Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hyper Inferno posted:

O4N Doom was one of the few places where old Shake it Off was nice to have.

When I was playing SCH, I would summon Selene for Doom and then swap back to Eos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

So I can’t beat that recent “Will of the Moon” quest where you fight whatever Dotharl lady.

I’m a Paladin (and only a Paladin, unfortunately) at iLevel 355, but that last phase I just can’t beat her before the timer is out.

Am I missing something or do I just need to gear up?

...or level a DPS class? Aaaaaaa

You get echo eventually.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Leofish posted:

When I was playing SCH, I would summon Selene for Doom and then swap back to Eos.

I have been triggered

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

for this raiding tier I have put myself in the Healer Box, on purpose, evidently because I am a huge loving idiot

did anyone else raid heal in the wow wotlk-cata era because that's where my basis is coming from and I'm getting extremely owned. where the hell are my 1.5sec healing spells and what's this bullshit about being "ready" for damage instead of healing reactively. yoship!!!!!!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

all i wanted was to rroll lifeblooms again.............

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The price you pay for healing the entire party to full HP in 2-3 spells.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

World War Mammories posted:

for this raiding tier I have put myself in the Healer Box, on purpose, evidently because I am a huge loving idiot

did anyone else raid heal in the wow wotlk-cata era because that's where my basis is coming from and I'm getting extremely owned. where the hell are my 1.5sec healing spells and what's this bullshit about being "ready" for damage instead of healing reactively. yoship!!!!!!

Yeah, although I stopped playing in early cata so most of my wow raid healing experience is TBC/wrath disc priest and then resto shaman.

Each healer only has so many emergency heals like that, and you don't have enough of them to not plan your healing out. The dirty secret to savage raiding is that you're going to memorize the fights anyway, people can't call mechanics out fast enough for you to do them correctly if it's not just a single word reminder or something.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And Regrowth on the tank. Had to Regrowth for Living Seed, because it, Swiftmend, and HT were the only thing that procced Living Seed.

YOU get a Rejuv,, YOU get a Rejuv, and YOU get a Rejuv, EVERYONE GETS A REJUV (OR WILD GROWTH)!

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I was a 269 Sam for that fight and I just went after her, she had a connection to the adds but it didn't seem like she was actually gaining any benefit from them and the only interplay I specifically noticed in the previous time she had the adds up was that she would res them with a chunk of her hp. I DID still cut it a little close but Guren into a full powered Midare did most the work for me.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Aaaaaa, okay I’ll give it another go. I’m definitely slapping FoF and Req, in sword stance, but maybe I just need to eat some of the AoE’s or something. Thanks y’all

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What's your weapon? I rolled the fight as a 350 WHM with a 355 weapon and it wasn't even close. If your weapon is a bit out of date it's gonna hold you back bad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so when is the next xpac? next year? what is the chance they make itemization not insanely boring?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It was 8 months between 2.4 and 3.0, and 9 months between 3.4 and 4.0.

Itemization won't be changed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also, both Heavensward and Stormblood were released in June.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Even the itemization in WoW is starting to become more like this game, I guess its what the people want

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

We should be getting details at the fan fests soon regarding the 5.0 expansion, and guesses are for release sometime in June, around the same period as when 3.0 and 4.0 was released that month.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How long was the development cycle on HW and SB? A full year? Cause it sounds like they're only really just now starting on the next one in earnest

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Honest asking here, but what would be better itemization? Back when I played wow there were like a dozen lovely attributes and you just theory crafted the best set anyways.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish potions and stuff were more useful. :arghfist: :(

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

homeless snail posted:

How long was the development cycle on HW and SB? A full year? Cause it sounds like they're only really just now starting on the next one in earnest

Even as they're doing the current content as soon as the expansion is released they were already working on the development of the next one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

homeless snail posted:

If various interviews are to be believed, a design document existed and was in place detailing all the way to something like 7.0 as early as ARR.

If those same interviews are to be believed, development never really stops, it just keeps going.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm just going off an interview from a month or so ago where he described the status of the next expansion as "two people in hell", which was him and a writer from the scenario team. So it sounds like its still in preproduction

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

homeless snail posted:

They've mentioned before that they pretty much have expansion development running in one form or another 24/7, they just don't pull over the whole team until closer to release. There was a mention in a recent interview that they're starting to get into the hell zone now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Honest asking here, but what would be better itemization? Back when I played wow there were like a dozen lovely attributes and you just theory crafted the best set anyways.

Clearly, set bonuses. :eng99:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

it's extremely terrible using the same route to gear up as i did in like, patch 3.0, or hell even like 2.4. or having like, two good stats per job.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

What's your weapon? I rolled the fight as a 350 WHM with a 355 weapon and it wasn't even close. If your weapon is a bit out of date it's gonna hold you back bad.

I only have a 320 item, so I'll grab a new one from HOH or something and come back I think

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I would just like class restrictions for glamour purposes removed. I find materia to be kind of an annoying part of gearing up, but I can understand its use from a skinner box MMO economy perspective so I doubt that's going away.

Other than that, I don't think the itemization is a problem, but I'll admit I don't play at the highest levels. I just put on the newest thing and assume I'm better for it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So until she became more involved in the plot, I was under the impression Alisaie was going to be sort of calmer and more mature than Alphinaud, so it's been a pleasant surprise for her to instead be this hot-blooded character who likes kicking rear end and isn't as interested in the complex politics and stuff.

I'm on a boat now and just unlocked some Siren instance (that I'll do tomorrow because I need to go to bed). I wonder if this is the same Siren from that ARR MSQ quest from waaay back when I was getting the crystals to reach Garuda.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Anyone that joins a loot master party gets what they deserve.

They won't be getting a dog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hommando posted:

Anyone that joins a loot master party gets what they deserve.

They won't be getting a dog.

I honestly don't know who is dumb enough to believe the "staying until everyone gets one" thing. Even if you get absurdly lucky with whistles getting 8 of them is going to take an entire day.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
things like that were always kinda weird to me. the gms take poo poo like loot sniping etc very seriously, so I wonder if they would do anything here?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In patch 4.3, the "Classjob" file which holds data on all the current roles (includes bases like Gladiator, the DoH/L, and a slot 0 for "Adventurer" which is just a default and not actually used), which used to take up 35 rows but now had a 36th row. There was also a corresponding section added in "ClassJobCategory" which lists everything the relevant role can equip (everything set to False for placeholding). That's also when BlueMageAction showed up, too.
4.4 expanded "ClassJobCategory" with blank lines (more placeholding, expectedly), but also flipped on True values for the "36th job". It can equip "All Classes, Disciple of Magic, Disciple of War or Magic, and THM/ACN/BLM/SUM/RDM gear, has Break, Surecast, Swiftcast, Lucid Dreaming, Diversion, Addle, Apocatastasis, Drain, Mana Shift, and Erase for Role Actions, and has the PVP Limit Break Cometer.

Whether it'll be true or not that we get a new job with 4.5, it's probably a fair bet that whatever this is has been in more active progress than any other prospective new Job, even if just so they have something to show off as a tease during the FanFest cycle. That's probably kind of like a microcosm for expansion development, too - stuff is percolating in the back until they can drag in more active developer time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

things like that were always kinda weird to me. the gms take poo poo like loot sniping etc very seriously, so I wonder if they would do anything here?
I think someone asked them about it once and their stated policy is pretty much, if you willingly agree to participate in something stupid they're not going to save you, unless you can prove that they're defrauding people.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

homeless snail posted:

I'm just going off an interview from a month or so ago where he described the status of the next expansion as "two people in hell", which was him and a writer from the scenario team. So it sounds like its still in preproduction

I took the "in hell" quote to mean that they were the only ones for whom crunch time had started.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is that not literally what's happening? 'staying until we all get one' is, obviously, a dumb thing to believe, but it's still luring people in under false pretenses.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is that not literally what's happening? 'staying until we all get one' is, obviously, a dumb thing to believe, but it's still luring people in under false pretenses.
Yeah but you'd have to catch them saying "haha after we get our dogs we're gonna leave the other 5 suckers behind" when in reality they always just get Incredibly Busy after their friends get their dogs and have to log off.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, 'it was an accident' doesn't fly if you ninja some loot that you promised to someone else, so i don't know if that would fly.

i know when you get confronted about ACT you can just feign ignorance ad infinitem, but i think their metrics for loot are probably a little different given that you're affecting other players.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Pubbies are really bad at fighting Edda Blackblossom. Third time around I explained the mechanics and it went slightly better, got her to 40% health before the red mage activated her 5th rune.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Only fools join lootmaster parties for loot. I join them for the magic macguffin that gives me the weapons/mount. Gotta rack em up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Almost bought pants with Genesis tokens. :negative: