago for an ex, with my girlfriend [33F]?

He's already demonstrating he can't keep it secret, so yeah get new ones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah he absolutely shouldn't use these rings but the fact that the only alternative he can think of is "throw them in the literal garbage" really exposes him as the kind of person who would buy two engagement rings for a girlfriend he doesn't even have a good relationship with

he's bad with money

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend [22M] used a song I [22F] came up with and is becoming locally/mildly famous off of it. I'm pissed, but am I wrong to be?

i swear this is the plot of a mid 90s movie starring one of those Pretty White Boys With Low Self Esteem who isn't Adrian Brody.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Jesus christ man, sell them! You probably won't get what you paid for them, but it's better than throwing them away.

I sold the ring I got for my ex when we split up, I had documentation from the store that valued it higher than I paid for it so I ended up only losing like $200 on it when I sold it to some guy. Used the money to buy a new TV and some other poo poo I'd been wanting, worked out pretty well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Play posted:

this is some real king solomon poo poo lmao

I'm not sure I've ever had such a visceral reaction to a post on here. I literally, actually, want to beat this guy's face in with a baseball bat until he stops moving

The one with the guy who was waiting to get his trust fund money so he could "stop leeching off his parents" still makes me want to hunt him down and kick him.

EDIT: Found it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(24F) My boyfriend (24M) called my dad’s house a dump and I can’t get over it. Advice?

Just so everyone knows, my boyfriend (‘Nick’) comes from a very well off family. He grew up in a mansion, went to prestigious private schools, traveled the world,etc. Whereas I come from a single dad working two jobs, lived in a small apartment, went to public schools and haven’t traveled much in my lifetime. Nick also does work at his fathers company, but lives in his parents condo in Miami and basically lives off of them.

I have no problem with my boyfriends upbringing, and I appreciate the cultural knowledge he has from traveling the world. He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ouhei posted:

Jesus christ man, sell them! You probably won't get what you paid for them, but it's better than throwing them away.

I sold the ring I got for my ex when we split up, I had documentation from the store that valued it higher than I paid for it so I ended up only losing like $200 on it when I sold it to some guy. Used the money to buy a new TV and some other poo poo I'd been wanting, worked out pretty well.

If the gem(s) is/are nice (they aren’t), he could have them remounted on a different band or potentially the same band in a different style.

I thank God my wife doesn’t expect me to be a mind-reader. When I proposed, I ordered a “placeholder” engagement ring (a nice but low-caret ring) from Bluenile.com, then after we got back to the States I returned it under their 30-day no questions asked policy, and she and I found for the one she wanted.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Nonvalueadded User posted:

If the gem(s) is/are nice (they aren’t), he could have them remounted on a different band or potentially the same band in a different style.

I thank God my wife doesn’t expect me to be a mind-reader. When I proposed, I ordered a “placeholder” engagement ring (a nice but low-caret ring) from Bluenile.com, then after we got back to the States I returned it under their 30-day no questions asked policy, and she and I found for the one she wanted.

I'm sure the rings probably suck, but he could still get a decent chunk of whatever they cost if he were to sell them, especially if he had any sort of valuation paperwork for insurance purposes.

My wife and I went ring shopping before I proposed and I had her narrow it down to 2-3 ring styles then I picked on when I went back by myself. Your way sounds like a good way to make it a complete surprise without wasting a ton of money on a ring she won't like though, kudos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gems are dumb, exotic dental enamels are where it’s at.