Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Stolen from the idiots on social media thread. Hope it hasn't been posted her before because I know I've seen similar stories.

https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1045042051992162310

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, but why take out a personal loan to save on interest if you're not paying any? I mean other than getting her on the hook for his debt.

You aren't really "gaming" the system if you have 10k in cc debt. I game it by buying everything on my credit cards for points, but I pay the full balance every month.
Because he's nearly over the intro period and probably out of cards that are willing to give him an offer so he's moving it again.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sales jobs sound like hellish nightmares of manipulation, faked friendships with douchebags and no meaningful work or fulfillment. Even more so than the regular corporate world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, that one came up and people were worried he was exploiting the people he was sleeping with since many of them might come from vulnerable situations.

Moon Atari posted:

Sales jobs sound like hellish nightmares of manipulation, faked friendships with douchebags and no meaningful work or fulfillment. Even more so than the regular corporate world.

Theyre also going to be some of the last jobs to be automated and pay phenomenally well while requiring no degree.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

It's actually really easy and fun if you like people and take it as the opportunity to meet and help them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also very fun if you like going to music concerts, nail salons, and sporting events with new people constantly.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Darkhold posted:

Stolen from the idiots on social media thread. Hope it hasn't been posted her before because I know I've seen similar stories.

https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1045042051992162310
Because he's nearly over the intro period and probably out of cards that are willing to give him an offer so he's moving it again.

Quoting an SA post containing an embedded tweet, taken from another SA thread, which contains screenshots of a post from a third SA thread where someone C&Ped a Reddit post, to say: yowza :eyepop:

A twist on the normal formula

Something different if you will

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Moon Atari posted:

It is all of these but some people really get off on all of that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Its also very fun if you like going to music concerts, nail salons, and sporting events with new people constantly.

It is! And a bunch of really smart people are in (certain kinds of) sales, since you have to know tons of things and be relatable to many people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's like being a really specific kind of lobbyist but you don't have to deal with politicians (specifically).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick posted:

It's actually really easy and fun if you like people and take it as the opportunity to meet and help them.

Yep. That's how I approach it. I have a really niche product that solves massive, production stopping issues for my customers. They all love me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We talking about sales? Let me just whip my deck out then

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The real issue with sales is that outbound cold calling will not work for anyone except a few savants anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sales is all about being able to make a living by artfully solving problems. The best thing is, if your product or service doesn't solve problems, it's probably on the loving engineers who hosed it up, certainly not you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats why you cold email.

Sorry everyone in sales Ive been ignoring, but Im transitioning off and your emails arent hilarious like the guy who wanted me to support his youtube gaming channel that had five videos on it. I thumbsdowned all five of his videos for wasting my time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

Sales is all about being able to make a living by artfully solving problems. The best thing is, if your product or service doesn't solve problems, it's probably on the loving engineers who hosed it up, certainly not you.

If it does work, though, it is of course all thanks to you artfully solving problems

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

loquacius posted:

Quoting an SA post containing an embedded tweet, taken from another SA thread, which contains screenshots of a post from a third SA thread where someone C&Ped a Reddit post, to say: yowza :eyepop:

A twist on the normal formula

Something different if you will
Modern Pandora opens relationships not boxes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

If it does work, though, it is of course all thanks to you artfully solving problems

:c00l:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darkhold posted:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Darkhold posted:

new thread title

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

"Sales" is a predatory, burden-shifting industry that pretends to be a meritocracy. Hey, this product has literally zero demand. We could advertise? No, that would cost too much money, lets have a bunch of shysters and hucksters convince a bunch of morons to advertise it for us but they'll only get paid if their advertising works, and if it works well enough then the morons can get promoted to huckster, with the promise of making Regional Vice Shyster one day, and they can go recruit other morons!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yawgmoth posted:

She has set up a really bad and stupid "rule" for herself that will absolutely cripple her in a sales position. 1-on-1 lunches are how you get and keep contracts and having some weird Pence-esque fear of the opposite sex and being anything close to alone with them is ridiculous for a number of reasons, chief among them being don't you trust yourself? Do you seriously lack the basic self control to not gently caress if offered? This woman's probably gonna blow up her career and her marriage with that kind of paranoia.
Reading between the lines, she’s making it up as an excuse because she finds the guy gross (look at the name she gives him) and needs a diplomatic out. If you’re not meeting potential marks clients for dinners/drinks/etc., your sales job includes asking every customer, “would you like fries with that?”

Sales is a good job and one you can work and sleep soundly if you legitimately work to find win-wins.

Leon Einstein posted:

So how do you have 10k in credit card debt, yet somehow aren't accruing any interest? I mean, I suppose he could have a zero percent rate for a promotional period, but if that were the case, why would you get a loan? Yeah, this is all bullshit.
I read this as he’s paying down the full interest charges assessed each month, not just the minimum due, to avoid the snowballing of interest getting rolled into the balance. So not the worst move, but not really commmendable.

Two more things:
1. “We have a running, perfectly accurate spreadsheet of what he “owes” to me.”
2. “[He has] Credit cards (to earn relevant rewards points, managed very well by him).”

1: She will never see dime one of any of this money. Love how she puts “owes” in quotation marks — should be single scare quotes, frankly.
2: Unless he travels/entertains for work and can bill reimbursable expenses on his personal credit card, the doofus is almost certainly trading an annual fee and a worse APR (because we know he’s not paying his bill off in full every month) in exchange for a modicum of hotel points or flight miles that will take forever to accumulate to any usable total, not counting the usual initial 30K mile bonus or whatever for signing up and spending $1K-ish, which he presumably already has gotten.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

"Sales" is a predatory, burden-shifting industry that pretends to be a meritocracy. Hey, this product has literally zero demand. We could advertise? No, that would cost too much money, lets have a bunch of shysters and hucksters convince a bunch of morons to advertise it for us but they'll only get paid if their advertising works, and if it works well enough then the morons can get promoted to huckster, with the promise of making Regional Vice Shyster one day, and they can go recruit other morons!

What salesperson hurt you?

Also everything you described is inapplicable to what others described above. Great advertising or no, you won’t get people to consistently buy complex and expensive products if they’re not getting value of it.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Moon Atari posted:

Salespeople are just spies looking to get good info (your money). They are fundamentally unprincipled and hold no allegiance to any ideology or creed except the cult of self, just like the atheists.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I read this as he’s paying down the full interest charges assessed each month, not just the minimum due, to avoid the snowballing of interest getting rolled into the balance. So not the worst move, but not really commmendable.
She literally said he is not paying interest. I'm sure the others were right when they said he was on a promotional 0% rate, and he's about to be turbofucked by 20% or higher interest on his 10k balance. Credit card debt is one of the worst things you can have, and it can cripple even high incomes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

Also everything you described is inapplicable to what others described above. Great advertising or no, you won’t get people to consistently buy complex and expensive products if they’re not getting value of it.

Hmmm, yes, the free market will weed out immoral sales behavior :thunk:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

sticksy posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lockheed-f35/lockheed-made-f-35-jet-price-falls-in-latest-batch-pentagon-idUSKCN1M81WB

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Short and sweet.

My [23 F] ex boyfriend [25 M] and dad [55 M] are doctors. I’m going on a date with a med school student, how do I explain my knowledge of medical school/board exams/residency applications without bringing up my ex or my dad?
u/throwaway7483920287

quote:

Title explains most of it. I don’t want to bring up my dad or my ex in a first date because bringing up my dad indicates daddy issues (which I totally have but that’s besides the point) and bringing up my ex indicates I’m not over him (which is kind of true but again, besides the point). How do I explain my understanding of medical school, board exams, residency applications etc. without bringing these people up? Do I feign ignorance?

TL;DR How do I explain my knowledge of lesser known medical school processes without bringing up my dad or ex on a first date?

Guys, my flags are red. Any tips?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sticksy posted:

which is why you need a good solid engineering team to ensure the effectiveness and reliability of your product, I agree

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
An engineer only succeeds if their product "works", a salesperson can make a product succeed whether or not it's good. They're the ones who actually make the difference.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

burial posted:

Short and sweet.

My [23 F] ex boyfriend [25 M] and dad [55 M] are doctors. I’m going on a date with a med school student, how do I explain my knowledge of medical school/board exams/residency applications without bringing up my ex or my dad?
u/throwaway7483920287

How is this a problem?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

How is this a problem?

She is going to critique his knowledge and compare him to her ex and father for hours so she wants to know how to avoid doing that without just not doing that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

An engineer only succeeds if their product "works", a salesperson can make a product succeed whether or not it's good. They're the ones who actually make the difference.

For a definition of "make the difference" that covers selling a product that doesn't work, anyway :v:

Really though, a good salesperson can sell someone worthless bullshit, but it's moot because a good engineer will not make worthless bullshit to begin with. A bad salesperson, conversely, will fail to sell a good product (ask me about working at Microsoft)

For a product to succeed, everybody has to do their job right, shock :monocle:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

burial posted:

Short and sweet.

u/throwaway7483920287

She's way overthinking it, I sincerely doubt her date is going to raise an eyebrow and go "waaaaait a second, you're hiding something" because she knows what residency means, and even if he asks innocently she can just say "oh I've dated a med student before" and the flag isn't red unless she then continues to talk about her ex for twenty minutes

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I just thought it was funny how forthright she is. “So, I mean, I DO have daddy issues and I AM hung up on my ex, but that’s neither here nor there.” At least she knows herself.

She seriously is overthinking it. Times about a million. Especially the first part. No one is going to go “She mentioned her father in passing. Going to have to rethink this date.” Unless, as you say, she then ALSO mentions her ex and launches into some detailed thing about how her date doesn’t have anything to worry about because

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pick posted:

They can make a sale. They can't make the product succeed.

That's even more apparent in marketing. Bad marketing can sink a good product, but good marketing will never make a bad product good. You can only polish a turd so many times.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

burial posted:

Short and sweet.

u/throwaway7483920287

I'd say going "oh, my dad is a doctor" is probably better than bring up your ex on a first date, but she apparently has some version of ~The Rules~ where mentioning your father in any way is strictly verboten.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to see who wins the Noble Prize for Sales this year, they really are the heroes of society.

I [24F] feel overwhelmed by a salesman's [~25M] attempt to contact me
I'm not sure if this is even the right place for this but I need advice. This is such a stupid problem I feel silly.

A few days ago I test drove a car simply on the basis of loving it online but since it's a rare make for my city, I was curious about some of the features. I was very upfront about this when requesting a test drive as I am still in the early stages of even deciding to purchase a new car.

When giving my information I left my parents phone number and address. I typically do this for any initial point of contact and decide after if the person/organization needs my cellphone number. This might sound ridiculous but after a few incidents of my information being used to stalk/harass me, my parents and I are both happy to do this.

Right before the test drive a different salesman pulled up my file they had created when I made the appointment over the phone. I could see my file and the file for each other person with the same last name as me. The file showed their full name, address, and phone number. I comment that my brother had been in recently, the salesman laughs, and leaves me alone with the screen pulled up showing me this information. I decide right then and there I'm uncomfortable giving them my "real" information.

So after the test drive here I am back at the dealership .. We agree this isn't the car for me but discuss coming back at some point to test out other makes/models. I tell him i'll contact him.

While I would expect him to initiate further communication with me, I didn't expect him to start contacting me with information I didn't provide him. He's calling my office (number is not publicly listed/part of a directory), sending me messages on LinkedIn, and making me feel a little overwhelmed. I'm sure he's a very nice and sincere person (I don't think his motives of contacting me are anything other than to sell me a car) but I'm not really sure how to respond.

The issue I have with responding is I am half the face of the company I work for and am afraid of representing it poorly. If this were my personal life i would know exactly what to do to but I'm more so worried about ensuring my company's image isn't compromised.

I'm nervous if I respond "Thank you for reaching out to me but at this point I am still not decided on purchasing a new car" he will send me a rebuttal and I'll be right back where I started.

I'm also nervous to not give him an explanation as I'm sure he'll keep digging deeper to find new ways to contact me.

I feel silly for not knowing exactly how to approach this but it's the first time this type of thing has happened with my work related contact information.

tl;dr: Salesman is contacting me at work now and I'm not sure how to get him to stop

Me [25F] with my inlaws [40s m/f] upset that we didn't take them on vacation

My husband [26M] and I [25F] have been together for ten years. My stepmother in law [40s] and father in law [40s?] have always been a complete nightmare. They are horrible, nasty people who treat both my husband and I equally awfully, but in different ways. They constantly trash me to my husband over the smallest things (not driving 30 minutes out of my way to drop something unnecessary off at their house, among other things), have accused me of "using" him when we were younger because he would drive on our dates when I legally couldn't, etc etc.

They have never supported my husband financially or emotionally. My father in law is a used car salesman who has always privileged his son from his second marriage over my husband. He did not support my husband through high school or college. My husband worked and paid for everything by himself. They incentivized college by saying that they would buy him a car when we graduated, but then they said they would put that money towards our wedding, and then we never saw that money. I could have seen that coming.

Recently, we took my parents on a vacation to say thank you for all they have done for us. They paid for my ivy league education, most of my wedding (at their insistence, I wasn't really keen on having a wedding to begin with) and have been so wonderful and supportive to the both of us. In fact, my parents intervened and helped my husband out when we were young and his parents couldn't be bothered to give a poo poo. Ironically, FIL encouraged my husband to take advantage of my parent's goodwill and generosity.

FIL and (step)MIL did not contribute a penny to our wedding or college education. They also got upset that the little brother would not be best man, and that we didn't pay stepMIL's mother to be the photographer. (she is a horrible photographer, we agreed we didn't want her)

My husband let it slip to his family that we paid my parent's way for a vacation, and FIL and stepMIL exploded. They went on and on about how it wasn't fair and how they deserved something like that too. My husband was initially in agreement that he wouldn't mention it to his parents, but they somehow coaxed it out of him.

FIL had the nerve to ask why they weren't "invited" on this vacation. I told them that next time I would be more than happy to let them know what we planned on doing far in advance, so they could start saving up for it. They said that it wasn't fair that we treated my parents and not them, yada yada yada. FIL seems to forget that husband has two sets of parents due to the divorce and taking all four of them on a vacation would not be possible. I told them this, along with the fact that the vacation was a thank you to my parents for all that they had done for us, from college to the wedding. FIL said that it "wasn't his responsibility" as the grooms family to contribute ot the wedding. I mentioned college, and he said that "he couldn't afford to help out". Mind you, FIL was going to vegas to party and paying for the younger brother to play expensive club sports, but I digress. I told him that they did not treat us (and especially me) the way that family should treat family and that I was not going to fund a vacation for people who treat us like garbage and have never once prioritized us or our wellbeing. He went off on how much of a disrespectful bitch i was, and blah blahblah.

I think this should be the hill I die on, but my husband feels bad that his parents our upset. Any and all help is appreciated.

tl;dr: FIL and stepMIL are upset that we didn't take them on vacation, despite never doing anything for us. I want to cut contact, husband feels bad.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Slow down with the fancy talkin' there Dr. Kildare

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

blarzgh posted:

Sounds more like you are describing a MLM scam than straight up sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

burial posted:

I just thought it was funny how forthright she is. “So, I mean, I DO have daddy issues and I AM hung up on my ex, but that’s neither here nor there.” At least she knows herself.

She seriously is overthinking it. Times about a million. Especially the first part. No one is going to go “She mentioned her father in passing. Going to have to rethink this date.” Unless, as you say, she then ALSO mentions her ex and launches into some detailed thing about how her date doesn’t have anything to worry about because

Yeah on a repeat reading she does seem to be worried that either of these people happening to come up in conversation will irresistibly cause her to devote the rest of the evening to discussing them and there's nothing she can do about it