Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I go to meetups with a couple friends and it’s easy if you already have almost/enough to play and just need warm bodies to fill the rest but I can’t imagine that doing well if you’re just by yourself. There’s enough heavy gamers in the meetups near me that we’ll constantly get 5 players for John company or die Macher or great Zimbabwe or even 18xx on a Friday night but that’s cuz we only need 1-2, sometimes 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I will be mightily miffed lol.

Pax Pamir isn't expected to deliver until next September and Cole doesn't strike me as a guy who will run a KS before fulfilling a previous one so it's gonna be a while.

admanb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 27, 2018

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

One of the problems with just avoiding the “cult of the new” is that you still have to successfully find other people who want to play your “old” game or games over and over. And there aren’t that many of those people in the gaming community, from what I see.

The "cult of the new" looks very different depending on how much you enjoy your first playthroughs of a new game. I hear people complain about having to learn new games all the time... that's actually one of my favorite bits. I mean, not learning the rules so much as facing the unknown frontier of "how do you win at this game?".

I love the first climbs on the learning curve, where players are approaching the game very differently and you're seeing which of your (probably all pretty bad) ideas work the best. That's part of the reason we've done well with Legacy games, or games with a bunch of explorable content, or wildly variable setups like Dominion - they extend out the "I'm learning to play this right", "discovery" period longer.

Even when we stick with games, we're forever messing with the rules and trying new stuff - 7 Wonders became Team 7 Wonders became Blunders.. and then we were done.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jmzero posted:

The "cult of the new" looks very different depending on how much you enjoy your first playthroughs of a new game. I hear people complain about having to learn new games all the time... that's actually one of my favorite bits. I mean, not learning the rules so much as facing the unknown frontier of "how do you win at this game?".

I love the first climbs on the learning curve, where players are approaching the game very differently and you're seeing which of your (probably all pretty bad) ideas work the best. That's part of the reason we've done well with Legacy games, or games with a bunch of explorable content, or wildly variable setups like Dominion - they extend out the "I'm learning to play this right", "discovery" period longer.

Even when we stick with games, we're forever messing with the rules and trying new stuff - 7 Wonders became Team 7 Wonders became Blunders.. and then we were done.

This is a solid point. Meshes with that which SU&SD were saying in their Root review, that they enjoyed the game more as a kind of "wild west" of craziness, and the excitement wore off the more they played and started to have the game more "figured out".

I think for people looking to absolutely maximize and execute the best possible strategies in tabletop gaming, TCGs are perhaps the best outlet if you can get over their generally high cost of entry.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Merauder posted:

This is a solid point. Meshes with that which SU&SD were saying in their Root review, that they enjoyed the game more as a kind of "wild west" of craziness, and the excitement wore off the more they played and started to have the game more "figured out".

I think for people looking to absolutely maximize and execute the best possible strategies in tabletop gaming, TCGs are perhaps the best outlet if you can get over their generally high cost of entry.

A fair number of heavy euros have enough variable setup that the puzzle never really solves itself, imo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I've legit never seen it without someone pushing the end though. How else are you scoring points? Pretty much every scoring action advances at least one of the scoring tracks.

[quote="enigmahfc" post="488362549"]
The first time I ever played Terraforming Mars it was a with a group that liked to draw the game out so they could 'get their engines rolling properly in the game". This just meant making the game last like and hour and half longer than it should. They were also terrible at teaching the game, so I had no clue what was going on until like halfway through (why draft the starting hand if 2 people have never played the game before, morons. I just took what looked the coolest).

The next time I played the game with them, it was out of per spite. I pushed the endgame really hard and made 2 of the guys super pissed because they weren't able to slowly get their poo poo together and had to actually react to what was going on instead of just lazily building the perfect machine. I ended up winning (somehow) and now those 2 never want to play games with me, so it's a win-win for me.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2018

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
goddamit edit/quote nonsense

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I buy board games because I like getting big boxes that have smaller colorful boxes full of cool stuff in the mail.

And that feeling of cracking open a new box to see what all's inside? Opening a pack of fresh, clean and shiny cards? That new cardboard smell?

Ooooh boy that's some good poo poo!

I'm the kind of person who loves to organize and find the perfect spots for things, so part of the fun for me is just figuring out what particular storage box I can use to store all of a game's bits and bobs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chubbs posted:

And that feeling of cracking open a new box to see what all's inside? Opening a pack of fresh, clean and shiny cards? That new cardboard smell?

Ooooh boy that's some good poo poo!

I'm the kind of person who loves to organize and find the perfect spots for things, so part of the fun for me is just figuring out what particular storage box I can use to store all of a game's bits and bobs.

I also like doing this by putting games inside other games to save space

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Im looking forward to getting Cryptid

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My wife is my filter for buying news games because she hates learning new ones and would just ply the same 10 if it were not for me. I guess we balance each out well. Viticulture and Riverboat are the new hotness in our house.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

enigmahfc posted:

The first time I ever played Terraforming Mars it was a with a group that liked to draw the game out so they could 'get their engines rolling properly in the game". This just meant making the game last like and hour and half longer than it should. They were also terrible at teaching the game, so I had no clue what was going on until like halfway through (why draft the starting hand if 2 people have never played the game before, morons. I just took what looked the coolest).

The next time I played the game with them, it was out of per spite. I pushed the endgame really hard and made 2 of the guys super pissed because they weren't able to slowly get their poo poo together and had to actually react to what was going on instead of just lazily building the perfect machine. I ended up winning (somehow) and now those 2 never want to play games with me, so it's a win-win for me.

This is the main knock I have against the "advanced" cards they tell you to leave out for a beginner game. They're all engine stuff, and the game plays a lot better if the players are actively pushing the endgame with the engine they've got instead of trying to build an engine and then move on. You can certainly still play aggressively, but all those engine cards are encouraging you to slow down. In Race for the Galaxy I do something similar; a couple of my friends are great at seeing engines and if they set that up they'll win, so I focus on dropping 12 cards and ending the game before they can dig for that one card that makes everything come together.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

[quote="enigmahfc" post="488362549"]

It's almost like Terraforming Mars is a game where you win by... well... terraforming... Mars. And not complicated low return points engines.

The generic actions are relatively rarely actually the best way to win but they can get you surprisingly good jumps in points and economy, especially buying oceans.

E: in most of our games where someone's been trying to engine build, they've lost because of it to people who just draft cards which give track ticks.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

thespaceinvader posted:

It's almost like Terraforming Mars is a game where you win by... well... terraforming... Mars. And not complicated low return points engines.

The generic actions are relatively rarely actually the best way to win but they can get you surprisingly good jumps in points and economy, especially buying oceans.

E: in most of our games where someone's been trying to engine build, they've lost because of it to people who just draft cards which give track ticks.

That's how I've always played it. Starting hand points to the one main thing you should be hitting hard, and maybe a secondary thing that helps the first. Then you spend the game hammering your main goals. Any drawn card that doesn't help those goals is gone, unless it's cheap and does something for you right now.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SlyFrog posted:

One of the problems with just avoiding the “cult of the new” is that you still have to successfully find other people who want to play your “old” game or games over and over. And there aren’t that many of those people in the gaming community, from what I see.

I went to a game night recently with about 30 people at it, and I did not recognize a drat thing anyone was playing, because everything was from the last 6-12 months at most.

This is certainly a thing. I'm fortunate enough to have a circle of friends who are interested enough in new games but will actually play anything you're enthusiastic about and willing to teach. But the clubs in general are dominated by The Cult of the New.

I know this guy, nice guy, always fun to play against. He'll be there with a game and will swear "It's incredible! There's so much depth! And so much replay!" And next month, he'll be saying it about a different game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Funzo posted:

That's how I've always played it. Starting hand points to the one main thing you should be hitting hard, and maybe a secondary thing that helps the first. Then you spend the game hammering your main goals. Any drawn card that doesn't help those goals is gone, unless it's cheap and does something for you right now.

Trying to engine build usually results in buying cards you don't needs too which is super expensive. Unless a card does somethign great NOW or somethign ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING long term it's almost certainyl not worth buying. Every time I've won it's been with maybe one or two cards per round, if that. it feels really wrong not buying stuff, but it's often just not worth it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Speaking of cult of the old, I am getting into Legends of Andor and man is it hard with two players. Pretty sure we should be playing 4p to not get slautered. Pretty cool puzzle game even if it kicks our rear end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Deluxe editions seem to be a good way to get cult-of-the-new people to settle down for a moment and play some old, known-good stuff.

Well, Brass at least has been pretty good for that.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Don't forget deluxe Container and Flow of History.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Reprint deluxe reef encounter already, you cowards!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

djfooboo posted:

Speaking of cult of the old, I am getting into Legends of Andor and man is it hard with two players. Pretty sure we should be playing 4p to not get slautered. Pretty cool puzzle game even if it kicks our rear end.

Yeah when we play two player we always take two characters each. Took us a while to get the hang of the game and I was quite put off by the apparent randomness at first, until we worked out we'd just been approaching it completely wrong and that most of the time you can all-but-guarantee the outcome if you plan correctly. Fun, but somewhat strange game.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I pretty much manage to keep my buying under control through three laws:

Sturgeon's Law: "Ninety per cent of everything is crap."

Vasel's Law(Though in fairness, he doesn't actually call it that): "Good games get reprinted."

And every gamer's sad inner truth: "poo poo, man, I don't even have time to play the games I already own."

It helps that my buying channels are extremely limited. I live in rural Hawaii. My island has two games stores on it, each fifty miles away from me, and in opposite directions, and they are expensive, because shipping things here is expensive. BGG lists about ten other people with accounts admitting to living here, so the local market is definitely not strong, let alone math trades. All the websites you like have exorbitant shipping to here, and they don't get cheaper if you spend more money. I'm basically limited to Amazon and Ebay. Enough people on Ebay forget that Hawaii is part of the US when they offer cheap shipping that it works out. Kickstarter usually lumps us in with the mainland US too, but every game I've ever gotten through them that was any good eventually made it to Amazon for cheaper.

There are literally too many good games for me to play them all, anyway. Once I internalized that, it got easy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mayveena posted:

No, 18xx games don't give Tresham royalties. 18xx is a set of mechanics and Tresham didn't patent them.

Couldn't patent them, surely. Thinking about what could be protected, he could probably (if he had been very aggressive) have secured the sole use of "18[xx]" as a boardgame name, but I can't think of much else. Like Wizards of the Coast have protected "tapping" (but not the act of turning a card sideways to show it's been used) but I'm not sure Tresham could have secured "Dividends" (for example) because anyone coming after could say they took it from actual dividends, just like he had.
e: he could have fragmented the tiles like hell, that would have been fun. People get mad at Carthaginian's designs, imagine if every studio had to redraw the tiles, or have a different order for the colours.

e2:

El Fideo posted:

There are literally too many good games for me to play them all, anyway. Once I internalized that, it got easy.

there are in fact not enough good games (games are bad).

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 28, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Whut why are people mad at Carthaginian? Am I too Rutibex-y if I approve of him making those hard-to-get games, that usually already have pnp files available, more accessible?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He puts the colour of the tile on the rail rather than on the background. That's the only thing I know.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dancer posted:

Whut why are people mad at Carthaginian?
Wait, what the gently caress? What happened?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kerro posted:

Yeah when we play two player we always take two characters each. Took us a while to get the hang of the game and I was quite put off by the apparent randomness at first, until we worked out we'd just been approaching it completely wrong and that most of the time you can all-but-guarantee the outcome if you plan correctly. Fun, but somewhat strange game.

Yeah, I'd never play Andor 2 player without taking 2 characters each. My wife and I are stuck in the 3rd? Legend, but haven't played it in a while because we're currently hooked on scythe and just got fenris.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pierzak posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? What happened?

My understanding is that the true 18XX spergs like clearclaw think that functionality is the absolute only consideration that matters in 18XX game design, and any attempts at graphic design or artistry that don't improve upon that are distracting and annoying. Their ideal game looks like something like this

They consider something like this an affront because it gets in the way of the :spergin: information :spergin:

Basically they don't like Carthaginian's designs because they have aesthetic appeal.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The problem with Carthaginian's designs is that they actively impede reading the board when playing.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Eh, they don't both me when playing, but that may be because my first 5 or 6 games of 18XX were with someone's PnP copy of his 1889 design so I just got used to it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd take the first design for the same reasons, but I'm not making GBS threads on Carth because of it, I just won't play his version. I bet that there's an alternative classic version available somewhere anyway.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Board18 unfortunately uses his files for the map, track, and tokens, and I've disliked every part of it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't really see how the second design impedes information. In fact, I'm more likely to get something useful out of it because I can stand to look at it for more than ten seconds.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pierzak posted:

I'd take the first design for the same reasons, but I'm not making GBS threads on Carth because of it, I just won't play his version. I bet that there's an alternative classic version available somewhere anyway.

Yeah different strokes for different folks is fine. If I’m going to stare at a board for 2-4+ hours I appreciate some aesthetics to look at, but there’s nothing wrong with anyone preferring the first version instead, as long as they’re not getting irritated that the other version exists as a choice.

(That image image of Carthaginian’s map also looks kind of bright and washed out, for what it’s worth, you can barely even see the hex outlines)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I like how one side says "Carth's design is horrible I could never play on such a thing" and the other just says "Carth's design is nice :shrug:". One is much more calm than another.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

I like how one side says "Carth's design is horrible I could never play on such a thing" and the other just says "Carth's design is nice :shrug:". One is much more calm than another.

Impermanent posted:

I don't really see how the second design impedes information. In fact, I'm more likely to get something useful out of it because I can stand to look at it for more than ten seconds.

lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can have aesthetic appeal and clear information. I’m ambivalent to Carthigian’s designs but think they’re fine. Look at what you can do with some nice graphics:

18CZ has the best trains, shares, and map of any 18xx I’ve seen. Maybe with the exception of this 18MEX that we’ll never see because the retheme designer doesn’t want to share the files:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
i just want nice graphics you STRAWMAN AUTISTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fellis posted:

i just want nice graphics you STRAWMAN AUTISTS

This.