Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I once watched an S4 / BN UMO cackle and whistle and then smoke three cigarettes back to back while talking to a wall.

Then he told me the giant evaporative cooler for the air loading terminal was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen and stared at it for over an hour.

Not a few months earlier, he’d seemed pretty normal and healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Ashmole posted:

WHY CAN NO ONE TALK

sir i told you we needed to secure retrans if you were going to push them pass the flot

I ASKED YOU A QUESTION

An old battalion commander just could not wrap his mind around what line of sight meant in relation to antenna, and that it would take more than adding a couple of poles to the OE to be able to talk to the company on the other side of a mountain. Saw an S6 E4, then E7, then the O3 explain this to him and he still just said "figure it out". Dude was a SF O5.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

he still just said "figure it out".

So did someone figure it out?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

So did someone figure it out?

The XO told one of the other companies to act as a retrans.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

The XO told one of the other companies to act as a retrans.

Sounds like a BN commander who gets poo poo done!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

An old battalion commander just could not wrap his mind around what line of sight meant in relation to antenna, and that it would take more than adding a couple of poles to the OE to be able to talk to the company on the other side of a mountain. Saw an S6 E4, then E7, then the O3 explain this to him and he still just said "figure it out". Dude was a SF O5.

It would be more unlucky if he figured it out and told you to climb up the mountain and place a relay.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

EBB posted:

It would be more unlucky if he figured it out and told you to climb up the mountain and place a relay.

Oh, that idea was floated, until someone pointed out two problems: feeding them, since they didn't bring any MREs on this trip in order to get the cooks some training, and we didn't have any more radio equipment to give them. Now, this was up at Fort Greely, so for any of you other sorry bastards who have ever been there, you know there's that one standalone peak on the west side of the highway. That's where they would have put the relay. It's a steep 1200' climb. I did it with some people for fun while waiting for the main body to arrive, and with no gear and it took about 2.5 hours of scrambling up sharp loose rock to make it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, that idea was floated, until someone pointed out two problems: feeding them, since they didn't bring any MREs on this trip in order to get the cooks some training, and we didn't have any more radio equipment to give them. Now, this was up at Fort Greely, so for any of you other sorry bastards who have ever been there, you know there's that one standalone peak on the west side of the highway. That's where they would have put the relay. It's a steep 1200' climb. I did it with some people for fun while waiting for the main body to arrive, and with no gear and it took about 2.5 hours of scrambling up sharp loose rock to make it.

That should be no problem for some highly motivated paratroopers

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pshh Quark and Odo did it with broken legs so can you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Pshh Quark and Odo did it with broken legs so can you.

Pretty sure Odo can't break his "legs"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Pretty sure Odo can't break his "legs"

Uh I'm pretty sure he could when he was temporarily human

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure he could when he was temporarily human

:goonsay:

Oh god I forgot about that season where his wish to be human was granted

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A Bad Poster posted:

:stare:

They wanted you to loving go up there????

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I only remember because I watched that season this year

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Thump! posted:

:stare:

They wanted you to loving go up there????

We wouldn't even have been the first. There were a bunch of old fighting positions set up on the summit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

:goonsay:

Oh god I forgot about that season where his wish to be human was granted

When did he wish for that?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

When did he wish for that?

The head shapeshifter took it away from him and then they put together a contrived scenario for him to get it back from a dying baby changeling or something. Then the head shapeshifter comes back and apologizes and they have sex in human form just to see what it's like. Star Trek be weird, yo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

The head shapeshifter took it away from him and then they put together a contrived scenario for him to get it back from a dying baby changeling or something. Then the head shapeshifter comes back and apologizes and they have sex in human form just to see what it's like. Star Trek be weird, yo.

Yeah, but my point was that Odo never WANTED to be human. You're thinking of Data.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

A Bad Poster posted:

Donnelly Fuckin Dooooooooome (circa 2004)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Yeah, but my point was that Odo never WANTED to be human. You're thinking of Data.

You're right, I think it was more "to give him a better understanding of the solids" but the implication was that he wanted to be human more than a shapeshifter

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

RichieHimself posted:

oh man gently caress that

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

You're right, I think it was more "to give him a better understanding of the solids" but the implication was that he wanted to be human more than a shapeshifter

It was a punishment for killing another shapeshifter.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

RichieHimself posted:

I'm on my commander's bad side because I essentially told him to go gently caress himself when he told me to have guys come off tiefort mountain (after it took 10 hours to get up there) at night, under nods, with 0 lum. he accused me of "not being aggressive enough". it's loving ntc dude. i'm not getting people hurt over loving laser tag.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I'm on my commander's bad side because I essentially told him to go gently caress himself when he told me to have guys come off tiefort mountain (after it took 10 hours to get up there) at night, under nods, with 0 lum. he accused me of "not being aggressive enough". it's loving ntc dude. i'm not getting people hurt over loving laser tag.

I had a similar argument with our OCs there about our retrans guy. This was 2 days after a guy was killed by a tank rollover at night because they didn't are the wadi or whatever it was they drove off in.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I had a similar argument with our OCs there about our retrans guy. This was 2 days after a guy was killed by a tank rollover at night because they didn't are the wadi or whatever it was they drove off in.

Night fighting at NTC with vehicles is madness incarnate. I get the training is needed but how many permanent injuries or deaths it costs yearly when some CO who hasnt done it before goes too hooah?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Valtonen posted:

Night fighting at NTC with vehicles is madness incarnate. I get the training is needed but how many permanent injuries or deaths it costs yearly when some CO who hasnt done it before goes too hooah?

That was my 4th rotation and I had been in rotations with enough deaths and permanent injuries that I wasn't going to risk something dumb for a fake scenario. Especially with strykers.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Ashmole posted:

That was my 4th rotation and I had been in rotations with enough deaths and permanent injuries that I wasn't going to risk something dumb for a fake scenario. Especially with strykers.

I only went down there once, but it was with a Stryker unit. Luckily (if you want to look at it like that) our brigade only had 8 or so serious injuries, with only one being life threatening. The unit that was there immediately before us was some armor brigade, and they killed three of their guys by cooking them to death inside their tanks, because it was July in the taint between the Mojave and Death Valley, and they sent them out there in big metal boxes with no air conditioning.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

A Bad Poster posted:

I only went down there once, but it was with a Stryker unit. Luckily (if you want to look at it like that) our brigade only had 8 or so serious injuries, with only one being life threatening. The unit that was there immediately before us was some armor brigade, and they killed three of their guys by cooking them to death inside their tanks, because it was July in the taint between the Mojave and Death Valley, and they sent them out there in big metal boxes with no air conditioning.

Tanks have ”AC” -Its the NBC system. Now, is your tank deadlined even If it doesnt work properly and blows hot air in the middle If july in NTC... Well, it tends to depend who you ask. Also in desert it might clog up.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

Valtonen posted:

Tanks have ”AC” -Its the NBC system. Now, is your tank deadlined even If it doesnt work properly and blows hot air in the middle If july in NTC... Well, it tends to depend who you ask. Also in desert it might clog up.

CO will sign off on it, mission must continue

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Valtonen posted:

same with our m997s

still slept in mine instead of the test, any chance i could

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sleeping on warm access ports and waking up to toasty, dry socks and boots because you left them in there all night was one of the tiny joys of tanking.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You guys don't get air conditioned DRASH tents?

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

You guys don't get air conditioned DRASH tents?

Those are for the TOC, not the soldier.

We were issued one man tents that sit on top of your cot to sleep in

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Those are for the TOC, not the soldier.

We were issued one man tents that sit on top of your cot to sleep in

You guys got cots. Last time I went out to the field, our Ops SGM forbade any sort of tent, lean-to, shelter half or poncho covering because it wasn't 'tactical' enough. Sleep on the ground, in your sleeping bag. Then it rained, and he allowed them but they had to be completely torn down the next morning and packed away, in case 'we had to move quickly'.

And people wonder why vets getting out have such a dim view of the Army, or why social media is constantly laughing at their dumb poo poo...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I remember feeling indescribably lucky that I got to sleep on a metal shelf in the parts shelter on the back of my shop's LMTV during a field exercise. It was maybe a foot and a half high and exactly my body's width, so I was basically sleeping in a coffin where any movement would result in banging into sharp metal edges but it was so much better than sleeping outside.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I’ve slept on the floor of an ice cold HMMWV comms shelter that was attached to the TOC. Not one but two giant AC units.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

i slept in a humvee trailer while it was snowing. that was miserable.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They let us sleep inside one night because of rain and I zipped up my goretex jacket and slept on two MRE boxes. Best night of sleep I had that week.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The back of a Humvee has just enough space for you to lie stretched out from the back, through the opening and almost onto the turret stand. The hood of a Humvee is much better though, because you'll generally stay warm from the heat of the engine, especially if the Humvee is being started up every now and then to keep the batteries charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sleeping in the equipment rack areas of the Phoenix is the best. Conditioned, insulated, padded room for one, but every Phoenix has two trucks. The support truck doesn't have the AC or padding though.