Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

axelblaze posted:

I'm imagining a fight where you play Bowser and you have to prevent Mario from getting to the Bridge axe.

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more fanart of Mario going completely viking berzerker with that axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think someone should make a game where you play as an NPC that's slowly gaining independence.

Like, you you slowly have to figure out how to do things other than your programmed routine, learn how to say things other than your canned responses, cope with the reality that all of your friends and families are automatons and the only other sentient creatures are off fighting existential evils.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PantsBandit posted:

I think someone should make a game where you play as an NPC that's slowly gaining independence.

Like, you you slowly have to figure out how to do things other than your programmed routine, learn how to say things other than your canned responses, cope with the reality that all of your friends and families are automatons and the only other sentient creatures are off fighting existential evils.

I only know the basic premise but there's a game that came out recently where you're a generic monster that kills the main character which... isn't supposed to happen. So he's forced into the hero role and has to play a part he's not familiar with. You can talk to former co-workers and stuff.

Meant to look more into it so no idea if it's even good but came to mind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

maybe not exactly but at least in part sounds like the premise of the stanley parable

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I only know the basic premise but there's a game that came out recently where you're a generic monster that kills the main character which... isn't supposed to happen. So he's forced into the hero role and has to play a part he's not familiar with. You can talk to former co-workers and stuff.

Meant to look more into it so no idea if it's even good but came to mind.

That's Underhero.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

PantsBandit posted:

Sounds like Detroit: Too Human

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was thinking Metal Gear Solid 2 and NieR: Automata myself.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sounds like Detroit: Too Human

Raxivace posted:

I was thinking Metal Gear Solid 2 and NieR: Automata myself.

Similar ideas, but I really like the idea of couching it in the context of an actual video-game npc because I think it could lead to some fun, meta story beats about what it would be like to wake up and realize you've spent your whole existence standing by a save-point saying "The temple is that way...but watch your step!" whenever a player passes by.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
he wants to play as monika and stand in the mirror and touch her boobs

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I actually thought this might be the twist to CrossCode, because the main character starts out unable to speak and her handler has to manually program in individual words for her. I was expecting it to be revealed that, of course she can't form sentences at will, she's only programmed with so many words and phrases.

I don't think it's going to turn out that way though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No Wave posted:

he wants to play as monika and stand in the mirror and touch her boobs

Who doesn't?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Please download my new Nintendo smut search engine, Browsette

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What happens if someone who's already a princess wears the Super Crown???

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

She is rude now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what happens if sonic wears the crown

find out on my all new website

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Awaken, my mayor

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hm I don't like this I don't think

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ew

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat mother 3

yeah it's my favorite mother game now

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

hm I don't like this I don't think

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/ninpoapipipi/status/1045639196231098368

In the official art book there's art of a scrapped plot point of Bowser having a Cappy of his own. Judging by the thread title I want that to just sit with you for a moment.

Bowsette was a psyop put into place by Nintendo through select fan artists to keep the discourse surrounding the launch of the Switch's paid online lower than it could have been.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

why did you post this

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
are we being punished

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Colonel posted:

i beat mother 3

I feel like it's a 9.5/10 for me that could have been one of the best ever if chapter 7 through the end wasn't so dang unfinished. But everything up until Thunder Tower is amazing and the ending is good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Colonel posted:

i beat mother 3

Earthbound was very important to my childhood but if I can separate nostalgia from it, I think I agree with this.

Unrelated: Has anyone in here had much time with Timespinner?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

No Wave posted:

I feel like it's a 9.5/10 for me that could have been one of the best ever if chapter 7 through the end wasn't so dang unfinished. But everything up until Thunder Tower is amazing and the ending is good.

i think chapter 8 was incredibly strong but chapter 7 definitely is just, a bit frustrating to go through because it's just an entire chapter flip-flopping between being really great and really tedious

i don't think it's unfinished though so much as, it's the one chapter taking a vaguely open-ended structure and they didn't really bother writing alternate dialog to consider who you have in your party so everyone is awkwardly silent for most of it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The M3 combat system is just plain better, it's a more fun game in 2018 for that reason alone imo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

why is he wearing a 69 shirt

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mother 3 is too depressing especially when it acknowledges how useless the elderly and disabled are in a capitalist society where the workforce are resources to be used up and thrown away.

I just want to chill with the ghosts.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

My friend, let me tell you about 2017's runner up GOTY Doki Doki Literature Club

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

mother 3 is too depressing especially when it acknowledges how useless the elderly and disabled are in a capitalist society where the workforce are resources to be used up and thrown away.

I just want to chill with the ghosts.

mother 3 being an extremely depressing exploration of its own themes as well as themes established in mother 1 and 2 is good and why its ending being kind of weirdly optimistic has an impact

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my mother 3 theory is that lucas getting into smash is canon to mother 3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

My friend, let me tell you about 2017's runner up GOTY Doki Doki Literature Club

Oh yeah, now that you mention it I had heard Doki Doki had some of these elements. I really need to play that game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Man that was last year already?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Doki was probably mindblowing to teenagers who had never seen a work exploring those questions but I found it kinda cliche. It doesn't help that it spend the first 2 hours pretending to be a different genre than it is, but the genre its disguising itself as (and doing it well) is boring cliche tripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
doki doki literature club's big meta gimmick isn't exactly even unique among vns, though its popularity might've contributed to the existing example of the same gimmick getting translated into english

• Locked thread